Inform us here about Bugs and Suggestions

Moderator: Moderators

TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Regarding spam I think we'v already got pretty good protection. I'm not sure why some still get through, I wonder if some spammers are using non-automatic (i.e., real people) systems. The next level of protection would be the "capcha" system, you know, those annoying warped letters and numbers you have to copy onto a box. Kevin considered that at one time and I begged him not to do it. I have some vision problems that make using the "capcha" system difficult for me.
jesuspeace34

Post by jesuspeace34 »

TullyBascombe wrote:Regarding spam I think we'v already got pretty good protection. I'm not sure why some still get through, I wonder if some spammers are using non-automatic (i.e., real people) systems. The next level of protection would be the "capcha" system, you know, those annoying warped letters and numbers you have to copy onto a box. Kevin considered that at one time and I begged him not to do it. I have some vision problems that make using the "capcha" system difficult for me.
Thanks for explaining it. I don't like those capcha systems myself. They do get annoying when you have to type them in alot.
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

A lot of spam can be suppressed when you ask the subscriber to confirm the registration with a confirmation which is done by clicking to a backlink, sent to him by email.

I made the same on my homepage and I included different links like 'confirm', 'cancel'... So there is the need of a human which has to read and to understand the text belonging to the links. :D
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

viabuona wrote:A lot of spam can be suppressed when you ask the subscriber to confirm the registration with a confirmation which is done by clicking to a backlink, sent to him by email.

I made the same on my homepage and I included different links like 'confirm', 'cancel'... So there is the need of a human which has to read and to understand the text belonging to the links. :D
Yes that is correct, that is how I am going to handle user registrations on the new forum. a small amount of spammers will get through, but we now have a few more mods to keep them at bay ;)
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato