Riga Dom Boys Choir

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

Malibu
Silver Member

Riga Dom Boys Choir

Post by Malibu »

I'm sure some (most) of you have heard of them, but I just stumbled across a video using them as the backing track. I had never heard them before. They don't seem to have much up on youtube, but the little bit I've heard, they sound great.
You can search them on youtube if you want to listen. They don't seem to have much there though.
Tim
Last edited by Malibu on Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lead, kindly light amid the circling gloom.
Lead thou me on.
The night is dark and I am far from home.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Riga Dom Boys Choir

Post by Yorkie »

Liked the song but the video is of questionable taste - I couldn't watch it all the way through and there are some disturbing links in the sidebar and iffy comments.

Murkskis is likely our biggest expert on them.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Malibu
Silver Member

Post by Malibu »

Yorkie wrote:Liked the song but the video is of questionable taste - I couldn't watch it all the way through and there are some disturbing links in the sidebar and iffy comments.

Murkskis is likely our biggest expert on them.
Yes I agree, that's why I mentioned it was an "interesting" video. Still a good song in my opinion.
Lead, kindly light amid the circling gloom.
Lead thou me on.
The night is dark and I am far from home.
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

I agree that the song is very nice and of course I have seen this before, but to tell you honestly- the images make me feel uneasy...

I have attended one of their concerts that were held the last year and they sound more than good in a church environment. Click on the link to their website if anyone is willing to find out more about this choir :)
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

They have two concerts in Germany:

15.06.2012 20:00[tab=30] Weingarten Basilika[tab=30]Tickets can be requested/reserved > here <

16.06.2012 16:00[tab=30] Konstanz Münster[tab=30]Tickets

Hope to see some known faces :D
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

Here the review of the visit of the German-Tour from the Riga Dom Choir boys.

By chance I saw on their website that they planned a tour in Germany. Unfortunately without specifying the dates and places. So I made an email and three hours later I received the answer. The first concert was in the Basilica of Weingarten and the second one in the Cathedral of Constance.

The Riga Dom Boys Choir was represented by 27 Boys in the age between 8 to 15 years (suggested) and 8 men (as I could read somewhere they are professional singers), the Music-Director Martins Klishans and the Organist Aija Zingite.

The choice of songs for the concert was perfect and it showed me the wide range of their skills. Unfortunatelly the concerts wasn't visited very well. I estimate that in Weingarten there was around 300 people but in Constance it was terrible. I don't think that we reached the 100 (hope I'm wrong :? ).

On both concerts I was placed in the first row direct by the center aisle of the church. The distance from my place to the first row of the choir was max. 2m in Weingarten and approx. 3m in Constance. And as they did sing without any electronic equipment I had the luck to 'pick out' the voices of more or less each member.

Now the programm with some links, unfortunately there is not so much on YT from the RDBC, so I had to take some other artists

A cappella in front of the altar
[td=border:1px solid #cccccc;] Ugis Praulins[/td][td=border:1px solid #cccccc;][url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNnHULKkm68]Kyrie and Sanctus from Messa Rigensis[/url][/td][td=border:1px solid #cccccc;] Peteris Vasks[/td][td=border:1px solid #cccccc;][url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0D9Ayyfp90]Madrigal[/url][/td][td=border:1px solid #cccccc;] Urmas Sisask[/td][td=border:1px solid #cccccc;] Ave Maria[/td][td=border:1px solid #cccccc;] Anton Brucker[/td][td=border:1px solid #cccccc;][url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmmUJkanMEE]Locus iste[/url][/td][td=border:1px solid #cccccc;] Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy[/td][td=border:1px solid #cccccc;][url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y1syzHxiNU]43rd Psalm Judge me, O God[/url][/td][td=border:1px solid #cccccc;] Sergej Rachmaninov[/td][td=border:1px solid #cccccc;] [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIgy63b5ack]Bogoroditse Devo[/url][/td]
Choir with organ from the organ gallery
[td=border:1px solid #cccccc;]Johann Sebastian Bach / Charles Gounod[/td][td=border:1px solid #cccccc;][url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paSDWbq5cbc]Ave Maria[/url][/td][td=border:1px solid #cccccc;]Marcel Dupré[/td][td=border:1px solid #cccccc;][url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXGwdLbYLSs]O Salutaris[/url][/td][td=border:1px solid #cccccc;]César Franck[/td][td=border:1px solid #cccccc;]Panis angelicus (Solo: Janis Kursevs)[/td][td=border:1px solid #cccccc;]Camille Saint-Saëns[/td][td=border:1px solid #cccccc;]Tu es Petrus[/td][td=border:1px solid #cccccc;]Georg Friedrich Händel[/td][td=border:1px solid #cccccc;]Hallelujah (only in Weingarten)[/td][td=border:1px solid #cccccc;]John Rutter[/td][td=border:1px solid #cccccc;]Gloria[/td]
Final a cappella in front of the altar
[td=border:1px solid #cccccc;]Arijs Skepasts[/td][td=border:1px solid #cccccc;][url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKygJ-dAgrg]Es gulu gulu[/url][/td][td=border:1px solid #cccccc;]Selga Mence[/td][td=border:1px solid #cccccc;][url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCpjvNrDRso]Neba maize pate nãca[/url][/td]
Encore (only in Constance)

