New album is called Hope

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

andmar
Silver Member

Re: New album is called Hope

Post by andmar »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:08 pm">6 years ago</span> Listening calmly and in a well-prepared quiet environment to the album yesterday, I got a first impression, and, for the moment, I only want (or rather: just need) to say that it is Three Ravens and Stabat Mater which simply overwhelmed me immediately while listening, and, knowing myself, for these two songs I can definitely say that this feeling will remain with me. 
Yes, Three Ravens! Hypnotizing!! Just marvelous. :D
I myself needed some more time to discover the beauty of Sabat Mater, but now I love it too. :D

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:08 pm">6 years ago</span> .. as I am terribly frightened of Professor Surpinto's tribunal, if I fail to do so. :shock: :mrgreen:
Some people are really good at motivating the others, aren't they? :lol: :wink:

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:08 pm">6 years ago</span> However, I postpone my review until I know the songs a bit better, then write my opinion down...
Yes, take your time. It's fascinating, that with each listen something new can be discovered in Libera's music.
I'm definitely looking forward to reading your review, but I'm patient :) .
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

bachmahlerfan - Interesting and insightful musical observations! I will be listening closely to see if I can catch some of those elements you speak of. It is nice to have someone here with a good ear for hearing these minute details. Thank you very much. :D

filiarheni - We differ in our views on those two songs being the better ones on the album, but that is quite alright. Even though I am not a big fan of "Stabat Mater" and I didn't like it at all at first, it's a well done song. "Three Ravens" is a good one that I liked right away, but I'm just not moved by it very much. Still, other fans are on your side in this matter more so than they are on mine :wink: so I maintain a minority position only. :) Either way their singing is second to none!
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:08 pm">6 years ago</span>
I'm aware that I am a review debitor now that the CD at last has arrived, and anyway, I will do my homework, as I am terribly frightened of Professor Surpinto's tribunal, if I fail to do so. :shock: :mrgreen: However, I postpone my review until I know the songs a bit better, then write my opinion down and afterwards will gladly read all your reviews word for word, which I'm looking forward to very much! :)
:lol: :lol:

Yeah! The scrutiny and judgement shall go on and on until a full review is posted :twisted: :lol:
andmar wrote: <span title="Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:56 pm">6 years ago</span>
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:08 pm">6 years ago</span> .. as I am terribly frightened of Professor Surpinto's tribunal, if I fail to do so. :shock: :mrgreen:
Some people are really good at motivating the others, aren't they? :lol: :wink:
At least I'm good at something here. :lol: :wink:

