Libera to tour USA - Summer 2017

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

andmar
Silver Member

Re: Libera to tour USA

Post by andmar »

john45 wrote: <span title="Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:01 am">6 years ago</span> Some pictures after tonight's concert.
Thank you John for the great pictures. I wonder why all the boys wear their Libera jackets as if it was cold in the place where they are. It's summer in California after all, so I guess it's rather hot. Or is it because someone set the air conditioning to a too low temperature?
Last edited by andmar on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sjh

Post by Sjh »

andmar wrote: <span title="Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:42 am">6 years ago</span>
john45 wrote: <span title="Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:01 am">6 years ago</span> Some pictures after tonight's concert.
Thank you John for the great pictures. I wonder why all the boys wear their Libera jackets as if it was cold in the place where they are. It's summer in California after all, so I guess it' rather hot. Or is it because someone set the air conditioning to a too low temperature?
Well they may well sing and look like angels but under all that lurks a boy and boys have a natural attraction to dirt the tops keep the robes clean allowing them to eat and drink and do boy stuff.
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Sjh wrote: <span title="Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:03 am">6 years ago</span>
andmar wrote: <span title="Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:42 am">6 years ago</span>
Thank you John for the great pictures. I wonder why all the boys wear their Libera jackets as if it was cold in the place where they are. It's summer in California after all, so I guess it's rather hot. Or is it because someone set the air conditioning to a too low temperature?
Well they may well sing and look like angels but under all that lurks a boy and boys have a natural attraction to dirt the tops keep the robes clean allowing them to eat and drink and do boy stuff.
Oh, I see. In this case it would be the pens, which could ruin the robes. Yes. I hope they didn't melt because of the heat :lol: :lol:
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

katyafan wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:55 am">6 years ago</span> I have zero money and am therefore unable to travel, so when I heard my favorite little robed-ones were making their way to Southern California, I darn near exploded. And for two concerts!!!!!!
I feel comforted reading these lines. I also have zero money to travel & I'm pretty sure I'm also gonna explode if they come to my country (well, except for the chance for Libera to come here is almost zero).
katyafan wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:55 am">6 years ago</span> Very well done, group cohesion and awareness between harmony parts were well-above par for even a seasoned professional youth choir. I noticed several glances from boys checking with each other that they were on time with their group.

Professionalism was outstanding. They are boys, they giggle, they trip, they flub, but each time they regained composure, didn’t miss a beat, and focused on their tasks, even through small giggle fits (that only added to the magic). This is something adult musicians can have trouble with. I was very impressed. It is obvious that RP doesn’t rule with an iron fist, but rather encourages discipline along with joy. What a remarkable man.

Focus and enthusiasm were also readily apparent. We all know which boys wear their love of singing on their faces at all times, and they brought me great joy. What most casual observers wouldn’t notice was the ability of most of them to visibly tie their emotions to the songs. This cannot be taught, is obvious when faked, and to have it occur in young boys is rare indeed.

Last general observation: they work as a team. They noticed when those next to them had a great descant, for example, or a bit of a pitch issue, and smiled together each time. Warmed my heart.
Can't say thank you enough for writing this. This is the very part that I enjoy reading the most. There are many reviews about their songs, but not so many about how Libera sang them and how they worked together. As a music enthusiast, I pay a lot of attention to their songs & harmony (I'm quite a perfectionist about certain stuff); however, as a super biased fan, I really really want to know stuff like this!! Thanks, again!!!!
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

Thank you! So glad that they all looked joyful and didn't seem to be very tired or sleepy (2 concerts in a row with church services in between is somewhat too much even for me). Hope other concerts will be successful & the souvenirs will all be sold out.
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

katyafan wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:55 am">6 years ago</span> Second part of the review tomorrow! Looking forward to tomorrow’s concert as well, will be interesting to note the differences and similarities.
Love your review so far! Waiting (impatiently) for the second half. :D
Nice photos!
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

kinda_k00l wrote: <span title="Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:51 pm">6 years ago</span>
katyafan wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:55 am">6 years ago</span> Very well done, group cohesion and awareness between harmony parts were well-above par for even a seasoned professional youth choir. I noticed several glances from boys checking with each other that they were on time with their group.

