First post

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

daniel1994

First post

Post by daniel1994 »

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on the site, although I've been a fan of Libera for a few years. I'm 23, and because I live in the UK I've been fortunate enough to see a few concerts already and meet some of the fans, which has always been a lot of fun.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Ely concert, which I was told about by another Libera fan who will also be going. This same fan encouraged me to join this forum a while ago, and although I made an account, I didn't actually post anything at the time. I thought that this might be a good time to do so seeing as there is an upcoming concert.

Kind regards,

Dan

PS - The 1994 at the end of my name is only there because "daniel" was taken. I know, I can't stand numbers at the end of usernames either.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: First post

Post by Surpinto »

Welcome, Dan. Always good to have new people here with whatever number they have in their usernames :lol: Being in the UK allows you to attend concerts on a regular basis if you are so inclined and it sounds as though you have taken that opportunity.

Ely will be lots of fun and I look forward to seeing you and the many others fans from Libera Dreams there! :D
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Hello Dan and welcome to the forum.
It's great that you decided to join. Libera is fantastic; not only the music but also the fan community.

I look forward to meeting you in Ely.
hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

Hi Dan, and a hearty welcome!

Thanks for joining and commenting. Do you remember how you came across Libera? And the usual questions like which CDs/songs/singers have caught your attention.

Being in the UK, do you think folks there have come rather accustomed to music with treble voices? I notice Libera are highly appreciated in the Far East, where this type of music was not part of their cultural heritage.

I'm glad to hear you're planning on Ely. Maybe a few friends will decide to share the experience with you.

Cheers, and Merry Christmas.
daniel1994

Post by daniel1994 »

Thank you all for your kind words, and sorry for my delay in replying.

I can't wait to meet you all at the Ely concert. I first came across Libera when a friend who lives in my area told me about them. I don't think he's been to a concert yet, he heard about them through his other musical friends (he's an opera singer).

The first concert I went to was in Guildford Cathedral in 2015, which was a very beautiful performance. A couple of months after that I went to the Christchurch concert. That time I went with a friend, who happens to be a regular member of that church. Unfortunately, this friend didn't realise that Libera concerts aren't meant to be sung along to, and he started singing along during the first song as he was used to doing in that church. Looking back using the search tool, I notice that news of my friend singing made it to this forum.

I would say that the Luminosa CD is one of my favourites, especially as it contains Sacris Solemnis which is my favourite song by Libera. I also love the version of Ave Maria that is on the Libera in America CD, which was very kindly given to me as a gift.

When I grew up, I was a member of my local church choir, and we sung a lot of hymns in school. We sung Amazing Grace enough times that I ended up hating the song. (although I still love it when Libera sings it!) At the time, that kind of music didn't feel like something that should be enjoyed, but rather something that was required like homework.

I distinctly remember the first time I ever felt blown away by a song, and I started to love this kind of music. It was at a Christmas service that all the kids in my school attended, a boy soloist sang Walking in the Air. At the time I felt it was the most beautiful thing I had ever heard, and that it was a tragedy that it wasn't being recorded.

I wasn't aware that treble voices weren't already a part of Far Eastern music. Do you know why that is?

Happy holidays to you all, and a happy new year!
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Hello Dan, a warm welcome also from me. I would have been even more belated in greeting you here, due to a lack of time for writing here, but what you are saying animated me to reply right away. :)

daniel1994 wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:59 am">6 years ago</span> I would say that the Luminosa CD is one of my favourites,
Isn't "Luminosa" simply wonderful?! I received it for Christmas, so it's fresh, moreover as there had been three songs I had forbidden myself to listen to before. :mrgreen: So, I had three brand-new songs, and all in all, I just love this album!

daniel1994 wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:59 am">6 years ago</span> we sung a lot of hymns in school. We sung Amazing Grace enough times that I ended up hating the song. (although I still love it when Libera sings it!)
I agree. Libera manages to make us like the songs we couldn't stand to hear anymore, and it's exactly Amazing Grace, where I experienced that at my first concert.

daniel1994 wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:59 am">6 years ago</span> It was at a Christmas service that all the kids in my school attended, a boy soloist sang Walking in the Air. At the time I felt it was the most beautiful thing I had ever heard,
This is such a beautiful song, and I can relate to it moving you so much. It was quite a goosebumps experience to hear it last and this year, when I attended "The Snowman" in London (yes, twice ...). Well, not live, but in the version by Aled Jones and his younger self - very touching there in the theatre embedded in the play. We've also sung it in our choir this year, without a solo, though. :wink:

daniel1994 wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:59 am">6 years ago</span> I went to the Christchurch concert. That time I went with a friend [...] Unfortunately, this friend didn't realise that Libera concerts aren't meant to be sung along to, and he started singing along during the first song as he was used to doing in that church. Looking back using the search tool, I notice that news of my friend singing made it to this forum.
Hilarious! :lol: I would have loved to be there! Which song was it, please? I must look for the comments in the forum, it will be quite entertaining to read about it. :lol:

Welcome again, I hope you enjoy your time here in the forum. And I hope to meet you in Ely! :)
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

Hello Dan, and welcome.
It is indeed fortunate that you've been able to attend some Libera concerts. It will surely be fun at the upcoming one in Ely, I cannot go because I live too far away but many of this forum's members will - hope you (together with others) will have a whale of time.

daniel1994 wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:59 am">6 years ago</span> I would say that the Luminosa CD is one of my favourites, especially as it contains Sacris Solemnis which is my favourite song by Libera. I also love the version of Ave Maria that is on the Libera in America CD, which was very kindly given to me as a gift.
I haven't got Luminosa (yet), but I did get to listen to Sacris Solemnis live and it was wonderful!! I didn't like it that much at the first listen, but now it's one of my favorites. Well, I also love the Ave Maria you mentioned (in fact I love ALL Libera's Ave Maria) :lol:

daniel1994 wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:59 am">6 years ago</span> We sung Amazing Grace enough times that I ended up hating the song. (although I still love it when Libera sings it!)
I feel the same thing with 'Joyful Joyful' (from Beethoven's 9th Symphony), but my case is more of 'listening' than 'singing'. :roll:

daniel1994 wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:59 am">6 years ago</span> I wasn't aware that treble voices weren't already a part of Far Eastern music. Do you know why that is?
I live in the East, and yes treble voices (as well as choral music) is a sort of Western thing (at least in my country). Young people here usually go with modern/pop music and old people here usually go with local folk music rather than classical, of course that is not the case for all other Asian countries. (I feel like I can write an argumentative essay out of this topic lol)

Anyway, I'm glad that there are more and more young people who love Libera music. 8)
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the forum, you found us at last :D i think it was me that mentioned (complained!) about your singing friend and a different couple that talked through the start of Mysterium :twisted: I noticed you had been missing from concerts in the last couple of years.

Seems my usual welcoming video clip has vanished from YouTube so I'll go with this poor quality cut down version:

If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love