Compilation album being released!

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

LiberAeterna

Compilation album being released!

Post by LiberAeterna »

Hello all my Libera friends!

I have introduced Libera here to a few co-workers and one of our producers has come up with the idea of doing a compilation CD of songs from the first two volumes of the Angel Voices albums from the early/mid-90's! We have been able to license the tracks from the company that owns the masters. This would be the first US domestic release of this material (those CDs were available as an import only) and we have come up with 16 songs for the album. Below is the proposed track list I helped come up with because the producer was kind enough to give me a free hand in this :). We have a proposed release date of July 16 with the tentative title, "The Best Of Angel Voices: The St. Philips Boy's Choir".

I wanted to ask all of you for some help. We need group photos from that time period (1992/1996) for our cover and booklet but so far I could only find a cover image (from http://www.boysoloist.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) of the original release of Angel Voices in 1992. We would really appreciate any additional material anyone might have. We'll be happy to give credit to whomever provided them, so long as they have the rights to the photos. Also, just to let you all know, we are still working on St.Philips' very first two albums but this project was approved first. I look forward to any thoughts regarding this release and thanks to all for your help :D!

1. For The Beauty Of The Earth (Soloists: Oliver Putland & Daren Geraghty?) - From Angel Voices, 1992

2. O For The Wings Of A Dove (Soloist: Oliver Putland?) - From Angel Voices, 1992

3. How Can I Keep From Singing - From Angel Voices, 1992

4. Pie Jesu ( From Faure's Requiem) - From Angel Voices 2, 1996

5. Praise To The Lord The Almighty (Soloist: Oliver Putland?) - From Angel Voices, 1992

6. Amazing Grace - From Angel Voices 2, 1996

7. The Lord's My Shepherd (Soloist: Chris Baron) - From Angel Voices 2, 1996

8. All Things Bright And Beautiful - From Angel Voices 2, 1996

9. Be Still My Soul (Soloist: Oliver Putland?) - From Angel Voices, 1992

10. Nunc Dimittis (Soloist: Daren Geraghty) - From Angel Voices 2, 1996

11. Praise My Soul (The King Of Heaven) - From Angel Voices 2, 1996

12. Glory To Thee My God This Night (Soloist: Oliver Putland?) - From Angel Voices, 1992

13. Abide With Me - From Angel Voices 2, 1996

14. Adoramus Te (Soloist: Oliver Putland?) - From Angel Voices, 1992

15. Be Still For The Presence Of The Lord (Soloists: Oliver Putland & Daren Geraghty?) - From Angel Voices, 1992

16. Jerusalem - From Angel Voices 2, 1996
Sing, Sing, Ye Heavenly Choir
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Sorry, can't help with the photos but just wanted to wish you luck on this.

Can't help but noticed you have gone for traditional and hymns, missing out some of the more popular choices - was that deliberate?
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Post by Rebecca (: »

What a great idea! I'll buy a copy (or 2!) of this for sure! That's a nice list of songs, I can't think of any to add right now, but I'll post if I do!
I haven't been able to find any other pictures, but I will certinaly keep looking!!
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Hi LiberAeterna, congratulation for your idea :D

As Yorkie I can't help with photos from that old time.... :(

Aren't you in touch with Libera's staff for that project ?
I'm afraid that only the people that were close to the group at that time may be able to bring you interesting materials like group photos or unreleased recorded track ! :lol:

I would be very surprised if there is here a so early fan that he would had been present at an hypothetic concert in the middle of the 90's and had took photos, but who knows ;)

Concerning the 16 selected tracks, well, you choice would not have been mine.... I only fully agree with you on 5 titles...
But I have not a classical or religious culture :lol:
BrightEyes
Silver Member

Re: Compilation album being released!

Post by BrightEyes »

Hey LiberAeterna :)

Thanks for working to put this together. I would second the vote for contacting Libera directly for photo material. I would hope they would be happy to help you. Robert Prizeman has been choir director even since the early days so I would think he or his staff would have some photos for you to use.