Professionalism was outstanding. They are boys, they giggle, they trip, they flub, but each time they regained composure, didn’t miss a beat, and focused on their tasks, even through small giggle fits (that only added to the magic). This is something adult musicians can have trouble with. I was very impressed. It is obvious that RP doesn’t rule with an iron fist, but rather encourages discipline along with joy. What a remarkable man.

Focus and enthusiasm were also readily apparent. We all know which boys wear their love of singing on their faces at all times, and they brought me great joy. What most casual observers wouldn’t notice was the ability of most of them to visibly tie their emotions to the songs. This cannot be taught, is obvious when faked, and to have it occur in young boys is rare indeed.

Last general observation: they work as a team. They noticed when those next to them had a great descant, for example, or a bit of a pitch issue, and smiled together each time. Warmed my heart.
Can't say thank you enough for writing this. This is the very part that I enjoy reading the most. There are many reviews about their songs, but not so many about how Libera sang them and how they worked together. As a music enthusiast, I pay a lot of attention to their songs & harmony (I'm quite a perfectionist about certain stuff); however, as a super biased fan, I really really want to know stuff like this!! Thanks, again!!!!
I'd like to join and thank you katyafan for the words. I love Libera music which is unique and extraordinary, but something what makes me even more appreciate the group is HOW they work. Your observations confirm, that the boys love what they do, that they act as a good team of friends, that they are really enthusiastic and feel deeply involved in the music. And, even though they are children, they can be fully professional without loosing a real joy of singing and without stopping being boys. And they stay humble at the same time. What could make a better choir? Hats off to RP and the Libera staff, as they achieved something amazing, unbelievable, magnificent, wonderful ...
Libera Snow

Post by Libera Snow »

Hello John,

Thank you very much for posting very wonderful pictures!
I have never met Libera's boys in person though I can see them with Video.
Alessandro is not a small boy anymore......and his voice has changed.
Very nice pictures,thank you so much.

Libera Snow
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I was wondering if anybody who attended the concert at Calvary Comm. Church could give an estimate of how many people attended the concert. I know that the concert at Christ Cathedral was very well attended, but ticket sales for the other venue weren't going as well. I'm hoping that Libera's appearances at a couple church services helped boost attendance
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:00 pm">6 years ago</span> I was wondering if anybody who attended the concert at Calvary Comm. Church could give an estimate of how many people attended the concert.
Difficult to be sure in such a large venue (capacity 2700). I would guess at least 1000, possibly 1200.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

john45 wrote: <span title="Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:28 pm">6 years ago</span>
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:00 pm">6 years ago</span> I was wondering if anybody who attended the concert at Calvary Comm. Church could give an estimate of how many people attended the concert.
Difficult to be sure in such a large venue (capacity 2700). I would guess at least 1000, possibly 1200.
Well, I'm really glad to hear that, especially considering how few tickets were sold just three weeks ago.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Lovely pictures, John. They look so happy, having a good time with their friends. So good to see.
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:06 pm">6 years ago</span> Yuki (@DearLibera) posted a photo of Libera singing earlier today at Calvary Comm. Church which showed song lyrics that read, "And as He stands in victory sin's curse has lost its grip on me." I believe those words are from the popular Christian song "In Christ Alone."
Yes, those lyrics are from 'In Christ Alone'. What a wonderful thought it is to me that Libera has sung that song (as it always touches me). I wish I could hear that :)

