Concert@Epsom Playhouse 18/03/2011

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

JimmyRiddle wrote:Rebecca has posted a little epsom review on her blog. http://liberaforever.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope you don't mind me sharing Rebecca, it came up on a libera search. Your excitement really shows through, and not one mention of the J-word, so you couldn't have missed him that much ;)
Very nice review Rebecca ! :D
jjy

Post by jjy »

[quote="dearmadine"]"I think the hardworking Libera boys and staffs will appreciate if you kindly remove this video. All Libera concert program clearly states that recording of the show is prohibited. I understand the sweet temptation but I hope you respect Libera's wish as many others fans do."

This is my comment under the video. From my experiences, I find directly talking to youtube users who posted undesired videos more effective.[/quote]

Oh yes! Your videos featuring Libera boys as dancing elves make more valuable their image.

I guess videos like those are the real trouble for Libera.

Have you ever think that Libera boys (and their parents) are tired to see their faces used in that stupid way???

Have you ever think that could be the motive they don't want people to take photos?

Concerts' video on youtube could be very useful to show Libera's valour to the world!

...and not stupid videos that show dancing elves...

I don't understand your attack to this video... There are so many foolish videos on youtube about Libera made by fans...

That video only showed fantastic boys with wonderful voices during a concert, I don't think that video could be bad for them...

And it could be useful to people who live very far and that haven't ever seen Libera in their life.

Most of people can't go to EVERY concert like many of you.

If Libera staff want to delete that video it is up to them!

but, please, don't be ridiculous!

You all are not interested in safety or privacy of the boys but you all want only to show yourselves as faithful fans to parents and staff that read the forum.

One more thing:

Yorkie posted the whole lyric of the new song: compliments! Your memory is amazing!
So many words!!
I think you recorded the concert....so, please, don't write follishness.
We are all fans and we all would like to hear Libera's voices all day long...don't be hypocritical, boys...

p.s. I'm not dj de Paris.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Rebecca (: wrote:Thanks for posting it here!
Well, on my big huge long review that I might not share my excitement really shows! I think I use a couple hundred exclimation marks, and have a whole paragraph on Josh :lol: It makes me sound like a crazy fan girl though, so I might go back and tone it down some, if I do decide to post it :roll:
No need to do that, it's good to be young and ethusiastic. Just glad Libera turned out to be everything you hoped they were, and more besides.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Just got home safely from London. Surprised by the discussion that has developed concerning the photo rules etc.

What I think about this: I try to accept the fact that opportunities to meet the boys and express my gratitude are limited, close to zero. It helps me to be grateful for what I get and nothing more. It also helps me to keep a separation between the boys (who are, after all, just boys) and their music, which is in my view a gift which they share. It's this gift which I value most of all about Libera and the boys are "merely" sharing this with us (and not just the boys - RP, the musicians, everyone). So there's that - and then there's wanting to meet and talk to the boys who make me happy by sharing their gifts. But that is much less important. A bonus - if it's not there, then I don't miss anything. My Libera experience is complete also without meeting them.

Okay, but then I still get nervous when I suddenly see Stefan, Ralph, Daniel and Ben walk out of the Playhouse in front of me. I don't know what to say, thinking I should, thinking I shouldn't - and in the end I just let it be. Because I don't want to be a part of the "fame culture" that is hovering around the boys. I want to be able to express my gratitude in a pure way. By acknowledging at the same time that they are just boys, we're all human and that's all there is about it. On stage they might be magical - but that's due to what happens on stage, and in rehearsal. Something comes together that is bigger than all of us. They have been blessed with their voices and their training and the creativity of RP and others. So - yes, acknowledge to them how much I appreciate what they do - because their music is becoming so important to me in the last few years - but nothing more. So, I finally decided to take a shot when Daniel was given his peace again, and before he would scoot off, I managed to thank him for his solo in Stay With Me. I told him "you sang to my heart" and he seemed genuinely thankful for that. That was enough for me. Because it was not just his voice that moved me but the way he sang it as well - everything he conveyed, musically, emotionally, visually, one might even say spiritually. And I felt it only right to compliment him on that, in the hope to foster (on an extremely miniature level) that beautiful aspect of his character.

