Other Choirs, Singers, Musicians that you like

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Re: Other Choirs and/or Singers that you like

Post by maartendas »

Thanks for finding out about this choir!

From their website:
"[...] the chorus ... regularly collaborates with such major artists and institutions as Carnegie Hall, The New York Pops, the Stephen Petronio Dance Company, the Kronos Quartet, and American Ballet Theatre, among many others."
I think Libera should get on that list ;)

And they are incredibly big! :shock: (in some of the videos and pictures anyway... they have a varying group of kids singing, as I understand from their website) I do think a choir can reach a point where they just get *too* big. If only for the training of the choristers' singing capacities. If you have a large enough group of people, you're bound to sound great anyway. Plus maybe it's hard to feel really an essential part of a choir if you're just one of dozens and dozens. But hey, maybe that's just my European view - in America all things are bigger, right ;) ;) After all, the kids do seem to be having a blast...
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
jesuspeace34

Post by jesuspeace34 »

This is the most beautiful song that I have heard in a long time.

[youtube][/youtube]
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

It is indeed a beautiful song. I had never heard that version before. You may know the song was made famous by Simon &Garfunkel:

[youtube][/youtube]

Or I should say "famous AGAIN" because apparently it's based on a really old minstrel melody. I also have a recording of the song played by a group of recorder players which sounds really enchanting. I used it once in a one-off performance with a group of other poets and musicians in a 30-minute created piece about war and peace, which sounded great, very gripping.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote:Or I should say "famous AGAIN" because apparently it's based on a really old minstrel melody. I also have a recording of the song played by a group of recorder players which sounds really enchanting. I used it once in a one-off performance with a group of other poets and musicians in a 30-minute created piece about war and peace, which sounded great, very gripping.
Scarborough is in Yorkshire you know. Just saying.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

maartendas wrote:It is indeed a beautiful song. I had never heard that version before. You may know the song was made famous by Simon &Garfunkel:

Or I should say "famous AGAIN" because apparently it's based on a really old minstrel melody. I also have a recording of the song played by a group of recorder players which sounds really enchanting. I used it once in a one-off performance with a group of other poets and musicians in a 30-minute created piece about war and peace, which sounded great, very gripping.
Oh my.that takes me so far back. Simon and Garfunkle were the first album I ever bought as a young teen ager. James Sponge a young Episcopal priest made his stand in North Carolina, and they burned crosses on his lawn. The Episcopal church moved him to Lynchburg, Virginia and they began burning coprses on his lawn again. His wife lost her mind, his family began a 20 year battle to weather her gradual decline in sanity and health. James Sponge was moved to New Jersey by the Episcopal church where eventually he took up the cause of yet another minority group, but decades of battling his wife's madness cost him his faith. Here in Lynchburg those who opposed him prospered, Highways named after them, their university the most profitable non-profit colleger in the country and despite their loud opposiion to "big government" their college receivwes more federal funding than any other institution of learning in the state.

So I remember a bunch if teen aged kids in bell bottom pants and tie-dyed shirts gathering in the basement of an Episcopal church for weekend "coffee house" listening to Simon and Garfunkel, Peter Paul and Mary, Bob Dylan and Joan Byez promising a better day to come. If only we had known who we were up against.
Last edited by viabuona on Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quoted Video
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

maartendas wrote:It is indeed a beautiful song. I had never heard that version before. You may know the song was made famous by Simon &Garfunkel:

Oh my.that takes me so far back. Simon and Garfunkle were the first album I ever bought as a young teen ager. James Sponge a young Episcopal priest made his stand in North Carolina, and they burned crosses on his lawn. The Episcopal church moved him to Lynchburg, Virginia and they began burning coprses on his lawn again. His wife lost her mind, his family began a 20 year battle to weather her gradual decline in sanity and health. James Sponge was moved to New Jersey by the Episcopal church where eventually he took up the cause of yet another minority group, but decades of battling his wife's madness cost him his faith. Here in Lynchburg those who opposed him prospered, Highways named after them, their university the most profitable non-profit colleger in the country and despite their loud opposiion to "big government" their college receivwes more federal funding than any other institution of learning in the state.

So I remember a bunch if teen aged kids in bell bottom pants and tie-dyed shirts gathering in the basement of an Episcopal church for weekend "coffee house" listening to Simon and Garfunkel, Peter Paul and Mary, Bob Dylan and Joan Byez promising a better day to come. If only we had known who we were up against.
Last edited by viabuona on Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quoted Video
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Tully, your story is quite shocking but also lacking in some information. Who were "they" and what was the deal with them opposing an Epsicopalian priest?? I know it's off topic but I couldn't really keep it hanging in the air like that...