In general, I am throughly enjoying all the reviews and enthusiasm shared on the Forum about this tour :) Keep it coming 8)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

john45 wrote: <span title="Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:28 pm">6 years ago</span>
I got an e-mail response from the lady who handled the ticket sales for the concert, and she said they sold about 650 tickets. That's actually quite good, considering they had only sold 140 tickets when I spoke to her on Monday, July 17th, just 13 days before the concert. In addition, I'm sure there were many people who couldn't make the concert, but liked what they heard at the church services where Libera sang.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

There's a few videos of Libera's 'How Great Thou Art' sung at Calvary Church service on Sunday knocking about on Instagram. I'll refrain from linking to them, as it's a bit of grey area with it being a service and not actual concert but they're easy to find. If you stitch the 3 videos together you probably get most of the song. Alex's solo came across just as great as the reviewers mentioned, and it was probably even better for the evening concert.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
gingerthedog1

Post by gingerthedog1 »

Here is a review from the Calvary concert. Firstly, I very much enjoyed the concert. What follows are general observations as well as specific highlights for each song. I agree with much of what Katya said about the boys working together to sing. They were constantly communicating with each other through glances. Teamwork was very, very apparent.There were slight technical issues during this concert, mostly sound mixing issues. Many times, the soloist’s mic would be turned all the way on before his part. Yet the boys were very much aware, and compensated by blending their voices almost immediately. The result was that it barely affected the concert at all. In fact, many probably didn’t even notice. There was also a popping microphone that would periodically go off, but being the professionals the boys are, the singing went on unperturbed.

Besides these minor issues, the concert was overwhelmingly positive.

Other tidbits:

Peter and Ben have been getting more supporting roles, joining the “core” group of the choir. (Ex. when there is an inner ring in certain song formations)

Leo and Taichi became principal descanters. They shared most of the highest descants in many of the songs. Adam joins them at times as well. This trio reminds me of Micheal UR, TDL, and Lucas carrying most of the descants in 2013. They were about the same age as well. These three definitely live up to their predecessors.

I noticed that Isaac and Ale walk off for some of the songs, yet Gregor and Alex M stay on, and even sing some treble lines. Interesting that though their voices are changing, they are still able to sing with the trebles, unlike Isaac and Ale who are older and probably further along voice development.

Romeo is definitively 9 years old. I asked him at the signing.

On the topic of the signing, I would like to give special mention to Neo. Understandably, most of the younger ones were sleepy and tired. Neo was an exception. He was friendly, outgoing, and full of energy and gratitude. While he must have been tired, he didn’t seem it in the slightest. I was very impressed with his enthusiasm and obvious joy at meeting fans.

I also told Alex G that Wayfaring Stranger was my favorite song. This was not strictly true, but it was ONE of my favorites! In response, he said “Thank you, that really means a lot.” I took this as a genuine expression of gratitude on his part, which confirmed all the more that these boys are grounded and level.

Now, onto the songs:

San Damiano: One of the highlights of the night. Dynamics, pitch, rhythms, were all perfect. The energy on this song was great, the boys also seemed to enjoy this one.

Sanctus: Merlin was excellent, Taichi and possibly Leo? did the high notes. There was a nice moment when Camden patted Merlin on the back after this.

I’m Dreaming of Home: Minor issue coming in for Taichi, but his highest notes were very well done. Katya mentioned this happened last concert as well, so maybe what we think is a mistake was actually intended. Camden was excellent, his mic was a little loud coming in but he still managed to blend well.

From a Distance: I’ve always loved the ah’s at the beginning of the song in the recordings, but hearing it live was even more incredible. I could pick out more separate notes of the chord, and I could even “feel” the shimmer that vocal chords can create when they are accurately intoned.
Merlin. Despite the lyric mess up at the end (he switched “love of loves” and “hope of hopes”, he sang well, only his face showed for a split second. His voice is sweet, soothing, and mellow. It brought out some of the happier notes in a somewhat sad song.

