The future is......

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

plumpuff6 wrote:It's true that the soloists haven't changed much over the past few years, but the publicly performing part of Libera hasn't seemed to change its membership until about 2008, in my opinion. In 2007 there was a lot of the same boys that were there in 2005/2006, and it wasn't until 2008 that more newbies were involved in concerts. Maybe RP gave solos to the boys about to break during this period since they were older and soon may no longer be soloists with Libera?

Since Tom's departure from the high notes, and Josh and Liam's slower descent, I think RP has done a good job with introducing the newbies into the former soloists' positions. For example I read that Flynn has taken over "May the Road Rise Up" from Tom, and Alex Leggett and Kavana Crossley sang "Always With You" (also formerly Tom's solo). Well I guess Alex is not a newbie but he hasn't really soloed before, to my knowledge. And then Freddie and Mini-James on "Prayer" and giving Liam's high notes on "Stay With Me" to Matthew Rangel-Alvarez with the main solo now being handed over to Daniel Fontannaz and Joe Snelling's "Salva Me" solo to Stefan. I think the "changing of the guard" will go pretty smoothly although Libera may shuffle some songs around/eliminate some solos and have them be duets or trios or small groups until RP finds the right new soloist for the song. RP has a genius for finding just the right soloist for a song though, so I'm not worried. The newbies will be able to fill in for the more experienced boys, no problem!

But I do agree that until their voices break, Ed and Mini-Ben will become the front-line soloists since they will be among the older boys that have done more solo work and have been involved since around 2005 (Ed) and 2006 (Mini-Ben).
Great points.

But has RP left it too long to introduce the new guys? If Tom, Josh, Liam, etc showed signs of doing a big Ben and being able to carry on until they were 16 would he have left the new kids out for another year? If that was the case should he leave them out?

You can tell that my two favourite conversations at dinner are religion and politics :lol: :!:
Last edited by Yorkie on Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

Yorkie wrote:
plumpuff6 wrote:It's true that the soloists haven't changed much over the past few years, but the publicly performing part of Libera hasn't seemed to change its membership until about 2008, in my opinion. In 2007 there was a lot of the same boys that were there in 2005/2006, and it wasn't until 2008 that more newbies were involved in concerts. Maybe RP gave solos to the boys about to break during this period since they were older and soon may no longer be soloists with Libera?

Since Tom's departure from the high notes, and Josh and Liam's slower descent, I think RP has done a good job with introducing the newbies into the former soloists' positions. For example I read that Flynn has taken over "May the Road Rise Up" from Tom, and Alex Leggett and Kavana Crossley sang "Always With You" (also formerly Tom's solo). Well I guess Alex is not a newbie but he hasn't really soloed before, to my knowledge. And then Freddie and Mini-James on "Prayer" and giving Liam's high notes on "Stay With Me" to Matthew Rangel-Alvarez with the main solo now being handed over to Daniel Fontannaz and Joe Snelling's "Salva Me" solo to Stefan. I think the "changing of the guard" will go pretty smoothly although Libera may shuffle some songs around/eliminate some solos and have them be duets or trios or small groups until RP finds the right new soloist for the song. RP has a genius for finding just the right soloist for a song though, so I'm not worried. The newbies will be able to fill in for the more experienced boys, no problem!

But I do agree that until their voices break, Ed and Mini-Ben will become the front-line soloists since they will be among the older boys that have done more solo work and have been involved since around 2005 (Ed) and 2006 (Mini-Ben).
Great points.

But has RP left it too long to introduce the new guys? If Tom, Josh, Liam, etc showed signs of doing a big Ben and being able to carry on until they were 16 would he have left the new kids out for another year? If that was the case should he leave them out?

