The Christmas Album CD (2011)

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Re: The Christmas Album CD

Post by maartendas »

Funny, just yesterday I was listening to songs from New Dawn and Luminosa and it struck me just how full the musical backing is. I was discovering how pleasant it is to focus on the instruments more than on the voices for once. Just listen to Sancte or Sacris Solemnis for instance. So creative, and even though some instruments may come from a 'box' it does not take away from the compelling charm and beauty of it all.
I think these reviews show most of all a British fondness of a century-old tradition and remind us once again that RP's work is still groundbreaking... Plus maybe Christmas repertoire is even more 'sacred' in some people's eyes (and I could include myself in that except that i think from what I heard so far Libera really adds something meaningful to it, maybe more so than another bland traditional disc could bring...)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
psykick

Post by psykick »

FanInPlymouth wrote:
phlibera wrote:Another one of those reviews that want Libera to be like every other choir out there. :lol: :lol:
You're absolutely right; don't these twats get the idea that Libera are meant to sound slightly different to everyone else. If they didn't, they'd just be another choir in an overcrowded market. And they'd be dreary.

How do these idiots get to be critics? (Oh silly me, they can't do it themselves, so they criticise others).
Now now, let's not get too hasty about hostility here.

The critics' point is not that Libera sounds different from other choirs, it is addressing the issue of production of the sound itself. Meaning, this is an issue with sound engineering and reproduction, not with the deviation from conventional sound. As an audiophile myself, I understand that the ability to accurately reproduce what has been recorded is the most essential part of publishing an album. CDs are made to deliver sound, and to accurately manage recorded parts to be integrated into a CD in a balanced fashion is not an easy job. The critic isn't downplaying Libera members; and in a sense, not even Robert Prizeman. The person responsible for the critical reviews that this album has been receiving is the sound engineer.

And I don't think it's right to call others "twats" or "idiots" just because their opinions deviate from the norm. They are doing their job by offering the public what they honestly think about the album. Of course these critics know that Libera is famous; their job is to listen to albums all day long! And yet, instead of writing a good review to satisfy the masses, they are saying something negative about it - and I am sure that the critics have experienced being ridiculed by fans of artists that they portrayed negatively. That certainly can't be an enjoyable experience.

However uneasy the review may seem, in the long run, Libera may be able to adapt to these points made by the critics, and improve upon these points that have been pointed out to them. I said 'may'. Perhaps it truly is Robert Prizeman's intention to let the listeners have a unique experience; who knows. All I am saying is that critical reviews are meant to be constructive, not destructive. Let's not rage on someone who is merely doing one's job, and trying to help Libera in one's own way.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yorkie wrote:Of course us ordinary fans don't really know what goes on down Libera way but we do know a few pieces of the jigsaw puzzle. With regard to the album and the 'over produced' sound (whatever that means) could there be a reason for it other than a deliberate choice by RP?

I get the feeling that these albums are produced on a shoestring. I don't think EMI are hiring huge recording studios, supplying dozens of sound technicians, editors and mixing guys or footing the bill for a live orchestra. I think it was once mentioned that the parts are recorded separately (i.e. the boys are not all together in the same room at the same time singing together and responding to each other). Maybe they use a small (home?) studio, record bits over many different sessions and then have to match them up. That would explain why the sound isn't quite as 'natural' as at a live concert.

One of my gripes about the Christmas CD is the over use of '80's synthesiser sounds and drum machine affects - we've been there and done that, so on that point alone I can agree with the (professional) critics.

They do record in a proper studio as they have tweeted in the past " in the studio" but im assuming a lot of mixing and so forh goes on in Robert P's home studio .

We saw on the SOP special that Josh and Steven seemed to be in a very small room and was recording Heaven ( remix). It didn't scream professional :lol:

