Angels Sing - Libera in America

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

Robolib7

Re: Washington Concert DVD

Post by Robolib7 »

I had ordered the BluRay on March 13th on Amazon.ca and was advised that delivery would be sometime between March 31st and April 17th.
kringle

Post by kringle »

labbie wrote:I was just notified by Amazon Canada that instead of a delivery today, March 17th, there has been a delay, and the new estimate for delivery is anywhere from April 2nd to April 20th - hmmmmm! Have any Canadians received the DVD or Blu-Ray yet?
I had the blu-ray on order from Amazon.ca since January. They said I would receive it between March 16-23. I got tired of waiting and cancelled my order. HMV in Toronto got one copy in yesterday and I bought if from there instead. A classical music store (Atelier Grigorian) near my office also has some on order which they expected to get this week.
labbie

Post by labbie »

I, too, got tired of waiting and cancelled with Amazon.ca. This may seem a bit silly to some, but I decided to pay a bit more and ordered from Amazon.com with priority shipping. I don't want to take the chance of it arriving while I'm away and not able to take it from between my front doors. There is no one who could watch for it during the day - my neighbours all work. I will supposedly get it by Friday, March 20th.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Great news for Libera to help raise public awareness about the America CD on this side of the atlantic. Classic FM are featuring it all next week for their 'Album of the week' program with John Suchet after 10am. http://www.classicfm.com/artists/libera ... n-america/

They normally play a selection of songs throughout the week so good exposure to an ever increasing Classic FM audience.

...in Taiwan another demonstration of the high regard Libera is held throughout parts of Asia;

courtesy of Richard Chen on twitter

...here if your lucky enough to find an high street music store, there might be a copy of the CD/DVD hidden behind Il Divo/Jenkins in the alphabetical listings... :roll:
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Finally got to see the Blu-Ray version on a decent big-screen tv. Makes all the difference as far as giving a more accurate representation of the beauty of the venue and the amazing lighting effects. No longer any complaints there. Still peeved that they messed up the song order, the applause, and moved the best songs to the bonus section. Surely on the retail version it wasn't mandatory to follow the PBS edited version - which was only designed to fit into PBS's irritating pledge break routine. Many times have I changed channels during these seemingly interminable pledge breaks.
I know that the Armagh concert was recorded in high definition and even the Leiden concert as well. Is there any hope that these recordings may eventually see the light of day, I wonder.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Wow! I could not even begin to imagine seeing such a stand in a music store in the United States. It still amazes me how popular they are in east Asia; greeted (mobbed) by hoards of screaming fans and marketed like rock stars.
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

After 9 days of delivery time finally my DVD has arrived! It comes from Guernsey all the way to Germany :lol:
2015 März dvd.jpg
2015 März dvd.jpg (171.16 KiB) Viewed 6804 times
2015 März dvd.jpg
2015 März dvd.jpg (171.16 KiB) Viewed 6804 times
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

maartendas wrote:Waiting for my physical copy to get to the Dutch online retail store I ordered it from, and listening via Spotify in the meantime. Went straight to How Great Thou Art because I was the most curious for that song. My reaction: WOW. They did something very special with the arrangement. Is it Prizeman's arrangement? I don't know how to explain in musical terms but the first part seems like it has a counter atmosphere going on, almost as if the uplifting lyrics are climbing uphill against the wind. And then the finale changes that feeling and it really sounds like what the words are saying, Christ coming to take a person to heaven. Like the light breaking through. I'm just really impressed with their version of a song that has a special meaning for me - the first time I ever heard it was on the lake of Galilee, which is in the Bible as the lake Jesus visited many times :)
katyafan wrote:Maartendas:

I too am waiting (not patiently, though) for my physical copy! In musical terms what they are doing is switching keys from minor to major. I found a YouTube video that is really good at explain this. If it doesn't post, just copy the link, or could a moderator help me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAXrgl_oF-8

Nice review here http://rockingodshouse.com/libera-angel ... an-review/, and particular reference to 'How Great Thou Art'
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Cool review :)

I have just been watching a clip of Wayfaring stranger which makes me appreciate this version even more.
Sams concentration while singing his solo is unwavering and totally serious. The other boys do a great job in patiently waiting to join him and also have to listen carefully to eachother and the music. The buildup as the atmosphere changes is captured perfectly in the shots of the boys lined up in a row. Particularly moving is the sight of the difference in face and expression between the younger and the older boys. And in the midst of this all is lone, strong Sam delivering his solo while not letting his eyes stray one second from that promised land.
To me it's right up there with legendary performances like Going Home from the Leiden DVD.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Yes the staging of Wayfaring Stranger very much enhanced the meaning of the song.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Classic FM's album of the week feature has resulted in a positive impact on Libera's amazon.co.uk ranking;

So far they have played 'Ave Maria', 'Sanctus', 'Amazing Grace' and today 'Be Still My Soul' which surprised the show's host John Suchet who had never before heard such a choral arrangement of Sibelius' Finlandia.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Surpinto wrote:I think he is being silly and trying to say his line in Spanish in a dramatic sports announcer voice or whatever. You can see that he starts laughing and Sam is holding back laughing too. When they pan the camera back over to them Tom is still laughing and looking over at Sam.
That bit just cracks me up :D So spontaneous :)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Re: Angels Sing - Libera in America

Post by JimmyRiddle »

The 'Libera in America' concert looks set for it's Swiss TV debut on 04.12.2016
http://www.srf.ch/sendungen/sternstunde ... zum-advent

Strangely they are promoting it for advent and mention 'Christmas Songs' so I'm not sure if they have it confused with the 'Ireland' DVD and have listed the wrong concert or maybe they are providing a mixture of the two.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Hi, I am digging out this topic. :D Reading Libera Tour in the USA's reviews made me nostalgic and I had a lovely concert tonight thanks to the DVD from 2014.

I was quite puzzled when I realised... Tom DL who is doing most of the first treble notes is located at far left of the stage. Nowadays this job is Sam-Francis (for exemple) and he is definitely at far right of the stage. Was this a unique disposition due to the 9 cameras or something ? Or did RP changed radically the situation of these treble boys ? I only attended concerts after 2014 and I think they already were on right side.

It's funny how I always spot new things when I watch these DVDs. Also as I now encountered a lot of Libera fans I could recognised some faces in the audience :lol:

Also, I realised the last DVD is nearly reaching 5 years old. Happy birthday DVD :roll: . Most of the boys have left, only Rocco and Alex G, youngest at the time, are still part of the group. Do you think we could hope for another DVD soon ? Is that a thing Libera can choose about or are they depending on offers ?
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

It's fun to reminisce! That concert and DVD holds a special place in my heart as it was my first time seeing them perform. It was a fantastic concert and moved me very much to the point that I joined this forum. 5 yeras already? WOW! Time files. Will they make another DVD someday? I hope so, but I think we should start that discussion in a new thread rather than hijacking this old one. :D