You can tell that my two favourite conversations at dinner are religion and politics :lol: :!:
Well I guess I don't know. It seems to me that RP has done an OK job with introducing the new boys and letting the "old" boys still solo. Libera grew exponentially in popularity since ~2005, and most "new" fans (myself included) were familiar with Tom, Josh, Liam, Ed, Mini-Ben etc., so maybe RP didn't want to suddenly change the soloists since those boys were the ones that were main soloists when the group's popularity took off. Both Tom and Josh (because I feel Josh will no longer be a soloist in the Manila concert since he will be around 15 by then) hung around as treble soloists for a good bit of time, and if they'd shown signs of staying on until 16 like Big Ben, I don't know what RP would have done. I guess he may have given over at least a few of the solos to some of the younger boys during the 15th-16th year to introduce the new soloists to the public, and give the newbies experience.
et laudate Domino in laetitia
et cantate Domino gloria
saecula et saeculorum, Alleluia
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

8) You're right of course we'll never know but I hope you agree that it's fun to speculate :D

Mercy & Love
Rich
Silver Member

Re: The future is......

Post by Rich »

Yorkie wrote:
So fire away, tell me I'm wrong. I'm a big boy, I can take it :wink:
Excellent topic, Yorkie, especially since it's a slow time for Libera News.

No, I don't think you're wrong. I have to agree that Libera is in a transition phase right now. When the main soloists are all close to the same age, you could almost see this coming, but RP has always managed to work his magic. I have faith he'll do the same now.

Rich
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

We may have sometime here without any lead soloists but never fear, Libera will live on.

I am one of those who did have a couple of favorites. Should be easy to tell who. While I will miss them as a soloist, I know they will be part of Libera for sometime yet and I also know they have learned so much about music that they have a knowledge that will last them a lifetime and will let them be in a career that they will enjoy.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

I'm sure the young ones will be able to live up to Libera's name. I'm quite sure with proper vocal training under RP, the young ones are ready in no time! Just look at Mini James and Freddie when they first got their "Prayer" solo last year when they are barely 9 (correct me if I'm wrong)! From the reviews I read from various concert goers, they did amazing. At this stage, RP is probably allowing the younger ones to try out their very first solos when he feels they are ready (and if the boy is willing). Flynn did get his very first solo too, in that very same tour.

I'm not so sure about who's gonna be lead soloist for Libera in the near future but I'm sure every boy who wants to be a soloist could be one! Every voice is unique and I'm sure every boy could enrich the songs in a different way! In the next few years I'm hoping to hear many more new voices, but still the same unique music that makes them so special! Together, their voices blend in perfectly and this is what Libera is made up of - unique and talented individuals!
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

xsakurax wrote:I'm not so sure about who's gonna be lead soloist for Libera in the near future but I'm sure every boy who wants to be a soloist could be one
Interesting you should say that - this is how twisted evil I am :twisted:

......I wonder if everything is all sunshine and roses - it would certainly be the first group ever where that was the case and you have to throw parents in to this mix too. When some of the lads have left without notice (and no evidence of a voice change) it does get me thinking as to why - could it be falling out about perceived favourites and some lads being pushed to the front more than others?

Wild speculation on my part, I'm sure everybody is very happy behind the scenes - the tour vids seems to show a very close group without any tension. But still, I'm always left to wonder......... :twisted:
Last edited by Yorkie on Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: The future is......

Post by Yorkie »

Rich wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
So fire away, tell me I'm wrong. I'm a big boy, I can take it :wink:
Excellent topic, Yorkie, especially since it's a slow time for Libera News.

No, I don't think you're wrong. I have to agree that Libera is in a transition phase right now. When the main soloists are all close to the same age, you could almost see this coming, but RP has always managed to work his magic. I have faith he'll do the same now.

Rich
That's my point Rich, everybody could see it coming so you'd think that more effort would have been made to get some new talent up front and centre to gain that vital experience.

Of course the counter argument is valid - people want to see their favourite perform, this might be the last chance before voice breaks to sing, etc.
Last edited by Yorkie on Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yorkie wrote:
xsakurax wrote:I'm not so sure about who's gonna be lead soloist for Libera in the near future but I'm sure every boy who wants to be a soloist could be one

......I wonder if everything is all sunshine and roses - it would certainly be the first group ever where that was the case and you have to throw parents in to this mix too. When some of the lads have left without notice (and no evidence of a voice change) it does get me thinking as to why - could it be falling out about perceived favourites and some lads been pushed to the front more than others?

