Are you ready to go to the Ireland? (July 2009)

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

fan_de_LoK wrote:

I'm sure the firsts 2010 concerts will give us a lot of changes, many departs, new soloists, some alternative songs.... RP and the boys will surely work hard this winter and spring ! :wink:

I am going to be so gutted. By the looks of it Michael V , Zac and Tom have left. By Oct and the next tour Josh and Liam on back row. So by next year the band i adored will be totally and uttly different. I am into no other treble music so this will be a huge shock and speaking to a few other fans that got into because of Josh and Tom i wonder if some people will actually move on as well. Because its this current batch of boys that have made Libera this popular. They are clearly at the height of there popularity and the tours prove this. I just hope the next batch of Libera boys can step up and replace the Michael Horncastle's , Liam Connery and Tom Cully's
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Apparently, the new boy Matthew Rangel-Alvarez has a voice quite similar to Liam's, with those high piercing notes! Can't wait to see more of him :wink:
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

On the 2nd page of Edinburgh topic on the french forum (at the bottom) , I have added two scans.

- Program of the sunday august 9th in Ste Mary cathedral.
Proof that Libera have sung at this mass, despite the non-information on the cathedral internet site.
Two persons of the church have also said us that at the end of the mass, the boys were accessible to parishioners and have answered some questions and have made a few signatures.

I'm wondering why this information wasn't announced on the internet site of Ste Mary....
It was said on the Internet site of St Peter, Belfast, and nothing went wrong there...
Strange that they have been afraid to mention the presence of Libera at the mass...

- Second scan : the Edinburgh concert program (not sold 2£ like in Belfast. It was gived freely at the entrance)
Nothing new or unknown to see....
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Libera have performed at Mass in previous years without publicizing their participation. It's not unusual especially during their Choir Holidays, for them to adopt this tactic. What made Belfast Mass different to Edinburgh Mass, and why one was publicised and the other wasn't? I have no clue.
libera36

Post by libera36 »

I wonder where they are going for their choir holiday this year, or if that is part of the tour??
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

libera36 wrote:I wonder where they are going for their choir holiday this year, or if that is part of the tour??

If what I was told was correct, the Celtic tour was their choir holiday this year. They were staying somewhere in Ireland where they could be by themselves for a bit. Now when they went to Scotland, I am not sure if they had similar arrangments or if they just did a hotel.

Quote from Dani
"I am going to be so gutted. By the looks of it Michael V , Zac and Tom have left. By Oct and the next tour Josh and Liam on back row. So by next year the band i adored will be totally and uttly different. I am into no other treble music so this will be a huge shock and speaking to a few other fans that got into because of Josh and Tom i wonder if some people will actually move on as well. Because its this current batch of boys that have made Libera this popular. They are clearly at the height of there popularity and the tours prove this. I just hope the next batch of Libera boys can step up and replace the Michael Horncastle's , Liam Connery and Tom Cully's"

Dani, I do understand how you feel but this has happend to the group before. Quite a few were upset some years ago when Liam O'Kane left. Not to mention Steven G and Big Ben. Especially Big Ben. He had a very large fan base.
I will be sad when the older boys move on. I was sad when Joe left. I was sad when Michael had to move to the back row.
Josh is probably going to be around for a few more years even after his voice breaks completely. He has been training to work the sound equipment plus his ability with the caring for the younger ones will keep him around. I imagine the same for most of the others as well.
I would encourage you and all the others not to stop listening to Libera because the front men change. There is a great new crew on the way up and I, for one, plan to be around to encourage them.
And don't worry about the older boys. If they want to keep singing, there is the regular choir at Saint P's plus it sure wouldn't hurt for them to continue to attend concerts at chaperons. They need more chaperons than Mrs. G.
Take care, be well and stick around. There is alot of new talent on the way to enjoy.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

JayEm wrote:Also, with regards to the autumn tour; don't expect to see Tom Cully there and I think we have seen his last performance live in a white robe. He deserved a stand ovation on his own for all he has given to us over the past 5 years and he has my unerring respect and admiration.

