Exeter, UK Monday 27th July & Christchurch 28th July 2015

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Exeter, UK Monday 27th July & Christchurch 28th July 201

Post by Yorkie »

JimmyRiddle wrote: have the rules been relaxed for their rehearsals, so that Libera now allow the public to watch them freely. At previous concerts they normally request to close the doors during their pre-concert warm-up, but maybe there as been a change in this tactic?
No, rules not relaxed. There is a tourist admission fee for Exeter and so the Cathedral doesn't shut and lose money. So, if you have paid your entrance fee.....

At Christchurch the Priory closed for their rehearsal.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Thanks for the clarification - I expect some of the tourists just visiting the cathedral at that time, would have been pleasantly surprised to come across a live musical rehearsal included in their entrance fee. Might have convinced a few to come back earlier in the evening for the concert too.

...and the singing during songs at a live concert... definitely a no-no...
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

JimmyRiddle wrote: I expect some of the tourists just visiting the cathedral at that time, would have been pleasantly surprised to come across a live musical rehearsal included in their entrance fee. Might have convinced a few to come back earlier in the evening for the concert too.
I think it helped in Exeter. I'm at a loss to explain the walk-up business at Christchurch though. When we got to the queue at 6:45 it was quite long, until it was divided into two lines - one for ticket holders and one for those who wished to purchase tickets. I've been to many a Libera concert and have never seen such a large line of people purchasing tickets at the door.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

tom413 wrote:I think it helped in Exeter. I'm at a loss to explain the walk-up business at Christchurch though. When we got to the queue at 6:45 it was quite long, until it was divided into two lines - one for ticket holders and one for those who wished to purchase tickets. I've been to many a Libera concert and have never seen such a large line of people purchasing tickets at the door.
The BBC Radio Solent interview could have made a little difference and the concert did appear on a lot of the local websites... word must have got out, and there's also the very, very reasonable ticket prices for UK concerts.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
mbbrose

Post by mbbrose »

JimmyRiddle wrote:Thanks for the concert feedback to those that were there; weather it be a detailed song-by-song analysis or just general observations its always appreciated they those who could not attend. One thing I have wondered - and also supported by a photo from Yuki on her blog - have the rules been relaxed for their rehearsals, so that Libera now allow the public to watch them freely. At previous concerts they normally request to close the doors during their pre-concert warm-up, but maybe there as been a change in this tactic?
This was something that really surprised me at the Washington DC Basilica concerts. The rehearsal for filming was open and the church was open while they rehearsed prior to filming. It was very interesting to watch, and to see all of the former members helping with tech aspects. The atmosphere seemed very relaxed, but there didn't seem to be anyone attempting to cross any lines and interfere. Most people there sat quietly or meandered around. We were not asked to leave prior to the doors opening. At the Basilica their "green room" was right around the corner from a gathering area. I ended up in the stairwell while they were all going up to practice. It was quite a sight to see them navigate the stairs...especially the ones who's robes were a bit long! :) The Libera staff are smart about it though, the boys didn't go off on their own and they moved in groups. If one needed to go somewhere, they were accompanied by one of their own.

This might be a something that happens in venues, like churches, that have other functions going on. There were services happening in the Crypt Church of the Basilica, so it couldn't be closed off. So long as people are not interfering, it seems as though they don't really mind people being there. I think it's a really neat opportunity.
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

Yorkie wrote:
Surpinto wrote:
Yorkie wrote:where people sang along to the songs or insisted on talking through Mysterium
People sang? Were these confused and elderly granny's who thought that they were at a church service? How frustrating! :(
No, the singer was not confused or elderly (and not a kid either). Three times during the concert somebody on my row had to either ask the singing to stop, shush the noise, or turn and issue a killer stare to the chattering older couple... still couldn't spoil a great show though
That's awful! I'm glad they enjoyed the music, but I blush for their lack of decorum and good breeding.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Two new photos from their time off-time in the UK around the time of these concerts.

alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

What is that gelatinous glop in the first picture? It looks like clear, coagulated jello. :?
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

alcesalcesobservator wrote:What is that gelatinous glop in the first picture? It looks like clear, coagulated jello. :?
I noticed that too. The piece in the very foreground looks like a block of ice.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Blog about their summer in the UK posted today. :D

http://www.libera.org.uk/blog/england

Seems they organized a summer camp kind of thing for them. Very cool.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Your question answered: dead jellyfish.
Does England get the stinging kind of jellyfish? The stingers can still pack a wallop after the creature is dead, or after long being cut off.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

TullyBascombe wrote: Does England get the stinging kind of jellyfish?
Yes they do. The scourge of many otherwise fine beaches.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... yfish.html
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

TullyBascombe wrote:Your question answered: dead jellyfish.
Does England get the stinging kind of jellyfish? The stingers can still pack a wallop after the creature is dead, or after long being cut off.
So I see! It sounds like the boys had a great time! Renting a boarding school (!) for a few days sounds like an amazing way to ease the very mini boys--some of whom were having their first time away from home--into the Libera "family". And the games organized by the older boys sound like a lot of fun!
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Apparently the sting of the moon jelly fish which is appearing along the coasts of southern England which is fairly mild and the tentacles are not very long. You wouldn't want to gather a bunch of kids around the washed up bodies of the types of jelly fish that appear on the Atlantic coast of the US, their sting is more toxic and their tentacles extend tens of meters.