"Song of Life - A Collection" CD

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Re: "Song of Life - A Collection" CD

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Shame there isn't one or two new songs, unless there is some bonus feature not yet disclosed. The price tag would seeem to suggest something extra than a selection of previously released tracks.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
labbie

Post by labbie »

I would think that these are all previously released tracks. While it may be that people like most of us on this forum have already purchased CDs or MP3 tracks of this music, this CD might be considered by those who are discovering Libera's music for the first time. This CD could possibly be offered at the upcoming concerts in Northern Ireland or if there are other concerts in the UK (I don't know that for certain). The tracks on the CD offer an overview of Libera's music over the past few years; something a new listener might consider. I personally will not buy this CD, unless it does contain versions recorded with new soloists (which I doubt). The description on Amazon UK gives the impression that, with the exception of "Song of Life", which was only available on the Japanese import, all of the other songs were on previous recordings. However, I do agree that it is still a beautiful collection of songs.
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

No new songs & only repetitions. I don't want to hear Sanctus, Gloria & Deep Peace again & again :x
I spend no money for that.
Liberation
Silver Member

Post by Liberation »

I hope it contains new versions of the well known songs and maybe some extras within the booklet (nice photo's or something like that)
so that it is more worthwile to buy the album. I'm gonna buy it, I will have everything of Libera !
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

Liberation wrote:I hope it contains new versions of the well known songs ...
Yes, special when I take a look to the cover - otherwise for me it's a 'bluff package' and I will not spend one penny for it :shock:
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

viabuona wrote:
Liberation wrote:I hope it contains new versions of the well known songs ...
Yes, special when I take a look to the cover - otherwise for me it's a 'bluff package' and I will not spend one penny for it :shock:

Was Cassius not on the " Peace " album and if he was then its not a bluff as there are Peace songs on this album :mrgreen:
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

dani wrote:Was Cassius not on the " Peace " album and if he was then its not a bluff as there are Peace songs on this album :mrgreen:
No, he was on the Christmas Album. Here a link to the Peace-Album
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

viabuona wrote:
dani wrote:Was Cassius not on the " Peace " album and if he was then its not a bluff as there are Peace songs on this album :mrgreen:
No, he was on the Christmas Album. Here a link to the Peace-Album

Duh!!!

I totally worded that wrong. I meant if Cassius sung on Peace then its not a bluff as some of them songs are on this album :D

So that would be the justification having him on the album :)

Plus its a stunning cover and for new fans that may attract them to buy it. We do not matter as much as we are already fans so its not aimed at us really :mrgreen:
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

dani wrote:I totally worded that wrong. I meant if Cassius sung on Peace then its not a bluff as some of them songs are on this album :D
So that would be the justification having him on the album :)
Once more, no - he is not named in the Peace-Album
dani wrote:Plus its a stunning cover and for new fans that may attract them to buy it.
If this is the case maybe they buy the CD because they think that Cassius is singing on it. And if this is not the case, it is a bluff :roll:
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

Well, he did sing in Song of Life, no? Whatever the case, it really isn't such a big deal if you ask me.
LuxVenit
Silver Member

Post by LuxVenit »

Here's hoping that some of these "old" songs are new recordings! I know, I know...I may be foolish in hoping that, and I know it's probably hoping in vain, but I'm going to hope anyway! I don't think "Be Still My Soul" has been done since Angel Voices, has it? Of course the newer ones like "How Shall I Sing That Majesty" and "Adoro Te" could get away with their recent recordings, but a new recording of some of the other ones would be cool. I'd definitely shell out some money for that...

Don't yell at me because of my foolishness, I'm just hoping!!! :)
“My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary.” ― Martin Luther
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

LuxVenit wrote:I don't think "Be Still My Soul" has been done since Angel Voices, has it?
Yes, it appeared on 'Free' (2004) - Songs of Praise also commissioned a video of it shortly afterwards.

There have been some re-recordings of previously released tracks between St Philips Boys Choir and present day Libera, but not as many as you would think considering this spans over 25 years...

Ave Maria, Deep Peace, Do Not Stand..., Glory to thee/Tallis Cannon, Heaven, How Can I Keep from Singing, I Am the Day, I Vow to Thee..., Jerusalem, Lacrymosa, Libera, Orinoco Flow, Panis Angelicus, Salva Me, Sanctus and naturally the Christmas Carols which featured on AV3 and last years Christmas Album were re-recorded with new soloists.

...fewer songs have been re-recorded since they changed to Libera in 1994 and most of these were attributed to the release of their Concert CD/DVD.

Abide with Me, Adoramus, Ave Maria, Do Not Stand..., Far Away, Going Home, I Am the Day, I Vow to thee..., Libera, Prayer, Salva Me, Sanctus, Stay with me...

..so the signs are not great that there will be newly recorded versions of previously released song on this album.

P.S. I notice the amazon uk price as dropped back to £11.99
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

I don't expect re-recordings at all. I think it's another greatest hits CD but only 1 CD instead of a double CD like Eternal was. Hopefully that means people will more easily buy it. I think it's a strategic marketing tool. If you're new to Libera, and want to listen to their music at home, what CD would you get? A single greatest hits CD is perfect. Only downside of that is though, people might not be tempted to buy full albums (old ones I mean) with songs they already own. But they would buy a new album after that.

Talking of new albums, I take this release as a sign that a real new album won't be released in the near future. This looks like EMI's major fall/winter release for Libera.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
LuxVenit
Silver Member

Post by LuxVenit »

Ah well, it's a nice collection of songs anyway. *kicks the ground*
“My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary.” ― Martin Luther
labbie

Post by labbie »

"Song of Life" is scheduled for release by EMI Canada on October 23rd, according to EMI Canada's on-line ShopEMI website.