Concert at Ely Cathedral in May 2018

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Concert at Ely Cathedral in May 2018

Post by kinda_k00l »

Hello,
I just visited Libera's official website today and found this under the 'upcoming events box': a concert taking place at Ely Cathedral in May 12, 2018!! :D

Link to its page: https://libera.org.uk/event/ely-united-kingdom-2/
If I'm not mistaken, this will be their 2nd time in this lovely cathedral.

That's it. I'm just excited to bring this news to everyone, as there is almost 0 chance that I can afford to go. For those who want to attend, you have more than 8 months to plan your trip :wink:
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
maartendas
Diamond Member

Re: Concert at Ely Cathedral in May 2018

Post by maartendas »

That is so exciting!! :D
Ofcourse I am planning on going. And here I was thinking the Ely experience would be a one-off (no reason why, just thought so).
Oh my, this is something to look forward to :D
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Ely Cathedral is such a wonderful Libera venue! :!: :D I'd like to attend a concert in Arundel one day, but Ely Cathedral was irresistible. I am just imagining hearing Angele Dei there again!

Let's see if the accomodations won't be as expensive as this year. It was the weekend of Ely Eel Festival, but next year the Festival will take place one week earlier (May 4 - 7, 2018).
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

The Thursday before the concert is Ascension Day. Maybe that makes it easier for some fans, who need more days off from work, to attend the concert.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

That's a wonderful new *_* I really hope I will be able to come, but I am just getting my diploma and I am searching for a job. So I can't guaranty I will be free...

Some of you attended the previous concert ? How was it ? :D
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:36 pm">6 years ago</span> Some of you attended the previous concert ? How was it ? :D
The concert in Ely in 2017 was my very first Libera concert and it will remain unforgettable for me. The cathedral - just breathtaking, one could not think of a better venue for a Libera concert. The town of Ely - just lovely and Cambrigde is quite nearby - definitely worth visiting and if you are a choir music fan a visit on a Sunday during school term time is the most recommended, as you can hear their fabulous choirs live during chapel services.

If you only can, you should definitely go.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

I'd love to ! But how did you travelled between Ely and Cambridge ? Is there easy accessible railway ? Is it easy to find a place for the night ? Are there buses inside the town ?
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:05 pm">6 years ago</span> I'd love to ! But how did you travelled between Ely and Cambridge ? Is there easy accessible railway ? Is it easy to find a place for the night ? Are there buses inside the town ?
Well, I had a flight to Luton and hired a car there. For two persons it was not very much more expensive than traveling around with public transportation. There is a railway station in Ely with direct trains from London and Cambridge, but actually I have no experience there.

There is no problem with accommodation in Ely or in Cambridge (Cambridge seems to be a bit more expensive). Ely is a small town - you can visit it on foot. The same about Cambrigde, unless you want to visit places which are far from the city center.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:05 pm">6 years ago</span> I'd love to ! But how did you travelled between Ely and Cambridge ? Is there easy accessible railway ? Is it easy to find a place for the night ? Are there buses inside the town ?
I traveled all the way from London King's Cross to Ely by train and you stop at Cambridge on the way. Ely itself is quite small so you can pretty much walk everything. Last time I found a great place to stay via Airbnb and there are some other b&b's in Ely you could try. Seeing how far ahead this concert is, finding accommodation shouldn't be a problem :)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
ForrestB

Post by ForrestB »

Looking for some travel accommodation. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. I really don't want to have to stay at a hostel.
Mr W

Post by Mr W »

Whats your budget? Do you have transport?
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

ForrestB wrote: <span title="Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:28 pm">6 years ago</span> Looking for some travel accommodation. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. I really don't want to have to stay at a hostel.
Based on your previous posts about attending your first concert is CA, I'm going to assume that you're from North America (please correct me if I am wrong here) and are travelling a great distance to the UK to attend the concert. Given this, you probably have the means to stay at a relatively moderate accommodation. If that is the case you will most certainly opt for a room that is "en suite" - that's the non-American term for a room with it's own bathroom. You should probably look for this term or the term "private bathroom" as you have commented that you do not want to stay at a hostel which would undoubtedly have shared facilities.

Since you have not stated how long you are staying, what your other travel plans are, or any hints as to your budget I will limit my response to two locations: (1) London and (2) Ely and will stick to a middle of the road budget.

London

As you will be travelling from somewhere in North America you will more than likely pass through London. There are many little hotels available around St Pancras Station in London, many of them are en suite. The reason I recommend staying near St Pancras is that it gives you a central location in London from which you can see the city itself easily, and walking distance to the train that will take you directly to Ely. If you are a first time traveller to the UK this would alleviate any trepidation you may have about accessing transit.

Others here who are more familiar with London than I am may give you far better advice, but I am just giving you what would seem easiest to me if I were travelling there.

To find a suitable hotel at the price point you want in London I would suggest using Hotels.com entering in your city as "London" and the nights that you would want to stay. Then sort the hotels by distance to St Pancras.

If this is all too much then my suggestion would be the Alhambra Hotel. It was the one I would have likely stayed at had my plans to go to this Ely concert materialized. At about $130 (US dollars) per night for a single room with a private bathroom it's extremely reasonable when you consider the central location in London and that a full breakfast is included. There are other options but you may have to research them yourself. If you have the means to afford a better accommodation then the sky is the limit in downtown London, but to me that is a fair mix of price and location for my own budget.

Ely

From my research, and other fans will affirm this, Ely is a tiny town that is exceedingly walkable. However, the accommodation choices are extremely limited, and so you must make haste in reserving an accommodation in Ely as soon as possible. Alternatively, you could travel back to London by train the night of the concert. For reference, the train journey is about 1.5 hours each way.

I suggest you do the same search on Hotels.com as with London, but there are only about 4 hotels in Ely itself (Lamb Hotel, Ely Guest House, Poets House, and The Nyton). Poet's House is well over $200/night so you may wish to avoid that unless you have the means. The rest are low to moderately priced, but to me the best value for your money seems to be The Nyton which has a variety of rooms on offer but has a room for about $100/night en suite.

Others, particular those who have traveled to Ely, may have far better suggestions than I do, but given that I was just about to pull the trigger on this trip and had already done all of the research, perhaps you can find this helpful. It's too bad I will not be joining you in Ely but now that we know you are going, you will owe us a concert review. :D
ForrestB

Post by ForrestB »

Mr W wrote: <span title="Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:04 pm">6 years ago</span> Whats your budget? Do you have transport?
Don't really have a budget since money is really not an issue for me and yes I do have a passport.
ForrestB

Post by ForrestB »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:41 pm">6 years ago</span>

Based on your previous posts about attending your first concert is CA, I'm going to assume that you're from North America (please correct me if I am wrong here) and are travelling a great distance to the UK to attend the concert.

Yes I'm from CA. Looking to plan a 5 to 7 day trip. It's been awhile since I traveled outside the US. Thank you for some of the tips and ideas. Also thinking of going to Ireland for a few days on this trip.
Hopefully someone can join me on my adventure next year.
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:41 pm">6 years ago</span> The rest are low to moderately priced, but to me the best value for your money seems to be The Nyton which has a variety of rooms on offer but has a room for about $100/night en suite.
Thank you for the detailed information. I stayed at The Castle Hotel in Ely last time. It was OK, but nothing special. This time I have just booked my stay at The Nyton. A little bit more expensive than the Castle, but looks way better and the booking still can be cancelled for free.

Wow, I would never think I will visit the UK on regular basis. It's Libera's magic. Isn't it?