Live at Arundel - The concert in May 2009

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Song you'd like most to hear at Arundel?

Locus iste
5%
Adoramus
No votes
Love and Mercy
No votes
Always With You
14%
Libera
No votes
Salva Me
No votes
You Were There
19%
How Can I Keep From Singing?
33%
...something else (indicate in reply)
29%

Total votes: 21

libera36

Post by libera36 »

That's why I thought they were still standing around after the concert :D I saw the video before it was taken down, and I think they did the same thing at Arundel in 2007. They didn't have a meet and greet, but they stood around for photo time after the concert!
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

libera36 wrote:That's why I thought they were still standing around after the concert :D I saw the video before it was taken down, and I think they did the same thing at Arundel in 2007. They didn't have a meet and greet, but they stood around for photo time after the concert!
I should think that sort of thing would be absolutely kosher--as long as the photographer wasn't turning around and selling the pictures for profit...
Lady Lolly

Post by Lady Lolly »

Exactly, that's what I dont understand.. and of all the videos that are out there? Why these ones?
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Lady Lolly wrote:Exactly, that's what I dont understand.. and of all the videos that are out there? Why these ones?
The videos, I can see, might be different: videos involve music, which is definitely copyrighted...in my uni music programme, we weren't allowed to record musical performances because works were under copyright. Now I can see where they would be leery of someone setting up a camera system and recording a concert, since people who can listen to whatever-it-is online have probably a 50/50 chance at best of buying an actual CD or digital copy of the same song...

...but on the other hand, it builds the fanbase: how many of us came to Libera primarily through YouTube? My guess is, a vast majority of the membership (I'm an old codger ;) Libera didn't have a website, still less a YT account, when I came to them :D ).

They might be concerned that the videos are reaching excessive numbers, or it might just be a shift in "official policy."

In any case, I understand it's a fine line: people want to support the group--no one's putting out videos simply to screw Libera (or EMI--BLAH!) over...at the same time, though, it may have a real financial impact. I've noted their relatively recent interest in soliciting donations--perfectly legitimate, but also a new trend. I wonder if they're hurting financially in this global economic malaise...
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Well, if they didn't want their music on YouTube, (besides on their account) there are about a million other videos they could have requested be taken down... Unless they are only going to request videos put up from now on be taken down...
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

libera36 wrote:Well, if they didn't want their music on YouTube, (besides on their account) there are about a million other videos they could have requested be taken down... Unless they are only going to request videos put up from now on be taken down...
That's true...I understand the confusion; if it concerns enough folks, we should consider an email to the people in charge over there, asking them to clarify.
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Yeah... Until now though, they've been quite reasonable about whats allowed and whats not. So maybe they are just changing their policies and we should give them some time to get them straightened out.
Lady Lolly

Post by Lady Lolly »

I can most certainly understand no video during concerts.. also one can think that recording lights and other things maybe distracting to the boys besides for obvious facts of copyright and other things...

But thats what puzzels me.. these videos that were asked to be taken down contained none of that...

But i agree, youtube is a big part of liberas fan life!! And I love those interviews before and after concerts so we can see the boys personalities a little bit more... To me.. what makes Libera... Libera.. is... The music... ( which can stand alone on its own ) but.. the boys, and thier personalities, all of this comes together to make libera as a whole..

After this, to be honest i'm afraid how many we will see that will come down in the next few weeks or so.. :(
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Lady Lolly wrote:After this, to be honest i'm afraid how many we will see that will come down in the next few weeks or so.. :(
Oh I don't know about that--if there's one thing fans are good at, it's completely ignoring these kinds of requests ;) again, without any malice, but simply because there's no way to take them all down...

If/when a second DVD comes out, that would definitely be badly affected by the presence of DVD rips on YouTube...the Leiden DVD may have been impacted somewhat by the presence of relatively HQ videos...

It's just a really, really fine line to walk: there's not an easy answer, and in any case, I think the management over there understand that a degree of YouTubeage is probably to be expected and tolerated...it's possible they may have decided recently, though, that the amount was reaching excessively high levels...
Lady Lolly

Post by Lady Lolly »

That is very possible... Im hoping they get the little hint that we love these videos haha...

There very well could be a new policy, they will get things situated... I wonder how they were contacted? Through youtube?
RiseInGlory

Post by RiseInGlory »

I don't think that Libera was referring to the videos taking before the concert or at the photoshoot. They were referring to the sound recordings of May the Road Rise Up and Sakura at the concert itself.

