Panis angelicus - Jaymi Bandtock and Sam Harper

Talk about Libera Videos, Movies and Photos here.

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Panis angelicus - Jaymi Bandtock and Sam Harper

Post by maartendas »

Wow.. I've been watching different Youtube clips of Libera/St Philips Boys Choir singing Panis Angelicus throughout the day, only to find the most stunning one just before going to bed... The feeling this gave me is close to the way I felt when I was first discovering Libera. The simplicity, the sincerity in the singing, the robes (more old-fashioned than the current robes, in a very nice way)... I have fallen in love with Jaymi Bandtock's solo on this song, and his voice paired with Sam Harper's is an ideal match.
I am not 100% sure it is live. But maybe 99% ;) which would make this even more wow :)

[youtube][/youtube]
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
BrightEyes
Silver Member

Re: Panis angelicus - Jaymi Bandtock and Sam Harper

Post by BrightEyes »

Thanks for posting this Maarten :)

It appears to be live, but since we never see any audience shots it's hard to tell. I love all of the old St. Philips material so this was very special.

Jaymi and Sam did a fine job, and the joining in of the rest of the choir at the end is very nice!
"How can the light that burned so brightly, Suddenly burn so pale?"
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Songs of Praise 1987 - as we know SoP doesn't tend to record Libera videos live today but this song wasn't released on an album until 1988's Sing Forever (track 12) so it might be live. We know Jaymi and Sam sang Sing For Ever (think that's how the song is titled on that album) live on several occasions.

Now, what really intrigues me is it was just a couple of days ago when I was thinking about what the best version of Panis was and how Daniel's version would stack up. You must be reading my mind :shock:
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote:Songs of Praise 1987 - as we know SoP doesn't tend to record Libera videos live today but this song wasn't released on an album until 1988's Sing Forever (track 12) so it might be live. We know Jaymi and Sam sang Sing For Ever (think that's how the song is titled on that album) live on several occasions.

Now, what really intrigues me is it was just a couple of days ago when I was thinking about what the best version of Panis was and how Daniel's version would stack up. You must be reading my mind :shock:
Always trying to serve you as best I can, Yorkie :mrgreen:

I know the video of Jaymi and Sam singing Sing Forever, one of the great and glorious moments in early St. P's history. You can see the passion in their faces, just as we see it in the faces of Libera boys today :)

--edit: Loved it so much that I got inspired to make a new avatar! :D

[youtube][/youtube]
symphonica7
Gold Member

Post by symphonica7 »

Nice......!!
"The most powerful sound in music is silence..."
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

Great discovery Maarten, it's from 1987. I see the little Gareth Lowman in it. I think, one year after this Gareth had his first own solo.
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Wow, such a beautiful duet! Sam's voice reminds me of Ralph. In fact, the duet reminds me of Ralph/Stefan duets... Fantastic pairing. I believe you can also see a young Ian Tilley standing in the background between Sam and Jaymi!
Benj
Silver Member

Post by Benj »

Libera should have a reunion concert. Jaymi and Sam should encore Sing For Ever. And this better be on dvd! :evil:
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Decided on my new avatar :)
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

It is masterpieces like this which is why I am a big big fan of the older St Philip's material. There is a certain pureness in these renditions.

Sing forever and New Day have the highest play count on my IPod closely followed by the non seasonal angel voices albums, followed by the earlier Libera material.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
Julia
Silver Member

Post by Julia »

Very beautifully performed. Their voices have the graceful purenss that is ultimate in boy sopranoes! I have recently "discovered" Jamie Bandtock and Sam Harper, and I am very pleased with what I have found, which is two immensly Liberesque boy soloists that I regret not to have known sooner, but I am glad that they have added such alot to Libera's great foundation :D Great find!
dolorosa, flumenosa, desolata, lacrimabila-
the water sighs for me
Through teardrops now I see
The streaming water knows
The fountain overflows

To cry for all, to wash all sorrows in waves of peace and love
Free my thirsty soul again
O living fountain

Twitter Acount: ArtisticTempest