Ely Cathedral 29th April 2017

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Re: Ely Cathedral 29th April 2017

Post by fan_de_LoK »

trev wrote:BTW, I am going to buy the train ticket, is that leaving at 10:30pm good enough?
The concert is scheduled to start at 19:30, so it should end at around 21:40.
According to Google Maps, the walk from the Cathedral to the station is 10 mn long.

The question is about a possible signature session, but this sounds extremely unlikely because of the 2 hours long drive needed to go back to South London after the concert.
Mr W

Post by Mr W »

Ely is a lovely town, so if you can its worth spending a few hours wandering around before the concert.
trev

Post by trev »

My return train takes 1 and half hour back to London. It will be around 12am when I arrive king cross :?

I do have some time before the concert to spend in the town, but not sure where to go. Thinking visit the cathedral, but will be there for the concert anyway...
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

trev wrote: <span title="Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:11 pm">7 years ago</span> My return train takes 1 and half hour back to London. It will be around 12am when I arrive king cross :?

I do have some time before the concert to spend in the town, but not sure where to go. Thinking visit the cathedral, but will be there for the concert anyway...
Check TripAdvisor. There isn't an abundance of things to do, like in a larger city, but you can visit Oliver Cromwell's House and there are a few other local museums and attractions that can take up some time. You could also find a nice pub to relax and have a drink for a while or do some walking about town.
Mr W

Post by Mr W »

The canal/river front is a lovely walk. Very pretty. Antiques centre next door, and old English tearoom.

BTW, I still have two tickets in row H available, aisle and one in from the aisle. PM me if interested.
j8000

Post by j8000 »

Evensong seems to be going ahead as usual at 17:30 before the concert, so I'd recommend that for anyone who will be arriving early. Ely Cathedral Choir are very good, although there is a chance it might be a visiting choir or the girl's choir, so if that concerns you do check with cathedral nearer the time.

More about the choir in this shameless plug for their current fundraising drive: :)

http://www.elycathedral.org/music/boy-c ... ristership
danny-bulgaria

Post by danny-bulgaria »

Thinking of getting a room... not a fan of the late night long travels. Still looking for something affordable and close to the cathedral :D
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

danny-bulgaria wrote: <span title="Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:58 pm">7 years ago</span> Thinking of getting a room... not a fan of the late night long travels. Still looking for something affordable and close to the cathedral :D

I have booked a room which I never normally do as i live in London. But it just seemed like all the hassle to get home so late would take away the fun of the evening.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

danny-bulgaria wrote: <span title="Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:58 pm">7 years ago</span> Thinking of getting a room... not a fan of the late night long travels. Still looking for something affordable and close to the cathedral :D
You'll probably find a decent room via Airbnb. I did :wink:
I am grateful for the advice about spending time in Ely :)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
danny-bulgaria

Post by danny-bulgaria »

At last... found a nice place to stay, not so far from the cathedral, one headache less.
trev

Post by trev »

dani wrote: <span title="Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:16 pm">7 years ago</span>

I have booked a room which I never normally do as i live in London. But it just seemed like all the hassle to get home so late would take away the fun of the evening.
London has all the night buses and tube, it's as convenient as travel at day imo.

Except the tiredness.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

I have 3 extra tickets available if anyone is looking for premium seats :)

- A2, 1st row on the right side,
- B2, 2nd row on the right side,
- D14, 4th row, centred, on the aisle

If interested, please contact me by private message, thank you ;)
Al17

Post by Al17 »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:34 pm">7 years ago</span> I have 3 extra tickets available if anyone is looking for premium seats :)

- A2, 1st row on the right side,
- B2, 2nd row on the right side,
- D14, 4th row, centred, on the aisle

If interested, please contact me by private message, thank you ;)
Woow :shock:
Unfortunately I can not :(
But I focus on a next time !
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

j8000 wrote: <span title="Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:18 pm">7 years ago</span> Evensong seems to be going ahead as usual at 17:30 before the concert, so I'd recommend that for anyone who will be arriving early. Ely Cathedral Choir are very good, although there is a chance it might be a visiting choir or the girl's choir, so if that concerns you do check with cathedral nearer the time.
They announced a project choir called "Cantemus Cum Spiritu":
http://www.elycathedral.org/worship/service-schedules

About the project:
http://www.choralholidays.com/blog/66/c ... um-spiritu
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

I am just wondering, how they will fit everything in the time frame. The Evensong is at 17:30, then the cathedral will be closed as Libera need some time for the soundcheck, then the audience must come in and take places, then the concert is at 19:30. The time seems to be short, doesn't it?