Listening for a long, long time

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

enjaysea

Listening for a long, long time

Post by enjaysea »

Greetings everyone. I discovered the St Phillips Boys Choir in 1989, when I picked up their CD "Sing for Ever" from a Tower Record store. I played that CD so many times, I think I memorized it. And to this day, I still cry when I hear "Be Still My Soul".

So I've been a fan for 26+ years now, from St Phillips Boys Choir all the way to Libera. I've listened to a lot of choral music, and a lot of boys choirs in my day. I've been in choirs, and written for choirs. But nothing compares to the sound of Libera. Nothing.

After all this time, I was always just a listener, but never an audience member -- until last summer in Washington DC. And when I heard them sing "Be Still My Soul" live, right in front of me, it was overwhelming, stunning, and I watched it with tears in my eyes.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Listening for a long, long time

Post by Surpinto »

Wow, you have known about them since literally the beginning. I was only about fifteen years behind you in discovering them lol. It is nice to hear about those who have followed them for so long as you have a deeper insight into the evolution of their music into what we now see before us. I am not particularly knowledgeable on choral music like some at this forum, but I agree that Libera compares to no one I have ever heard.

My first time seeing them in concert was in DC also. I would have seen them on the Spring tour 2014, but the concert I was scheduled to attend got cancelled. It was a fantastic performance and "Be Still My Soul" has always been a very moving one for me; and others fans too it seems. It was seeing them in DC that turned me from a casual listener into a "fan" when I started reading this forum and other fan sites.

I already have tickets to see them when they return to DC in April :D Will you be seeing them this Spring as well?

Welcome to Libera Dreams. I hope to read a lot more from you.
enjaysea

Post by enjaysea »

Yes, I'm hoping to attend at least one, and possibly two shows.

I'll be bringing my older sister along too. She had never heard of Libera until the Washington tour. But I remedied that, and now she's a fan as well.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Hello enjaysea & welcome to the forum.
I think you will definitely be one of their longest supporters I reckon :shock:

I know what you mean about BSMS, I first heard it in Armagh in 2012. After a bitterly cold wait before the concert it was all made worthwhile by a fantastic performance of BSMS (and Voca Me). It really is a Hymn that suite the Libera sound. Very much looking forward to seeing it on the new blu-ray.

Anyway, my traditional welcome:

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
Last edited by Yorkie on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
enjaysea

Post by enjaysea »

Thanks for the nice welcome Yorkie.

I'm sorry I missed the Armagh concert, but alas, I wanted to wait until they were back in the US. The Washington concert worked out great because my brother lived there at the time, and I was able to stay with him.

Since it was my first show, I spent the extra for a VIP pass, which was worth it, since that gave me (and my brother) front row seats. I had a great time at the concert, meeting everyone, and taking lots of pictures and video.

If you get a chance to watch it, I made a movie called "Libera Wrap Party" which chronicled an outing with the boys that I was privileged to be able to attend the day after the concert.

Again, thanks for the welcome. You have a nice forum here.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

You're talking about this Wrap Party Video. Yeah, I can see at the end that it says "Video Courtesy of Enjay Sea Films".

Very cool!! That was an awesome video.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Were you in the US or in the UK when you bought your first St. Phillip's CD?
enjaysea

Post by enjaysea »

In the US.

I was a fan of choir music in general, so whenever I was in the record store I would always make a stop in the choral section and see if there was anything new. Then I saw Sing for Ever, and was really taken aback by how different it was from all the choir music I had ever heard.

Instead of the highly regimented vocal gymnastics that you usually hear with boys choirs, this music just flowed, and soared, and was so full of emotion and character and spirit. I was hooked.

I actually don't remember whether I found it the year it came out in 1988 or early the next year, but it's likely that I found it in 1988 since I constantly checked that choral section. If I did buy it in 1988, then I've been listening to them for 27 years.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I don't think I ever ran in to any of their CDs until around 2003 or 2004, but Tower records would probably have had a larger selection of classical music than the shopping mall music stores I used to frequent.
livysmithy

Post by livysmithy »

I heard their music just last year and I really fell inlove with their voices.

Join us on Facebook & Twitter! We share simple tips and techniques how to lucid dream.