Reading reviews is such a good way for us to all get to know each other both as fans of the choir and as individual music listeners. It's amazing that a piece of music can reduce one person to tears and have no effect on another. "Salve Regina" is such a song that affects me very much, and which I long to hear live in concert. I will have to have a handkerchief ready if they ever do.....and I'm not usually that sort!
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:52 am">6 years ago</span> Reading reviews is such a good way for us to all get to know each other both as fans of the choir and as individual music listeners. It's amazing that a piece of music can reduce one person to tears and have no effect on another.
Fully agreed!!! It would be boring if we all had the same taste, wouldn't it.
I think, it's great, that we all love Libera and still have our own personal favourite songs, which may be different than the favourites of the others. Libera cares anyway, by singing songs of a wide variety of styles, that everyone can pick up those, which best suit his/her taste.
And so, we are all enriched by other opinions and maybe we can sometimes widen our own perspective too. Well, this at least often works for me so.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:52 am">6 years ago</span> filiarheni - We differ in our views on those two songs being the better ones on the album, but that is quite alright.
At least, we share Secret, don't we? :lol:
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:52 am">6 years ago</span>...being the better ones ...other fans are on your side in this matter more so than they are on mine :wink: so I maintain a minority position only.
It's amazing that a piece of music can reduce one person to tears and have no effect on another. "Salve Regina" is such a song that affects me very much, and which I long to hear live in concert.
I feel such a need to share what I feel and think right now, because there is so much to say around, one sentence is not enough, but I can't yet. It seems to me that the Three Ravens and Stabat Mater are, after the first time, my favourites among excellent songs. But, I've already had a development from the first to the second time listening to Venite Adoremus! (I have to restrain myself immediately now, otherwise my review will become a puzzle.)
andmar wrote: <span title="Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:02 pm">6 years ago</span> I think, it's great, that we all love Libera and still have our own personal favourite songs, which may be different than the favourites of the others. Libera cares anyway, by singing songs of a wide variety of styles, that everyone can pick up those, which best suit his/her taste.
And so, we are all enriched by other opinions and maybe we can sometimes widen our own perspective too. Well, this at least often works for me so.
I think exactly the same way, most important is your second to last sentence! And I find it fascinating how, with one and the same person, we differ here and meet there in which Libera songs we prefer.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Wed May 31, 2017 10:17 pm">6 years ago</span> [...] with Stabat Mater, it took me a few hearings to notice the use of the saxophone (at least I think it's a saxophone), and even more hearings to notice the two instances of the hi-hat cymbal being used. The credits list a saxophone player, and this is the only song where I am hearing it. The saxophone is easily heard when the choir does the first "pia mater", but I also noticed it after that where I initially thought I was hearing the cello. I don't know of any other Libera song that uses the saxophone, but let me know if there is one. To hear the hi-hat, you have to listen closely around the 1:32-1:38 time frame and again from 3:37-3:44.
I was surprised about a possible saxophone in Stabat Mater - oh, how I love this song! - because I don't think that its sound fits the character of this song's arrangement. I haven't heard anything that sounds like a soprano saxophone, which should be discerned distinctly due to its higher register. However, I do hear a cello, where you thought to be hearing a cello before. :wink: During the "pia mater" bit a horn and then a cello. No soprano saxophone in this song, but I've been thinking about Three Ravens instead. At first, I thought of a clarinet or an electronical clarinet sound of the keyboard playing the hurrying runs that obviously imitate the ravens' flapping of their wings. But maybe, these are the saxophone's parts we're looking for.

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Wed May 31, 2017 10:17 pm">6 years ago</span> There is one spot in The Three Ravens at the 1:56 mark where I hear a strange sound in the instrumentation. Is that a synthetic sound or some type of percussion?
If you and I are referring to the same sound at 1:56, it might be be a flam (correct word?) on a crash cymbal.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:05 pm">6 years ago</span> I was surprised about a possible saxophone in Stabat Mater - oh, how I love this song! - because I don't think that its sound fits the character of this song's arrangement. I haven't heard anything that sounds like a soprano saxophone, which should be discerned distinctly due to its higher register. However, I do hear a cello, where you thought to be hearing a cello before. :wink: During the "pia mater" bit a horn and then a cello. No soprano saxophone in this song, but I've been thinking about Three Ravens instead. At first, I thought of a clarinet or an electronical clarinet sound of the keyboard playing the hurrying runs that obviously imitate the ravens' flapping of their wings. But maybe, these are the saxophone's parts we're looking for.
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Wed May 31, 2017 10:17 pm">6 years ago</span> There is one spot in The Three Ravens at the 1:56 mark where I hear a strange sound in the instrumentation. Is that a synthetic sound or some type of percussion?
If you and I are referring to the same sound at 1:56, it might be be a flam (correct word?) on a crash cymbal.
You may be right about the saxophone, because you would think that it would be used for higher notes than what is played in Stabat Mater. I think I was tricked by the way the cello is being played with very little vibrato. I still distinctly hear the use of percussion however, and I can't think of anything else other than the hi-hat. Considering the soprano sax player's personal connection to John Harle (who is a world-renowned saxophonist) which I noted in a previous post, it would make sense that he would be playing the sax in "The Three Ravens." It sounds different than it would in jazz, but that is probably due to it being played differently for a different style of music. John Harle is well known for the use of the saxophone in Classical music. I'm still convinced that RP knows John Harle personally. As for the 1:56 mark, I'm not very knowledgeable in the area of percussion, but it doesn't sound like a crash cymbal to me.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:40 pm">6 years ago</span> Considering the soprano sax player's personal connection to John Harle (who is a world-renowned saxophonist) which I noted in a previous post, it would make sense that he would be playing the sax in "The Three Ravens."
The runs in the original version seem more electronic to me.

