Greetings from California

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

Cristina

Greetings from California

Post by Cristina »

Hello to all from Los Angeles. I am a twenty-something girl from Cali who loves the local weather, but wishes that she was closer to London so she could see more Libera concerts. I have been meaning to join the forum for some time because I am ardent follower of all things Libera. I am Libera crazy and proud of it. :D

I first discovered Libera in 2009 after reading an article in a local newspaper about their concert at the Crystal Cathedral. The article mentioned how the Make a Wish Foundation had brought a teenage girl from Florida to the concert because she was a Libera lover. I thought that was so cool and I started to research Libera on Youtube to see what made them so special. After seeing a couple videos such as Far Away by Michael Horncastle and anything with a Tom Cully solo, I was immediately hooked. I have never loved classical music, but Libera was special and my ears seemed to know it! My biggest regret was that this newspaper article was a couple days old and I had missed the chance to see Libera in concert only 50 minutes from my home by just two days. It pains me to think that I missed the only time that Libera came to California.

I do not have any musical education, so I cannot read/understand music, but I find Libera's music to be my favorite above all. Their music is so soothing and the lyrics really connect with me. I love how complex their harmonies and high notes are and how the songs often build so spectacularly. I listen to Libera daily and can never get enough of it. I own both DVDs and have their new one preordered on Amazon. I also own all of their cds dating back to New Dawn.

I am such a Libera fan that I traveled all the way to Chicago in 2011 with my boyfriend to see them perform at the Rockefeller Chapel. The concert and experience was so amazing that it left me wishing I could see them perform more. I went to the Washington DC concert this past August. If you were there, you may remember me as the crazy girl who flew all the way from Los Angeles to see them. Some fans thought that was too far of a trek for one person haha. I really hope to be able to see them when they come this Spring 2015 if my schedule permits me.

My favorite song is "Far Away." I love all versions because the different soloists (Michael, Tom, Ben, Ralph) each bring their own unique touch to it. The lyrics are also great and bring me peace when I am down. I also love May the Road Rise Up to Meet You, Carol of the Bells, What Child is This, and Ave Maria. Those high notes get me everytime. :)

My favorite soloist is Tom Cully. He had such a spectacular, skilled, strong voice from such an early age of 8. I love his little solo with Michael Horncastle in "There is a green hill." I like how he was funny and confident on camera and his high notes just kill me. I think my favorite solos of his are: "Far Away", "May the Road Rise Up to Meet You" , "Ave Maria" and "You were There." My other top soloists are: Stefan Leadbeater, Josh Madine, and Michael Horncastle. Of the current members I really enjoy: Isaac, Ciaran( his Amazing Grace solo is amazing haha) and Tom DL. I also think Lucas is so underrated because he provides so many high notes at such a young age.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Greetings from California

Post by Surpinto »

Hi Cristina,

Welcome! It's nice to have you here. Thank you for the nice and detailed introduction. You certainly know your Libera! Tom Cully was a wonderful singer as were many of the boys of that cohort. A great deal of fans got turned on to Libera at around that time and it's no coincidence.

These choristers are not only very talented, but the Libera organization trains them extremely well. Many adult choirs do not even sing harmonies and arrangements as dense as what Libera does.

"Far Away" is a good song.

Hope to read lots more by you soon!
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Hello Cristina,

Glad you found us. They do seem to invoke a huge amount of loyalty n their fans don't they? And we definitely don't think flying from LA to D.C. is crazy - people round here go way further than that!

I liked your story about the Crystal Cathedral and Audrey Winkelsas; she spent three months in the UK in 2013 and quite by chance managed to run in to Ben Philipp on her first day in London. What are the chances of that? Anyway, when the DVD for Washington concert is out you have to let us know which one you are if they get an audience shot of you!

And finally, in the words of the Artful Dodger:

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

Welcome Cristina!

It's always refreshing to hear news about another 'previously unknown' ardent Libera fan. I'm so glad you were able to be in DC; I was there also, and meeting the boys afterward was rewarding also, to see how professional and cordial they are to the fans. I think it's nice that they do that whenever they can, because it not only provides fans an extra level of connection, but I'm sure the boys gain as well - they appreciate hearing the unsolicited comments from the fans themselves.

And yes, Robert has certainly maximized many of the soloists through the years. It's possible that Tom's solos, for example, in 'Air' and 'Ave Maria (Caccini)' might never be duplicated again.