And I'm glad you're working to bring this music back again, especially to those who have never heard these songs.

Good luck with the release and keep us posted!
"How can the light that burned so brightly, Suddenly burn so pale?"
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

They're all very good, though one of my favorites from the pre-Libera era is "Sailing". As far as pictures there were some videos made with Oliver Putland, Steve Gerhaty, Daren Gerhaty in that time period, you might be able to produce stills from those videos.

The old Libera Fans website had an extensive collection of videos from that time period. I downloaded almost all of the videos they had that were of reasonable quality. If you had some way that I could send them to you I'd be glad to do so. I'd warn you in advance that the quality of video stills made from 1990's TV is not going to be very good compared to the stuff made by fans with high definition cameras we've become used to seeing recently.
BrightEyes
Silver Member

Post by BrightEyes »

TullyBascombe wrote:They're all very good, though one of my favorites from the pre-Libera era is "Sailing". As far as pictures there were some videos made with Oliver Putland, Steve Gerhaty, Daren Gerhaty in that time period, you might be able to produce stills from those videos.

The old Libera Fans website had an extensive collection of videos from that time period. I downloaded almost all of the videos they had that were of reasonable quality. If you had some way that I could send them to you I'd be glad to do so. I'd warn you in advance that the quality of video stills made from 1990's TV is not going to be very good compared to the stuff made by fans with high definition cameras we've become used to seeing recently.
Seconded on "Sailing", awesome, awesome song.

Likewise:

"Always There"
"Bright Eyes"
"Close Every Door to Me"
"San Damiano"
"Evening Falls"

I think everyone is going to have their own favorites, but those are the ones I like the best :)
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

TullyBascombe wrote:They're all very good, though one of my favorites from the pre-Libera era is "Sailing".
I Agree :D

I re-heard all 40 tracks of CD n°1 and 2 and I noted on each a mark from 5 (best) to 0 (don't like)

My marked 4 and 5 song :
CD 1 : Always There, Glory To Thee My God This Night, How Can I Keep From Singing, Sailing, Sing Forever, Be Still My Soul, Silent Night.
CD 2 : Pie Jesu, Amazing Grace, Close Every Door To Me, I Vow To Thee My Country.
john45
Gold Member

Re: Compilation album being released!

Post by john45 »

LiberAeterna wrote:Hello all my Libera friends!

This would be the first US domestic release of this material (those CDs were available as an import only) and we have come up with 16 songs for the album. Below is the proposed track list I

Hmm, nice idea but some of your choices (O for the Wings of a Dove , Abide with Me, Amazing Grace) have been done to death so that even the Prizeman treatment does not give them much in the way of new life. It’s much the same with some of the traditional carols which is why I’m hoping the new Christmas album has some less hackneyed material. Others on your list (Be Still my Soul, How Can I Keep from Singing) are featured on later albums. As some here have suggested, songs such as Sailing, Bright Eyes, Always There, etc would probably be more interesting.
I hope any profits from this venture will be going to Libera.
LiberAeterna

Post by LiberAeterna »

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions :D

As our producer is out sick today I will only be able to respond to a few things that have been brought up. The songs were actually chosen (as instructed to me) with more of an emphasis on the Christian market, as Yorkie so keenly observed :wink:. We are going to emphasize this more as it doesn't appear that EMI has tapped into that market yet with Libera (although we will want to get it into other markets as well). Since many in the Christian market may not have heard of the group (in the US anyway) we wanted to present the appeal this group can have to those not familiar with them but familiar with basic hymns, etc. It is quite difficult to choose songs that will please fans but also appeal to this market as we are limited to only about 16 songs for the album. Believe me, I do want to include more of the songs mentioned here (Sailing, Always There, Close Every Door To Thee, Evening Falls, Bright Eyes :wink:, etc.) but I could not remove all the "praise" songs. I will definitely go over this with my producer as he has told me he would be fine with changing a few songs (it is not too late to do this). I will keep you updated...

