Compilation album being released!

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

Benj
Silver Member

Re: Compilation album being released!

Post by Benj »

FanInPlymouth wrote:I realise that I've come to this topic really late in the day but the song choices are - sorry to say this - dreary. ALL of these songs have been sung ad nauseum by too many other artists. To promote Libera as a valued modern force, you need to choose songs which more reflect the Libera of today and not the SPBC from 20 years ago. I wish you luck with the release.
Most new fans would probably prefer if Libera now released new versions of these songs in a new album like what they did for Deep Peace. But i also want to have these Angel Voices original versions. I want to hear Daren's Evening Falls with crystal clear quality. I disagree that these songs are dreary. Maybe when they were sung by other artist but not by the Angel Voices, but i do respect your opinion.

New Libera fans should hear these songs and learn to appreciate Libera's history more. I just hope that even if these songs are out again, Libera would still record new version of these songs in the near future.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

You won't regret it. In many ways St. Phillip's Boys Choir / Angel Voices was very much a different choir, but thanks to Mr. Priseman their style was as unique as Libera's is today. I don't think they belong in the same calss as Westminister Abbey, Wells Cathedral, or the Oxford choirs. Their style was sort of traditional, but less formal, less stylized.

My only regret is that I would have preferred the Steven Gerhaty version of "Close Every Door to Me".
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TullyBascombe wrote: My only regret is that I would have preferred the Steven Gerhaty version of "Close Every Door to Me".
Don't think that was ever released on a record Tully, just recorded for one of those 90's tv shows. I do have some sympathy with the argument about the choice of songs for the CD but it was explained on here that the people producing it wanted to focus on the mainly religious hymns because of the audience they were targeting this record at.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I think that religious hymns would describe better than 90% of what St. Phillip's / Angel Voices sang.
Lauren
Silver Member

Post by Lauren »

TullyBascombe wrote:I just got mine, it was everything I had hoped for.
Just got ours today! Thank you, Todd! :D

Going to listen to it now!
http://www.mini-angels.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Mine arrived yesterday !! :D (in perfect state).
Thank you very much Todd !!
LiberAeterna

Post by LiberAeterna »

Thank you all those who have bought our release and for the comments :D ! I would like to encourage those of you who have purchased it to please share a review on Amazon, as that may help people become more interested in perhaps purchasing a copy.

I know that some of you have reservations regarding the song selection and I respect that. I did try hard to create an interesting mix of religious hymns and more modern songs. Yorkie is correct in that we are trying to target the Christian market here in the US but I also wanted this to appeal to fans and show the diversity of the group. In the end, we could not please everybody. As TullyBascombe stated, St. Philips probably sang, on those early albums, 90% hymns so there was not too many options in choosing a more "Libera" like song. Although, I feel "Evening Falls" is a good precursor to the Libera material. Also, it is not like Libera do not sing any of these songs anymore (one need only look on Free or Visions to hear some) and when they do record a new version is it really that much different? In the end, all Libera/St. Philips songs promote a spiritual/religious feeling.

Also, the more I listen to these older songs the more I feel that Libera material is not really too far removed from this but only a further development. If you listen carefully you will hear that the songs seem to be recorded in a studio, not a church like other cathedral choirs, and that there is a distinctively modern new-age approach to the sound already. I cannot think that anyone would say that St.Philips sounded like Kings College, Choir of New College Oxford, etc. other than in the use of treble voices. They were truly more modern and less rigid than the other cathedral choirs, even back then. The main differences with Libera now are that the songs are mostly original ones written by Prizeman (or others) and there is more sophistication in the overdubbing of voices/arrangements than the St. Philips period. If Prizeman was not involved at all back then it would be a different story, but he was and it is interesting to hear his growth as a composer/arranger for the group. This is a natural development with pretty much any artist you can name. That being said, I don't think this undermines anything he did during this period, it actually helps you appreciate his commitment to this style of music and his desire that others experience it. As BenJ stated, it is a good idea for fans of Libera to appreciate their history and hear how the group has developed over the years. Truly, they are a unique choral group.

Peace and Love :D
Sing, Sing, Ye Heavenly Choir
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

You did an excellent job of selecting materials for the album.

True that.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

I saw that the album is now also available via CD Universe :)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
BruceH

Post by BruceH »

I just got my copy today. I was very impressed with the technical quality. This is really a beautiful album. Since I have only been following Libera for about five years, I don't have much music from the earlier generation. It is very enjoyable to hear what the "founding voices" sound like.

I must say, I enjoy the fact that a few of the selections include the lower voices. It adds a nice variety to the sound -- a little like the older boys did during the recent USA tour.
BruceH

Post by BruceH »

LiberAeterna wrote: "Thank you all those who have bought our release and for the comments ! I would like to encourage those of you who have purchased it to please share a review on Amazon, as that may help people become more interested in perhaps purchasing a copy."

As requested, a review should be showing up on Amazon shortly. Hope you like.
LiberAeterna

Post by LiberAeterna »

BruceH wrote:LiberAeterna wrote: "Thank you all those who have bought our release and for the comments ! I would like to encourage those of you who have purchased it to please share a review on Amazon, as that may help people become more interested in perhaps purchasing a copy."

As requested, a review should be showing up on Amazon shortly. Hope you like.
Thanks a lot BruceH for the review and glad you liked the album :D ! We really appreciate it. Hopefully, other Libera fans not familiar with the album will now give it a try.

I was initially concerned about the sound quality too as it seemed that some of the tracks on Angel Voices 2 were mixed at a lower level than Angel Voices 1. We had our mastering guy do his best to make the sound even across all the tracks and I think he did a fine job. Believe me, I listened countless times to make sure it sounded good!
Sing, Sing, Ye Heavenly Choir
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Good news for Dutch fans: I found out that the album is now also available via bol.com:
http://www.bol.com/nl/p/muziek/best-of- ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
LennesSL
Silver Member

Post by LennesSL »

maartendas wrote:Good news for Dutch fans: I found out that the album is now also available via bol.com:
http://www.bol.com/nl/p/muziek/best-of- ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

THATS GREAT!!
Life is but a journey
Tides are always turning
Seasons come and go here but you’ll never be alone here
Liberation
Silver Member

Post by Liberation »

That's great news indeed but the album already was available here in the well known music stores.
I visit a lot of music stores here and always checking out if Libera is present and it's good to see that slowly more and more
Libera albums are available here in the music stores.