Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Re: The Christmas Album CD

Post by TullyBascombe »

Lumi wrote:
fan_de_LoK wrote:I think this review was not yet reported :
http://www.musicweb-international.com/c ... 886352.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(not a fully positive review...)
"Careful use of devices to manipulate listener emotions" cracked me up... I mean.. What? :lol:
Perhaps something akin to a sonic screwdriver?
Lexi
Silver Member

Post by Lexi »

Libera posted on their web site about how well "Carol of the Bells" and The Christmas Album have done on the charts! :D

http://www.libera.org.uk/news/christmas_album_update

Congratulations for all their hard work! I really love this CD! And "Carol of the Bells" is my favorite song! :D
http://www.mini-angels.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Lexi wrote:Libera posted on their web site about how well "Carol of the Bells" and The Christmas Album have done on the charts! :D

http://www.libera.org.uk/news/christmas_album_update

Congratulations for all their hard work! I really love this CD! And "Carol of the Bells" is my favorite song! :D
A great way to close off the year for them!

A question: can anyone explain what Corpus Christi Carol has to do with Christmas? I looked at the lyrics and they seem to have no connection to Christmas at all. I know it was included by Benjamin Britten in a song cycle he wrote called A Boy Was Born but I can't find any further info on the nature of that song cycle. It seems a rather varied bunch if I search it online. Can anyone enlighten me? ;)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

Maybe it hasn't a connection to christmas like 'Lullabye' which is on the cd, too. :) The same with 'Sing the story' :) By the way, Corpus Christi-lyrics feels 'bloody' to me, hard lyrics (like in a thriller) to sing for such young boys *scary song*
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote:A question: can anyone explain what Corpus Christi Carol has to do with Christmas? I looked at the lyrics and they seem to have no connection to Christmas at all. I know it was included by Benjamin Britten in a song cycle he wrote called A Boy Was Born but I can't find any further info on the nature of that song cycle. It seems a rather varied bunch if I search it online. Can anyone enlighten me? ;)
Tradition Dear boy, tradition.

I agree that the theme is probably more suited to Easter, but religious tastes were a little different way back (the lyrics being over 500 hundred years old). I think it is generally a year round song but Britten's setting and the word 'carol' in its title have now firmly cemented it as a 'Christmas song'. My rule of thumb on this is that if the choir of King's College perform it as part of the 'Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols' on Christmas Eve then it becomes a Christmas song for ever :D
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
LiberaMe

Post by LiberaMe »

Yorkie wrote: Tradition Dear boy, tradition.

I agree that the theme is probably more suited to Easter, but religious tastes were a little different way back (the lyrics being over 500 hundred years old). I think it is generally a year round song but Britten's setting and the word 'carol' in its title have now firmly cemented it as a 'Christmas song'. My rule of thumb on this is that if the choir of King's College perform it as part of the 'Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols' on Christmas Eve then it becomes a Christmas song for ever :D
:shock: I see...
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Sue wrote:Maybe it hasn't a connection to christmas like 'Lullabye' which is on the cd, too. :) The same with 'Sing the story' :) By the way, Corpus Christi-lyrics feels 'bloody' to me, hard lyrics (like in a thriller) to sing for such young boys *scary song*
Does "Lullabye" have a connection to Christmas? To me it's a song about a father's contemplating his relationship with his child.
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

TullyBascombe wrote:
Sue wrote:Maybe it hasn't a connection to christmas like 'Lullabye' which is on the cd, too. :) The same with 'Sing the story' :) By the way, Corpus Christi-lyrics feels 'bloody' to me, hard lyrics (like in a thriller) to sing for such young boys *scary song*
Does "Lullabye" have a connection to Christmas? To me it's a song about a father's contemplating his relationship with his child.
I think Sue was saying that Lullabye doesn't have any connection to Christmas? Sing the Story definitely has, though.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Thanks, Yorkie. I suspected as much but wanted to find out for sure.
And I think you made up a pretty good rule ;)

Lullaybe: indeed, it has nothing to do with Christmas but that had been discussed before. (Mind you, the parent/child & lullaby theme can ofcourse easily be linked to Christmas)
Sing the Story however is all about Christmas.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

Lumi wrote:
TullyBascombe wrote:
I think Sue was saying that Lullabye doesn't have any connection to Christmas?
Right.
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

Possibility to bid the cd at ebay auction (worldwide shipping):
Last edited by viabuona on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: The goal of this forum is to support Libera and not some private sellings. The CD is still available via the official Libera shop.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

A little late but I can't remember if this review was picked up by anyone http://www.hbdirect.com/album_detail.php?pid=2027856 Pretty mixed but some praise in there aswell.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

carina_gino20 wrote: <span title="Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:34 am">12 years ago</span>
plumpuff6 wrote:I just looked for the Christmas album on iTunes, and there's another track I didn't see before! It's called "Gaudete-Canticum Novum" and seems to be a remixed version of the 2008 version from "Eternal"???
I heard it on youtube. Not liking the remix very much as it's just weird (at least for me) to do it to a centuries-old carol. I would have loved to hear their 2008 version live though. :D

If it's from Eternal, is it Liam doing the solo?
Someone mentioned on that it's James Mordaunt doing the solo but me thinks that the voice sounds too rich and mature to be James' voice. Anyone knows the actual soloist for this song?
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

bamboo wrote: <span title="Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:12 pm">4 years ago</span>
carina_gino20 wrote: <span title="Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:34 am">12 years ago</span>
plumpuff6 wrote:I just looked for the Christmas album on iTunes, and there's another track I didn't see before! It's called "Gaudete-Canticum Novum" and seems to be a remixed version of the 2008 version from "Eternal"???
I heard it on youtube. Not liking the remix very much as it's just weird (at least for me) to do it to a centuries-old carol. I would have loved to hear their 2008 version live though. :D

If it's from Eternal, is it Liam doing the solo?
Someone mentioned on that it's James Mordaunt doing the solo but me thinks that the voice sounds too rich and mature to be James' voice. Anyone knows the actual soloist for this song?
It would appear that it's a remix of the "Gaudete" from Eternal and that the soloist is Liam Connery.

http://libera-passion.exprimetoi.net/t1273-la-discographie-libera#26755