A variation of 'Neba maize pate nãca', they showed us in an impressiv way what can be done with different volume levels. Amazing!

The quality of voices and pronunciations was extremly good. It didn't import in which language they sung, german, french, latin, I couldn't here any accent - the voices clear like a mountain-spring with some incredible trebbles. I was blown away. When I decided to go to both concerts I did it because I was sure that they are good. But never I expected such a high level. On my personal 'choir charts' they landed in the top three.

More or less all the songs was sung at least with 3 to 5 harmonies (or maybe more). I tried more then once to count them with the help of my fingers as a 'temporary memory' - but on the end of the song I found me with two stretched fingers but the song was so nice that I forgotte to count. :lol:

Even when the choir sung the same songs on both concerts, they sounded different, based on the different acoustics of the churches. I myself liked more the one of the Basilica in Weingarten, for me it contained more 'body'.

An nice idea was to cover the time when the choir went from the Altar to the organ gallery with some organ music. Well, Aija Zingite is an amazing organ player and to listen to J.S.Bach 'Toccata and Fugue' played on the Gabler-Organ was an expirience.

The cherry on top of this concert visit: After the concert in Weingarten they sold some CD (well, a Christmas-CD and we had a outside temperatur of 30°C - but after the 'King penguins' temperatur inside the Basilica... quite ok). But as usual there was to less change for the back money, so I explained to the friendly women that I'll also be in Constance and she can give me the money tomorrow, she agreed and then following an inspiration I asked if I can leave the CD here and she let it sign from the coir members. I had the impression that she was happy about that question and so I left the basilica without CD and with less money, followed by disbelieving lookes of some visitors (but honestly, if you can't trust a member of a Cathedral Choir - then whom else?).

Next day we met in the minster and she gave the change and the CD

Well, for me it's a nice souvenir of an amazing concert-trip and I hope that the choir members recognized this as a sign of appreciation for their hard work to bring up such a good job. :D
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Thanks for the write up Tony, sounds like you had a great time. Of course I have two questions: If Riga Dom are now in your top three choirs, which other two choirs make up your top three and who did they knock out? Secondly which of Bach's Tocatta & Fugue's were played? I assume BWV 565 (D minor, my favourite) but there are others.

Wish I'd asked you to grab me a copy of their CD :(

Mercy & Love
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

Yorkie wrote:Of course I have two questions: If Riga Dom are now in your top three choirs, which other two choirs make up your top three and who did they knock out?
Off course but maybe the next time from Pint to Pint :lol:
Yorkie wrote:Secondly which of Bach's Tocatta & Fugue's were played? I assume BWV 565 (D minor, my favourite) but there are others.
Yes, your right :P
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

viabuona wrote:
Yorkie wrote:Of course I have two questions: If Riga Dom are now in your top three choirs, which other two choirs make up your top three and who did they knock out?
Oh please, don't leave the rest of us guessing :)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote:
viabuona wrote:
Oh please, don't leave the rest of us guessing :)
....and a pint may be a long way off as there doesn't seem to be much news from Libera about any summer concerts. Really love the first one of these two songs and the second one is pretty good too:

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

And these guys really know how to mix it up - what do you make of rapping in Latin?

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

Mercy & Love
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

Thought that I would wake up some interest :lol:

Here is a link where you can hear the entire CD Odi et amo. In a more common language: hated and loved. 8)
Off Topic
The names off the other choirs doesn't belong to this thread :mrgreen:
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

Wow, the last video really is a Rap-Rock-Mix, what a great idea!
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

viabuona wrote:Here the review of the visit of the German-Tour from the Riga Dom Choir boys.
It was a true pleasure to read your review, Tony!
Thank you very much indeed! :)
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote:
And these guys really know how to mix it up - what do you make of rapping in Latin?
Strange to say but I actually kind of liked it... though I'm not sure I would listen to it very often :wink:
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

Here a Video of the performance at Kennedy Center's Millennium Stage on Friday, June 4, 2010