London Concert - 1 December 2017

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

andmar
Silver Member

Re: London Concert - 1 December 2017

Post by andmar »

Libera published some nice photos from the concert at the Westminster Cathedral on their Facebook page:

maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Thanks for the reviews everyone!
I was thinking of you all at the concert that night. How wonderful that Gabe sang that very moving solo of Do not stand. I remember him singing the high Salva's in Vallendar, standing at the side of the stage - and now he has really found the spotlights to share his talent in full. So well deserved and he managed to move the crowd, that's such a precious achievement at a young age.
How precious indeed to have Libera in this world!
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Victor C

Post by Victor C »

Well, I'm afraid this has come a bit late, as I had to squeeze writing the review into meeting quite a few deadlines in the last two weeks. 😬😅

I'm not a native English speaker, so also apologies for any grammatical mistakes that I made and didn't notice, lack of fancy vocabulary, or incorrect use of musical terms.

OK, enough of that apologizing, here's my review:
——————————
First of all, there are a few things that can be said for the whole concert (and perhaps other concerts too):
  • The faultless harmony parts
  • The sublime accompaniment
  • The impressive, atmospheric lighting
Then of course some things changed... apart from the venue and the seat numbers

1. Do You Hear What I Hear: It seems that this song has never been on CD since "Angel Voices 3" (1997). A fresh surprise for me and an excellent start of the concert.

2. Sanctus: A signature song, presented very well as always. Compared to the "America" album there was a new lower part (with a different melody) at the "Benedictus in nomine, qui venit in nomine" bit (is there a technical name for this section of the song?), and I really liked this addition.

3. Gaudete: Some slight variations from the CD version here and there, which made it sound a lot richer.

4. Angele Dei: Wow! This sounded and felt totally differently from "Hope"! With the acoustics of the cathedral and the lighting, as well as Rocco's solo, this song holds your breath and gives you goosebumps! (until you get to the "illumina" part) Just like filiarheni said a while ago in the "Hope" review:
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:03 pm">6 years ago</span>however, the song does belong to the concert situation, where it can only unfold its full effect: these enormous sounds, which enfold you and soar upwards. A cathedral is the ideal place for this song. I can’t imagine it half as impressive in a concert hall.
I loved it.

5. From a Distance: The arrangement was not much different from the "Hope" version, but I still enjoyed it a lot, since the tempo was slowed down a bit and I was very glad they kept the last few sentences as:
It's the hope of hopes, (everyone)
it's the love of loves, (third/fourth/tenor parts)
it's the voice of every man (first/second parts)
and then repeated by the soloist (Merlin)! 👍

6. Carol of the Bells: A Libera Christmas concert is simply not complete without this song. This is actually one of my favourite Libera songs, with its signature four-note motif, strong rhythm and complexity. It truly gets my full concentration, starting calm then gradually more and more of a “bells ringing” feeling, reaching the peak at “Gloria, in excelsis Deo” then calming down again. Nice to hear mini-boy Daniel White singing the last few words, a tradition I didn’t know about.

7. How Great Thou Art: Another one of my favourites. Libera shows their full potential in this song with both the vocal range and the harmonies. It was just perfect.

8. Stay With Me: Others have raised issues with the microphones and sound system, but I didn’t notice it much, probably because my ears aren’t sharp enough. 😅 It was still pretty well done, with quite some variations from the “Eternal” version I’m used to.

9. Dies Irae: Yet another one of my favourites… except at the end the melody felt new to me, because it transitioned seamlessly into…

10. Joyful Joyful: A totally different atmosphere from the previous song, the cathedral feels lit up with this one. It’s fascinating how it sounded almost the same as the version on the “America” album. One of the reasons I like Libera is that they focus on singing skills rather than specific voices/soloists (like some other choirs do), so the unique sound of Libera stays the same over time although the choristers come and go.

——interval——

11. I am the Day: A classic piece brilliantly done, especially the "whispered" part.

12. ‎I'm Dreaming of Home: One of the best songs on "Hope", this time with a solo by Taichi, which certainly doesn't fall short of Camden's version.

13. San Damiano: The song that started it all, with the usual Libera touch. Not much else to say about this song, as it is not the kind of Libera song I'm into.

14. Salva Me: Again, very nice descant by Taichi.

15. Amazing Grace: As the title says, simply amazing. One of the most powerful Libera songs and definitely among my favourites. The song builds up steadily, then quiets down to a calming solo verse (which is my favourite part), before the magnificent final verse.

