Stefan in "Turn of the Screw"

Current and former Members of Libera

Moderator: Moderators

Murkskis

Re: Stefan in "Turn of the Screw"

Post by Murkskis »

I'm glad to hear that Stefan's opera debut was a success!
Thanks to all reporters ! :)
And I really enjoyed reading your blog, Yuki! :D
Jayfrog214

Post by Jayfrog214 »

Though I didn't find a clip with Stefan in it (unless my glasses are in need of updating) I did find this on youtube so hopefully there will be some of him showing up soon...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jay
YukiBOL

Post by YukiBOL »

Murkskis wrote:I'm glad to hear that Stefan's opera debut was a success!
Thanks to all reporters ! :)
And I really enjoyed reading your blog, Yuki! :D
Thank you for reading it, Murkskis! Glad you liked it. :D
Julia
Silver Member

Post by Julia »

Jayfrog214 wrote:Though I didn't find a clip with Stefan in it (unless my glasses are in need of updating) I did find this on youtube so hopefully there will be some of him showing up soon...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jay
thanks for posting this!! it is not Stefan, but it is the other set of kids, Teddy and Ellenor, so mabe they will post some of Stef soon!! Still, great find!
dolorosa, flumenosa, desolata, lacrimabila-
the water sighs for me
Through teardrops now I see
The streaming water knows
The fountain overflows

To cry for all, to wash all sorrows in waves of peace and love
Free my thirsty soul again
O living fountain

Twitter Acount: ArtisticTempest
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

A few weeks ago I was flicking through the tv guide and noticed a film called 'The Innocents' based on Henry James' 'The Turn of the Screw'. As this was during Stefan's performances I decided to record it and I finally got round to watching it today.

Wow :shock: This was a great film. Made in 1961 and filmed in black and white it is really a classic. I must be honest I was not familiar with the story never having read James' novella but it was a very striking psychological thriller/ghost story. Very chilling. And the kid that played Miles was very creepy indeed (he was also in Village of the damned at about the same time).

If you haven't seen the film it is well worth checking out:

The Innocents
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Never seen any adaptation, but I did saw "The Others" (supposedly based on "Turn of the Screw") some years ago. Scary.
symphonica7
Gold Member

Post by symphonica7 »

I have no idea what "Turn of the Screw" is all about....need to catch up on that..but I would love to like most us.....hear Stefan's part... :)
"The most powerful sound in music is silence..."
DaleyDeil

Post by DaleyDeil »

is this stefan?

Are you the hope are you the key?
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

symphonica7 wrote:I have no idea what "Turn of the Screw" is all about....need to catch up on that..but I would love to like most us.....hear Stefan's part... :)
It's a story about a woman sho takes a job as governess of two school aged children living with their father in a manor in Victorian England. The children behave oddly, at times taking on differnet personae. She inquires about the situation and learns that previously there were two serving people at the manor, a man and a woman who were having a secret affair and later committrd suicide. The governess becomes convinced that the children are possessed, she tries to convince the father that something is going on and then decides to try to do something about it herself, but she's too late.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

DaleyDeil wrote:is this stefan?
No.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TullyBascombe wrote:
symphonica7 wrote:I have no idea what "Turn of the Screw" is all about....need to catch up on that..but I would love to like most us.....hear Stefan's part... :)
It's a story about a woman sho takes a job as governess of two school aged children living with their father in a manor in Victorian England. The children behave oddly, at times taking on differnet personae. She inquires about the situation and learns that previously there were two serving people at the manor, a man and a woman who were having a secret affair and later committrd suicide. The governess becomes convinced that the children are possessed, she tries to convince the father that something is going on and then decides to try to do something about it herself, but she's too late.

Almost as Tully described but some slight differences.......
The film version I saw had the two children as recently orphaned and in the custody of their uncle who was completely disinterested in the children. He lived in London and the children were installed at the remote stately home in the English countryside. The boy had been expelled from boarding school for some undisclosed but very serious misdemeaner.

The valet of the house had a close bond with the boy but was described a a cruel man (although just what he has done we are not told). He has an affair with the children's previous governess but one night is found dead on the outside steps, apparently having slipped whilst drunk and banged his head. The governess (lover) then kills herself (or dies from broken heart, can't quite remember).

That is the basic story. From then on it could be described as a ghost story, a psychological drama or an examination of mental illness. We don't know whether the new governess is imagining it or whether it is real but there is an unhappy ending to it all.

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

OK, I missed a few details. Fer the love of Pete I saw the thing first run nearly 50 years ago. The final scene made an impression on me, I couldn't tell whether the governess found the children dead or perhaps may hve killed them while attempting to remove their spirtul possessions. Does anyone know the original story?
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TullyBascombe wrote:OK, I missed a few details. Fer the love of Pete I saw the thing first run nearly 50 years ago. The final scene made an impression on me, I couldn't tell whether the governess found the children dead or perhaps may hve killed them while attempting to remove their spirtul possessions. Does anyone know the original story?
Well, I was trying not to give that ending away! It was just Miles that died but the fact is nobody knows how or why - that is why it is such a celebrated work; there are no answers but those that the reader choses to provide.

Tully, have a look on Amazon for a copy of that film I saw (posted above) - I think you'll enjoy it.

Mercy & Love
natsumi

Post by natsumi »

o my god...this opera sounds pretty depressing lol but interesting but a lil on the creepy side...but thats opera, always having a twist ;D
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Yorkie, have you seen "The Others" (horror movie with Nicole Kidman)? Is it anything like that?