29%
Once in Royal David's City
2%

Total votes: 42

dearmadine
Silver Member

Post by dearmadine »

Thanks plumpuff6 for this thread :lol:

What I love about Going Home is the way Josh delivers the song. It's unbelievable how a 12 year old boy can transmit these emotions. My favorite part is where he sings "shadows gone, break of day, real life has begun." I found it incredible the way he controls his voice and his face expression changes from triumph to satisfaction as if he defeated darkness. By the time he gets to the very last "I'm just going home" part, he successfully convinced me that this is not a song about death but a journey to your eternal home.

And you can read the rest of my usual ramble on my blog.
BEAUTIFUL STRANGERS*
http://dearmadine.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
danieb88
Silver Member

Post by danieb88 »

I chose Once in Royal Davids City, kind of because I found it too hard to pick between a few others! I love Time but I prefered Joshs voice before it started to change, I also love his voice on How can I Keep from Singing but its not my fav song so decided against it!
Anyway, great poll - a very hard decision! Im a huge fan of Joshs voice - its a close one for me between him and Tom as my favs!
Danie :D
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

dearmadine wrote: he successfully convinced me that this is not a song about death but a journey to your eternal home.
Aww, this part is worth of a million... At least 8) :wink:
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Just to get back on that You Were There performance and whether or not some parts of it are out of tune. I asked my friend who used to be a musical director for many years (choirs, orchestras) as well as a sound engineer and a composer (and who also helped to turn me on to Libera ;)) and this is what he had to say (translated from Dutch):

"It's very simple.
They are singing along to an accompanying (orchestra) tape that has quite a lot of echo/reverb.
Also through the room where they are singing.
The recording of the broadcast is remixed.
Here and there you hear the voices directly and sometimes through the room.
This gives a distortion for the listener.
It might be that there are also voices on the tape, then it is already difficult for a choir to stay in tune.
But I think it's the first explanation.
It isn't really out of tune, it's the mix!"

I take his word on this. Ofcourse it doesn't sound as it should and that is a pity. But given the circumstances, it is understandable and the boys are not to blame. In fact, I think it shows some of their professionality, that they are willing (and, in my opinion, able) to give it their best even under lesser conditions, and also of their loyalty to the fans by giving them TV exposure like that when they are touring. And, like I said, the fact that the circumstances are as they are, adds to my admiration for this particular solo - it is very honest and pure, you can hear that after all Libera boys are only human - but blessed with many gifts and courageous and enjoying their singing and their music, which is why we love them so much :)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
dearmadine
Silver Member

Post by dearmadine »

Murkskis wrote:
dearmadine wrote: he successfully convinced me that this is not a song about death but a journey to your eternal home.
Aww, this part is worth of a million... At least 8) :wink:
Thank you :)
BEAUTIFUL STRANGERS*
http://dearmadine.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Benj
Silver Member

Post by Benj »

plumpuff6 wrote:
maartendas wrote: But -- maybe THIS is my favourite Josh solo of all, alas not included in the poll:

[youtube][/youtube]

Why do I like it so much? Because I think you can hear he is right on the threshold of his younger and his older voice. Because you can hear that it's live and not in the best conditions (soundwise and maybe also in different respects, for instance I get the feeling this is early in the afternoon for them while they are maybe still jet-lagged) and still he gives it his best and manages to shine. Because he took over a very favourite solo from Tom and really made it his own. Because he is so into his singing he makes some mistakes in the lyrics :) ("are" instead of "were). Because you can see him enjoying it and at the same time being very sincere and serious about his singing. Because he carries the song to its wonderful harmonic highlights - in this respect he makes me think of his role as a big boy helping the younger boys. All this makes this my favourite solo performance by perhaps my first ever favourite Libera soloist who made me love this group so very much.
(--edit: and also because he sang this when I saw them for the first time, in Dublin in 2009 :))

So, like I said, choosing just one was hard, and many of the songs mentioned hold a place dear in my heart. Please regard what I just wrote as my small tribute to one of the most special soloists ever to grace the Libera line-up :)
I can't believe that I forgot to include this in the poll! I should go back and put it in. It's such a special performance by Josh. Your comment was a wonderful tribute to him.

Edit: Ooops looks like I can't go back and add it in.
Make that 2 votes. I second everything Maartendas said. You Were There with a personalized touch only Josh can deliver is my all time favorite Josh solo.

I still voted for Time though, to make my vote count. Josh sang that song like a God-- I Am the dawn of all time.
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Can I change my vote to: Lullaby

I think Josh done an amazing job on that. It suits his voice just perfectly.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Can I change my vote again!

I missed this one!

Oh its just so hard to choose. All josh's Solo's are stunning, but that can also be said for all the Libera boys.