Before going to university, I went to a Christian school and we sang this hymn quite a few times in Assembly and in the church. And of course, every time I instinctively sang it to Libera's arrangement of the melody instead of the original tune. 😁

16. Orinoco Flow: Same as San Damiano, not much to say about this song.

17. Wayfaring Stranger: Another powerful song, another one of my favourites. Alex handled the challenging solo fantastically, and the rest of the choir was equally brilliant.

18. Smile: Amazing solos by Gabe and Alessandro (I'm very pleased that Alessandro's lower solo was kept), almost exactly as on "Hope".

The boys lined up on stage and said "Merry Christmas" in their own languages, ending with Peter (as a half-American) saying "Happy Holidays"

19. Libera: An essential "trademark" song for any Libera concert, this did not sound much different from the version 10 years ago. As mentioned above, this is what impresses me about Libera.

Applause and standing ovation, the lights get turned on and everyone was expecting the concert to end at this point. But then the first notes of "Do Not Stand" started and the lights are off again!

ENCORE 1. Do Not Stand: A very calming and moving song. Leo and Gabe harmonized perfectly, and the emotions of this song was very completely expressed together with Robert's piano. I didn't know it was a duet before and it sounded so complete that I thought it was a whole choir singing, until I found out afterwards... Just wow. 👍

I would put this song into the same category as "Danny Boy" (as performed at Guildford Cathedral) — Emotionally moving, well expressed and complete with very few voices (and in this case, a piano).

Some have suggested this to be a tribute to Steven Philip, in which case I think it fulfilled its purpose perfectly.

ENCORE 2. In Dulci Jubilo: Felix and Eimear were performing on stage for this song. A very cheerful song and a very festive end to the concert.

——————————
Overall, a wonderful concert and a great first-time experience for me! I was very excited throughout, sitting up straight the whole time and humming the tune of "In Dulci Jubilo" all the way on the Tube.

Some side notes:
  • Speeches: Apart from the "Merry Christmas" one, there was the usual introduction (in which Peter forgot his line about the venue change), the "hood demonstration", the multi-language demonstration, presenting Moose (instead of hiding him away).

Before "Dies Irae" there was also this: "After the next couple of songs we will take a break and have a few drinks, we shall not spill our drinks on our beautiful white robes." So yeah, half of that "putting hoodies on back-to-front" thing is still there. 😉
  • Westminster Cathedral is a gorgeous building and I will be sure to visit it again. (Hopefully Libera will too? 😉)
  • I will make sure to bring a monocular/binocular the next time I go to a Libera concert, so that I can see details that I missed this time (such as Romeo's recorder) 😅
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thanks for the review of your very first Libera concert, Victor. :D I am so glad that you got to hear some of your personal favorites that evening. Hopefully you will get to see them again soon.

I share your sentiment about "Angele Dei" by the way!
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Many thanks to john45, danieb88, Victor C, Padmachou, ste1701fan, andmar – a special thank you goes to you of course! :wink: :mrgreen: - for posting all your reviews and impressions. Mine will follow. I admire your abilities to notice and remember so many small details and feel embarrassed to still have missed quite some of them.

Victor C wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:15 am">6 years ago</span> 4. Angele Dei: Wow! This sounded and felt totally differently from "Hope"! With the acoustics of the cathedral and the lighting, as well as Rocco's solo, this song holds your breath and gives you goosebumps! (until you get to the "illumina" part) Just like filiarheni said a while ago in the "Hope" review:
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:03 pm">6 years ago</span>however, the song does belong to the concert situation, where it can only unfold its full effect: these enormous sounds, which enfold you and soar upwards. A cathedral is the ideal place for this song. I can’t imagine it half as impressive in a concert hall.
I loved it.
That's fine, glad you loved it! :D

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:15 am">6 years ago</span> I might be mistaking but I didn't hear any mention of the evening concert and was surprised but I guess all the tickets were sold.
It was mentioned in order to explain the attending people that and why the church after the service would be closed to the public. In turn, I think I remember that they did not name “Libera” explicitly. :shock:
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

And now, probably bringing up the rear, as November and December as a rule are horribly busy times for me, here is my review, hoping that you still feel like looking back. It will not list each song, but those I felt a need to comment on. (And well, for the first time I wrote the English version before the German one, and that feels a bit strange. :oops: ). Enough. Please fasten your seat belts.