It seems that John Harle himself did the Libera arrangement, since both versions are nearly identical. (This supports your conviction that he and Robert know each other.) There is enough difference, though, in singing above all of course, to clearly judge which version I prefer ... objective, honestly. :wink:
Karo

Post by Karo »

Hey guys, after listening to the album for a little while know, I also wanted to give a (late) review of what I think about it. I`m from Germany by the way, so please excuse me for any weird spelling mistakes… 😝 I just hope you enjoy it!

San Damiano is a song I was especially looking forward to listen to because I really loved it since I first heard it in Vallendar. I like how it`s very energetic, particularly when they accentuate “HEART and soul” by adding a second voice in the background. As it`s the only one without a soloist, the song proves to me that Libera`s pieces can still be excellent without having the focus on a sweet soloist`s voice.

When I first heard Salve Regina I got a little bit confused because I expected Rocco`s solo to be longer. I waited to hear him singing and when it finally happened the song was over. 😝 Nevertheless I find the song very touching and the (definitely too short) solo is of cause beautiful.

Benedictus Deus is one of those songs, which are some kind of remembrance to the batch of soloists shaping the choir for the last few years. Together with Angel, Home and Jupiter it demonstrates Tom DL`s, Ciaran`s and Isaac`s outstanding voices one last time.

Coming back to Isaac, who got several solos on the album… Even though his active solo career ended about one year ago, he can still be seen as one of the leading soloists of “Hope”. That proves to me that he is really one of Libera`s best, as he`s able to do both sweet and touching (Hymn to Mary is heart melting) as well as mysterious songs (Stabat Mater really covers his whole voice range).

What I find new in comparison to past albums is that you`re able to make out the deeper voices in some parts of the songs, like in Smile. It`s untypical for Libera songs but I have to say that I loved it! And again, the older boys about to leave are somehow remembered, this time also Alessandro, who really brightens up the song with his deep and soft voice in the background. Gabe sounds excellent too, I find his voice similar to Merlin`s in “I vow to thee”, but it`s probably just the recording…

After reading the first reactions about Three Ravens, I was really looking forward to this one too. They aren`t performing it live, probably because Gregor and Alex M started to hit puberty, but I can so well imagine the whole choir having their hoods on while a soloist sings the “aaaahhhs” from the back of the stage – very mysterious.

Another song that definitely got me was Wayfaring Stranger. Together with “Wonderful World” it started to become a newer trade mark song like “Sanctus” or “Libera”, as it was performed ever since the first recording in America. I can`t describe it very well, but Alex G`s voice fits the song perfectly and adds something to it. I feel like it`s a bit higher than Sam`s but much more sorrowful. I hope to hear more of him.

The only peace that didn`t reach me at first was Venite Adoremus. I wish there were more of these wonderful “Venite adoremus”- parts and less vocalising in between. But after hearing it a few times I actually find it quite chilling.

After hearing him singing “Angel” in Vallendar, I hoped Camden would also have been recorded for the album because I loved his voice. Even though it`s not Angel, I really like him in Dreaming of Home, which has a simple verse- chorus- structure making it easy to sing along. Same with From a Distance, that has become one of my favourite songs on Hope. It`s just perfect and fits the message of the album so well! I just wish they would have made a music video for it…

Last but not least is Angele Dei, which must be extremely difficult to sing live. Like most people before I can just say that it`s incredibly mysterious and marvellous. Just typically Libera… hopefully they return back to Germany/ Middle Europe soon so that I can enjoy them live once again!
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Thank you Karo for your excellent review. I really enjoyed reading it.
Karo wrote: <span title="Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:12 pm">6 years ago</span> What I find new in comparison to past albums is that you`re able to make out the deeper voices in some parts of the songs, like in Smile. It`s untypical for Libera songs but I have to say that I loved it! And again, the older boys about to leave are somehow remembered, this time also Alessandro, who really brightens up the song with his deep and soft voice in the background. Gabe sounds excellent too, I find his voice similar to Merlin`s in “I vow to thee”, but it`s probably just the recording…
Yes, definitely. The deeper voices enrich the whole picture of a song and Alessandro together with Gabe sound absolutely beautiful in 'Smile'.

