Eoghan

Current and former Members of Libera

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Eoghan

Post by maartendas »

Since Eoghan McCarthy already made such an impression on the first shows of the current US tour, and because many people think he holds a promise for the future, I thought I'd open up a topic about him :)

Two solos by him are already captured for posterity (thanks to JimmyRiddle): Glory to Thee and How Shall I Sing this Majesty? from the live broadcast of Libera's appearance at the morning service from Moody Church in Chicago, July 31, 2011:

[youtube][/youtube]

Glory to Thee - when I first heard and saw it, I was moved to tears. So much so that I started to really pay attention to Eoghan's voice only halfway through (it was the first time I heard him sing a solo). But once I did, I was reminded of a strong rope, and somehow the colour brown, as in brown wood, came to mind. I guess because he has such a strong and supple voice. Not strong as in powerful, but as in reliable. Clear.

[youtube][/youtube]

How Shall I Sing - Eoghan did a great job as well. I love the way he sings "celesTIAL choir". That gets me everytime :D I listen to him, singing his part and think, oh, that's nice, and even though I know it's coming, I still don't expect it to have such an impact and then he goes "celesTIAL"and I just feel this little jolt in my stomach :) It's that extra L he puts at the end as well, that does it, I think - such conviction :)

So, with a lot of these member topics, any info, news etc. is always welcome. Right now all I know is that he was a newbie in Epsom in March, and now look! :D

Oh, and his name is pronounced "Owen" ;)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
labbie

Re: Eoghan

Post by labbie »

I was at both the Moody Church and the Chicago concert. I would agree that Eoghan demonstrates a great deal of ability as a soloist. I was completely impressed by both his musical ability and his confidence. He is a worthy addition to Libera's touring group!
kay
Silver Member

Post by kay »

Eoghan - Another great find, I hope, and expect, we will hear more from this young man.
I Listen To the Music Of Angels
Julia
Silver Member

Post by Julia »

Wow, Eoghan really made his debut at the Moody church concert :D
His voice is very steady and strong for just having started!
I am looking forward to seeing what he does in the future :wink:
does anyone know how old he is?
dolorosa, flumenosa, desolata, lacrimabila-
the water sighs for me
Through teardrops now I see
The streaming water knows
The fountain overflows

To cry for all, to wash all sorrows in waves of peace and love
Free my thirsty soul again
O living fountain

Twitter Acount: ArtisticTempest
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Julia wrote: I am looking forward to seeing what he does in the future :wink:
does anyone know how old he is?
I will be surprised if he doesn't have a solo on the Christmas album.
Don't know yet how old he is.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Ioan Griffudd's (Horatio Hornblower) first name also pronounced "Owen"? Evidently most males from Wales are named Owen.
Jenn
Silver Member

Post by Jenn »

"With conviction" is quite how I would describe how he sings as well. His tone is amazing, as is his pitch. He almost dances with each word as he sings it and it's quite nice to listen to. I hope we hear a lot more out of him. Can't wait to hear it live! My laptop has great speakers but no speaker I've found yet does Libera justice.
epiphany

Post by epiphany »

Couldn't agree more with you. But nice is not enough to describe my feelings while i listen to him. It's truly a great experience
Julia
Silver Member

Post by Julia »

epiphany wrote:Couldn't agree more with you. But nice is not enough to describe my feelings while i listen to him. It's truly a great experience
Yes. :D
There is truly a sense of peace when you listen to his voice. I am glad that Robert Prizeman discovered his solo talent and is helping him to nurture it :D
dolorosa, flumenosa, desolata, lacrimabila-
the water sighs for me
Through teardrops now I see
The streaming water knows
The fountain overflows

To cry for all, to wash all sorrows in waves of peace and love
Free my thirsty soul again
O living fountain

Twitter Acount: ArtisticTempest
Jenn
Silver Member

Post by Jenn »

Maarten I thought of you last night during How Shall I Sing. He sang your favorite line "celesTIAL choir" just how you like it! It was brilliant!
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Jenn wrote:Maarten I thought of you last night during How Shall I Sing. He sang your favorite line "celesTIAL choir" just how you like it! It was brilliant!
:D Thank you :) that makes me feel I was there a little bit after all :) I bet he read my comments, lol :lol:
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

I want to know his age, too. Is the time over in which we learned the birthdays of the Libera-boys? About the 2010 Newbies this information is missing, too. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Yes, Eoghan is a good soloist & was fast in becoming a soloist :lol: I think McCarthy & Eoghan are Irish names, surely he is descended from Irish people, he also looks very much like an irish boy. Irish kids are extremely smashing, I love them!
Eoghan Aug 2011.JPG
Eoghan Aug 2011.JPG (17.76 KiB) Viewed 2306 times
Eoghan Aug 2011.JPG
Eoghan Aug 2011.JPG (17.76 KiB) Viewed 2306 times
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Sue wrote:I want to know his age, too. Is the time over in which we learned the birthdays of the Libera-boys? About the 2010 Newbies this information is missing, too. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Yes, Eoghan is a good soloist & was fast in becoming a soloist :lol: I think McCarthy & Eoghan are Irish names, surely he is descended from Irish people, he also looks very much like an irish boy. Irish kids are extremely smashing, I love them!
Eoghan Aug 2011.JPG
He almost certainly has a bit of blarney in him Sue, many people in England do.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Yorkie wrote:He almost certainly has a bit of blarney in him Sue, many people in England do.
That includes me, I have Irish blood in me.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

Maybe you know the movie 'Angela's Ashes', in the background informations (I have the DVD) they speak about irish kids & I know the 'Scarlett O'Hara Buttler'-movies & books since I was very little. I love Ireland & the Irish people, like Scarlett did :D Irish kids are confident & always a bit naughty, I love this.

Paul, would be great to meet you in real life sometimes :)