Prologue
This time, I was highly lucky to receive a unique warm-up for our Libera concert one day before by witnessing a children’s nativity play for their schoolmates in Westminster Cathedral. They sang a lot and did solos too, but the leitmotif throughout the play was –Libera’s Air recording with Tom Cully soloing. Oh!! It felt like a miracle to me! Short fragments were played repeatedly with one very long part towards the end. Here are two lousy recordings of mine (scroll up for the first), I was sitting in the last row to not disturb. Better turn them extremelyloud. If I'd only known that the recordings would turn out so bad… :roll: :cry:

What a treat for a Libera fan whose reason for coming to London moreover is a Libera concert! :D

Fan_de_LoK had named London the capital of the world at this time of the year, and I can’t think of any description more appropriate. :!: :lol: It was my second Christmas concert. I had heard that a Libera Christmas concert never consists of Christmas music exclusively, but this time their part in total really was remarkably low. And this induces me to do some statistics:

2016: 19 songs including 7 Christmas songs, + 1 encore = 35 % carols
2017: 19 songs incl. 3 carols, + 2 encores incl. 1 carol = 19 % carols
Out of this year’s 4 carols, 50 % were heard in the 2016 concert (Carol of the Bells, In dulci jubilo). The remaining 50 % were Do You Hear What I Hear and Gaudete.

That’s sober facts just for the fun. I was entirely satisfied with both years' set lists, all the more, as there were no less than six surprises for me this time – pleasant surprises, and I simply loved every single of them, the individual song itself as well as its rendition.

The not so good things first to get it over with, but I’m happy to say that none of them was Libera’s fault, but due to the venue and the circumstances which forced Libera to move to another venue at shortest notice. Just remember that they tweeted the information at 1:30 am in the night of 28./29th November, and only a short sound check was feasible, squeezed into the gap between the preceding service and the concert. So the technique crew isn’t to blame either, they did their best under such an incredible pressure and they clearly must have worked on it during the interval. because the second half went much better! Big thank you, sound crew!
It affected the sound balance between different voice groups, one being stronger than the other, and several times the sound came a subsecond after the other one instead of a synchronous whole. Often, individual singers could be spotted too distinctly for a choir sound.
Westminster Cathedral certainly is a very nice church. The inner part displays a variety of colours which is pretty. But when you look upwards to the ceiling, you see into darkness ... Strange combination. As colourful as it is, this church has something gloomy. And during the concert, I felt a coldness of the atmosphere in there. In comparison, Ely Cathedral is a very big church as well, but how different is its effect! With its transparence and different styles in construction united here, it radiates joy, harmony, and yes, warmth. (Ok, sorry for bothering you again with my unlimited enthusiasm for Ely Cathedral … :) )
This is serious. Furthermore, the two quite long wooden walls from left and right, behind which the choir was placed, were so high that the smallest boys were half covered. It resembled a shielding and created a distance between Libera and the audience, which, I’m honest, kept disturbing me throughout the concert.
Therefore, as curious and excited as I was to attend a Libera concert there and as happy as I sure am for those many people who got rid of the view-restricting pillars – an indisputable advantage! - or found themselves at a much better seat: Having experienced it now, I do not think that Westminster Cathedral is an ideal place for a Libera concert.

Ok, finished, now I’m ready for the good – and there was so much of it! I am able to say something very positive about the venue as well: The lighting was stunning and it seemed as if the church’s own colours were utilized to reinforce the lighting’s effect.

To have both surprise and anticipation, I read the setlist only during the interval so that the entire first concert half was like a blank area on the map for me. I love to recognise the next song by its first sounds instead of being informed before, especially the unexpected. It can cause such joyful jumps of the heart! And it started just as well right away :arrow:

Do you hear what I hear
First song, first surprise! I’ve known the song for a long while, but never listened to Libera’s version. And now I’m convinced that Robert can read my mind, as those echoes and their way of expanding and mingling them are precisely what I’ve been dreaming of as a choir arrangement. There can really something be made out of this song – and here you are! Lovely singing by Libera.

Gaudete
Next surprise and very welcome! This song belongs to the “Exsultate” and “Dies Irae” category. I like it a lot, and the floating solo melody at the beginning enchants me. Very well done solo, Gabe..