Thanks also for your efforts in the photo search :D. I didn't actually mean "concert" photos but more professional photos (like the original cover of Angel Voices in 1992) that may have been taken around that time. I will have to respond with a later post regarding contacting the group....

Also, no Love for the John Rutter songs (For The Beauty..., All Things Bright...) I made a point to include :shock: (especially from my UK friends)?! I actually love John Rutter and he is quite popular worldwide. He writes great flowing melodies....
Sing, Sing, Ye Heavenly Choir
BrightEyes
Silver Member

Post by BrightEyes »

LiberAeterna wrote:Also, no Love for the John Rutter songs (For The Beauty..., All Things Bright...) I made a point to include :shock: (especially from my UK friends)?! I actually love John Rutter and he is quite popular worldwide. He writes great flowing melodies....
Hey LiberAeterna,

Given the constraint that you want to appeal to the Christian market for this release, I think you made some very good choices. In my earlier post, I was listing some of my favorites that aren't on the list, but failed to mention that I like almost all of those that you have included.

You are correct that both "For the Beauty of the Earth" and "All Things Bright and Beautiful" are both incredibly good, as is "Adoramus Te" (I really like this one :))

Really I would list most of the songs you have chosen as gems and well-deserving of re-release. So, from the songs you have chosen, these are one's I would totally agree on...

1. For The Beauty Of The Earth (Soloists: Oliver Putland & Daren Geraghty?) - From Angel Voices, 1992

2. O For The Wings Of A Dove (Soloist: Oliver Putland?) - From Angel Voices, 1992

3. How Can I Keep From Singing - From Angel Voices, 1992

4. Pie Jesu ( From Faure's Requiem) - From Angel Voices 2, 1996

5. Praise To The Lord The Almighty (Soloist: Oliver Putland?) - From Angel Voices, 1992

8. All Things Bright And Beautiful - From Angel Voices 2, 1996

9. Be Still My Soul (Soloist: Oliver Putland?) - From Angel Voices, 1992

10. Nunc Dimittis (Soloist: Daren Geraghty) - From Angel Voices 2, 1996

12. Glory To Thee My God This Night (Soloist: Oliver Putland?) - From Angel Voices, 1992

13. Abide With Me - From Angel Voices 2, 1996

14. Adoramus Te (Soloist: Oliver Putland?) - From Angel Voices, 1992

15. Be Still For The Presence Of The Lord (Soloists: Oliver Putland & Daren Geraghty?) - From Angel Voices, 1992

16. Jerusalem - From Angel Voices 2, 1996

I would encourage every Libera fan to listen to these beautiful songs, because IMHO, St. Philips Boy's Choir was just as good, and this music is heavenly!
Lexi
Silver Member

Post by Lexi »

Hi Todd!

Congratulations on this! I know you have been wanting to do this for a long time! Very happy for you! Sign us up to buy one! I sent you a PM. :D

Lauren
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

fan_de_LoK wrote:
TullyBascombe wrote:They're all very good, though one of my favorites from the pre-Libera era is "Sailing".
I Agree :D

I re-heard all 40 tracks of CD n°1 and 2 and I noted on each a mark from 5 (best) to 0 (don't like)

My marked 4 and 5 song :
CD 1 : Always There, Glory To Thee My God This Night, How Can I Keep From Singing, Sailing, Sing Forever, Be Still My Soul, Silent Night.
CD 2 : Pie Jesu, Amazing Grace, Close Every Door To Me, I Vow To Thee My Country.
Agree on this, with the addition of:

CD1, Always there

CD2, Evening falls, Baliero, Bright eyes
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
symphonica7
Gold Member

Post by symphonica7 »

Attendite??? Sacri Solemni?? Beata Lux???
"The most powerful sound in music is silence..."
BrightEyes
Silver Member

Post by BrightEyes »

symphonica7 wrote:Attendite??? Sacri Solemni?? Beata Lux???
Hey Symphonica :)

I think those were all from the Libera era. This compilation is just the Angel Voices 1 and 2 material from St. Philips Boys Choir.