Angele Dei: Very impressed with the blend the choir produced when backing Rocco during this song. It was so good it sounded exactly like the recording. Rocco showed how versatile his voice was, the manner in which he sang was mysterious and a little dark, completely different from his Amazing Grace solo later on

Orinoco Flow: I loved the energy they sang this with, you could tell they really enjoyed singing it.
Side Note: Robert putting the baton and miming shoving it down his throat to make them smile.

Sacris Solemnis: One of my favorites. The harmonies were again well blended. Towards the end, Leo had a mini descant solo, and Rocco finished it with another mini solo. Both sang confidently and strong. The descants in this song stood out, done by Leo, Taichi and Adam.

Wonderful World: Gabe did very well on this, but I appreciated the “7 part harmony” portion in the middle of the song the most.

Libera: Alex had a special part towards the end of this song, his voice is deeper, but still quite expressive and beautiful. Alex and Rocco shared the words, and both harmonized with each other. The whole time, they were communicating with each other and Rob, which was cool to see.

Dies Irae: First time hearing this, I was quite impressed. I loved it, but can’t remember anything in particular to say because I was enjoying the song for the first time.

Joyful Joyful: Taichi stood out during this song because he had the biggest smile on his face. No wiggling baton sticks needed from Mr Prizeman for Taichi. Note: At one point in the concert, Mr. Prizeman actually mimed shoving his baton down his throat, possibly in an effort to get the boys to smile. I found it hilarious.

Angel: Camden was so gentle, calming, he almost sang it like a lullabye. Again, Leo and Taichi’s descants made this song extra amazing.

Salva Me: Taichi has much improved from last year. His salva’s were accurately pitched and very well done.

Amazing Grace: Rocco was amazing during this. His voice was warm, yet powerful and expansive. He made it sound loving and sweet, yet powerful all at once. The sound was very emotionally expressive, something which is difficult to do for any singer, not to mention a 12 year old one. I have to say Rocco’s rendition has become my favorite.

How Great Thou Art: Out of tonight’s concert, it was Alex that impressed me the most. (This is obviously a close call, because many other boys were impressive as well). But it was his plaintive and haunting tone matched with a gifted skill for phrasing that made Alex a standout. Both this and Wayfaring Stranger suit his voice perfectly, and Alex sang with skill which I had previously associated with his predecessors. He, as well as all the boys, have shown that Libera’s quality has maintained itself through the years.

As the boys got into position for the next song, they were a little out of formation. Robert made small little shifts with his baton, and 6 boys would adjust their positions in unison at once. They almost worked like a machine, each cog moving to the dance of the Prizeman baton. It goes to show how closely they monitor their director and practice working together, even when finding they are not singing but finding positions.

Wayfaring Stranger: Not only do I love the song itself, Alex sang it mind blowingly well, as an understatement. Even the slight vocal imperfections became my favorite qualities of his singing. An example is when he would run out of air towards the phrases ending, the sound would become thicker but softer, and would get a little husky. This roughness added the perfect eerie quality to the music. Though Sam sang a technically more perfect version on the DVD, Alex’s performance added complexity and depth. Neither sang it better; both were wonderful. Both boys did the song justice and then some, and both definitely deserve the praise they have gotten from fans.

Smile: Romeo was so nervous for his recorder solo. He kept moving his recorder up to his face, as if he wanted to practice before he would actually have to play. The look of concentration and seriousness was He did very well, and it was definitely the cutest moment of the concert. Ale and Gabe were quite good, as always, during this. The back row did indeed sing along with Ale on the lower parts when the whole choir sing together. I agree with others that they play an irreplaceable role in making the song as great as it is.

Exultate: Merlin mumbled a small bit of his first solo with a sheepish grin on his face, as if he was thinking about the previous lyric mess up. Also, something was very funny during this song. Tadhg sang with extra gusto and pomp, and got a few smirks and giggles from boys around him (as well as on the other side of the stage). Maybe an inside joke? The rest of the song went great, and at the end you could see the happiness in many of the boys faces at the applause and standing ovation.