SERVER AND NETWORK ISSUES

Inform us here about Bugs and Suggestions

Moderator: Moderators

paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Lets pray the backup site is never needed.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

BrightEyes wrote:
I just registered on your site yesterday, Paul. I would encourage everyone to at least add Paul's site to your bookmarks or favorites, because if this site ever does go down permanently you will not be able to access the forums to get the backup site address.
Yep, done that.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Keekii

Post by Keekii »

I have just bookmarked it too. I hope it wont be needed as well.
jesuspeace34

Post by jesuspeace34 »

Maybe I missed it, but what is your website Paul?
sweetangel16
Silver Member

Post by sweetangel16 »

I miss the site there :( Hope it could get fixed soon. Well, at least we still have the forum.

Charmaine
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

jesuspeace34 wrote:Maybe I missed it, but what is your website Paul?
Just in case, the website is http://www.libera-peace.co.uk

If you sign up, please pm me your username, as I am activating accounts to avoid spammers.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

- Plato
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Colin wrote:Didn't somebody suggested a new forum before? As alternative?
We should think about this seriously
Yes that was me.

Libera-peace.co.uk but I have added libera-dreams on my watch list, so should it expire and become available it will be automatically purchased and registered for me.

As for the content of dreams. It is possible to duplicate onto another forum, but there is two problems. Firstly it would be impossible to link the posts to the original poster, also in copying the entire content would mean crawling every topic every post every article, currently 28744. This would create so much site traffic, it could cause if the site has a small bandwidth allowance, a temporary suspension of the site, or worse completely shutdown the site. These are small and improbable risks, but risks I'm not prepared to make.

If Kevin does not post here maybe 24 48 hours before the domain expires, then I will copy the entire site, hopefully this will not be needed.

- Plato
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Kevin mentioned when the site re-opened on this server that the server owner liked Libera and was very supportive about getting the siteup and running. If only we could contact the server owner he might be able to assist with the transfer of data, or even transferring ownership.

Technically before transferring any data you should obtain Kevin's permission, that might even include forum discussions.

I have a massive collection of Libera videos, including almost everything that the old UK Libera Fans site had. A few of the older videos on that site were of so poor video quality that I didn't deem them to be worth copying. If you want them all you need is to provide some means for me to transfer them to you.
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

TullyBascombe wrote:Kevin mentioned when the site re-opened on this server that the server owner liked Libera and was very supportive about getting the siteup and running. If only we could contact the server owner he might be able to assist with the transfer of data, or even transferring ownership.

Technically before transferring any data you should obtain Kevin's permission, that might even include forum discussions.

I have a massive collection of Libera videos, including almost everything that the old UK Libera Fans site had. A few of the older videos on that site were of so poor video quality that I didn't deem them to be worth copying. If you want them all you need is to provide some means for me to transfer them to you.

Yes your right, we would technically need Kevins permission. But if Kevin is not contactable, we risk loosing thousands of topics that have been posted over the last few years.

Ill contact the server owner, and try to get a message to Kevin in the hope I can discover his plans for Libera Dreams. If not, then I think we would need to assume that the domain will expire and we will have to consider an alternative. I can provide the framework for a new site, but content and management should be provided by the Libera fan community. With several administrators, moderators, and content authors for the main front pages.

I have a massive amount of web space and bandwidth, so hosting Libera videos is a very real option, I can provide a place to upload them.

Lets hope we wont need to do any of this :(

- Plato
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

I have attempted to contact Kevin through his webmaster@libera-dreams.com address, and also sent a message to the hosting provider in the hope a message can get passed through to Kevin.

I think the second method is an unlikely one though as it depends on if dreamhosts are willing to forward the message to the person who rents the server, even if the message gets to him, then he still needs to try to contact Kevin. So there is 2 obstacles we need to overcome, the second method is dependant on if Kevin checks his liber-dreams email accounts anymore.

Lets hope that we can get in touch so we can establish if we need to rebuild libera-dreams. :?

- Plato
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

He usually shows up just in time to avert a crisis - I don't think he would leave us to hang, it certainly hasn't been his style in the past.

I believe he has a YouTube acount - here

Might be worth posting a message, although it is 10 months since he visited. He might have it linked to email his personal account though if somebody leaves a message on his account?
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Yorkie wrote:He usually shows up just in time to avert a crisis - I don't think he would leave us to hang, it certainly hasn't been his style in the past.

I believe he has a YouTube acount - here

Might be worth posting a message, although it is 10 months since he visited. He might have it linked to email his personal account though if somebody leaves a message on his account?
Thanks Yorkie, message sent.

- Plato
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

I've made a little progress with dreamhost, here is a copy of the message and the reply.

Hello,

On Sun, 08 May 2011, you wrote:

> I am trying to contact the owner of a website, currently residing on your

> server, apache2-goo.dillinger.dreamhost.com, a shared server or vps.

> The domain is libera-dreams.com

>

> The website is a non profit fan base community, and with the domain due to

> expire in 4 months we risk loosing this established community. If the

> current owner no longer has time or the will to maintain libera-dreams.com,

> then I want to offer myself to take over the running of this site so to keep

> the community alive.

>

> I am fully aware of client confidentiality and data protection and understand

> that you cannot give me any information whatsoever but I'm hoping you could

> forward this message to the person who rents the server / vps, in the hope he

> can contact the website owner.

>

> I sincerely thank you for your time in reading this and hope you can help.

Thanks for your e-mail!

I sent along a message to the DreamHost account owner on your behalf,
along with your email address. I requested they contact you as soon as
possible regarding the domain.

Please let us know if you require further assistance.

Thanks,

Jennifer R

--

DreamHost Sales Team + sales@dreamhost.com

- Plato
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

I have had another reply, this time from the person who has full access and is in contact with Kevin, apparently, libera-dreams is now fully unmanaged and will expire, I'm currently in talks with the person now responsible for libera dreams on what to do with it and who should manage it.

I feel, it very important to keep all here updated on what is happening and I will post information as soon as I receive it. I intend to do everything I can to keep libera-dreams alive. Including investing money if needed.

- Plato
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

paul30003 wrote:I have had another reply, this time from the person who has full access and is in contact with Kevin, apparently, libera-dreams is now fully unmanaged and will expire, I'm currently in talks with the person now responsible for libera dreams on what to do with it and who should manage it.

I feel, it very important to keep all here updated on what is happening and I will post information as soon as I receive it. I intend to do everything I can to keep libera-dreams alive. Including investing money if needed.
Yikes. how much do these things cost Paul?
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love