Oh and Paul: don't feel guilty! Ok, *technically* you broke the rules but no way did you do anything wrong. Don't be hard on yourself :)

Anyway.

Back on topic.

First of all, it was great meeting some of the fans from around the world. Nice to put faces to names. Great to see how many different people Libera reaches with their music.

To add some extra/personal comments, in order of setlist.

Jubilate - loved that opening (yes a cappella at first as someone else mentioned also). Quite unexpected. Very solemn and moving - first goosebumps of the evening.

Eternal Light - surprised by the division of solos. I was thinking whether that had to do with Stefans voice. (On that note I really think he was just having a cold or something - he was coughing as was Ralph during songs, and RP, in his e-mail correspondence about my article, mentioned something about worries of cold and flu this time of year. I felt sorry for Stefan and felt that he was really brave, knowing how hard he had to work for his voice to come out as so many of us longed to hear. He got there but not all the time.) --edit: someone mentioned it had to have been his voice breaking because no way would they adapt the set on such short notice because of a cold. If so, I really think it was a combination, as other boys were coughing as well, and it is the time of year.

Always with you - first absolute highlight of the evening. Freddie and Jakob made this song sound really really good. Very good choice of soloists. I also loved how Jakob looked like an apparition the way the lights shone on him, great visual effect. Just perfect - the sound, the lights, the way the boys were standing in a line with Freddie alone up stage and Jakob towering alone in the back - everything was just right.

Lament - amazing that they included this!! And just the gesture of all of them - except nine (?) - putting up their hoods brought tears to my eyes. Everytime Libera goes all the way in expressing their church roots it's becoming the most moving for me. Loved everything about this, also the dark and the blue lights. Just amazing.

Gloria - nice and interesting string arrangement bridging Mysterium to Gloria, with the boys taking over in full swing. Worked really well, and it was one of those moments where I felt Libera is getting to a higher standard yet again in terms of musical achievement.

The Fountain - well, the moment I had been waiting for - hearing this song live with Ralph on solo. I think I must have nearly fallen off my chair, because I was leaning forward so far to not miss anything :D Ralph didn't get those high notes of "again" the first time and coughed right after, but the second time he was totally there again.
I have to say it was really his night tonight. Even though other soloists like Freddie, Jakob but also Mini-James and Daniel were in better shape voice-wise (imho), he truly WAS the main soloist and carried the difficult parts bravely, and without any nerves. A strong leader of the group with a very distinct personal charm. It's boys like him in front that provide basis enough to carry the group forward, which I really think - and hope - we will see in the near future. Hopefully the financial resources for that will be there as well but that's something for a different thread...
Oh, one more thing - the high notes by Kavana actually blew me away in this song! Especially considering in his speech he showed to have quite a deep voice - but also there I thought I detected evidence of a cold...?

Stay with me - er... see above, my comment on talking to Daniel 8) I think in hindsight the song that moved me the most. The way Daniel delivered his solo touched me deep in my heart. He sang it with such joy and conviction. May he never lose that.

Ave verum - Carlos' solo parts were very solemn, and that moved me. He came across as very careful and convinced of what he was communicating. Impressive. And as Liam announced the lower voices got an important role in the end - nice to see the older boys being given the chance to sing as the front part of the group, they looked really proud and happy :) Unfortunately their deeper sound was somewhat lost in the mix where I sat (row J).

Love and Mercy - adorable :) Mini-James and Freddie can really make this song theirs. Loved the full harmonies best. Really did justice to the genius of the composition. Once again proof of the amazing standard Libera has to offer - something fans might take for granted but which is really special, and once again: I hope we will get to see that expand in time to come. Hopefully coinciding with the emergence of a larger fanbase (Europe? ;) :))

Going Home - the last absolute highlight for me (after Always with you, Lament and Stay with me). Mini-James sounded like Michael H in his Far away years to me. And Daniel complimented him perfectly. I dared to say right after the show that for me I thought this version beat the Leiden one (which is saying something since that version made a huge impression when I first got to know Libera). But I still say it. I was just blown away by this live version and very very moved.

How shall I sing - wonderful how Jakob took over this song. There is something so gentle and tender about his voice, like he polishes every word like porcelain. Very solemn as well, like Carlos. And yes thankfully Stefan got to really shine in the end of this one. I clapped extra for him the entire night, and well deserved, and great to hear him in full form in this magnificent closer.

