All tracks of Peace on Amazon

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

While the boys do not receive any kind of individual pay check, the charity known as Libera does receive pay for their concerts and cd's.
It is in their Articles of Incorporation that all profits must be returned to the charity.
This is no different than either my Civil War re-enactment unit or the musical group I performed with back in the 70's and 80's, The Westshoremen. Both The Westshoremen and Cooper's Battery B, are official non-profit charity groups. We, as Battery B are paid as a unit and all proceeds stay within the unit. We as individual members do not receive pay but the group is paid.
So, the charity known as Libera will receive all profits from the sale of Peace.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

TEB wrote:While the boys do not receive any kind of individual pay check, the charity known as Libera does receive pay for their concerts and cd's.
It is in their Articles of Incorporation that all profits must be returned to the charity.
This is no different than either my Civil War re-enactment unit or the musical group I performed with back in the 70's and 80's, The Westshoremen. Both The Westshoremen and Cooper's Battery B, are official non-profit charity groups. We, as Battery B are paid as a unit and all proceeds stay within the unit. We as individual members do not receive pay but the group is paid.
So, the charity known as Libera will receive all profits from the sale of Peace.
Thank you for clearing that up, I did not realize that despite being in a non profit performing group myself :shock: (then again i don't deal with the finances, i just perform)
bar
Silver Member

Post by bar »

Yes, generally non-profit groups like this are in it for the music. Any profits that they make are necessary, and are used for things like maintaining the white robes, renting rehearsal spaces, sending the boys overseas, food, water, etc.

This is a good method for non-profit groups to achieve self-sufficiency. While the donations Libera receives certainly are substantial, it's not enough to pay for all the technical fees.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TEB wrote:While the boys do not receive any kind of individual pay check, the charity known as Libera does receive pay for their concerts and cd's.
Just to expand on Tom's excellent post, the governing purpose of Libera (as a charity) is:

To advance, improve, develop and maintain public education in and appreciation of the art and science of boys' choral music by any charitable means the trustees think fit, including but not limited to, educating boys in choral singing and leading liturgical worship and through the presentation of public concerts and recitals.

That gives it rather a wider brief than just making records - they can do work beyond what we see and it has to be paid for.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

Thanks go out to Tom once again and to Yorkie....I love learning something new everyday.

Tom...did you have to seek out the excellent info or did you just happen to know that in your extensive knowledge? Just curious :)
bar
Silver Member

Post by bar »

irishoreo wrote:Thanks go out to Tom once again and to Yorkie....I love learning something new everyday.

Tom...did you have to seek out the excellent info or did you just happen to know that in your extensive knowledge? Just curious :)

Come now, last time I checked, Tom's brain is more illuminating than Google. :wink:
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

bar wrote:
irishoreo wrote:Thanks go out to Tom once again and to Yorkie....I love learning something new everyday.

Come now, last time I checked, Tom's brain is more illuminating than Google. :wink:
Actually, while I did know about how non profit charites are paid since I have belonged to two of them over the years, I also have a certain British friend who lives in Yorkshire, who explained some things to me recently.
If you do think about it, the choir does need to have a steady source of income just to keep the boys in uniforms and keep the robes clean. Even using a hand-me-down situation, just think about how many sets of blue shirts and pants they must go through. And, as far as I know, there is no charge to the parents for uniforms and so on. I was once told that family income had no bearing on membership. I could be wrong about if the parents do pay in but it could be on some sort of sliding scale.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American

irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

TEB wrote:
bar wrote:

Actually, while I did know about how non profit charites are paid since I have belonged to two of them over the years, I also have a certain British friend who lives in Yorkshire, who explained some things to me recently.
If you do think about it, the choir does need to have a steady source of income just to keep the boys in uniforms and keep the robes clean. Even using a hand-me-down situation, just think about how many sets of blue shirts and pants they must go through. And, as far as I know, there is no charge to the parents for uniforms and so on. I was once told that family income had no bearing on membership. I could be wrong about if the parents do pay in but it could be on some sort of sliding scale.

Hmmmm, well I do hope it sn't based on incomes, especially in this economy, something tells me it isn't because I don't believe RP would pass over natural talent(...no you didn't say anything in sense to this, i'm just stating in a general sense, so there is no confusion :) )
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

irishoreo wrote:
TEB wrote:
bar wrote:

Hmmmm, well I do hope it sn't based on incomes, especially in this economy, something tells me it isn't because I don't believe RP would pass over natural talent(...no you didn't say anything in sense to this, i'm just stating in a general sense, so there is no confusion :) )
Membership of Libera, to the best of my knowledge, is not based on income. As far as I know RP is only interested in talent.

Having said that I personally think that, in the UK, religion and boys singing are very middle class activities (not intending to offend anyone by referring to religion as an activity). I'm, not sure how many of the boys from less well off backgrounds manage to stay the course in the face of disinterested parent(s) and peer pressure. From the snippets I've seen (and I stress I have no personal knowledge of any of the boys or any contacts within Libera so what I see is via YouTube) they do come across as being, well, middle class. Not that being middle class, having parents that support you or loving singing is anything to be sorry for.

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yes i think most of the boys would come from middle class backgrounds. There may be a few who dont but most of them would come from goodback grounds.
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

From what I know from my contacts, most of the boys are from middle class famlies. One or two of the families are particularlly well off, so to speak but I don't think they fall into the "upper crust" society. Certainly not like those on the RMS Titanic: " Oh this ship can't sink" or " the lifeboats will be seated by class won't they?" or, " Only the better half will be saved.".
There used to be on You Tube a video of Jonathan B's little brother singing in their house and it certainly looked like a typical normal house for a nice normal family.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TEB wrote:There used to be on You Tube a video of Jonathan B's little brother singing in their house and it certainly looked like a typical normal house for a nice normal family.
Not like my house then :D

Mercy & Love
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

Yorkie wrote:
TEB wrote:There used to be on You Tube a video of Jonathan B's little brother singing in their house and it certainly looked like a typical normal house for a nice normal family.
Not like my house then :D
Aye, and not mine either!!!
Tom B.
Proud to be an American

Flora
Silver Member

Post by Flora »

libera36 wrote:Tom and Mini-Ben appear to be quite good friends, as they are often together in videos aswell. I think Daniel and Ed are also friends. You are right though, Sam and Liam don't seem to gravitate to anybody in particular... Except for maybe each other. :lol:
Haha, sorry, I know this was so three pages ago, but I’m behind in all the threads because of all the awesome new activity here! (Hi, everyone!) Sam and Liam have always seemed especially chummy to me (along with Michael Vereycken, when he was still touring). Remember this quote from Liam’s blog about When Will I Be Famous?
Sam managed to somehow magically explode my bottle of water from right in front of me! Well, maybe not magically. He just sent it flying with his own bottle of water.
Since I read that, I’ve sort of kept one eye on their friendship. They seem to hang around in the same pictures, and there was the Dublin bus video from July where they shared a seat. Here are a few other little moments that I've spotted:

[youtube][/youtube]

Liam and Sam talking and laughing about something together at 0:42.

[youtube][/youtube]

At 0:53, you can see them walking together in the background. Sam is carrying some white box thing by himself. When it cuts back to them at 1:01, Liam is giving him a hand with it.

(Hope it's still okay to embed videos--I haven't used this function for a long time!)
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Libera Official have sent tonight a twitt inviting anyone to go to Amazon.com to listen the new album and to share it :)

There is currently a little problem with the link they provided reaching Facebook, but this announce rejoin the message sent to Yorkie by Libera a few days ago.

Far from being upset by this surprizingly free access to all tracks of the new album, they will try to capitalize it to make more fans :)