San Diego Concert

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

dani
Diamond Member
Posts: 3086
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: London

Re: San Diego Concert

Post by dani » 2 years ago

It is a tough call as the people booking them need to make it viable so if they insist on them being there in Decemeber with such a small space time frame then they will fit In as much as they can .


It seems like a crazy time for them to be in the U.S with everything considered as if they go out on the 18th/19th Decemeber then back home for 23rd or 24th at the latest and so all that travel and turn around will mean they are tired for Christmas . It seems like a very strange move with little benefit for the boys IMO

User avatar
henrylonghorn
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: Texas, USA

Re: San Diego Concert

Post by henrylonghorn » 2 years ago

tom413 wrote:
Looking back, Libera did have a large number of concerts in North America (and elsewhere) in 2011. How successful were they back then, and did the boys struggle with the schedule?
By contrast, this December scheduling would have long distances and no breaks, combining the worst elements of those two tours.
Surpinto wrote:These kids are volunteers and constantly pulling them overseas on exhausting tours with many hours of travel between concerts cannot be best in the long term.
dani wrote: It seems like a crazy time for them to be in the U.S with everything considered as if they go out on the 18th/19th Decemeber then back home for 23rd or 24th at the latest and so all that travel and turn around will mean they are tired for Christmas . It seems like a very strange move with little benefit for the boys IMO
I see the concern here, especially considering how young the group now is. If more newbies join the next tours and end up exhausted, it could be detrimental to Libera's future.
Hark, we hear a distant music and it comes with fuller swell
’tis the glorious song of heaven and our fears it will dispel.

User avatar
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member
Posts: 391
Joined: 5 years ago

Re: San Diego Concert

Post by alcesalcesobservator » 2 years ago

From J.R. in his latest posting: "Let me use this as an opportunity to informally announce that Libera of the United States has booked The Valley View Casino Center in San Diego for July 30, 2015. This will follow the boys’ concerts in Asia. . .The venue contains 7,000 seats, with room to grow to about 17,000. I will be starting with 4,000 tickets targeted to go to the military community. These will be free tickets to military personnel and their families. I hope to see Dad, Mom and children there as well. Serving in the military is a family sacrifice, and I hope to give something back by seeing these families share an uplifting time.

I hope sponsorship comes not just from me but through another sponsor or two. But I am prepared to do it alone if I have to. I will be engaging with the military and related charities like Wounded Warriors, the USO, and others to make sure the tickets get to the right people. Another 1,000 will go to Children’s charities, including Ronald McDonald House, the Children’s Hospitals, and so forth. The remaining 2,000 tickets will be available for purchase. "


So. Valley View Casino Center, 7,000 seats. 4,000 seats to the military, 1,000 to charities. 2,000 for sale.
Image
Anybody want to get more pictures of the Casino Center up?

TullyBascombe
Platinum Member
Posts: 1366
Joined: 10 years ago

Re: San Diego Concert

Post by TullyBascombe » 2 years ago

Libera's going to be performing in casino? Will they be singing Danke Schoen?

User avatar
enjaysea
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: 2 years ago

Re: San Diego Concert

Post by enjaysea » 2 years ago

TullyBascombe wrote:Libera's going to be performing in casino? Will they be singing Danke Schoen?


The casino just has naming rights. The venue isn't part of the casino. It actually used to be called the San Diego International Sports Center.

Not that I'm a big expert. I had to ask Professor Google.

User avatar
Surpinto
Gold Member
Posts: 669
Joined: 3 years ago
Location: US
Contact:

Re: San Diego Concert

Post by Surpinto » 2 years ago

Thanks for the information everyone. Looks like they could play a hockey game there after the Libera show :roll: lol. Joking aside, I hope it is indeed a successful event and that those who are going give us a full report. With only about two and a half months to formally announce and fill that enormous venue I hope JR can pull it off. The concert isn't even posted at the ticketing website for the venue, let alone on the official Libera website.

I have checked my calendar and it is remotely possible that I could go, but the flight there is not cheap and I am coming back from a week long conference a few days before that event and expect to be completely exhausted. The only concert I will absolutely be able to make this year is Connecticut. It had better not be cancelled; I've been burned twice by cancellations already.

Image

User avatar
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member
Posts: 391
Joined: 5 years ago

Re: San Diego Concert

Post by alcesalcesobservator » 2 years ago

It looks more like a football field. I wonder how the acoustics are-- probably in a venue that size, not so good. I guess they'll need a good mic system.