The Exsultate encore was nice, but just like Yorkie I was a little bit disappointed we didn't get any more. The crowd was really appreciative (with some really loud people in the back - who were they?) so why not a full song we hadn't heard before? Anyway, I don't want to complain, Exsultate is a nice way of dancing our way from the concert hall to the foyer and onto the sidewalk for some really enthusiastic chats and even being able to say hi and thanks to some of the boys. Er, back on that topic again... No, don't want to discuss that any further ;)

One last thing, as an after-thought of Epsom: soloists. I really really hope Daniel and Jakob get to record some more solos before their voices break (though I don't know how old Jakob is so there might still be plenty of time for him - Daniel is holding out really well but he is getting older). I actually think it's a real pity if we don't get their voices like they sounded in Epsom recorded. As for future releases, Freddie, Mini-James and Kavana should deffo be soloists on the new album (2011??? :) :))
Last edited by maartendas on Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

jjy wrote:
dearmadine wrote:"I think the hardworking Libera boys and staffs will appreciate if you kindly remove this video. All Libera concert program clearly states that recording of the show is prohibited. I understand the sweet temptation but I hope you respect Libera's wish as many others fans do."

This is my comment under the video. From my experiences, I find directly talking to youtube users who posted undesired videos more effective.
Oh yes! Your videos featuring Libera boys as dancing elves make more valuable their image.

I guess videos like those are the real trouble for Libera.

Have you ever think that Libera boys (and their parents) are tired to see their faces used in that stupid way???

Have you ever think that could be the motive they don't want people to take photos?

Concerts' video on youtube could be very useful to show Libera's valour to the world!

...and not stupid videos that show dancing elves...

I don't understand your attack to this video... There are so many foolish videos on youtube about Libera made by fans...

That video only showed fantastic boys with wonderful voices during a concert, I don't think that video could be bad for them...

And it could be useful to people who live very far and that haven't ever seen Libera in their life.

Most of people can't go to EVERY concert like many of you.

If Libera staff want to delete that video it is up to them!

but, please, don't be ridiculous!

You all are not interested in safety or privacy of the boys but you all want only to show yourselves as faithful fans to parents and staff that read the forum.

One more thing:

Yorkie posted the whole lyric of the new song: compliments! Your memory is amazing!
So many words!!
I think you recorded the concert....so, please, don't write follishness.
We are all fans and we all would like to hear Libera's voices all day long...don't be hypocritical, boys...

p.s. I'm not dj de Paris.
Erm.. before you go blasting scorn at Yorkie for his amazing memory.... a) he's from Yorkshire, and b) the full song lyrics are included on the concert program itself.

And although you fail to recognise it...there's a big difference between having a little bit of harmless fun with some pictures of libera boys, and voilating libera's wishes by posting a poor quality video during a concert when the program clearly states that all recording is strictly prohibited.
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Post by Rebecca (: »

Fantastic review, Maarten! It was really nice :)
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Thanks for the review maartendas -

Pretty much universal across all reviews that 'Always with You' was the most impressively song of the night. Although Ralph did amazingly well with all his solos, I would have thought it would be risky to rely on one boy to carry most of the songs. So unless Stefan was just temporary with his unavailability to solo, they may want to train Jacob or someone else up for more solos before their Canada trip.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

dearmadine wrote:The video is private now. Yay.
He's made it public again. I give up, time for bed.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

JimmyRiddle wrote:Thanks for the review maartendas -

Pretty much universal across all reviews that 'Always with You' was the most impressively song of the night. Although Ralph did amazingly well with all his solos, I would have thought it would be risky to rely on one boy to carry most of the songs. So unless Stefan was just temporary with his unavailability to solo, they may want to train Jacob or someone else up for more solos before their Canada trip.
Yes if Ralphs voice broke suddenly then Mr Prizeman would be in trouble . A few people behind me felt Ralph was already at his peak at the break so it will be interesting to see what happens within the next few months.
jjy

Post by jjy »

[quote="JimmyRiddle"]
Erm.. before you go blasting scorn at Yorkie for his amazing memory.... a) he's from Yorkshire, and b) the full song lyrics are included on the concert program itself.