Angele Dei
That’s the song I label as pure light-bath. I heard that live for the 3rd time now, and it's always absolutely marvelous plus it’s just ‘so Libera’! The full illumination of the church upwards during the “Illumina” parts went perfectly along with the music. Literally a high light.

From a Distance
Robert rose from his seat to conduct. If he did so before, I overlooked it. The purpose, I assume, was to make himself visible, because the boys were kneeling. Merlin’s live solos so far couldn’t really convince me, as he tended to lug the notes from one to the next. But what a difference a few months can make! His singing qualities have developed in an amazing way. That lugging is completely gone. Accolades, Merlin!

Carol of the Bells
Just the best version of this popular song. 6 million plays on youtube? No wonder! I’m probably to blame for that high number, too. In addition of course to the many times I listen to my CD/DVD. Such a vivacious song, full of power and joyful tension. It was great to hear it live again.

It’s the next song’s turn.
Deep, long humming of the keyboard. This is … aw, yeah, it definitely is! …… am I really that lucky? Yes: How Great Thou Art!
This song never fails to draw me in. I was so happy to hear it in the concert. Alex G. sang a very convincing, serious solo. Interesting how this song and “Wayfaring Stranger” are treated as a pair, as they are always soloed by one and the same soloist: Sam W. – Alessandro – Alex G.

Stay With Me
is not a favourite of mine, but I liked Oliver’s singing. I look forward to hearing more from him. He does deserve more solo opportunities, all the more as he was unlucky concerning the sound-technical issues.
Taichi, soloist of the vocalises here, has made a great step forward since Vallendar, However, that evening his voice sounded as if he was insecure about being too loud, too low or right. Apart from that, he did fine. A reliable, highly enjoyable soloist.

Dies Irae
Nice, strong song, but to my regret without the new introduction we had heard in Ely.

During the intermission, I had my first look at the programme and discovered I Am the Day, surprise no. 4.

I Am The Day
So good to hear it live! The whispers at the beginning create a special mysterious atmosphere, almost creepy. Goosebumps! The whole song was simply impressive. I trust that it will be kept in the set list through the next concerts; I think we all would appreciate that.

They at least partly revived the “Free” version. That means that the originally sung high tunes at the second whispering part were also sung today. In the later Leiden version they were replaced by a very restrained keyboard sounds or omitted.

Salva Ma
Gorgeous, round “salva” bows by Taichi! In fact, the song was perfect every time in all of my four concerts. How do they do that?! It’s always a highlight!

Amazing Grace
Only Libera can rescue this song, and they beautifully do so. I enjoy looong solos by Rocco. I can only repeat myself begging that they save a recording with an extended solo by him in time. We need it. His tiny "Salve Regina" solo just can’t remain the only one … please, please.

Orinoco Flow
I suspect this song to be a crowd pleaser. I wouldn’t miss it, if it was missing.

Wayfaring Stranger
I love this very impressive song, always good for goosebumps. I didn’t notice a difference from my other concerts as to the performance; it’s a song that seems to be interpreted very well by Libera at any time. Amazing!

:) Smile :)
During this song something happened to me. I had never liked it in general, although I was able to enjoy the Libera version quite alright. But that night at the concert, I felt my previous reluctance finally melting down to zero, and the sudden awareness “I like it and I’m able to admit it” actually filled me with joy and peace and somehow relief as well. One of the most touching experiences in the concert and it still echoes in me.

Gabe just owns “Smile”. His voice sounded a bit rough during the first notes, which then vanished and he returned to the excellence I’m used to. I love, simply love so much the gently shimmering voices of the boys in this song.
Extra compliments to the wonderful, heart-warming duet by Gabe and Alessandro, which I have never enjoyed as much as today. Thank you so much, Libera! You made it. It was hard with this very piece, but you have won me over now. :)

Awaiting the encore …

Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep
Again, when hearing the first sounds from the piano, I couldn’t believe it. What a gift! This particularly beautiful, thoughtful, loving song has been one of my favourite songs since my first listen. It means a lot to me to have received it live. Gabe and Leo sang it beautifully. Together with Robert at the piano, they moved me to tears with the song and made me forget everything around me (afterwards, I found myself somehow hanging in my seat ...).

