East Asia Tour - April 2010

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

phlibera wrote:I believe Prizeman doesn't have much of a choice. Tom is out. Josh, Liam, Ed, Sam L. will be leaving the touring group soon. And then Ben also will be leaving soon. Between them that's 6 new members needed in the touring group.

With all these new soloists, it's interesting that this list of attending Libera performers were exactly the same as 6 months ago in the Philippines with the exception of Tom Cully who is not attending, and the new members, Luke and Cassius who are attending.

So we have pretty much the same composition, but with different soloists it's interesting how in a way it would be a different concert.
I think I didn't make my thinking clear from the previous post. What I was more interested in was not so much that there are new soloists, but there are many soloists in this concert. I don't really remember how many soloed in past year concerts, but I was always under the impression that the main bulk was concentrated on Tom Cully, Josh, Ed, Liam, and miniBen at least before 2009. And most of the songs have duets coming from that same lineup. This time around, it seems to be more evenly spread out.
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall

phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

carina_gino20 wrote:I think I didn't make my thinking clear from the previous post. What I was more interested in was not so much that there are new soloists, but there are many soloists in this concert. I don't really remember how many soloed in past year concerts, but I was always under the impression that the main bulk was concentrated on Tom Cully, Josh, Ed, Liam, and miniBen at least before 2009. And most of the songs have duets coming from that same lineup. This time around, it seems to be more evenly spread out.
This is clearly an exploration on Mr. Prizeman's part. A lot of hard work must have been done in order to achieve this lineup of many and new concert soloists. With each boy's different school schedule it's pretty hard to allocate time to focus on individual soloists in practices, not to mention the group practices. So it's pretty hard to blame him to rely on a few tried and tested soloists in the past concerts. It's always much easier and practical to just concentrate on a couple of soloists or so. But with the "Air" soloists leaving treble country in quick succession, it has been imperative for Prizeman to do this now.
bar
Silver Member

Post by bar »

carina_gino20 wrote:
phlibera wrote:I believe Prizeman doesn't have much of a choice. Tom is out. Josh, Liam, Ed, Sam L. will be leaving the touring group soon. And then Ben also will be leaving soon. Between them that's 6 new members needed in the touring group.

With all these new soloists, it's interesting that this list of attending Libera performers were exactly the same as 6 months ago in the Philippines with the exception of Tom Cully who is not attending, and the new members, Luke and Cassius who are attending.

So we have pretty much the same composition, but with different soloists it's interesting how in a way it would be a different concert.
I think I didn't make my thinking clear from the previous post. What I was more interested in was not so much that there are new soloists, but there are many soloists in this concert. I don't really remember how many soloed in past year concerts, but I was always under the impression that the main bulk was concentrated on Tom Cully, Josh, Ed, Liam, and miniBen at least before 2009. And most of the songs have duets coming from that same lineup. This time around, it seems to be more evenly spread out.

Well, doesn't RP have a tendency to spread out the solos during "transition periods"? It would make sense, since from just looking at the soloists right now, none seem experienced enough to "carry" an entire concert (much like Tom Cully did in the past).

I anticipate this will be true until RP finds a new, solid, lead chorister. Mini-Ben is in such an awkward position right now I think, because he was most likely to take over the lead chorister position after Tom's voice broke, yet he's already too old to shoulder the entire mantle of "lead chorister".

I do think this is also the case for Daniel F. Daniel is too old to become principal soloist at this point. It wouldn't be wise to give him the position, and then have his voice break a few months later. It's more practical to select a new head chorister from the younger group.

Does that make sense? Tom was only 12 when he was given that position, so it would make sense if Ben is a little too late to take the position now. Moreover, Mini-Ben's voice is not versatile enough to be given that many solos. He excels at songs which require precision in terms of note delivery, but he lacks the control that a lead chorister requires.

My biggest bet right now is on Stefan Leadbeater. I definitely see him being the next lead chorister. He's at just the right age (his voice is just about to peak), and his voice is solid with good control, along with just enough versatility to be given the lion's share of solos.

I really dislike it when people call Stefan "the next Tom Cully", but I have to somewhat agree here, albeit for different reasons. I see Stefan taking on Tom's role in the choir. He's certainly in the perfect position to do so.