And although you fail to recognise it...there's a big difference between having a little bit of harmless fun with some pictures of libera boys, and voilating libera's wishes by posting a poor quality video during a concert when the program clearly states that all recording is strictly prohibited.[/quote]

Ok, I'm sorry about the lyric...

I wanted only to say that it's unjust to attack a person who posted a video only to share his experience with other people and to ignore that the problem is another.

The big problem about Libera is that too many people talk about only hairstyle (and moustache) of the boys, about their clothes and about their preferences... making stupid videos.
I think libera is another thing.

The problem is that many people see Libera as a boyband.
Is not the video that shows the concert the trouble...

why did you attack that video and ignore other ones?
I can't take hipocrisy any more.

I'm sorry, I can't explain my opinion very well due to the english...
Last edited by jjy on Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Wonderful review martendas ! :D

Regarding the comment by jjy-
P.s. Yorkie bought a program of course ...
P.s.s. And yes, we are writing here hundreds of posts because of the ''show off'' ... some of us for several years(ironic). Honestly speaking- this IS passion for their unique music and performance 8)
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

jjy wrote:
1) I wanted only to say that it's unjust to attack a person who posted a video only to share his experience with other people and to ignore that the problem is another

2) The big problem about Libera is that too many people talk about only hairstyle (and moustache) of the boys, about their clothes and about their preferences... making stupid videos.
I think libera is another thing.

3)why did you attack that video and ignore other ones?
I can't take hipocrisy any more.

I'm sorry, I can't explain my opinion very well due to the english...

1) It is in breech of the copyright law.

2) yes we have been guilty of talking about the boys hair but its normally in good fun and it keeps the forum going when nothing else is going on with the boys. You clearly lurk on here.

3) It is not Hypocrisy as its like comparing Apples and Oranges.

It will be interesting to see if this person uploads anymore of the concert. Im starting to think they could not of recorded 90% of it as surely they would of got caught. So hopefully this will be all that is uploaded. And it will be forgotten about by Tuesday.

ETA

Funny how you know what you talk about on here but only have 2 posts. So i am thinking its somebody we all know but you have signed up under a different user name.
Because Ed Days hair has not been mentioned in over a hair and i mentioned Kavana's moustache in Jan so thats a massive time frame which is why its got to be somebody we know.
Last edited by dani on Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
jjy

Post by jjy »

[quote="dani"] 1) It is in breech of the copyright law.
[/quote]

oh, yes! So, when I have a video in breech of copyright law I can set up a new page on youtube and upload it in anonymous way like this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheUntrammelledOne" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know who posted this: A hypocrite person...
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

jjy wrote:
dani wrote: 1) It is in breech of the copyright law.
oh, yes! So, when I have a video in breech of copyright law I can set up a new page on youtube and upload it in anonymous way like this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheUntrammelledOne" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know who posted this: A hypocrite person...

Yes you can do that. And it would bring a lot less attention to the person who uploaded tonights video. But then they want fame by proxy. So this is all attention seeking.

And are you implying i have uploaded that video?. i dont even have a video camera so if you are then you are barking up the wrong tree.

And this is not breech of copyright. EMI does not own that video you linked to me. Whereas i think you will find EMI own the music on that video uploaded hence copyright law comes into play. Then throw in the fact it was illigal to record the concert.
jjy

Post by jjy »

[quote="dani"] Yes you can do that. And it would bring a lot less attention to the person who uploaded tonights video. But then they want fame by proxy. So this is all attention seeking.

And are you implying i have uploaded that video?. i dont even have a video camera so if you are then you are barking up the wrong tree.

And this is not breech of copyright. EMI does not own that video you linked to me. Whereas i think you will find EMI own the music on that video uploaded hence copyright law comes into play. Then throw in the fact it was illigal to record the concert.[/quote]

No, but the video violates the privacy.

I'm not implying you (dani).
I'm just saying that you (some members of the forum) want only to seem very good people because you know parents, staff and libera boys read the forum; but, when you have "illegal" videos, you set up anonymous pages to put the videos.
For me this is hypocrisy.
So, if a person put video on internet, please don't kill him.
is it clear now?

Parents, boys and staff are not stupid... if they want to erase a video they can do it.