Back on topic though.. ;) Last evening I heard the Roden Boys Choir again and they are now officially my 2nd favourite choir after Libera! They sang an Evensong at the protestant St. Bavo church in Haarlem (as guests, as they themselves come from Roden which is in a totally different part of the Netherlands). I expected quite a lot of them and boy did they deliver. It already started during the Introit sung from the back of the church (where the original quire and altar from before the Reformation still stand). It was a setting of The Lord is my shepherd by Colin Mawby for organ and treble solo and the soloist Roman Krjemenevsky produced a wonderful ethereal sound in the fine acoustics of the church. A little bit too much echo sometimes in order to follow the words but I heard a lady behind me say "little angel" and I agreed ;) (I know, where have we heard that before... ;))

After the choir had taken their place we sang 'Come Holy Ghost our hearts inspire' and it was great to be able to sing under the direction of the Roden Boys Choir's director who is a very enthusiastic man and very inspiring to look at when he conducts. He conveys a passion for music and singing. I got to talk to him after the service and one of the first things he asked me is whether I sing too, which for me kind of underlined how he is just interested in people singing :)
The Preces (the actual 'opening' of the shared prayer) had a powerful closing chord on the word 'praised' and after it was finished I noticed for the first time the magnificent echo this church has. They really sent a beautiful and glorious sound into the air - like a prayer of sound going up...

But nothing prepared me for the amazing Magnificat and Nunc dimittis settings by composer Bryan Kelly who I had never heard of. They were very dramatic and musical and to great effect. Very dance-like, full of contrast and staccato notes (the Magnificat, the Nunc dimittis was more solemn) and the Amen ended with a really long note on the 'A' (I think four bars), really strong, and very high for the trebles, and an abrupt and strong 'men', almost like a door slammed shut. Striking effect. Once again in these pieces the echo they sent up through the building was amazing.

And it is wonderful not only to hear but also to see. One of the things that struck me once more about this choir was their concentration and passion for singing. Such a sight to watch, something that adds to how the music moves me. Can't quite explain it, but it's very intense. I can recall it just now.

The Anthem was Howells' Like as the hart desireth the waterbrooks (a setting of verses of Psalm 42), a very solemn and beautiful piece. The program didn't mention the name of the piece for the organ voluntary but it was very festive, probably baroque, and it sounded splendid on the famous St. Bavo organ.

I stayed with my friend a little longer in the church to look at the various windows, the old quire etc and when we left, the boys and men of the choir were also just preparing to leave, dressed in their leisure wear again, and as we walked past them it was like walking past big stars... :)
This morning I signed myself up to be a Friend of the choir which means I give an annual donation and in return I get a free CD, 4 newsletters a year, a schedule of their concerts and reductions on CD's.

For those of you near Peterborough, Leicester and Cambridge, they will be singing there at the end of this month, so I heartily recommend you check them out :D (--edit: today I received the newsletter which has some different information so I edited the details below - please check the actual churches etc for confirmation)
Sun 24 July Eucharist Peterborough Cathedral, Peterborough 10.30 am
Sun 24 July Evensong Peterborough Cathedral, Peterborough 3.30 pm
Mon July 25 Evensong St. Mary's University Church, Cambridge 6.30 pm
Tue July 26 Evensong St. John's College Chapel, Cambridge 6.30 pm
Wed July 27 Evensong Leicester Cathedral, Leicester 6.30 pm
Thu July 28 Evensong St. John's College Chapel, Cambridge 6.30 pm
(ah, how I wish I could come.. ;))

Here's a picture of the St. Bavo church (I didn't take pictures of the choir, it didn't feel appropriate during a prayer service):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Last edited by maartendas on Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

I like their turquoise robes at Roden Boys Choir. Looked at their website, are there 3 different choirs in the image gallery? Or belong all three to Roden Boys Choir?
Found a vid of them
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yes their robes are gorgeous :)
The picture you are talking about was taken at the Three Choirs Festival, recently held in Breda ;) The choir on the left is Roden, the other two are Haarlem and Breda choirs (I think I posted about the event earlier in the thread)
Great video!
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

maartendas wrote:Tully, your story is quite shocking but also lacking in some information. Who were "they" and what was the deal with them opposing an Epsicopalian priest?? I know it's off topic but I couldn't really keep it hanging in the air like that...
The KKK - and their fellow travellers. James Sponge was an outspoken defender of desegregation and the civil rights movement.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Thank you Tully for your explanation. Dark times indeed.

Here's a small tribute I made to the choir of St. Paul's Cathedral. The trebles sound so tight and clear in this, esp. their 'solo' part from 0:40 on - I thought I was hearing a solo voice! I assume it was a selection of trebles singing there (either cantoris or decani perhaps?)

[youtube][/youtube]
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

I don't want to clutter this thread but - listen to this!
Maybe someone with a better musical hearing than me can tell us what the highest note is that the treble soloist (David de Winter - a Dutch name 8) ) hits at 2:20 and 5:50, and whether we know a Libera song with that note in it (Yorkie?)

[youtube][/youtube]

(--edit: about the UK visit of Roden Boys Choir that I mentioned earlier in the thread, please see a few posts above for edited details.. :wink:)
exultate

Post by exultate »

This is child choir from Czech republic. I singing in this choir:)
Gaudete Et Exsultate: [youtube][/youtube]
The music is everywhere. All you have to do is listen.
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

exultate wrote:This is child choir from Czech republic. I singing in this choir:)
Gaudete Et Exsultate:
That's so nice! It's good that you enjoy it! :D

I just found this video on the web- impressive!
[youtube][/youtube]
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

exultate wrote:This is child choir from Czech republic. I singing in this choir:)
Gaudete Et Exsultate:
That's very sweet, when was that recorded?