I am happy too, that outstanding soloists like Isaac, Tom, Ciaran and Alessandro have been remembered on the album as well as current core singers of Libera: Rocco, Gabe, Merlin, Camden, Alex M. and Alex G and Gregor. The boys simply deserve it.
Karo wrote: <span title="Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:12 pm">6 years ago</span> ... hopefully they return back to Germany/ Middle Europe soon so that I can enjoy them live once again!
Yes, I hope that too. Though, I don't want to speculate about chances, but in any case England is not so very far away from us and we can visit Libera at their home too.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

I received the international version of "Hope" yesterday. I like the packaging and much prefer the track order compared with the Japan version - though I would have preferred if "Venite Adoremus" and "Angel" had switched places. I do not miss "Jupiter". The vocal part was great but I found the lengthy violin solo depressing as audio alone - though it works well as an accompaniment to the figure skating video. I am sometimes accused of being too generous with my praise for Libera but if anything truly deserves the highest possible accolades it is "Three Ravens". Gregor's performance is simply phenomenal and after umpteen listenings still gives me goosebumps. The orchestration is breathtaking. I would love to hear it performed live.
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

john45 wrote: <span title="Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:19 pm">6 years ago</span> ... but if anything truly deserves the highest possible accolades it is "Three Ravens". Gregor's performance is simply phenomenal and after umpteen listenings still gives me goosebumps. The orchestration is breathtaking. I would love to hear it performed live.
Yes, absolutely agreed. The song is just hypnotizing. I'd love to hear it performed live too, but it may be difficult. First of all - Gregor doesn't have much time left as a soloist. An to play the music probably a bigger orchestra is needed.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thank you for the review, Karo, I greatly enjoyed reading it. :D I agree with both you and John that "The Three Ravens" deserves full accolades for Gregor's performance. It is very well done and has grown on me big time.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

The CD ordered from Invisible Hands still has not arrived. :cry: I wrote two e-mails to them, the first only to ask how I can track shipment, but there was no reaction to none of them. So I called, twice as well, but I reached nobody, left a message on the answering machine - reaction: nothing. :x Slowly but surely, I'm getting annoyed. At least, they could grant me an answer. Since I don't know anymore what to do, does anyone of you have an idea or could help me how to track the album? I seem to be too blind.

Well, certainly, all the waiting is a compensation of the fact that I had a concert in my country only several months after coming across Libera first. So little waiting time was just too much. :lol:
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:38 pm">6 years ago</span> The CD ordered from Invisible Hands still has not arrived. :cry: I wrote two e-mails to them, the first only to ask how I can track shipment, but there was no reaction to none of them. So I called, twice as well, but I reached nobody, left a message on the answering machine - reaction: nothing. :x Slowly but surely, I'm getting annoyed. At least, they could grant me an answer. Since I don't know anymore what to do, does anyone of you have an idea or could help me how to track the album? I seem to be too blind.

Well, certainly, all the waiting is a compensation of the fact that I had a concert in my country only several months after coming across Libera first. So little waiting time was just too much. :lol:
Unbelievable! Such a bad luck :cry: . First waiting for the CD from Japan and now this. At least you still have your sense of humor, which possibly helps a bit. :wink:

My copies of Hope arrived quickly from England - within 3 days. They were sent by ordinary mail, not registered mail, so I guess, there is no possibility to track anything. Maybe, in addition to sending e-mails every day and trying to reach IHM by phone at different times during the day, you could (as an act of desperation :wink: ) try to contact Libera directly by using the contact form on their web page. Well, if the official shop remains silent after so many enquiries ...
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

andmar wrote: <span title="Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:13 pm">6 years ago</span> Maybe, in addition to sending e-mails every day and trying to reach IHM by phone at different times during the day, you could (as an act of desperation :wink: ) try to contact Libera directly by using the contact form on their web page.
Thank you, andmar, for being at my side. :) And to add some more disbelief to the disbelief: I did even send the website contact form to the Libera staff already two days ago, after considering for quite a while if I should really do that. Also without success so far.

You might be right about the missing possiblity to track it, but why did IHM write: "Your order is on the way to you. Track your shipment to see the delivery status."?

"If you have any questions, reply to this email or contact us at sales@invisiblehands.co.uk"
I had a question. Ok - they didn't say that they would answer, did they? :wink: :roll:

I feel lost. I didn't want to use amazon, but if there is no other way, what can I do? This album is meant to be a present and the birthday is over. This is no problem at all, I made a gift certificate for a surprise gift, but it shouldn't take until the next birthday has come, and well, an answer would be so fine.