Libera at Songs of Praise 'Big Sing' 2017

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Libera at Songs of Praise 'Big Sing' 2017

Post by fan_de_LoK »

The official twitter account of BBC Songs of Praise announces that libera will be among the artists that will perform this Sunday 10 September at the Royal Albert Hall, London, at the Big Sing 2017 event.

Two tweets:

More information on the R.A.H page:
https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets ... e-big-sing

And on the S.o.P. page:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/article ... e-big-sing
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Re: Libera at Songs of Praise 'Big Sing' 2017

Post by kinda_k00l »

Great news, that means more videos to see!
Maybe it's still just a broadcast specialized for the UK only, but I'm sure we'll get it somehow... :roll:

I wonder how many songs will they sing? And will there be collaborations?
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

kinda_k00l wrote: <span title="Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:18 pm">6 years ago</span> Great news, that means more videos to see!
Maybe it's still just a broadcast specialized for the UK only, but I'm sure we'll get it somehow... :roll:

I wonder how many songs will they sing? And will there be collaborations?
There will be two UK tv shows produced from the event, one to be aired just before Christmas and the other just before the New Year. These things have a habit of making it on to YouTube....
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

If I'm correct the previous libera participation to the S.O.P. 'Big Sing' was in 2013.
They sung 'Silent night' (watch here) and they backed Susan Boyle on 'In the Bleak Midwinter' (watch here), thank you Jimmy :) )
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

kinda_k00l wrote: <span title="Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:18 pm">6 years ago</span> I wonder how many songs will they sing? And will there be collaborations?
FDL will be able us to tell us on Sunday - or should he keep us in suspense?
I predict "Carol of the Bells" and one other. I would like it to be "Still,Still,Still" but they are bit short on the lower voices right now which are an important feature of the Libera arrangement.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Yes, as the show will be Christmas themed, 'Carol of the Bells' is a good candidate.
But on the other hand haven't we heard it a little bit in recent years?
I mean, I hope for something else, more recent, like Dreaming of Home as example, it would be a delight to have it sung in the R.A.H. :)
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Wow, thank you for this information. It is very exciting. :D I look forward to seeing the videos.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Remember that Songs of Praise is a religious program so my bet is that it will be a religiously themed carol. I wonder if they will be singing on their own or as part of an ensemble.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Thanks for the info Patrick, I'm looking forward to seeing what their contribution will be. If they are involved in the Christmas broadcast, a full choir rendition of CotB would be thrilling to watch, but maybe their version is a bit too thrilling for the typical SOP audience. If it's the New Year show, the song options are endless. In any case, I'm hoping they'll sing at least one song on their own.

I'll try to record as I did in 2013.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

TullyBascombe wrote:Remember that Songs of Praise is a religious program so my bet is that it will be a religiously themed carol.
JimmyRiddle wrote:If they are involved in the Christmas broadcast, a full choir rendition of CotB would be thrilling to watch, but maybe their version is a bit too thrilling for the typical SOP audience.
Yes, you are both right, I forgot that the 'Big Sing' is a S.o.P. show at first.
Too bad but I have to admit that 'Dreaming of Home' does not fit the religious requirement.

Nevertheless I want to believe that if they sing a song on their own, it will be a new one, or taken from the last CD 'Hope'.
C.o.t.B. is really nice but is was released 6 years ago on the Christmas Album, since we heard it often.

Let's start to speculate a bit in the wait of the answer on Sunday :)

If we take the 14 songs of the UK version of 'Hope', which songs could fit both criteria of being religious enough for S.o.P. and not too thrilling for the R.A.H. attendance and the TV broadcast ?
01. Salve Regina
02. Dreaming of Home
03. Angele Dei
04. Smile
05. Stabat Mater
06. Benedictus Deus
07. From a Distance
08. Three Ravens
09. Angel
10. Wayfaring Stranger
11. Hymn to Mary
12. San Damiano
13. Venite Adoremus
14. Home

(click here to listen a sample of each track, if needed)

Another criteria would be that the song has to have a current soloist to be performed.
I mean, Benedictus Deus would be fantastic on both stage and TV, but as far as we know the song is unsung since TDL recorded it years ago.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Are they likely to sing one song on their own only?

Angele Dei

It's their own song, has proved very popular, is well practised and fits the religious theme. I hope for this song. (But I'm not at all familiar yet with the SoPs, not to mention Big Sing, so ...)

And as second, if so: From A Distance? To give the people something they know ... and with the hope, harmony and peace theme, it would go into the Christmas direction.
Last edited by filiarheni on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Yes, there is a quite good possibility, based on their previous participation to a 'Big Sing' show :)

See above, in 2013 they sung two songs, 'Still Night" by their own and "In the Bleak Midwinter" as backing for Susan Boyle.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

None of the "Hope" tracks would really fit the SoP special which, despite recent multi-denominational trends, will probably be very much focused on a traditional Anglican Christmas with well known hymns and carols. Patrick: don't forget that you are expected to dress appropriately displaying red and green, tinsel, and to wear a silly hat (reindeer or preferably moose antlers would be acceptable). Have fun.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Oops, while you were posting your answer, I edited mine and added "From A Distance". However, if they are rather supposed to sing real Christmas songs, then maybe we have to look at the "original" Christmas song repertoire?
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

I too would be extremely happy if they sing Angele Dei, it's a wonderful song that would amaze thousands on TV :D

The little down side I see is that this song could be a bit too sharp, too 'libera-ish', not enough 'easy listening', to be served on TV to millions of people.
(just my personal perception of course).