Choristers' Social Media

Current and former Members of Libera

Moderator: Moderators

JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Re: Choristers' Social Media

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Agreed.... if there is one place were it should be reasonably acceptable to take photo's of your concert experience then it will be at the officially authorised Meet and Greets. I know most of us from lands far away with no opportunity to go to the concerts also appreciate the photo's and general feedback kindly provided by those who give up their time to do so. Years gone by a tour could pass by with very little reporting. Libera are quite high profile in their genre who sell lots of records and generate high viewing counts on social media and PBS viewings. It's only natural they will receive attention when they hold public events.

That said there is a line for whom 'normal' minded folk know where the boundary falls. A small minority have in the past over stepped this line and not done themselves any favours but they are thankfully few and far between.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I knew who that notice would be by and its a shame as he is about 12 years of age so it's no wonder he wants to be left alone .

Look at Tom Cully who generally seems to hate Libera fans as these boys mostly want to perform and not be harassed by fans or weirdos .
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Regarding the nature of choirs and their performances, yes they're public, but these are children, it is prudent to give them more consideration than adult performers.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

An interesting discussion. My opinion on this is probably closest to John45's. I don't personally have the capacity to record anything while I'm at any Libera event - m&g, concert or otherwise, but I don't begrudge those who do. As Jimmy points out, there are fans who get vicarious pleasure from all the filming/photographing going on at these events. For others, the recording of the event is a more permanent memory for them. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with m&g's or videography/photography, but would concede that a subtle touch is preferrable and not always employed by the fan.

It should be pointed out that the "less subtle" do produce film clips that are circulated among fans because their intrusiveness gives you the close up images you like. An Arundel clip of years past is a good example of this dichotomy. Many enjoyed the video, a few got to see how it was made and were less than pleased with the process.

M&G's themselves are an important marketing tool for the group. The personal interaction helps solidify the fan base and builds loyalty while providing the boys with positive feedback. I think it's unfortunate that they aren't a part of every concert everywhere, but if there isn't an appropriate room or appropriate security at the venue, it's understandable why they don't occur.
Last edited by tom413 on Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

I just realized I failed to respond to wpgoalie's original topic. I think having a social media account is a decision made by each individual person or entity. If one is concerned about privacy, accounts can be locked to followers only or a name can be chosen that wouldn't lead an unwanted interactor to your account. Whether to have the account at all or whether or not to respond to strangers is a choice that every account holder (and their parents if they're a minor) must make. I support the decisions to have such accounts by those who do and to not have or get rid of them if they're too burdensome.
At this time, I don't follow any individual chorister on the one social media account I have, but I may in the future. Personally I would draw the line at following though. I think sending unsolicted messages to kids you don't know is not appropriate and futile and a bit sad.

While we were away on tour, as one-ex chorister was moving his account to private status, one chorister was soliciting followers for his Instagram account during the m&g's. Looking the account up, I see he already has 40k followers for an account that he hasn't posted to since July, so his recruitment efforts for followers must be successful. The way I see it, each boy is making a decision that they feel suits them at this time. Best of luck to them both in their efforts for anonymity and recognition.
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

wpgoalie, the Libera Passion site provides photos and information on both current and past members of Libera at http://libera-passion.exprimetoi.net/t1 ... avril-2015