Continental Europe Tour Summer 2016

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

tom413
Gold Member

Re: Continental Europe Tour Summer 2016

Post by tom413 »

I am back to the hotel after dinner with John45 and fan_de_LoK and wanted to comment before I forget everything. :)

Often in a multi show tour, the first concert is not the strongest, but tonight's was really well done. If the other shows are better than this, the tour will be phenomenal!

The set list was as Yorkie has posted with the addition of an acapella piece entitled Veni Creator which was placed right before Libera.
This concert also featured a number of new songs, new singers and new spokesmen due to the inevitable changes in the group.
Debuting with new solos tonight were Alex Montoro, Gregor Lumden, Alex Gula, Gabriel Collins, Camden Stewart and Merlin Brouwer. Peter and Leo were new speakers and Alessandro and Alex Gula picked up extra speaking duties. Alex Gula was the official Polish translator as he read every speech to the audience in Polish after the speaker delivered it in English. Alex Montoro is this tour's most prolific soloist contributor and he was on his game. Gregor's first solo (and I beleive Alex Gula's as well) and Gabe's work on all notes super high also stood out to me in this show.

Despite all of the changes, they made it look easy tonight. I was very impressed that they did as well they did with all of the new materials and new roles. The concert itself was quite different from most past events that many of you may have attended. The church was very small and did not have a lot of seating capacity - but it was well filled. The restrictions on photography, recording etc. seem to have been lifted for this show. I had to advise my concert neighbor that I was not going to put up with him taking pictures during the songs, the shutter noise was too distracting. One woman even went up in front of the audience - twice - to record video on her cellphone, before a chaperone chased her away.

The response from the crowd was very enthusiatic, so much so that Libera could have easily done a second encore...unfortunately they were not prepared for this response and didn't have anything ready, instead leaving the audience wanting more....which should spark a lot of enthusiasm for tomorrow night's repeat performance in the City Square.

Tomorrow's forecast calls for rain, here's hoping it ends in time to allow Libera's show to go off without a hitch.
Last edited by tom413 on Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Well I see Tom has beat me to it - but I'll post what I had already written anyway.

Brief notes on the first Krakow concert. Not in any particular order because I cannot remember the song sequence and there was no program.

First the venue. This was a very small, but charming, Polish church (obviously for very small people as I could not fit in any of the pews other than the front two rows which had a deeper pitch).

The altar was just wide enough to fit the 28 choristers. There were four mikes in front of the group but personal mikes were not used. Musical accompaniment was keyboard, flute and percussion situated at the side of the altar.

It was inevitable that the day would eventually come, but it was sad not to hear any solo from Isaac. He has provided so many magical moments over the years. Isaac’s rendition of “Wonderful World” would be a difficult act for anyone to emulate, but Gregor did an excellent job and received one of the longest ovations of the evening. He has proved himself a worthy successor and I hope to hear more solos from him.

There was a new introduction to Sanctus (labelled as “Sanctus 2016” on the score).

There was also a new introduction to San Damiano. This was the first time I heard this song live and I was very impressed.

“Joyful, Joyful” was the same as usual as was “Stay with Me” though the crossed hands choreography was omitted.

Gabriel had an outstanding evening performing the high solos in Voca Me, Salve Me, Creator and the “Abends” duet with Alex G. Alex G had a busy night translating all the speeches into Polish. A new speaker was Peter who delivered his speeches clearly and confidently. Well done Peter.

A well known, but concert first, a capella chant – whose name I forget - preceded “Libera” which was sung in the usual manner led by Alessandro and Alex M. Alessandro and Alex M also led “Wayfaring Stranger” each at the head of the two diagonal columns (which did not meet for a final V formation as usual).

Camden sang the solo verse of “Amazing Grace” beautifully (Ciaran is not on tour).

Alex Montaro also had a very busy night with excellent solo performances of “The Prayer”and “Angel” and descant in many other songs.

These are the major changes from Romsey that I can remember. There will probably be a proper review by Patrick on the French Forum soon.

The attendance was very good and the audience very appreciative. They were very reluctant to let the boys leave the stage and were demanding another encore (the first was an abbreviated version of “Exultate”) but it appeared none had been prepared. After a not so short vote of thanks by the parish priest they were eventually allowed to leave the stage.

Tomorrow’s concert will be in Market Square where the atmosphere with the thousands of exuberant pilgrims is quite amazing. If the rain holds off (forecast is not promising) it will be a truly memorable event. Whatever happens, at least the boys will stay dry.
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

Wayfairing Stranger and Sacris Solemnis,:

I am sorry for any inconvenience that this recording caused to the other concert goers, but I am so very pleased to be able to see a bit of the concert!
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Thanks for the concert reviews Tom & John (and FDL on twitter). If it wasn't for your usual contributions we'd be pretty much in the dark about how things went.

alcesalcesobservator - that link no longer works, which is probably for the best.

Hope it stays dry for everyone tonight.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Wow, thanks for the reviews :D I'm so stoked for next Tuesday!

Have fun tonight, rain or shine.
I was hoping there would be a livestream on the official Youtube channel of the Vatican but the planned livestream is of a different event where the Pope will be present, not the concerts in Market Square.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Forgot to mention that Merlin did the solo part for Exultate. It should go without saying that this former Cathedral Chorister performed magnificently as usual
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

I posted my comments on the french forum, in french :mrgreen:

Here a link with Google translator :
https://translate.google.fr/translate?h ... illet-2016
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Full and complete as always Patrick. :)
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Also forgot to mention that Leo did the "Moose" speech with great enthusiasm and an infectious smile. Good job Leo!
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Tom, if you want to join I'm now back in front of the stage :)
Liberanna

Post by Liberanna »

Dear Patrick!
I am very grateful to you, thank you to the detailed news! :)

Dear alcesalcesobservator!
I saw the video. I agree with you! I envy those who were there at the concert, this recording is like a dream. I would never take part in the concert, I did not know that it's so wonderful. Thanks for the experience! :D

Dear Everybody!
If you think you can look on live television. Here is the link:
http://www.krakow.pl/multimedialny_krak ... owny_.html

(I'm really sorry, but I can not find the stream with sound :shock: )
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

maartendas wrote:If they sing the Ave Maria by Schubert..... you can probably sweep me off from the floor after that.
If they sang no matter which one of the other two Ave Marias, you could sweep me off from the floor. But I think they will not (I have tried not to glance at the song list, although I could not avoid to see some of them - because I'd like to be surprised). :)
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Unfortunately the weather forecast has been correct and it is raining in Krakow.
The good news is that it is more of a persistent drizzle than a downpour and every WYD
participant has been issued their own personal rain poncho, so it's likely that there will still
be many people wandering around the square who will be able to hear the music, stop by and
see the show. This will be my first Libera concert in shorts and a hoodie (my rain protection).
Will try to report back later on how things turn out.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Thank you Liberanna, tom413 and I were able to find ourselves on that live webcam, right before the stage, in the circle I drew :)

SchmPa

Post by SchmPa »

:lol:

You are all great! And funny!

I'm excited, how you will comment the concert in Germany. Because I will be there, too (with 3 friends) and it will be my first libera concert.

CAN'T WAIT till then!!!

I wish I would have been a fan earlier. I would have loved to hear TDL and Sam "live"... :?