A lot of the time I think, the distinction of head chorister is a combination of ability and timing. Talented boys who step into the limelight at awkward periods (ie. Mini-Ben) may be passed over in favor of younger boys who will have time to grow into the role. The selection of head chorister is certainly an investment, and RP does seem to pick them at about age 12.
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

I actually agree. I'm thinking RP is trying to ease into the transition and I'm wondering how much of it is influenced by the effect of Tom's move to the back row. Because it seemed at that time that only a few of the miniboys had had past solo concert experience.

I'd also agree that if anyone's gonna have a chance of being sort of the 'lead' like Tom was, it would be Stefan. I would've loved to hear more of the others, but some are now too old...unless Ben C shares his secret with them.

I am wondering, really, if this is going to set a trend for future concerts, or if RP will then have a somewhat 'regular rotation' once this major transition settles down (I understand that in a choir, there is always transition but last year and this year, you basically have the whole frontline changed except for miniBen).

xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Yayoi thanks for sharing with us your experience, the song list and soloists! Seems really awesome, wish I could hear Love and Mercy by Mini James and Freddie! Seems like two of their voices compliments each others so well since this is their second time on a solo together, the other being "Prayer".

And thanks to dearmadine as well for the wonderful updates!
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Once bitten, twice shy as they say. I think RP learned to his cost that investing all the solo's in a few boys can cause havoc when nature takes its course - especially when those few boys are all around the same age.

I also think that it is good to spread it around as well - if the lads are up to it and they want it then I would rather every one of them got the chance rather than for them to miss out and resent it (and leave the group as may have happened in the past).

Like dani, reading all these reports is making me itch for Arundel in May.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

You can stop us taking pictures/video's inside the venue, but you ain't going to stop us when we're outside (say the Japanese fans)....

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Courtesy of youtube user 1127skittles
alicealc

Post by alicealc »

JimmyRiddle wrote:You can stop us taking pictures/video's inside the venue, but you ain't going to stop us when we're outside (say the Japanese fans)....

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Courtesy of youtube user 1127skittles
:) thx for sharing, Jimmy! :)
irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

did anyone else besides me find it hilarious that carlos couldn't open the bus door so he looks to josh who just simply pushes it without much issue?
Deshaun(day-shawn!)

"Music is my Refuge. I can just crawl in between the spaces of the notes and curl my back to the loneliness."- Maya Angelou
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Thanks JimmyRiddle. :-) Just by waving like that James T. and Jakob gained a lot of fans.
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

[youtube][/youtube]

xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Haha. Love all the videos taken by fans! Thanks! :D
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Yorkie wrote:
libera36 wrote:
2. Hair :lol: I love Liam's and Ralph's haircuts, they are adorable! I wouldn't be surprised though if the state of Josh's hair is a regular topic of conversation in his house... :wink:
Bloody hippies - look like girls if you ask me. No boy should have hair that covers his ears in my book. Nice short back and sides is what those boys need. I think I might send them some clippers so Mrs G can sort them out on the tour.
:lol: Just remembered this - obviously Mrs G got the clippers I sent her :D

Mercy & Love
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

Yorkie wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
libera36 wrote:
2. Hair :lol: I love Liam's and Ralph's haircuts, they are adorable! I wouldn't be surprised though if the state of Josh's hair is a regular topic of conversation in his house... :wink:
Bloody hippies - look like girls if you ask me. No boy should have hair that covers his ears in my book. Nice short back and sides is what those boys need. I think I might send them some clippers so Mrs G can sort them out on the tour.
If I ever can get some of my high school pictures scanned, I will see they get posted. My hair was longer than Kavana's is right now. Almost shoulder length. I went 3 years without a hair cut when a teenager. Only got it cut for my graduation picture and then only short enough that my ear lobes were showing.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TEB wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
If I ever can get some of my high school pictures scanned, I will see they get posted. My hair was longer than Kavana's is right now. Almost shoulder length. I went 3 years without a hair cut when a teenager. Only got it cut for my graduation picture and then only short enough that my ear lobes were showing.
Any son of mine would be tied to the chair while I cut his hair with blunt scissors :shock: (actually I think I might use one of those razor combs you see advertised in the magazines of Sunday papers - they hurt like hell) :twisted:

Mercy & Love