And then … After the last piano sounds, there was a wonderful moment of complete silence maintained by the audience, before the applause began. Something that I will not forget and wished to have more often. But that doesn’t matter now; I simply was so glad that obviously everyone felt that any noise would have been out of place now, at least for this one precious moment. We may all have felt more or less the same during the song. Very moving indeed.

Exsultate
Flutist Eimear McGeown and percussionist Felix Higginbottom entered the stage and then there began the cheerfully swaying instrumental introduction of "In dulci jubilo".

True! I dare to allege that everybody in the audience had …. not expected this, and the exchange made at least two people in the audience very happy that night! :P :D

One second, I must fix something …

Exsultate In dulci jubilo
It was self-evident that a choir concert cannot end with a duet (let alone this song), so this time the lucky audience could safely look forward to a second encore. Also a fine feeling. “In dulci jubilo” was the other extreme to the trio before: full choir and orchestra now, no solo. Its light-hearted attitude in lyrics, arrangement and tempo somehow healed the wistful mood which the very serious “Do Not Stand” had left behind, bringing the joy back to us. And thus this Libera Christmas concert ended as it should be, letting their audience go home elated, cheerful, inspired!

Leo struck me throughout the whole evening. You can see how much he loves singing and being a part of Libera, he is all enthusiasm. :D Infectious! Recalling the announcement videos for the US and photos as well, I’m sure that he must be highly talented at being an actor and, at the same time, he appears very authentic. Great combination!

I am very happy to say that the choir in this concert again was fabulous as well as were the musicians! Thank you to Libera and to all, who make Libera possible!

If I had to rank my concerts, it would result in: 1) Ely 2017 - 2) London 2016 - 3) London 2017 - 4) Vallendar. Which means nothing bad for this concert! It's only that London 2016 was simply perfect, Ely in April was even more perfect (math/numbers people, look away :wink: ), so it’s hardly possible to top these two or find a place between them.

P.S. When the boys presented Moose they mentioned that he had never been to San Damiano. It was the introduction to the following San Damiano, but yet got me thinking about an Italy tour. They could do one, I find. Several good reasons for such a journey could be found, although the Moose one would already be enough, no? :lol:

P.P.S. The date of the Christmas concert 2018 will be more important for me than usual. Maybe someone of you can tell if it will more likely take place during the same week, which would mean: 30th November, or rather on 7th December?

Thank you very much for reading this inundation review. My final official act in 2017. :mrgreen: Have a good 2018, all of you! :D
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Thank you filiarheni for your review. As always it was a pleasure to read.

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:00 am">6 years ago</span> So the technique crew isn’t to blame either, they did their best under such an incredible pressure and they clearly must have worked on it during the interval. because the second half went much better! Big thank you, sound crew!
Yes, they did an incredible job in such a short time!

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:00 am">6 years ago</span> Therefore, as curious and excited as I was to attend a Libera concert there and as happy as I sure am for those many people who got rid of the view-restricting pillars – an indisputable advantage! - or found themselves at a much better seat: Having experienced it now, I do not think that Westminster Cathedral is an ideal place for a Libera concert.
Agree! I hope the 2018 Christmas Concert will be at St.Georges.

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:15 am">6 years ago</span> I admire your abilities to notice and remember so many small details and feel embarrassed to still have missed quite some of them.
You are not alone here. I feel exactly the same but when we put together what each of us remembered, we have a good chance to have a more or less complete picture.

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:15 am">6 years ago</span>
Padmachou wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:15 am">6 years ago</span> I might be mistaking but I didn't hear any mention of the evening concert and was surprised but I guess all the tickets were sold.
It was mentioned in order to explain the attending people that and why the church after the service would be closed to the public. In turn, I think I remember that they did not name “Libera” explicitly. :shock:
No, the "Libera" name was not mentioned - I can remember it exactly. All the people in the cathedral were asked to leave because of "a (upcoming) concert" and some technical preparations for it.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Great review filiarheni! Thank you so much for writing it even if it did take you far (away) too long to deliver it to us :lol: :wink:. Your impressions are also appreciated and I can agree with you about Rocco's solos and "Angele Dei" which I heard in Saint Louis and which ended up, unexpectedly, as one of my favorites from the concert - a "light-bath" is an apt description.

I am so glad that you had a great concert experience and that you enjoyed it - even if it was not as amazing as previous shows have been for you. We all have our own preferences for songs, or even for music outside of Libera, and fantastic concerts (whether Libera or not) give us all something to look forward to and/or to look back with gladness and gratitude on.