Wild speculation on my part, I'm sure everybody is very happy behind the scenes - the tour vids seems to show a very close group without any tension. But still, I'm always left to wonder......... :twisted:

That was rumour with Joe Snelling that he left because he was not getting enough lead solos for his talent.

Too be honest when they was in LA earlier in year they had clearly taken a step back. when you watch HOP they was not perfect at all. Have heard them sound alot better.
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

Yorkie wrote:

......I wonder if everything is all sunshine and roses - it would certainly be the first group ever where that was the case and you have to throw parents in to this mix too. When some of the lads have left without notice (and no evidence of a voice change) it does get me thinking as to why - could it be falling out about perceived favourites and some lads been pushed to the front more than others?

Well I have wondered that sometimes too, but consider how long Zack stayed, and he was never a soloist. And the Leggett brothers as well, they haven't left, but Sam has had only a few small solos ("I Am the Day" with Josh and then on "Sanctus" in SOP) and Alex recently got his first solo and they have both been with the group for a while. I guess the Cole brothers left without warning, as well as Joe S., but they were all around the age where schoolwork gets much more demanding, and maybe they just couldn't put in the time anymore?

It could be that some boys just don't want to be soloists. But of course your speculation about leaving because they weren't getting solos as well is also valid, although I guess RP would probably give boys solos that wanted them, if he thought they could handle them, especially since it's always stressed that Libera is first and foremost a group of singers and not just soloists. What does everyone else think?
et laudate Domino in laetitia
et cantate Domino gloria
saecula et saeculorum, Alleluia
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

It could be that some boys just don't want to be soloists. But of course your speculation about leaving because they weren't getting solos as well is also valid, although I guess RP would probably give boys solos that wanted them, if he thought they could handle them, especially since it's always stressed that Libera is first and foremost a group of singers and not just soloists. What does everyone else think?
I believe every boy in Libera is as important, even if they do not get any solo. Every boy contribute to the beautiful harmonies and overall quality of the sound. Actually, I'm sure RP takes into consideration every boy's voice quality/tone/etc and makes sure he allocates a suitable solo to the boys. I'm thinking why the old boys like Sam or Alex gets lesser solos might be due to that their voices are more of the lower range. Is it 2nd treble or treble 2.. I'm not sure.. And they play more of the important part in the harmonies so their chances of solos lessens. I notice most of Libera's soloists happen to be those who could hit a higher range eg. Tom, Ed, Liam etc. It's probably due to the nature of each individual song, and the uniqueness of Libera's songs is probably the ability to hit high notes. This probably explains why they get more solos. As far as I know when I'm in my school choir, majority of solos are given to sopranos and lesser to that of altos. But that might be a different case.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

dani wrote: That was rumour with Joe Snelling that he left because he was not getting enough lead solos for his talent.

Too be honest when they was in LA earlier in year they had clearly taken a step back. when you watch HOP they was not perfect at all. Have heard them sound alot better.
Interesting, maybe I'm not quite as mad as I thought :shock:

#cough# I know I should know this, but what is HOP :oops: :?:

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

plumpuff6 wrote: Well I have wondered that sometimes too, but consider how long Zack stayed, and he was never a soloist. And the Leggett brothers as well, they haven't left, but Sam has had only a few small solos ("I Am the Day" with Josh and then on "Sanctus" in SOP) and Alex recently got his first solo and they have both been with the group for a while. I guess the Cole brothers left without warning, as well as Joe S., but they were all around the age where schoolwork gets much more demanding, and maybe they just couldn't put in the time anymore?

How long did Zack stay? - he seemed to leave pretty suddenly but it was just at about the time Libera appeared on my radar so I'm not sure about that stuff.