[youtube][/youtube]
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
symphonica7
Gold Member

Post by symphonica7 »

Oh its just so hard to choose. All josh's Solo's are stunning, but that can also be said for all the Libera boys.
You can say that again...
"The most powerful sound in music is silence..."
psykick

Post by psykick »

My father has manic depression, and because of this, his emotional and rash judgments affected my attending college. I was supposed to go to Carleton College - a very selective liberal arts college in Minnesota - but instead, my father insisted violently that I attend college in Korea. Perhaps because he blamed his current self on the fact that he graduated college in the US(he went to UPenn, school of Wharton).

I failed miserably in Korean college admissions - no doubt! I was trained in International School Manila for an American education. Now, because I was unable to go to college (I already dismissed my Carleton admissions due to the fact that Korean admissions were in the fall, which is when the school starts), and am now here at Grove City College, Pennsylvania. It's a nice Christian school, but not quite with the academic caliber/reputation that Carleton does.

Times were hard when I was still in Korea, awaiting for my Korean college exams, whilst also trying to persuade my father. It was in these times that I listened so dearly to Love and Mercy. The song spoke to me, my family, my situation. I am somewhat embarrassed to say that, as a sturdy 19 year old male, I wept myself to sleep in some nights listening to that song.

I'm not sure when their next US tour will be, but it would be amazing if they came to Pennsylvania again. I saw Libera twice while I was studying in the Philippines - both concerts when they came to Manila. I would have given up any other classical/pop/contemporary/rock concert that I have been to in my life for those two concerts. As a clarinet player, and somewhat of a semi-music student (I don't major or minor in music, but I spend a great deal of time on playing), the musical appreciation and emotional rush that I felt listening to Libera was simply magical.

Whenever things aren't quite going the way I planned them to be, I always remember that Love and Mercy are what I need. Thank you, Josh.
symphonica7
Gold Member

Post by symphonica7 »

psykick wrote:My father has manic depression, and because of this, his emotional and rash judgments affected my attending college. I was supposed to go to Carleton College - a very selective liberal arts college in Minnesota - but instead, my father insisted violently that I attend college in Korea. Perhaps because he blamed his current self on the fact that he graduated college in the US(he went to UPenn, school of Wharton).

I failed miserably in Korean college admissions - no doubt! I was trained in International School Manila for an American education. Now, because I was unable to go to college (I already dismissed my Carleton admissions due to the fact that Korean admissions were in the fall, which is when the school starts), and am now here at Grove City College, Pennsylvania. It's a nice Christian school, but not quite with the academic caliber/reputation that Carleton does.

Times were hard when I was still in Korea, awaiting for my Korean college exams, whilst also trying to persuade my father. It was in these times that I listened so dearly to Love and Mercy. The song spoke to me, my family, my situation. I am somewhat embarrassed to say that, as a sturdy 19 year old male, I wept myself to sleep in some nights listening to that song.

I'm not sure when their next US tour will be, but it would be amazing if they came to Pennsylvania again. I saw Libera twice while I was studying in the Philippines - both concerts when they came to Manila. I would have given up any other classical/pop/contemporary/rock concert that I have been to in my life for those two concerts. As a clarinet player, and somewhat of a semi-music student (I don't major or minor in music, but I spend a great deal of time on playing), the musical appreciation and emotional rush that I felt listening to Libera was simply magical.

Whenever things aren't quite going the way I planned them to be, I always remember that Love and Mercy are what I need. Thank you, Josh.
I hope you get into the college that you wish to attend, it's never too late to transfer...don't rush it.....you have plenty of time....I hope your father will understand and respect the future educational choices you make....

Cool to hear how much Libera music has affected your emotions...in a positive way. I agree Josh's voice in Love n Mercy was fantastic. Wish I could've heard him sing it in concert, however James M. sang it very admirable as well when I heard it live. Thanks for the story....hope everything works out for ya buddy.
"The most powerful sound in music is silence..."
liberavieve

Post by liberavieve »

psykick wrote:My father has manic depression, and because of this, his emotional and rash judgments affected my attending college. I was supposed to go to Carleton College - a very selective liberal arts college in Minnesota - but instead, my father insisted violently that I attend college in Korea. Perhaps because he blamed his current self on the fact that he graduated college in the US(he went to UPenn, school of Wharton).

That's a really wonderful story, psykick— sad, but wonderful, in a way. I'm sorry that things aren't going quite as planned, but I'm glad that you can find some measure of peace in music and hope that your life at your university will be less struggle and more fun than your life in Korea.

Also— no shame at all in weeping a bit over music, no matter who you are. I'll never forget being at evensong once and seeing a young man maybe a bit older than me—big fellow, looked like a rugby player—hang his head and cry during one of the psalms. Music's great and funny like that.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Well, what can you add to that. This is what it's all about. Music to speak to us and move us and get us through the difficult times. It's testimonies like this that truly speak of the power and importance of groups like Libera and talents of the like of Brian Wilson and Robert Prizeman (the likes of which can also be found on this forum :)). Thank you for your story and I hope it will all turn out for the best for you, whichever way you go.
--edit: welcome on board, by the way :)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above