Hello fellow Libera fans!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

muffin818

Hello fellow Libera fans!

Post by muffin818 »

Hi everyone. I've been thinking about joining for a while and finally decided to go for it, because you seem like a friendly bunch - and as mad about Libera as me! :D

I first found out about Libera on Songs of Praise a few years back now. They showed the video for Stay With Me and performed a version of Sanctissima (Mini-Ben is still one of my favourite soloists to this day). But I didn't really start listening to them properly until last year when I came across the video for Time - and thought it was one of the most beautiful things I'd ever heard. After that, I listened to as many of their songs as I could and promptly asked for all the CDs for my birthday! Their music is just perfect for every mood. It can be really soothing but also uplifting too. Their style is so distinct from every other boy choir and the way their personalities come across in their singing makes it even better.

My favourite song has got to be 'A New Heaven' from the album Free. Anthony Chadney's voice is really underrated in my opinion and the whole combination of the music, the vocals and the lyrics never fail to leave me in tears! I also love 'Vespera', 'Dies Irae', 'Stay With Me' and 'Veni Sancte'. To be honest, I could probably listen to the Free album for the rest of my life and not get bored of it.

My favourite soloist of all time is Steven Geraghty. His voice is so versatile and pure; he has got to be up there with the best. And of course he is one of the longest standing members. His loyalty to Libera (along with Sam Coates) is amazing. For some reason, I have always had a bit of a soft spot for the elusive George Tarlton. He never sang a solo but he was part of the strong back up chorus in the early noughties (my favourite era of Libera). I was quite excited when I found a video of 'All Things Bright And Beautiful' when you get to hear his voice along with Chris Robson. Other favourites include the wonderful Ben Crawley, Oliver Putland, Daren Geraghty, Joe Platt, Liam O'Kane, Michael Horncastle, Anthony Chadney, Chris Robson, Josh Madine, Ralph Skan and Ben Philipp. Of the current members, it would have to be Cassius and Tom D-L.

I guess a bit about me too. My name is Jennifer, I am currently studying for a degree in Classics and I like reading, writing and music. Ok, lets stop rambling! :roll:
"And I saw a new heaven
For the first heaven
And the first earth
Are passed away.

Illumina perpetua.

And there shall be no more death
Neither sorrow
Nor crying
For these are passed away."
hiskeys
Silver Member

Re: Hello fellow Libera fans!

Post by hiskeys »

A hearty welcome, Jennifer!

I just listened to A New Heaven again, and it certainly does have a lot going for it, great vocals including lower voicing, and of course that 'mysterious' Libera sound.

And yes, Steven and Sam are to be commended for their ongoing contribution to Libera's success, devotion plus loads of talent.

I got to speak briefly with Sam, along with Jonathan and Josh, at the two April concerts - nice young gentlemen, and I'm glad that they are still using their intimate knowledge of Libera to help the group continue and maintain its character, charm, and professionalism.

Enjoy the blog!
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Welcome! Nice to have you here. You certainly know Libera's history well. "A New Heaven" is a really nice song and Free is a favorite album of mine as well.

Looking forward to reading more from you.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Hi Jennifer and welcome, glad you decided to join.

I know what you mean about 'Free' it is just packed with excellent songs and we also got some great videos too. Steven G = Legend :D

Hope you'll stick around and here's my musical welcome to the forum:

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
PaulWSpaceRockDodger

Post by PaulWSpaceRockDodger »

Hi Jennifer. Welcome to Libera Dreams! Your references to some of the earlier "generations" of Libera made me reflect on the fact that this impressive choir is now old enough that one day we will probably see Libera newbies who are the sons of earlier Libera members! And one of those earlier members --- perhaps one of the people that you mentioned --- might even turn out to be Libera's next musical director when the time eventually comes for Robert Prizeman to retire. I hasten to add that I hope that the amazingly talented Mr Prizeman will continue to guide Libera for many years to come. On the other hand, it would probably give him enormous satisfaction to know that one of the boys that he has trained would eventually be able to succeed him and ensure Libera's continuity.
muffin818

Post by muffin818 »

Thank you for the welcome everyone. :)
PaulWSpaceRockDodger wrote:And one of those earlier members --- perhaps one of the people that you mentioned --- might even turn out to be Libera's next musical director when the time eventually comes for Robert Prizeman to retire.
I'd never thought of that but wouldn't it be awesome? Steven and Sam are already credited as assistant directors in their latest concerts so maybe one of them...You never know.
"And I saw a new heaven
For the first heaven
And the first earth
Are passed away.

Illumina perpetua.

And there shall be no more death
Neither sorrow
Nor crying
For these are passed away."