So glad you were able to share your wonderful experience here with us! :D
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

:D Thank you, andmar and Surpinto.
andmar wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:49 pm">6 years ago</span> when we put together what each of us remembered, we have a good chance to have a more or less complete picture.
Yes, thank goodness we are not alone! :wink:

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:49 pm">6 years ago</span> Thank you so much for writing it even if it did take you far (away) too long to deliver it to us :lol: :wink:
Someone kept acting as my good conscience. :mrgreen:

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:49 pm">6 years ago</span> even if it was not as amazing as previous shows have been for you.
Slight differences only. Sometimes, things have to decrease a bit so that there is the chance to top them again. I don't find anything bad herein (I know you didn't mean it that way :) , I'd just like to avoid a possible general misunderstanding), because Libera itself was excellent, and this is what counts and what makes he happy. Plus that concert night brought me two extradordinary, unforgettable experiences in Smile and Do Not Stand), and for both I am deeply grateful, and I'll live on them for quite a while.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Mawi has posted some brilliant photos of Libera and of the Cathedral here (I especially like Robert's silhouette, really like cut-out :lol:) :
http://www.libera-welt.de/forum/viewtop ... 1&start=10
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

It's been a while and finally I can read everything thoroughly. Thank you Victor C & filiarheni for your wonderful reviews. :D
(Especially Victor C, because it's your first concert if I remember correctly, I've just had mine not so long ago so I think I can partly understand your feeling & excitement)

About Victor's review:
Victor C wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:15 am">6 years ago</span> Sanctus: A signature song, presented very well as always. Compared to the "America" album there was a new lower part (with a different melody) at the "Benedictus in nomine, qui venit in nomine" bit (is there a technical name for this section of the song?), and I really liked this addition.
- I believe you're talking about the line that Sam Leggett sang in Leiden - yes, it's back! I've also mentioned it in my review of their concerts in China. I'm still wondering if that line was sung by Alex M, it really sounded like his voice but he is in the middle of a voice break.
- Did they really slow down From a Distance? I didn't remember if they did on the previous China tour, but I also agree that slowing down the song a bit can enhance its effect significantly, the same case with Far Away, which I found a bit too fast at the concerts in China.
- I 100% agree with you on Carol of the Bells! Reading your review is like reading my own review of the song: the "bell ringing" effect, and also the glorious and super enchanting “Gloria, in Excelsis Deo”. Listening to this song live must have been hypnotizing!
- Your idea about San Damiano and Orinoco Flow is the same as mine - we must have somewhat similar tastes in music!! Hello, my mate. 8)

About filiarheni's review:
- I agree with filiarheni about Do you hear what I hear's echo sound. I haven't listened to this song before (just did) and it really IS a lovely song, perfect for setting the mood of a Christmas concert.
- Your description of Angele Dei hooks me every time, as I know I feel that way but cannot put it into words. I have had a hope of listening to this song in China, but sadly they didn't sing this one. I hope they keep this song on the setlist for a bit longer so that I can come listen in the future. :P
- I can't agree with you more on I Am The Day and Wayfaring Stranger. I am particularly glad that I Am The Day is back as it is one of my favorites. Just imagining I can go listen to it live gets me goosebumps.
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:00 am">6 years ago</span> During this song something happened to me. I had never liked it in general, although I was able to enjoy the Libera version quite alright. But that night at the concert, I felt my previous reluctance finally melting down to zero, and the sudden awareness “I like it and I’m able to admit it” actually filled me with joy and peace and somehow relief as well. One of the most touching experiences in the concert and it still echoes in me.
- I intended to keep this as a secret for myself, but now since you've let it all out, I will too. I can comprehend this pretty well, as it also happened to me. This particular song has more power at live concerts than it does on the CD. There's a little difference in my case: now that the concert experience is not as strong, I'm back to my old feelings and not liking this song very much. However, with all my heart, I want to listen to it at live concerts again.

About both:
- Do Not Stand... is a wonderful song and I like it very very very much! My first thought when I saw this one on the setlist is 'Woooowwww' and my second thought is 'jealous much (with the ones who were there at the concert)!' - I agree that this song can make you forget about the reality and you'll just have to go with the flow. I have a question: Did Leo sing the lower harmony for Gabe? He often has the upper parts, so I am really curious reading all these reviews. Also, I did not know that his voice is really distinct (not until the 2017 Merry Christmas video) as he mainly does the vocalizes, not the lyrics solo. I really really want to listen to his duet with Gabe - as every single review here says good things about it, it must have been an extremely beautiful & moving performance!