Going back to comparing Libera to a soccer team; usually most of the lads (or girls, best not be sexist here) on the team will be competent but nothing special. They enjoy playing, enjoy being with their mates and are reliable. They know who the star players are and they play to their strengths. You can't play without them.

But then you will always have somebody who resents not being the star player, who believes they are being treated unfairly and that they should play in a certain position even when the coach thinks otherwise. They often have a pushy parent behind them as well :roll:. Those kids are not happy to play second fiddle and it can affect the team. Sometimes they carry on anyway and deal with it, sometimes they leave to play elsewhere.

There will always be lads in Libera who are not up to solo's and know it and are happy to be a member of the team anyway. It might be that their voice isn't up to it or it might be that they don't want the pressure. It certainly isn't demeaning and you are right that all the lads are important - Libera is more than the sum of it's parts. But I would be stunned if there were some boys who wanted solo's but didn't get them because RP thought they weren't up to it. Would RP give a lad a solo if he knew it would be terrible?

Of course RP is a musical genius far beyond my understanding - he is able to write songs to suit particular boys - The Lamb for mini-Ben for example. He probably can turn any kid into a good singer!

Should I shut up now?

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

xsakurax wrote: I believe every boy in Libera is as important, even if they do not get any solo. Every boy contribute to the beautiful harmonies and overall quality of the sound. Actually, I'm sure RP takes into consideration every boy's voice quality/tone/etc and makes sure he allocates a suitable solo to the boys. I'm thinking why the old boys like Sam or Alex gets lesser solos might be due to that their voices are more of the lower range. Is it 2nd treble or treble 2.. I'm not sure.. And they play more of the important part in the harmonies so their chances of solos lessens. I notice most of Libera's soloists happen to be those who could hit a higher range eg. Tom, Ed, Liam etc. It's probably due to the nature of each individual song, and the uniqueness of Libera's songs is probably the ability to hit high notes. This probably explains why they get more solos. As far as I know when I'm in my school choir, majority of solos are given to sopranos and lesser to that of altos. But that might be a different case.
I think you are 100% correct. Also, I hope nothing I said sounded demeaning to the guys who are not soloists - that wasn't my intention and I'll apologise now it I came across that way. I respect all of the guys hugely and every one of them deserves credit for their great singing.

I guess RP might not be so pleased with my ramblings though as undoubtedly my posts do #mildly# criticise/question the direction of Libera. I just find it strange that we are in a position that could see 6+ of the best known faces (singers?) leave the group in the same year. Of course there will always be a turnover of lads, but it just seems to me to be a bit more than that at the moment.

Perhaps the answer is that the real problem occurred several years ago. Maybe he had a couple of lean recruiting years which meant the flow of new talent was reduced. In turn this meant RP had to rely more heavily and for longer on the established lads than he would have liked.

In the meantime Libera's fame took off and the recruiting problem has eased but the bubble has now burst and that golden generation is leaving and he is having to fill the gap with the younger lads who are not quite ready - yet.

Maybe I've answered my own question :?

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Yorkie wrote:
dani wrote: That was rumour with Joe Snelling that he left because he was not getting enough lead solos for his talent.

Interesting, maybe I'm not quite as mad as I thought :shock:

#cough# I know I should know this, but what is HOP :oops: :?:
HOP is the "Hour of Power", i.e., the Crystal Cathedral. The problem there could have been partially the acoustics and/or difficulty with the sound system. Remember the "Love and Mercy" performance in Washington? The reason it sounded off was that the person controlling the sound board made a mistake.

I had suspected that Joe might have been unhappy about his role in Libera. IIRC wasn't the "Salva" solo his only solo? It's not a very complex solo - though he did it well. RP might have thought that he really wasn't up to anything more complex - and RP might have been correct.

Zack performed with Libera for more than 5 years. His early career performances included "Abide With Me" and "Be Still My Soul". He was tiny then, probably smaller than Freddie.

Remember that in the UK these guys have to take a major exam early in their high school career, a test which will have a great deal of influence on their future. I wonder if some of them leave at age 13 or 14 to study for this exam?