Gemma
Regarding Tom--why do you think he will not be on the autumn tour singing in the back row? Did he seem like it was his last concert? If so, that is too bad; it's amazing that he was able to sing with the group as a treble 2002-2009 and we were all blessed to have heard his contribution to Libera. It seems like Liam and Josh are getting ready to sing in the back row soon too, so adding them to the lineup would increase the low-note singers to 4 if JB and Tom both stick around. Is that perhaps a reason? Seems like RP doesn't have more than about 3 boys singing the back row recently.
et laudate Domino in laetitia
et cantate Domino gloria
saecula et saeculorum, Alleluia
cherproperson

Post by cherproperson »

plumpuff6 wrote:
JayEm wrote:Also, with regards to the autumn tour; don't expect to see Tom Cully there and I think we have seen his last performance live in a white robe. He deserved a stand ovation on his own for all he has given to us over the past 5 years and he has my unerring respect and admiration.

Gemma
Regarding Tom--why do you think he will not be on the autumn tour singing in the back row? Did he seem like it was his last concert? If so, that is too bad; it's amazing that he was able to sing with the group as a treble 2002-2009 and we were all blessed to have heard his contribution to Libera. It seems like Liam and Josh are getting ready to sing in the back row soon too, so adding them to the lineup would increase the low-note singers to 4 if JB and Tom both stick around. Is that perhaps a reason? Seems like RP doesn't have more than about 3 boys singing the back row recently.
I would also like to know if there's anything/sign that shows the possibility of Tom's last presence in concert. If it is so, I would be really really upset because I have decided to go to the Autumn Tour in Oct!! I of course go for Libera but seeing Tom singing in live (I just love his singing, no matter how his voice sounds like)would be one of the big reasons as well! I already regret so much for not knowing Libera earlier and not seeing Tom sings his solo in live, I couldn't make the mistake again if I have the chance to see him sing in concert, no matter where he stands.

I remember reading a thread posted by a fan, saying that the boys are never asked to leave even when their voice break. It's probably up to their choice of whether to continue staying in the group and contributing with a different role, or to leave and achieve their new goals in life. If it is so, I really think (and hope) that Tom will continue singing/ staying in Libera for at least the Autumn concert. He seems getting much involved in the backstage set up now, and I don't think RP has set a quota for the no. of lower voice people in a concert ( If i remember correctly, there were actually a group of 5-6 lower voice people singing in the Korea concert in 2005, made up of Big Ben, Steven, Chris Robson and others).Hope RP has not changed his mind on that.... I just hope that I can still see Tom in Oct. Finger crossed on that now~
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Steffi_89 wrote:Hey Yorkie,

thank you very much for this informations. I'm a big fan of libera and I hope I can go to a concert in the future.
I have a question: Who did sing the solo in Sancte?

steffi
Hi Steffi,

I'm desperately trying to remember for you - I was a bit awestruck just being there and I wasn't taking notes. I hope one of the other guys can chip in for you (F_D_LoK where are you?) as I'm not 100% certain but I have a feeling it was shared by three of the guys..........

My memory isn't great but I think Liam & Ed + 1 other. Can anybody help?????
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

JayEm wrote: I thought the sound in Dublin was far better than last night, I also felt that Fiona's violin overpowered certain sections of certain songs which I found irritating but more on the differneces later. I also thought that there was more like 350-400 in the church rather than 500. I would like to go through some of the songs if you will allow me to indulge?

Stay with me - The 'solo' was performed by a trio of Daniel, Ben and Ed with Stephan Leadbetter doing the highnotes. This was unexpected for me as Daniel had done the 'solo' solo :) in Dublin but it worked wonderfully as a trio and I thought it was one of the best versions I have heard.

Sacris Solemnis - Wasn't a patch on the Dublin performance. I was disapponited with this which is a real shame as I really like that song but credit to the boy's they gave there best.

