Libera Concert in China (2017)

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

bachmahlerfan

Re: Libera Concert in China (2017)

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I'm appreciative of all the concert reports being posted, esp. the latest post from john45. Reading the comments regarding the soloists makes me anxious, only because I don't want their voices to "break" before they have a chance to record more solos. Of the current soloists, my guess is that Alex G's voice may be the next to break, but hopefully his treble voice can hang in there a while longer. I really hope that they can record at least one more major solo by Gabe, especially since his voice has apparently matured significantly since his solo on the Hope album. I'm hopeful that Rocco's treble voice will survive at least another year. I don't want to forget Merlin either. Has his voice changed much in the last year, or does it pretty much sound the same? In regards to the third concert's disruptive audience, I hope that they managed to gain some new fans despite those issues. I'm sure there had to be at least a few Chinese attendees who were less than pleased with the "ambience." Does anybody know if there were any "distinguished" guests at the fourth concert (other than the Libera groupies)? Perhaps the upcoming tour blogs will shed some light on that.
Libera Snow

Post by Libera Snow »

Thank you for reporting,John45!
I am really excited to know how the concerts went well.
I wish I could listen to Oliver's solo.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

There are two new soloists that sing a full song. Not only Oliver but also Ben.
His rendition of Angel is sweet and pleasant and fits perfectly the words. Both deserve to be eagerly awaited ☺
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:53 am">6 years ago</span> There are two new soloists that sing a full song. Not only Oliver but also Ben.
His rendition of Angel is sweet and pleasant and fits perfectly the words. Both deserve to be eagerly awaited ☺
Agree completely. Ben`s angelic voice is perfect for this song.
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

john45 wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:49 am">6 years ago</span>
fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:53 am">6 years ago</span> There are two new soloists that sing a full song. Not only Oliver but also Ben.
Agree completely. Ben`s angelic voice is perfect for this song.
I hope very much to hear both of them in London soon. :)
TimS_TheToolman

Post by TimS_TheToolman »

Ok, I'm stumped. From last years Christmas concert at St. Georges to the 2017 Summer Tour I have met all of the boys on this tour. I would like to think I can identify all of them in any picture. But, in this pic they are squinting into the sun which changes how one looks. Who is the boy between Nathaniel and Laurence? I want to say Oliver W-R. How far off am I?
Attachments
DNNGMUGX0AAcaTQ.jpg large(1).jpg
DNNGMUGX0AAcaTQ.jpg large(1).jpg (147.29 KiB) Viewed 1588 times
DNNGMUGX0AAcaTQ.jpg large(1).jpg
DNNGMUGX0AAcaTQ.jpg large(1).jpg (147.29 KiB) Viewed 1588 times
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

You are perfectly right Tim :)

Nathaniel, Oliver W-R, Laurence and Matthias.
Jay_S
Silver Member

Post by Jay_S »

This week has been a really great week to be a Libera fan. Thank you to all of you who have contributed to this thread and allowed us to enjoy the China tour along with you :D
"with a down derry, derry down down"
TimS_TheToolman

Post by TimS_TheToolman »

fan_de_Lok, thank you for confirming my guess on Oliver.

As long as I'm here, a big thank you to fan_de_Lok and John45 for the wonderful pictures, play by play accounts and concert reviews. And, thanks to all the other fans on Insta and Twitter for all the pics they posted of the China Tour. Makes me long for the next concert/tour I'm able to attend. So, in the meantime, I'll just sit here and quietly cry :cry: in my beer until then. :lol:

Cheers
Jay_S
Silver Member

Post by Jay_S »

TimS_TheToolman wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:52 pm">6 years ago</span> So, in the meantime, I'll just sit here and quietly cry :cry: in my beer until then. :lol:

Cheers
I'm right there with you Tim 😭🍺
"with a down derry, derry down down"
Libera Snow

Post by Libera Snow »

Ben was also his first solo in China!
Sorry, Ben,and congratulation Ben :D
Thank you for the additional correct information,fan_de_LoK.

Thank you to everyone who went to the concert in China,and I appreciate
to share the contents or impressions about the concert and nice photos.

Please safe trip to return your homes.!
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

All good things come to an end – well in this case just a pause I suppose as Libera will be back in concert four weeks from now where I hope they will include “The Moon” and songs by the new soloists. Better get your tickets now if not already done so. Only side seats left but big-screen monitors will be displaying the action.
Last nights final China Concert was a resounding success. Fantastic sold out concert hall; perfect acoustics; well behaved children; very appreciative and responsive audience; Libera on top form. Only programme change was for “The Moon” when a mixed children’s choir (nobody appearing more than about 10) joined them on both sides of the stage for the last verses and Oliver M sang the final words.
No M&G (hosts choice) but Libera kindly signed a few programmes.
IMG_0098.jpg
IMG_0098.jpg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 1500 times
IMG_0098.jpg
IMG_0098.jpg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 1500 times
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

Thank you John & FDL, for your wonderful posts (& tweets)! I'm at home now and just reading those posts gets me goosebumps (I can even take a picture of it to prove if you all want to see :lol: ).
I was there, at the 3 concerts from the 25th to the 27th - thanks to the help of international fans (seriously without their help, I wouldn't have been able to attend even one of them, so... thank you!). My heart was filled with joy and now I have the broadest smile whenever I think about that wonderful experience. My eyes got wet and my nose got red at all the 3 concerts - they were truly touchingly amazing. :cry:

I may write a full review or so (because this is my first time), but it's going to take a while. I'll just leave a few notes here first (some of you may have already mentioned these things though):
  • Victor is the new smile of Libera - just looking at him smiling makes me happy. Especially in 'Joyful joyful', which I bet it's one of his favorites, he looked as if he didn't care about any other things in this world!
  • Taichi and Leo showed their big ambition towards the high notes (especially Leo, from what I've seen). Whenever it came to their high parts, their faces were illuminated by passion.
  • Gabe & small Oliver always had their head inclined to a side.
  • Tadhg walked really fast :lol: , I noticed it as I was sitting close to him on the 25th (& then I noticed it in the next 2 days too).
  • Their live singing skills were fantastic! They really sang in perfect unison throughout most of the time (there were sometimes that a voice was a little bit stand out, but those were just minors). Plus, I found some songs even better than their studio versions.
  • The lower part was spectacular (especially on the 27th where I could hear Isaac's voice pretty clearly) - I would have even given them a separate applause if I'd had the chance.
  • The 3 crowds from the 3 concerts all gave the boys a generous applause when they just started singing some Chinese words of 'The Moon'.
  • The lights for the 25th & 26th were stunning - they really added to the atmospheric mood(s) of the song. For the 27th, there was no additional lighting except for the built-in system of the venue. So the mood on the 27th was kind of different, personally I found it more 'classical'.
  • I enjoyed all songs (including the songs I didn't really like at first). And I've added some more songs into my 'Brought-me-to-tears' category.
  • There were some kids behind me on the 25th too, and they were somewhat annoying, but that was nothing compared to the 26th, on which they even had to announce something like 'Please take care of your own children' on the speakers.
  • There were a lot of giggles on stage on the 26th, perhaps because of the kids in the venue. But as we've all known, Libera boys overcame it with undoubted professionalism.
  • Meeting & hanging out with other fans was totally a pleasant and unforgettable experience!! :roll:
  • Eimear's playing was hypnotizing. And she was really friendly too.

At first, I thought that I was so overwhelmed that I wept so much at the 25th's concert, and that I wouldn't shed as many tears at the next two. I was wrong, as I also cried (perhaps even more?) at the next concerts. So, I've carefully recollected my feelings to come up with a list of the songs that still haven't got me to a crying mood... (yet.)
  • Stay with me: I felt really relaxed at this one, there was no urge to cry.
  • Libera: creepy atmosphere, with the serious faces of the boys...
  • Dies Irae: same as above, but it was close on the 27th, so I guess if I listen to it live once again, I may lose it.
  • Orinoco Flow: too joyful, and I didn't quite like this song (well, I do like to listen to it live now, I blame Libera! 8) )
  • Exsultate: To be honest, I don't dislike this one (I even think it's better than Adoramus, sue me!), but it's too joyful to cry about.
Actually I don't really know as to why I didn't cry over those songs, the reasons are also just my assumptions. :mrgreen:
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Thank you kinda_k00l for you first time concert impressions. I'm happy that you could make it to China :D . Now I have enjoyed reading your post very much.

kinda_k00l wrote: <span title="Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:39 am">6 years ago</span> I was there, at the 3 concerts from the 25th to the 27th - thanks to the help of international fans (seriously without their help, I wouldn't have been able to attend even one of them, so... thank you!).
Libera fans are really fantastic people, aren't they?

kinda_k00l wrote: <span title="Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:39 am">6 years ago</span> I may write a full review or so (because this is my first time), but it's going to take a while.
Take your time. I wonder how many details of the concerts you were able to remember. Though, you were lucky to attend 3 concerts in a row, which makes that remembering much easier, I think.
I'm looking forward to reading your future reviews.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thank you John and Kinda_K00l for your reviews. I am so happy for you in particular, Kinda_K00l, because this was your first Libera experience and it had such a profound effect on you. The highlights you mention are certainly those that would have stood out to me as well and give us all special snippets of these concerts that we could not attend ourselves. It is also good to hear that they did not have any major technical or sound problems and sang without any issues.