We also know that Robert does use a lot of pre-made efforts on the keyboard and will pre-record some of the boys voices and blend it into the sound via keyboard. So these are all short cuts that would clearly give it that synth sound.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote:I was discovering how pleasant it is to focus on the instruments more than on the voices for once. Just listen to Sancte or Sacris Solemnis for instance. So creative, and even though some instruments may come from a 'box' it does not take away from the compelling charm and beauty of it all.
When I posted earlier I was thinking about the three AV albums of the 80's with what I consider to be cheesy synths. I agree that the instrumentation used in the early Libera days was a vastly superior and enhanced the music. Unfortunately, some of the choices for the backing music of the Christmas album are not to my taste.
maartendas wrote:I think these reviews show most of all a British fondness of a century-old tradition and remind us once again that RP's work is still groundbreaking... Plus maybe Christmas repertoire is even more 'sacred' in some people's eyes (and I could include myself in that except that i think from what I heard so far Libera really adds something meaningful to it, maybe more so than another bland traditional disc could bring...)
Don't want to upset you Maarten but the British aren't all that fond of centuries old traditional choir music either - it's very niche. But it is what these middle class reviewers are used to and unfortunately snobbery is the curse of the middle classes.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I was discovering how pleasant it is to focus on the instruments more than on the voices for once. Just listen to Sancte or Sacris Solemnis for instance. So creative, and even though some instruments may come from a 'box' it does not take away from the compelling charm and beauty of it all.

When I posted earlier I was thinking about the three AV albums of the 80's with what I consider to be cheesy synths. I agree that the instrumentation used in the early Libera days was a vastly superior and enhanced the music. Unfortunately, some of the choices for the backing music of the Christmas album are not to my taste.
In a sense it feels like they have taken a step back with this album. Peace was an improvment i felt on the more organic sound but with this is was almost like back to square one on some songs. But its a xmas album so cheese is implied i guess :lol:
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Well despite any negative reviews about the Christmas album, I am enjoying a day of Kings college with a good helping of cheese on top :)

I am so looking forward to Christmas this year and Libera are certainly getting me in the mood, I generally don’t bother with a Christmas tree, but I felt compelled to pop to my local poundsaver and buy myself a cheesy fibre optic tree and sit by it having a few of Scotland’s finest.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
labbie

Post by labbie »

I was out at my local mall this afternoon, and noticed one copy of the regular version of the Christmas CD in the HMV store. In previous weeks, there were none at all. I don't expect that there will be too many for sale here. This may have been the only one. It was in the "Libera" section of the classical CDs. There were none amongst the other featured Christmas CDs. Still, it is there if someone wishes to buy it.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote:
maartendas wrote:I think these reviews show most of all a British fondness of a century-old tradition and remind us once again that RP's work is still groundbreaking... Plus maybe Christmas repertoire is even more 'sacred' in some people's eyes (and I could include myself in that except that i think from what I heard so far Libera really adds something meaningful to it, maybe more so than another bland traditional disc could bring...)
Don't want to upset you Maarten but the British aren't all that fond of centuries old traditional choir music either - it's very niche. But it is what these middle class reviewers are used to and unfortunately snobbery is the curse of the middle classes.
Thanks Yorkie, I deliberately phrased it like that so someone could tell me if my assumption was right or wrong ;)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
FanInPlymouth

Post by FanInPlymouth »

The critics swooped on Russell Watson a couple of years after he started having major success. Likewise Paul Potts when he hit the big-time; one critic from a national newspaper describing his singing as "ugly".
As Yorky so eloquently put it:
Yorkie wrote:But it is what these middle class reviewers are used to and unfortunately snobbery is the curse of the middle classes.
kay
Silver Member

Post by kay »

I havent read the critique of the Album, but we shoudl always remember this is how these folk make their living. To me it seems a shabby way critising boys who sing simply for their own enjoyment. It really is a case of 'those who can (in this case sing) like Libera do, those who can't critise'. Best way to look at it I feel and let those who get their money this way go by to the world they inhabit.
I Listen To the Music Of Angels
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

One of the signed albums from a competition Libera did have ended up on ebay. Always nice that a "real " fan won :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200687913849? ... 1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Makes you wonder why people enter a competition to win something they don't want doesn't it. Oh well, I guess it found a real fan in the end so it isn't all bad.

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yorkie wrote:Makes you wonder why people enter a competition to win something they don't want doesn't it. Oh well, I guess it found a real fan in the end so it isn't all bad.

I am not a " real fan" , i plan to sell it on for £30 :lol:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

dani wrote:
Yorkie wrote:Makes you wonder why people enter a competition to win something they don't want doesn't it. Oh well, I guess it found a real fan in the end so it isn't all bad.

I am not a " real fan" , i plan to sell it on for £30 :lol:
Evil, just evil :twisted:

Mercy & Love
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Libera is enjoying it's highest position in the UK iTunes Clasical Album charts at No.12
Up two places - now inside the top 10...

Also back upto 17th in the Official Classical Album Charts - http://www.theofficialcharts.com/classical-charts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Top 20 in Amazon MP3 downloads
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez