Re: Libera Concert in China (2017)

Post by andmar »

According to Yuki's tweet, the concert on 27 Oct was canceled. :(

https://twitter.com/DearLibera/status/9 ... 2328304642
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

I hope it wasn't due to lack of demand but this actually gives the boys & team a chance for a breather to recharge the batteries. I always thought 5 on the bounce was a bit testy
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Although my opinion may be unpopular: I can't see the cancellation anything else but positive.
Yes, for the concertgoers who were going to attend this very concert only, it is sad. But it is good for Libera, for the boys as they have some time to rest, breathe deep and to just have some fun and experience in China; for the staff and especially for Robert ... never underestimate such a trip for a conductor, no matter the strong help he has - at last, he is the one who has all musical responsibility, and in this case this meant every single day and evening, particularly on a first tour of this importance. He will enjoy the tour for sure. :) But in his position, there remains a good part of work nevertheless.

So, it calms me a bit.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:27 pm">6 years ago</span> Although my opinion may be unpopular: I can't see the cancellation anything else but positive.
Yes, for the concertgoers who were going to attend this very concert only, it is sad. But it is good for Libera, for the boys as they have some time to rest, breathe deep and to just have some fun and experience in China; for the staff and especially for Robert ... never underestimate such a trip for a conductor, no matter the strong help he has - at last, he is the one who has all musical responsibility, and in this case this meant every single day and evening, particularly on a first tour of this importance. He will enjoy the tour for sure. :) But in his position, there remains a good part of work nevertheless.

So, it calms me a bit.
I agree. There has been a discussion about the tight schedule and our concerns here before. I'm glad too, that they all will have at least one day without a performance.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

For what I understood, the cancellation is not related to libera but to some issues at the neighborhood theater planned to host some of the free concerts.

Too bad for us, but somehow it can be good for the boys with more rest before the important concert of the day next, 28th at SHOAC.

So, in consolation I think to attend the same SHOAC venue, the day before libera. Another choir will perform there on the 27th, the French PCSM (Petits Chanteurs de Saint Marc). It was that choir that recorded the songs for the movie 'Les Choristes' if you have heard about it.
For sure, not the same as Libera but it might be still interesting though :wink:
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:31 pm">6 years ago</span> So, in consolation I think to attend the same SHOAC venue, the day before libera. Another choir will perform there on the 27th, the French PCSM (Petits Chanteurs de Saint Marc). It was that choir that recorded the songs for the movie 'Les Choristes' if you have heard about it.
For sure, not the same as Libera but it might be still interesting though :wink:
I've known about the PCSM for a long time, because my mom bought a CD of theirs many years ago which she really enjoyed listening to (along with Libera of course!). I wonder if Libera will have a chance to meet them. It's worth noting that the group has both boys and girls. I noticed on the PCSM's facebook page that Libera's facebook page was "liked" by them.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:15 am">6 years ago</span>
fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:31 pm">6 years ago</span> So, in consolation I think to attend the same SHOAC venue, the day before libera. Another choir will perform there on the 27th, the French PCSM (Petits Chanteurs de Saint Marc). It was that choir that recorded the songs for the movie 'Les Choristes' if you have heard about it.
I've known about the PCSM for a long time, because my mom bought a CD of theirs many years ago which she really enjoyed listening to (along with Libera of course!). I wonder if Libera will have a chance to meet them. It's worth noting that the group has both boys and girls. I noticed on the PCSM's facebook page that Libera's facebook page was "liked" by them.
Another thing worth mentioning about this group for those who don't already know, is that they have sung a few Libera songs in their own concerts. Unfortunately, I don't think their vocal style works very well for most Libera songs.
Victor C

Post by Victor C »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:03 am">6 years ago</span> Another thing worth mentioning about this group for those who don't already know, is that they have sung a few Libera songs in their own concerts. Unfortunately, I don't think their vocal style works very well for most Libera songs.
That's true, they had an attempt on 'You Were There' and a couple of other songs, and it really didn't work. The songs are written/arranged with Libera's vocal structure and techniques in mind, which they don't have.

Also try listening to 'O Sanctissima', 'Panis Angelicus' and 'Ave Maria' (Caccini/Vavilov). These have been done by both choirs and I think they have completely different interpretations!
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

From the tweet sent by libera today, Ciaran is back on tour, it's a nice surprise :)
mmexport1508592689373.jpg
mmexport1508592689373.jpg (195.82 KiB) Viewed 922 times
mmexport1508592689373.jpg (195.82 KiB) Viewed 922 times
I see also Oliver W-R.

There are possibly also Victor and Alexandre, as they were with the group at the R.A.H. just a few weeks ago.

Then, if the USA group is coming in full, they might be 30! It's a large group for going abroad :)
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:11 pm">6 years ago</span> From the tweet sent by libera today, Ciaran is back on tour, it's a nice surprise :)

I see also Oliver W-R.

There are possibly also Victor and Alexandre, as they were with the group at the R.A.H. just a few weeks ago.

Then, if the USA group is coming in full, they might be 30! It's a large group for going abroad :)
I wonder who's sitting to the right of Oliver W-R? Anyways, it's good to see Ciaran there to add some weight to the lower voices. One positive about going to Shanghai is that the start time of their concerts is between 12-12:30 PM London time, making the jet lag a little easier to handle.
Last edited by bachmahlerfan on Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

I see that the 27th October is still displayed on Libera's page, and it's updated saying "Please note new venue": Shanghai Symphony Hall. Previously, it was Shanghai Post and Telecommunications Club Theater.
https://libera.org.uk/event/libera-in-china-4/

Now does that mean the concert will take place, only at a new place?

Or am I just late seeing that? :oops: :lol:
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Yes, they will perfom a concert on the 27th, and in a prestigious venue, but from what we heard it will be a private concert, not open to the public despite the huge number of seats.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

:shock: So no resting day and no public?
Sounds to me like the worst solution.
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:19 pm">6 years ago</span> :shock: So no resting day and no public?
It IS the worst solution, or at least I feel that way. :x

I wonder if we can still attend the French PCSM on the 27th. I would like to try seeing them live also. :?
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

kinda_k00l wrote: <span title="Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:09 am">6 years ago</span>
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:19 pm">6 years ago</span> :shock: So no resting day and no public?
It IS the worst solution, or at least I feel that way. :x

I wonder if we can still attend the French PCSM on the 27th. I would like to try seeing them live also. :?
I understand the concern about such a grueling concert schedule and the disappointment about one concert not being open to the public, but I don't think we should view these developments so negatively. I think this is a great opportunity for Libera, and that the effects of this tour will be far more positive than negative. As far as the private concert is concerned, perhaps there will be some special guests present who will support or promote the group in the future. I trust RP and the Libera staff to not put the boys in a situation where their voices wear out during a tour.