8%
In Paradisum
38%

Total votes: 24

plumpuff6
Silver Member

Favorite solo by Ed

Post by plumpuff6 »

While we're on the topic of favorite solos...

What is your favorite solo sung by Ed? I'm only going to include album solos where he had the "main" solo, as before when I had a poll about a favorite solo sung by Josh. I don't know if I'll include duets...that might well be another poll!

I finally decided on "In Paradisum" because I love the gentle smoothness of his voice in this song and because it shows another aspect of his voice control, first seen in "Sanctus", when he sang a really high part at the end. This song requires a different type of control, and he pulls it off very well.
et laudate Domino in laetitia
et cantate Domino gloria
saecula et saeculorum, Alleluia
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Unofficially: August 11th 2009, St Mary's Cathedral live solo with Mysterium. He had reached that fine wine vintage period of a treble boy were he had the power in his lungs but still held onto his crystal clear top notes. The result was breathtaking.

Officially: In Paradisum. The song is mellow and a bit of a wind-down selection, sometimes I don't listen to it as much as others. However when the moment's called for i.e. rumours that Jedward might be splitting up, or Jordan announcing that she won't be pursuing a pop career; then it's a very soothing and comforting song to help ease the pain.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

When did Ed sing Salva Me?

And I assume you are including songs from the Leiden concert DVD (Ave Maria, Abide With Me) but then you missed out Stay With Me and Prayer...
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

JimmyRiddle wrote:Unofficially: August 11th 2009, St Mary's Cathedral live solo with Mysterium. He had reached that fine wine vintage period of a treble boy were he had the power in his lungs but still held onto his crystal clear top notes. The result was breathtaking.
Amen brother Jimmy. Otherwise it would have to be Stay With Me from Leiden.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Why is Stay With Me not on the list?
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

JimmyRiddle wrote: He had reached that fine wine vintage period of a treble boy were he had the power in his lungs but still held onto his crystal clear top notes. The result was breathtaking.
Well put. It was the same in Arundel and Belfast that year. In the thirteen concerts I've been to so far, Ed's Mysterium ranks as one of Libera's best ever live performances. Just the thought of it still gives me goosebumps.

If it were on the list, my vote for favourite recorded song would go to Stay With Me.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

john45 wrote:
JimmyRiddle wrote: He had reached that fine wine vintage period of a treble boy were he had the power in his lungs but still held onto his crystal clear top notes. The result was breathtaking.
Well put. It was the same in Arundel and Belfast that year. In the thirteen concerts I've been to so far, Ed's Mysterium ranks as one of Libera's best ever live performances. Just the thought of it still gives me goosebumps.

If it were on the list, my vote for favourite recorded song would go to Stay With Me.
I thought that Ed's Mysterium in Edinburgh would be unbeatable - a performance that I wouldn't see the like of again. It was my first concert too.

However, I have to admit that the version Stefan and Ralph did in Chester was its equal. The other Autumn tour shows didn't quite have the spectacle of that one (the staging + organ intro and also organ linking in to Gloria rather than the strings in that cold, old cathedral - other worldly).

How is the trip plan coming together for March John? If the Mrs doesn't want to go I'll take that front and centre ticket off you
:wink:
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
libera36

Post by libera36 »

maartendas wrote:When did Ed sing Salva Me?
Ed has the "Salva" solo on Angel Voices :wink:

My favorite solo of Ed's is actually When A Knight, but In Paradisum is a close second!
dearmadine
Silver Member

Post by dearmadine »

I picked In Paradisum. This is one of the most listened Libera song on my playlist :) love Ed's voice.

Unofficially, I'd also pick Mysterium. I was fortunate to hear that in live in California concert. It was so powerful. I thought all the glasses in Chrystal Cathedral would be shattered at one point.
BEAUTIFUL STRANGERS*
http://dearmadine.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

dani wrote:Why is Stay With Me not on the list?
:oops: Because I forgot to add it...I can't believe it. I really enjoy his version of "Stay With Me" too...I was kind of in a daze when I made the poll, having just passed my ASCP board examination earlier this morning... :oops:
et laudate Domino in laetitia
et cantate Domino gloria
saecula et saeculorum, Alleluia
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Post by Rebecca (: »

Well, my favorite is Stay with Me, but out of these I like Abide with Me :D
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

plumpuff6 wrote:
:oops: Because I forgot to add it...I can't believe it. I really enjoy his version of "Stay With Me" too...I was kind of in a daze when I made the poll, having just passed my ASCP board examination earlier this morning... :oops:
Don't worry, you've got a really good excuse! 8)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

plumpuff6 wrote:
Ok well i pick Stay With Me :)
paopao

Post by paopao »

voted for In Paradisum. ah..kind of sad he only has a limited number of solos. Mysterium & When a Knight Won His Spur proved that Ed's one of a kind live performer, though.
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Choosed Abide with me, though I like Mysterium, Stay with me, When a Knight and Ave Maria a lot ! :D