Angels Sing - Libera in America

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

chris17

Re: Washington Concert DVD

Post by chris17 »

I've been checking iTunes constantly, and the album is now back, now with samples for all the songs! :D I just finished listening to the samples, and I can't wait to hear the rest of Voca Me, because it sounded fantastic - Tom can really reach those high notes. I also really like the beginning of How Great Thou Art, with the instrumentation slowly building while Sam sings his solo. And Isaac's solo at the beginning of The Prayer was really, really good - probably my favorite of his solos that I've heard so far, and the best version of that song that I've heard also. :D I am so excited to hear the rest of the album.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Well spotted Chris - I've just had a run through before leaving for work - sounds great. Isaac's composure on stage is flawless, it would be all too easy to slightly rush ahead in such an atmosphere, but he appears to take his guidance from RP very well. All the boys are very good at that.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
BruceH

Post by BruceH »

Today I noted that Amazon (USA) is listing the new Blu-Ray of the Washington Concert as Region B/2. That means it will not play on USA Blu-Ray players. I thought it was originally listed as "All Region." Does anyone have better information about the region listing for this Blu-Ray? Is this perhaps a mistake by Amazon?. I've had it on order for about four weeks and may now have to change my order. It seems a bit strange that Libera would not want this to be playable in the US.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

chris17 wrote:I've been checking iTunes constantly, and the album is now back, now with samples for all the songs! :D I just finished listening to the samples, and I can't wait to hear the rest of Voca Me, because it sounded fantastic - Tom can really reach those high notes. I also really like the beginning of How Great Thou Art, with the instrumentation slowly building while Sam sings his solo. And Isaac's solo at the beginning of The Prayer was really, really good - probably my favorite of his solos that I've heard so far, and the best version of that song that I've heard also. :D I am so excited to hear the rest of the album.
It all sounds great and I can't wait to hear it all!

The song that blew me away was "Ave Maria" as Tom's voice is so pure and well suited to it. I remember during the actual concert I heard what sounded like a crack in a piece of audio equipment at one point but I am sure they fixed that in post production.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

BruceH wrote:Today I noted that Amazon (USA) is listing the new Blu-Ray of the Washington Concert as Region B/2. That means it will not play on USA Blu-Ray players. I thought it was originally listed as "All Region." Does anyone have better information about the region listing for this Blu-Ray? Is this perhaps a mistake by Amazon?. I've had it on order for about four weeks and may now have to change my order. It seems a bit strange that Libera would not want this to be playable in the US.
You're right, I hadn't noticed. I sent an email to Amazon tonight. I'll post if I find out anything, please post if you find something out.
chris17

Post by chris17 »

TullyBascombe wrote:
BruceH wrote:Today I noted that Amazon (USA) is listing the new Blu-Ray of the Washington Concert as Region B/2. That means it will not play on USA Blu-Ray players. I thought it was originally listed as "All Region." Does anyone have better information about the region listing for this Blu-Ray? Is this perhaps a mistake by Amazon?. I've had it on order for about four weeks and may now have to change my order. It seems a bit strange that Libera would not want this to be playable in the US.
You're right, I hadn't noticed. I sent an email to Amazon tonight. I'll post if I find out anything, please post if you find something out.
Good catch Bruce - I wouldn't have even thought to check that! Tully I'm looking forward to hearing if you find out anything. That does seem really weird that the Blu-Ray version in the US wouldn't be playable in the US, and I can imagine a lot of customers who don't read these forums being really disappointed if that is the case. I don't want to cancel my order of the Blu-Ray because I got a good price with the pre-order price guarantee, but I just pre-ordered the DVD version also (which is listed as being all regions), and I can cancel one order depending on what we find out.
labbie

Post by labbie »

It is odd that Warner Classics would issue a Blu-Ray DVD in North America that is incompatible with most players sold here. I pre-ordered the Blu-Ray on Amazon Canada, and the Canadian site does not refer to any problem with the DVD on this region's players. I'll have to e-mail both Warner Classics and Amazon.ca to find out what is going on. There's no point in buying something that won't work.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

It surely is an error - It would be very strange that a Blu-Ray Disc produced in America, sold on amazon.us with the name 'America' in the title would prevent aforementioned US consumer playing it back on their compatible device??

The DVD back cover has now been updated...

The DVD at least refers to being region free and compatible on all system worldwide.
Last edited by JimmyRiddle on Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
labbie

Post by labbie »

Well, I decided to be on the safe side and changed my order, cancelling the Blu-Ray, and ordering the regular DVD instead.
BruceH

Post by BruceH »

Thanks to everyone who has posted in response to my question about the BluRay. I agree that it doesn't make sense that Libera would put out something that could not be used in the US, Canada, or even Japan where they are very popular. I plan to wait a few days to see if anyone on the forum gets a more definitive response from Amazon or Warner Classics before changing my order. It will be a big disappointment, however, to not be able to use the BluRay if it turns out that it's limited to region B/2. It's too bad that Amazon is only showing the back of the DVD case. If we could see the back of the BluRay case, we'd know for sure.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I spoke to customer service at Amazon, the agent reassured me that the disc would play on American players, but frankly I'm not certain she understood the issue.
labbie

Post by labbie »

I have just sent an e-mail to Amazon.ca, describing the issue of the Region B2 Blu-Ray, asking them why they were selling it if it was incompatible with North American Blu-Ray players. We will see what kind of response I will get.
Cristina

Post by Cristina »

I have been listening the album preview songs on iTunes way too much the last couple days. :) My favorite song, hands down, has to be "Prayer." Isaac's voice is so steady and controlled, but powerful on this song. Great things are yet to come for him. My second favorite is "Morning Has Broken." I think the opening of the song with just a few boys singing sounds so beautiful. I am also greatful that they performed a live version of "How Shall I Sing that Majesty". Ciaran's solo in Amazing Grace just blew me away. I am eagerly counting down the days until I have both CD and DVD in hand.

Does anyone know who harmonizes with Isaac on "Song of Life" ? It sounds great. I know that in the original version it was Ralph and James Mordaunt, but I can't figure who it is this time.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

As far as I can surmise the ultimate producer of the DVD and Blu Ray is PBS. I've searched through Warner Group's websites and it's not listed, though it's mentioned on PBS's websites. I don't know why PBS would offer a disc that's not usable in the United States. I suppose they might not want the disc to compete with their broadcasts, but surely they're getting a part of the profit from the disc sales, so even that wouldn't be logical. We still have more than 2 weeks before the discs ship, so I think it would be reasonable to hold off on cancelling until we get more information.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

All is not lost. I contacted Amazon.com again via chat and was fortunate enough to connect with someone knowledgeable. She informed me that the Blu Ray product offered was indeed region B/2 and would not play on a standard American player. I cancelled that order and then looked around. I was peeved and was looking to give someone at Warner Music a piece of my mind. On Bluray.com I found a region A Blu Ray version. Strangely when I ordered it I was taken right back to Amazon.com, but on this order page it clearly indicated that the disc was region A, so I ordered it. Go figure.