All in all, I am particularly glad that all the soloists did well. I was a little bit worried if I have been overwhelmed by the first experience thus praised them excessively in the China tour's review. Apparently, I am not alone, as the soloists of Libera ARE really good themselves! :wink: Taichi's and Leo's high notes; Alex G's, Merlin's and Gabe's wonderful solos; also 'Oliver' with his Stay With Me - my thoughts about them are not subjective, and that makes me really happy. :mrgreen:
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

kinda_k00l wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:20 pm">6 years ago</span>
- Do Not Stand... is a wonderful song and I like it very very very much! My first thought when I saw this one on the setlist is 'Woooowwww' and my second thought is 'jealous much (with the ones who were there at the concert)!' - I agree that this song can make you forget about the reality and you'll just have to go with the flow. I have a question: Did Leo sing the lower harmony for Gabe? He often has the upper parts, so I am really curious reading all these reviews. Also, I did not know that his voice is really distinct (not until the 2017 Merry Christmas video) as he mainly does the vocalizes, not the lyrics solo. I really really want to listen to his duet with Gabe - as every single review here says good things about it, it must have been an extremely beautiful & moving performance!
I am pretty sure it was more complex than that :D Impossible to say that one of them had the high part and the other one the low one. The two parts are intricated. So basically Gabe had the main part, because he sang all the time. And Leo joined with a high part but then it would become the lower one... Anyway their voices fit really well together and with the song. It's been a while but there still is the ghost of this song following me. Should I choose to hear one of the concert's song one more time, I would pick this one.
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:11 am">6 years ago</span> I am pretty sure it was more complex than that Impossible to say that one of them had the high part and the other one the low one. The two parts are intricated. So basically Gabe had the main part, because he sang all the time. And Leo joined with a high part but then it would become the lower one...
I have listened to the studio version and now I get it! (How reckless I was) :shock: As I have only listened to the Leiden's version, where Tom Cully's & Ed Day's voices blend so well together, I did not realize that the main melody is not always the high part throughout the song. :D Well, you learn something new every day. :roll:

Thanks for the verification.
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

kinda_k00l wrote: <span title="Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:28 pm">6 years ago</span>
Padmachou wrote: <span title="Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:11 am">6 years ago</span> I am pretty sure it was more complex than that Impossible to say that one of them had the high part and the other one the low one. The two parts are intricated. So basically Gabe had the main part, because he sang all the time. And Leo joined with a high part but then it would become the lower one...
I have listened to the studio version and now I get it! (How reckless I was) :shock: As I have only listened to the Leiden's version, where Tom Cully's & Ed Day's voices blend so well together, I did not realize that the main melody is not always the high part throughout the song.
Yes, you can hear the division of the voices much better in the studio version, because Ben's voice is so unique that it can hardly be confused with someone else's voice. Main melody doesn't always mean highest melody. :wink: That these two are so close to each other, is tricky. It's a brilliant setting by Robert! :!:

Gabe sang the 1st voice, Leo the 2nd, accompanying (or should I say: complementing) voice, which in this special case means that Gabe at the "I am the sunlight" and the "of quiet birds" parts sang the lower voice. That's the division I hear from the CDs and I remember from the concert.

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:11 am">6 years ago</span> Anyway their voices fit really well together and with the song. It's been a while but there still is the ghost of this song following me. Should I choose to hear one of the concert's song one more time, I would pick this one.
It has been my dream come true to hear this song live, and I second you, Padmachou: It would be marvelous to hear it in a concert again. And the cherry on the cake would be the version with the harp of the "Free" album instead of the piano. Piano is nice (and had to be played by Robert this time), but the tenderness of the harp matches the song just so perfectly.

Victor C wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:15 am">6 years ago</span> 2. Sanctus: A signature song, presented very well as always. Compared to the "America" album there was a new lower part (with a different melody) at the "Benedictus in nomine, qui venit in nomine" bit (is there a technical name for this section of the song?), and I really liked this addition.
Can you describe a bit more exactly what you mean? Which one of the "Benedictus" bits? And a technical name? Like refrain and verse, you mean? In the case of this song I would just label the individual parts with letters.