Continental Europe Tour Summer 2016

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

jennaluvspbr
Gold Member

Re: Continental Europe Tour Summer 2016

Post by jennaluvspbr »

How funny I sing this song with my choir at school it was really hard for me when I did with my class I feel bad for libera because this song is not easy and there is many parts to it umm I wish libera luck with this sorry it was not good as I will like to see but I give them a 5 stars for doing this song
Robolib7

Post by Robolib7 »

This song is generating almost as much discussion as Santa Will Find You!!
I'm no expert on sound mixing or microphones but this reminded me a bit of the Kennedy Center Honors live performance of Love and Mercy a few years back which also seemed to suffer from some of the same technical issues.
Liesma

Post by Liesma »

If someone is interested, I have uploaded my video from last night from sector 01. Please forgive me the quality of video.

maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Thank you Liesma! It gives us an opportunity to get an idea of what is was like from the crowd.
I must say, once again I am moved. It's so tender and gentle. The harmonies are just beautiful.
I may be alone in this but... I don't care :)

And actually soundwise it sounds really good (I'm listening with headphones on, as I did last night). Sure, you can tell it's an amateur live recording - but it's definitely pleasant to listen to.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Thanks Liesma. You were lucky to get so close. I was very disappointed with the choice of song at first. Nothing to do with Libera's performance, which was flawless as usual, but with the song itself - and perhaps with having to put up with all the the rubbish that preceded it. However, a day later, and after listening several times, it is beginning to grow on me - especially the Amen.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Thanks Liesma! It was nice to listen to your personally recorded video.
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

Thanks Liesma! I think your recording picked up some of the higher harmonies which were nearly inaudible in the live stream. The sound mixing is still plainly horrid, but at least, if your video is any indication, the performance wasn't quite as cringeworthy in real life.
Congratulations on getting front row seats! Perhaps I saw you on the live feed?
hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

I think I can appreciate the sentiment of many of us Libera fans - we happen to know that they normally sound even better than that one example, and our sincere wish was that people would get a nice first taste of them. That's a commendable desire.

However, I agree with previous comments, that the overall effect was positive, getting exposure to hopefully thousands of new fans (and maybe a few nice new donors as well!)

The song, with its gentle syncopation, might have benefitted from at least some slight percussion (I notice Robert was directing rather succinctly) and/or a bit more lower tones in the instruments to balance it out.

But let's remember too, to be encouraging to Libera. After all, they did a wonderful job at a style they're not known for (urban gospel), and a song they were most likely asked to sing. I can't remember how many times I've played or sung songs at services, weddings, etc. that wouldn't have been my favorite, but come to think of it, it wasn't 'my' wedding.

This event just adds to their experiences - as I posted elsewhere - singing everywhere from movie clips to cruise ships to market squares with raindrips.

And one last note - the people who do follow up through YouTube, CDs, DVDs, etc. will be pleasantly surprised by the high standards of quality that Robert and the entire Libera family is known for.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Perhaps it would be nice to hear them sing it on their own with an arrangement composed by Rob himself?

I suspect the BCM Yorkie is talking about is part of a post-Vatican II to enhance "relevancy" and to reach out to the people in their own vernacular.

Most of you are probably too young to remember Debbie Reynolds as "The Singing Nun". That's where it started. A nun on a Vespa with a guitar.
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

hiskeys wrote:I think I can appreciate the sentiment of many of us Libera fans - we happen to know that they normally sound even better than that one example, and our sincere wish was that people would get a nice first taste of them. That's a commendable desire.

However, I agree with previous comments, that the overall effect was positive, getting exposure to hopefully thousands of new fans (and maybe a few nice new donors as well!)

The song, with its gentle syncopation, might have benefitted from at least some slight percussion (I notice Robert was directing rather succinctly) and/or a bit more lower tones in the instruments to balance it out.

But let's remember too, to be encouraging to Libera. After all, they did a wonderful job at a style they're not known for (urban gospel), and a song they were most likely asked to sing. I can't remember how many times I've played or sung songs at services, weddings, etc. that wouldn't have been my favorite, but come to think of it, it wasn't 'my' wedding.

This event just adds to their experiences - as I posted elsewhere - singing everywhere from movie clips to cruise ships to market squares with raindrips.

And one last note - the people who do follow up through YouTube, CDs, DVDs, etc. will be pleasantly surprised by the high standards of quality that Robert and the entire Libera family is known for.
Well put, hiskeys. You do sum things up in such a soothing manner. Its a pleasure to have you around. :)
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

FDL posted a photo of Libera performing in concert at kościół św kazimierza in krakow which out of curiosity led me to check their website and sure enough they have posted more pictures from last Thursday's concert here http://grzegorzki.vbiz.pl/dzien-irlandzki/

There was no stopping the sister of mercy filming with her tablet was there. Two things there you wouldn't come across at a UK concert.

My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Loved these pictures! I saw statues of two of my favourite saints - Anthony of Padua and Therese of Lisieux - on either side of the boys :)
I thought it was cute to see the small girls sitting on the floor in front of them :) The atmosphere seemed pretty cosy.
I also liked the picture which showed the percussion instruments up close - I wonder what those things are called that look like blades with little rings attached around the side. Maybe I'll get a good look at them tomorrow :)

So, regarding the filming, this means there are some recordings of this concert out there... I wonder if they'll ever surface.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
chris17

Post by chris17 »

I found a couple short clips of Amazing Grace and Sanctus on YouTube:

alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Libera posted four new pictures from Krakow:
Somebody somewhere is going to have a really good group picture!
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Well, the best was saved for last. Not that the previous two concerts were flawed in any way (other than by the rain in Market square) – but despite their long bus trip from Krakow (arriving at 1:00 AM) the boys were truly on top form at Vallendar. Yes, there were a few barely disguised yawns but it did not detract from a superb performance all round.

The venue itself was excellent. A circular modern church with a tent shaped roof providing excellent acoustics. All set in idyllic surroundings with babbling brooks, forest glades, lush shrubberies and manicured lawns.

Once again the weather was damp, but it did not deter the enthusiastic crowd which almost filled the 1200 capacity church.

Program was the same as before – however there were no speeches, other than brief welcoming words (in German) from Peter and Mathew J. Moose did not participate!

Some changes from Krakow - Alessandro sang “Wayfaring Stranger” alone, and was truly at his best – a highlight of the evening for me. Camden sang “Angel” beautifully and was not fazed by an unfortunate very loud feedback sound glitch. Adam accurately provided many of the high notes. I believe the first time his very pleasant voice has been heard alone. There were also more prominent back up roles for Ben, Leo and Rocco.

As soon as the concert ended, (after two prolonged standing ovations and much cheering) Gabriel, Tadhg, Alex G and Gregor headed for the doors with collection boxes which, by the time I reached them, were already overflowing with Euro bills – mostly 20s and some 50s. Of course, it would have been remiss to favour one collector over another – so it proved to be quite expensive.

The four were then joined by the rest of the choir who stood at the tables where CDs and DVDs had been briskly sold at the interval. There they signed autographs and posed for photographs. It was all very informal but overseen by the watchful eyes of the Chaperones and the Sisters.

Overall, this tour seems to have been a huge success and I hope we can now look forward to more concerts in Continental Europe.