Do you think Libera should release more live recordings.

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

Do you think Libera / EMI should release concert recordings. If yes, how often?

At least once a year
18%
When there is a big change in the choir. i.e. new soloists
50%
When they have new material
15%
Special events, or concerts of special significance
15%
No
No votes
Undecided
3%

Total votes: 40

paul
Site Admin

Do you think Libera should release more live recordings.

Post by paul »

If you vote on this poll, it would be usefull if you could say a few words to backup your opinion.

Hopefully Libera and EMI will read this and consider, I think it would be intresting to hear what EMI has to say on this subject.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
dani
Diamond Member

Re: Do you think Libera should release more live recordings.

Post by dani »

I have wanted a dvd concert and a live cd to there concerts since about 09.

With the way the Choir changes i do not think releasing a dvd/cd of a live concert every few years would hurt them. Everybody i have spoken to in the last few years has wanted a new dvd of there's and would forgo a new album just to get a dvd concert for that year.
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

To start things of, I have voted yes!
When there is a significant change to the choir.

I don't think live albums should be released on a regular basis, but maybe once every 2 - 3 years, or at least when there is a mjour change to the choir, or when soloists are at there absolute peak.

For example, I would love a live album with Stephan and Ralph performing solo's
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

- Plato
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

paul30003 wrote:To start things of, I have voted yes!
When there is a significant change to the choir.

I don't think live albums should be released on a regular basis, but maybe once every 2 - 3 years, or at least when there is a mjour change to the choir, or when soloists are at there absolute peak.

For example, I would love a live album with Stephan and Ralph performing solo's

Yes!!!

It is such a shame that there is no recording ( for the fans) to relive there Mysterium. The one where Stafan walked down the alter and they was singing to each other as Stefan got closer to the stage.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

It would make the most sense to release a live recording when it captures the magic of that special moment - which is why I voted "When there is a significant change in the choir". For instance, this tour right now to me seems pretty legendary already - you have 28 boys on tour, ranging from 7 to 17 (!) and solos performed at both ends of the 'time scale' (veteran Josh and newbie Eoghan). We're really lucky to have 4 songs from this tour/period in Libera history captured for posterity but there's heaps of gems that are probably lost forever if no one records them.......
dani wrote: It is such a shame that there is no recording ( for the fans) to relive there Mysterium. The one where Stafan walked down the alter and they was singing to each other as Stefan got closer to the stage.
Exactly.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

I think every Libera fan worth their salt would want a new live concert DVD. Now's probably about the right time. Many new faces, new material etc... things have moved on since their debut DVD in 2007.

I wouldn't want it to be too regular, to take away or devalue the special experience of attending a live libera concert in person. Of course their's no substitute for that, but churning out a DVD every year would take the edge off their branding.

So maybe every 4-6 years would be okay.

P.S. Libera could upload a full live concert song maybe every few years on their youtube page. They've only done it so far for 'Bayan Ko' for example.
Last edited by JimmyRiddle on Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

JimmyRiddle wrote:I wouldn't want it to be too regular, to take away or devalue the special experience of attending a live libera concert in person.
I have to agree with you on that Jimmy

Yes! to many live releases would slighly devalue the concert experience. So every few years would be good :)

- Plato
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

JimmyRiddle wrote: P.S. Libera could upload a full live concert song maybe every few years on their youtube page. They've only done it so far for 'Bayan Ko' for example.
Maybe I'm overdoing this as I feel I have said this so many times already... ;) but, I think today there are so many opportunities to distribute live material digitally without having to go through the whole rigmarole of getting an actual physical DVD or CD made. It could be Bandcamp or it could be something on their own turf. I wish I could contribute to setting up something like that, I'm not an expert but... I just think it shouldn't have to be this way - fans aching for live material, moments lost, money not made...
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

The overheads on releasing a live recording could be minimal, I know there would be expense in licensing and marketing, although it would almost certainly market itself through concerts, and fans / such as us or the many other groups that exist on the Internet.

It could be sold on Amazon as a digital download, which would eliminate almost all media production costs

- Plato
liberainchicago

Post by liberainchicago »

A dvd and/or live cd from time to time would be nice. Maybe every 2-3 years.
kay
Silver Member

Post by kay »

For myself I would love to have either (CD or DVD) BUT as always it's cost. I havent voted for that reason. Only the Libera Organisation know how the finances can be managed best. The Holland video was 'tie up' and it's possible another could be arranged BUT again the boys are volunteers not commercial artists, despite what they may seem like. At the end of the day I think I'll be grateful for what I get, and enjoy every minute of the music they produce and release.
I Listen To the Music Of Angels
LuxVenit
Silver Member

Post by LuxVenit »

I'll reply quickly to this right now, as I have an unruly 21-month old trying to destroy my computer. I voted "yes, when there is significant change in the choir." If not an entire CD then perhaps single mp3s or something. I for one, have never heard Flynn Marks sing a solo (that I can recall anyway) and I would have loved to have heard him. Also, someone else mentioned the famous "Mysterium" which I would have loved to have heard as well. Stefan may or may not return to Libera before they record another album, whether or not he's already become famous elsewhere. ;)

Anyway, those are just a couple examples I can think of off the top of my head. This past US tour is a great one too, with the legend's solo (Josh in "Eternal Light") vs. the newbie solo (Eoghan in "Glory to Thee"). What's the chance of anyone who didn't hear THOSE in concert ever hearing them again?
“My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary.” ― Martin Luther
jonathanx

Post by jonathanx »

I envy you. I heard them once and never forgotten about them. I'm looking up everything i could about them and i've been directed to this site. Seems I'll find out everything about them here :) :) :) :) :)
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Hi Jonathan, welcome to the forum :) Maybe you would like to introduce yourself a little more here?
Yep this place is full of info, fans sharing concert reviews, discussions, anything! Have fun :) How did you find us btw?
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

kay wrote:For myself I would love to have either (CD or DVD) BUT as always it's cost. I havent voted for that reason. Only the Libera Organisation know how the finances can be managed best. The Holland video was 'tie up' and it's possible another could be arranged BUT again the boys are volunteers not commercial artists, despite what they may seem like. At the end of the day I think I'll be grateful for what I get, and enjoy every minute of the music they produce and release.

My thoughts exactly, Kay! That's why I voted undecided. :)