Angels Sing - Libera in America

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Re: Washington Concert DVD

Post by TullyBascombe »

Thanks. I sent a similar email the day before, but neglected to include "Blu-ray" as the type of DVD in question. It was late at night and I had spent hours trying o track down an answer. My pre-order as been placed.
chris17

Post by chris17 »

Thanks for the information Bruce! :D Looks like I'll be getting the Blu-Ray after all.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thank you, Bruce, we all feel much better now.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

BruceH wrote:I just received a reply from Libera relative to the Blu-Ray situation. Apparently the description on Amazon is WRONG. Here's the message from Libera. It makes me happy, and I hope it does everyone else concerned with this matter:

"Hello Bruce

Thank you for your email bringing this confusion to our attention.

We have been assured by the recording company that the Blu-ray is region free and available for all territories. No restriction was intended and we understand that the information provided by Amazon is being reviewed. We do hope that you and others who support Libera will go ahead and purchase the recording and thoroughly enjoy watching and listening to it.

best regards,

Libera
"
You should have just listened to me Bruce - Yorkie the Oracle :wink:
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

And another preview video by Libera for the new DVD, this time of "The Prayer".

[BBvideo 560,315][/BBvideo]
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

One more preview video. "America the Beautiful"

[BBvideo 560,315][/BBvideo]
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Should be all systems go for anybody who wants to download the new CD on ITunes (Germany and Austria appeared to be able to do this over the weekend) ITunes appears to have the digital rights for MP3, amazon does not feature the autorip feature and it's not available on google play. I'm waiting for my CD & DVD to arrive in the post.

Great start on Amazon (US) site... running ahead of the nuns.

My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Is the song "I vow to Thee my country" only available on the Itunes Download ? :|
labbie

Post by labbie »

Canadian Amazon customers will have to wait approximately five days to a week from tomorrow for the CD.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Just to confirm the blu-ray is region free & "designed for worldwide pkayback".
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Saw the concert on a PBS broadcast. It was excellent.

There is something that happens with the microphone (some sort of feedback) when Tom speaks in Spanish to introduce "Wonderful World" and he starts cracking up along with Sam. :lol:
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Libera Official has posted the full version of "Joyful, Joyful" on YouTube:
[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

I got the iTunes download that includes the extra song "I Vow To Thee My Country" plus a digital booklet; which is the PDF version of the CD insert. I was listening much of the day yesterday and I have to say I am enjoying this new album. They did an excellent job in post-production of cleaning up any wanted and residual sounds of the audience as well as some of the audio equipment glitches that a few of us heard.

Favorites and highlights so far:

Be Still My Soul - Tom hits those high notes perfectly and the large back row of lower voices makes this recording as good as the studio version on the album Free which is saying a lot for this fan favorite.

Ave Maria - Another success for Tom. This version (Schubert) has always been my favorite of Ave Maria. It is done very nicely indeed with that very pure voice that Tom possesses with a lot of vocal control.

Joyful Joyful - I was blown away by this song the first time I heard it and, though Libera does a lot of more subtle and mellow songs, when they choose to do a more powerful song, such as this one, is just sounds incredible.

How Great Thou Art - I didn't think I would like this one at first, but the execution on it is excellent and Sam's voice is ideal for the solo parts.

The only song on the album I still feel like I have to warm up to is "Wayfaring Stranger" because my mind still hasn't quite accepted a choral version with classical instruments of this traditional folk song.

The album is excellent and, while many of the songs are repeats from Libera or Angel Voices albums, I think that the new soloists and new subtleties in delivery, as well as the musical ambiance of that enormous cathedral, make this album a success. For example, Ciaran's solo on "Amazing Grace" was really nice and elevated a song that I've heard so many times before that I didn't think anything would make me want to listen to it more than once for the novelty.

To summarize, I encourage everyone to buy this album you won't regret it. :D

Oh, and here are some pictures Libera tweeted out of the choristers with the new album (lol at Ciaran hungry for the new music :lol: )
[thumbnail]http://s16.postimg.org/c8y9vvtp1/B_ILGq2_W0_AAjm5_U.jpg[/thumbnail][thumbnail]http://s16.postimg.org/wchw7xlp1/B_ILGqc_Wo_AASe_S6.jpg[/thumbnail][thumbnail]http://s16.postimg.org/enq5gb9xx/B_ILGqk_Wk_AAZ9br.jpg[/thumbnail][thumbnail]http://s16.postimg.org/4rp2go45x/B_ILGqr_Wk_AAryz_R.jpg[/thumbnail][thumbnail]http://s16.postimg.org/n3fpxtct1/B_IMYF ... _large.jpg[/thumbnail][thumbnail]http://s16.postimg.org/smi9f19ud/B_Kc8p ... _large.jpg[/thumbnail][thumbnail]http://s16.postimg.org/av6n0kufp/B_KXgo ... _large.jpg[/thumbnail]
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Surpinto wrote: The only song on the album I still feel like I have to warm up to is "Wayfaring Stranger" because my mind still hasn't quite accepted a choral version with classical instruments of this traditional folk song.
Well, I guess it just depends upon what you're used to. I first heard "Wayfaring Stranger" at the New York Concert by Candlelight in April and was very impressed. I had not heard any previous versions. At Washington, along with many others, I was simply blown away by the performance. The staging, the lighting, the sound, the ambience - all were brilliant. I listened to a few of the folksy versions on YouTube today (Cash,Baez,Adkins,Young) and found them all to be depressing dirges compared with Libera's uplifting version.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

john45 wrote:
Surpinto wrote: The only song on the album I still feel like I have to warm up to is "Wayfaring Stranger" because my mind still hasn't quite accepted a choral version with classical instruments of this traditional folk song.
Well, I guess it just depends upon what you're used to. I first heard "Wayfaring Stranger" at the New York Concert by Candlelight in April and was very impressed. I had not heard any previous versions. At Washington, along with many others, I was simply blown away by the performance. The staging, the lighting, the sound, the ambience - all were brilliant. I listened to a few of the folksy versions on YouTube today (Cash,Baez,Adkins,Young) and found them all to be depressing dirges compared with Libera's uplifting version.
After listening to it several times it has grown on me for sure. But you are completely right, it's all about what you're used to. Libera did an excellent job on the the arrangement and the staging, but it is just taking me longer to become adjusted to the music being done in this way. At the DC concert, prior to the performance, I was looking at the program and wondering how in the world Libera would be doing this song. In fact, my first thought was that there must be a different song with that name that they were singing; so unthinkable was it to me that it was the folk song. I know you listened to the folk versions, and the best of those is a version sung and played by Ralph Stanley, an acclaimed folk and bluegrass musician:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr_NsiYNti8

Yes, that folk musical style is not for everyone. Libera certainly turned it into an uplifting piece - how ever do they manage to do that time after time? :wink: That's what's so great about them I guess :D