I enjoyed the whole night and the time really flew, it seemed like it was all over in minutes. I would also concur with other comments on Josh and Liam's voices. IMHO this was the last time they will be seen live in the front line. The end of an era. but as one door closes another one opens and with it the opportunity for some of the other members to stake a claim. One immediatly springs to mind; Stephan Leadbetter. Wow he has a super voice and he will replace Liam on Libera (in my opinion) and will join Ed and Ben as a lead soloist for the Autumn tour. Also, with regards to the autumn tour; don't expect to see Tom Cully there and I think we have seen his last performance live in a white robe. He deserved a stand ovation on his own for all he has given to us over the past 5 years and he has my unerring respect and admiration.

Gemma
Hi Gemma,

Wish I could have gotten to Dublin as well, making me very jealous! I'll bow to your opinion on actual attendance; I based mine on a quick calculation on the number of seats per row and a glance over my shoulder which seemed to show a full venue. I'm sure you are right :).

I'm not surprised that Dublin sounded better - if you think about it Dublin was a concert venue (designed for good sound), would have had a first class sound system installed + professional sound technicians & Libera would have had ample time to set the sound up. It can't be easy trying to do the same in different churches with only a couple of hours to get ready.

I do wonder about that violin. It didn't annoy me on the night as much as some of the clips but you are right that it can dominate. The question is why? I have a nagging feeling that it covers flaws in singing the high notes but I hope I'm wrong.......

Stay with me - somebody asked who sang on Sancte and I'm now wondering if I've confused the singers of Sancte with Stay with me - they were next to each other.

Sacris Solemnis - I must admit it doesn't stand out in my memory. What were the differences?

Sadly, I think you are right about the current line up and the possibilities for the autumn tour. No point getting upset by it, it is simply a fact of treble choirs and Libera will continue. I personally don't feel that the depth of singing is as strong now as in big Ben's day but Libera is more famous now than ever before. New voices and characters will emerge and we'll be here in 20 years time talking about how good they were in the last concert.

As Fan_De_LoK wouldn't say : Vive Le Libera!
Last edited by Yorkie on Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
hyphus27

Post by hyphus27 »

Ed singing Sancte with Liam? :o oh man, i'd like to hear that. guh, i wish i could go to a concert already. hear this famous Mysterium everyone's been talking about. XD
i also wonder what Tom sounds like right now, doing the lower parts. it must be kind of weird at first, hearing him, since we've been so used to his high notes this whole time. hahaha.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

hyphus27 wrote:Ed singing Sancte with Liam? :o oh man, i'd like to hear that. guh, i wish i could go to a concert already. hear this famous Mysterium everyone's been talking about. XD
i also wonder what Tom sounds like right now, doing the lower parts. it must be kind of weird at first, hearing him, since we've been so used to his high notes this whole time. hahaha.
A word of caution, I could have confused who sang Sancte with who sang Stay with me - they were next to each other on the bill and I wasn't keeping notes (to be honest the night went so quickly that it is a bit of a blur).

But if the thought of them singing it makes you feel great then who am I to spoil your dreams by 'fessing up to a mistake :oops:

Mercy & Love
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Seems like Mysterium has garnered alot of good comments, I would definitely love to hear Ed sing this song. Did someone mentioned there's an older video of Mysterium sang by Adam? Haven't hear this before, but is it in Latin?
worshipper28
Silver Member

Post by worshipper28 »

I read there was no "meet and greet"and maby the reason was that it by any reaon not was allowed?? Who nows more
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I wonder if choir size might be limited by bus size? When they reach a certain number of members + entourage they may have to shed some in order to admit more simply because there's a limit to the space on a bus. This would also limit the number of boys in the back row. Back row boys would already have enjoyed a number of years on tour - both locally and overseas. When you think about that it would seem fairest to limit the size of the back row so that the next batch of newbies get a chance to enjoy the thrill of performing at concerts in England, Japan, Korea, the US and so on.