Libera go Nutcracking!

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

Liberation
Silver Member

Re: Libera go Nutcracking!

Post by Liberation »

Yes, that's right, Andy Winter was a member of "Libera" .
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

It's known he is the father of a former chorister, I'm not sure he was a boy chorister himself.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

skittles wrote:this is a little old, but wasn't andy winter in libera as well?
I think Andy Winter the chaperone, security & photographer of Libera is a little old to have performed in Libera. I know that there have been a couple of boys named Winter to have performed in St Philip's Boys Choir/Angel Voices/Libera in the past (one of whom was also Andy - good name that) and I'd assumed they might be our Andy Winter's sons - but I don't know how old AW senior is! I may have caused mortal offence now and find out that he is actually 25!
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Liberation
Silver Member

Post by Liberation »

Maybe Im mistaken. It's not Andy but Andrew. (could be someone else)
Andrew winter was on the Libera album "Free" which was the year 2004
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Liberation wrote:Maybe Im mistaken. It's not Andy but Andrew. (could be someone else)
Andrew winter was on the Libera album "Free" which was the year 2004
Yes, Andy is short for Andrew and Andrew (junior) is brother to Ron and son of Andrew (senior) :D

Mercy & Love
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

I may be mistaken, but i'm sure I read somewhere that there was 2 brothers singing in St Philips / Libera

Andy W did for sure, and he still sings at Norbury.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
chris17

Post by chris17 »

According to Aled Jones' CD "Aled," which I think is from 2002, there was a Matthew Winter in Libera, and the CD also included a list for "Libera Men's Choir," which included Andrew Winter, Clive Winter, and Ron Winter. I'm not sure how they're all related, but I thought it was kind of interesting. :)
Liberation
Silver Member

Post by Liberation »

So the conclusion would be that there are two Andrew's or Andy's. (father and son) ???
That would make my list of SPBC / Libera members on 105
Lauren
Silver Member

Post by Lauren »

The Libera Free album lists Andrew Winter and Ron Winter as performers. I've always assumed those were Andy (the dad's) sons. When I first met Andy (the dad) in Canada, I asked him if his sons had sung with Libera. He said that he and his son (singular) had sung. Andrew is Andy, the dad, and Ron is the son. I do not know if Matthew Winter and Clive Winter are related to them.

As to Andy's age, he and his wife celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary this year. My husband and I did also. Andy thinks he's older than me, so I guess that just means he wasn't married at 16 like I was. :lol:
http://www.mini-angels.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Lauren wrote:The Libera Free album lists Andrew Winter and Ron Winter as performers. I've always assumed those were Andy (the dad's) sons. When I first met Andy (the dad) in Canada, I asked him if his sons had sung with Libera. He said that he and his son (singular) had sung. Andrew is Andy, the dad, and Ron is the son. I do not know if Matthew Winter and Clive Winter are related to them.

As to Andy's age, he and his wife celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary this year. My husband and I did also. Andy thinks he's older than me, so I guess that just means he wasn't married at 16 like I was. :lol:
But would Mr Winter senior receive a singing credit as part of Libera on the Free album - that doesn't make any sense to me. Even if he was singing a supporting role of deeper adult voice I would assume he would be given a separate credit, not named as one of the boys.

Mercy & Love
Lauren
Silver Member

Post by Lauren »

Yorkie wrote:
Lauren wrote:The Libera Free album lists Andrew Winter and Ron Winter as performers. I've always assumed those were Andy (the dad's) sons. When I first met Andy (the dad) in Canada, I asked him if his sons had sung with Libera. He said that he and his son (singular) had sung. Andrew is Andy, the dad, and Ron is the son. I do not know if Matthew Winter and Clive Winter are related to them.

But would Mr Winter senior receive a singing credit as part of Libera on the Free album - that doesn't make any sense to me. Even if he was singing a supporting role of deeper adult voice I would assume he would be given a separate credit, not named as one of the boys.
I think perhaps so. Simon Beston is listed with them all also, and he isn't he also a "black-robe" adult voice? :)
http://www.mini-angels.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Lauren wrote: I think perhaps so. Simon Beston is listed with them all also, and he isn't he also a "black-robe" adult voice? :)
No idea how old Simon would have been back then but I'll hold my hands up on this one - I had assumed it must have been an Andy junior. Just goes to show you should never assume with Libera.

So, which song features Andy then?

Mercy & Love
Lauren
Silver Member

Post by Lauren »

Yorkie wrote:So, which song features Andy then?
He didn't say. I'm guessing Lament. ??? Maybe Be Still My Soul. ???
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Lauren wrote:
Yorkie wrote:So, which song features Andy then?
He didn't say. I'm guessing Lament. ??? Maybe Be Still My Soul. ???
I started listening before falling asleep last night and I was thinking that you could hear adult voices in Voca Me and Ave Verum (very subtle and almost undetectable without headphones). There is also a hint of a deeper voice on A New Heaven. I agree with Be Still but I'm not sure about Lament and Adoramus has a whiff of older voices iin a couple of places in the background (not the solo voice doing the aahh's which is one of the older boys).

Mercy & Love
FanInPlymouth

Post by FanInPlymouth »

FYI, Amazon UK have slashed the price of the 2-disc version of The Nutcracker by the Berliner Philharmoniker conducted by Simon Rattle which features Libera to £5.47. Whether this is permanent or merely part of the January sale I cannot say.

Details here