"Hallo. Thank you for your wonderful support of Libera. But please may we ask you not to post recordings and videos of our concerts like Arundel or at churches. The programme sheet specially asks that no recordings are taken!
We are rather upset that you do not help us by understanding this request.Like most musical performers, it is not legal to publish recordings of concerts. But to us specially it makes it so difficult if we know that people are secretly taking recordings, We do not perform the concerts for recording and web. We perform for the live audience at that one church or hall.If you are truly our supporter I hope you will understand this and remove the recordings and videos. Thank you from Libera."

Moreover, Libera was probably not referring to the videos of the photoshoot, because that's what the photoshoot was for. So I think the user took everything down just to be on the safe side.

To be honest, this is an issue of respect. The program is just an A4 sheet of paper, and on the very cover of it, in bold, it says that recordings are not allowed. It just seems disrespectful to go on and do exactly what the program tells you not to do, copyright law aside. No wonder they're upset -- if I set up a performance and beforehand I explicitly said, guys, please don't take any recordings of this and put it up on YouTube, for whatever reason (legal, personal or otherwise), and one of you went ahead and did it, I would be pretty annoyed too.

I also don't think that this is a change in policy. Recordings of concerts themselves have never been allowed before, as far as I can tell. Nor do I see Libera asking people to take more YouTube videos down; as a lot of people here have said, probably 90% or something of Libera's fans discovered Libera through YouTube. I'm sure Libera is aware of this. And Libera itself has been putting up videos to take advantage of that fact so why would they ask people to take videos down?
Last edited by RiseInGlory on Tue May 12, 2009 1:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

carina_gino20 wrote: Libera 36, if you hop over to this page: http://pagesperso-orange.fr/libera-drea ... /news.html, you'll see a message from Libera asking them not to post videos or recordings of performances in halls and concerts.
I don't want to make this any worse than it already is, but...does anyone else find that message a bit strange? It doesn't somehow feel genuine--it's a little snippy for what we usually expect from Libera, and the whole "If you were really our fan" phrase was, frankly, really cheap...

No notice along those lines has appeared via any of the usual sites (Facebook, YT, MySpace, or Libera.org.uk).

Has someone emailed the admin for the French site and asked them to confirm its authenticity?...after reading it a fifth time, I'm more sceptical than ever.
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Ahhh... good point, kjackson. I'd say until they put a posting on their MySpace and Facebook, as they have when in relation to other issues like the protection of the boys, we should consider this "unconfirmed information".
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

I just scratched this off via email...if it's real, so be it--we'll have to live with that (as RiseInGlory puts it very well). If it's not, someone's been causing a great deal of mischief. Will post a reply to this thread if/when I get it (it's 2.00 in the morning BST right now).
Dear friends:
I am a participant in an online community devoted to your work. We recently encountered a message from you at a French fan site and, since it has not yet appeared on any of the official Libera accounts elsewhere, wanted to verify its authenticity:

"Hallo. Thank you for your wonderful support of Libera. But please may we ask you not to post recordings and videos of our concerts like Arundel or at churches. The programme sheet specially asks that no recordings are taken!
We are rather upset that you do not help us by understanding this request.Like most musical performers, it is not legal to publish recordings of concerts. But to us specially it makes it so difficult if we know that people are secretly taking recordings, We do not perform the concerts for recording and web. We perform for the live audience at that one church or hall.If you are truly our supporter I hope you will understand this and remove the recordings and videos. Thank you from Libera."

Your clarification in this matter will be much appreciated--we are looking forward to the concerts in Ireland!

Kelsie and the Family at Libera-Dreams.com
Lady Lolly

Post by Lady Lolly »

Ya know what Kelsie.. i'm glad you said that... I emailed Libera36 on youtube, about the exact same thing... I didn't want to say it on the forum and get something started... but it does sound a little fishy..

"if you truely are our supporter"... why would one question? If someone traveled to Arundel near or far.. i'm sure they are a fan. Or at least becomming one.. No offense to Libera officals but.. i wondered about it..

Something like this should have sufficed I would think... "something as tactfull as saying....

"We really appreciate your support for Libera, but i'm afrad that we may not allow videos or audio taken at our concerts, we have added that to our fliers. We would appreciate it if you kindly removed the videos as soon as possible... Thank you for your understanding..

Although I love everyone in Libera, i'm not saying they are rude or worded it wrong... i'm just saying.. seems a little "fishy" LOL