User avatar
john45
Silver Member
Posts: 471
Joined: 8 years ago
Location: Canada

Re: San Diego Concert

Post by john45 » 2 years ago

alcesalcesobservator wrote:It looks more like a football field. I wonder how the acoustics are-- probably in a venue that size, not so good. I guess they'll need a good mic system.
It's a hockey arena. The acoustics would no doubt be good enough for a rock concert, but probably not suited to Libera's unique sound.
There is also talk on the blogs of a guest artist, audience participation and possible inclusion of "Surfing USA" in the program! Yikes!!

User avatar
fan_de_LoK
Platinum Member
Posts: 1909
Joined: 8 years ago
Location: Paris

Re: San Diego Concert

Post by fan_de_LoK » 2 years ago

I don't understand why Robert lets the group to go in that direction and to such inadequate venues... :?

User avatar
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member
Posts: 2057
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: Riddler's Creek

Re: San Diego Concert

Post by JimmyRiddle » 2 years ago

For the pure concert experience the mood, staging and atmosphere is finely tuned to the repertoire that Libera sings. Although it has to be commendable that 1000's of tickets are going to military and charities, I'm not sure this large venue concert would match the intimate feelings you experience from their Cathedral/Church concerts. The ambient noise levels from 7,000+ people under one cavernous roof would be distracting in itself. Maybe it will be more of a charity gala, than a standalone concert.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez

User avatar
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member
Posts: 391
Joined: 5 years ago

Re: San Diego Concert

Post by alcesalcesobservator » 2 years ago

john45 wrote:
alcesalcesobservator wrote:It looks more like a football field. I wonder how the acoustics are-- probably in a venue that size, not so good. I guess they'll need a good mic system.
It's a hockey arena. The acoustics would no doubt be good enough for a rock concert, but probably not suited to Libera's unique sound.
There is also talk on the blogs of a guest artist, audience participation and possible inclusion of "Surfing USA" in the program! Yikes!!
I tremble to ask-- what is "Surfing USA"? I await your answer with bated breath and knotted stomach.

User avatar
john45
Silver Member
Posts: 471
Joined: 8 years ago
Location: Canada

Re: San Diego Concert

Post by john45 » 2 years ago

alcesalcesobservator wrote:
john45 wrote:
alcesalcesobservator wrote:It looks more like a football field. I wonder how the acoustics are-- probably in a venue that size, not so good. I guess they'll need a good mic system.
It's a hockey arena. The acoustics would no doubt be good enough for a rock concert, but probably not suited to Libera's unique sound.
There is also talk on the blogs of a guest artist, audience participation and possible inclusion of "Surfing USA" in the program! Yikes!!
I tremble to ask-- what is "Surfing USA"? I await your answer with bated breath and knotted stomach.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s4slliAtQU

User avatar
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member
Posts: 391
Joined: 5 years ago

Re: San Diego Concert

Post by alcesalcesobservator » 2 years ago

john45 wrote:
It's a hockey arena. The acoustics would no doubt be good enough for a rock concert, but probably not suited to Libera's unique sound.
There is also talk on the blogs of a guest artist, audience participation and possible inclusion of "Surfing USA" in the program! Yikes!!
I tremble to ask-- what is "Surfing USA"? I await your answer with bated breath and knotted stomach.[/quote]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s4slliAtQU[/quote]

I can never unhear that. No. Just no. Please tell me that it is all unfounded speculation!

User avatar
john45
Silver Member
Posts: 471
Joined: 8 years ago
Location: Canada

Re: San Diego Concert

Post by john45 » 2 years ago

alcesalcesobservator wrote: I can never unhear that. No. Just no. Please tell me that it is all unfounded speculation!
In the blog "Sometimes you just need to Laugh"

Reply

John Rexroad says:
April 20, 2015 at 3:16 pm

Route 66, hmm, I don’t know that one. I’ll pass along that suggestion. But as a Beach Boys fan and I know some of the Boys met Brian Wilson at the Kennedy Center Honors when they performed Love and Mercy, I’ll hope for a Beach Boys song. As a boy that grew up in Southern California, good old Redondo Beach I’d love Surfin’ USA. How many have their hometown in a Beach boys song? Or maybe Mama’s and Papa’s California Dreaming.

You never know. I’m still pushing for Bridge Over Troubled Waters. I mean is Libera not a Bridge Over Troubled Waters for so many?


Sometimes you just need to cry.

User avatar
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member
Posts: 391
Joined: 5 years ago

Re: San Diego Concert

Post by alcesalcesobservator » 2 years ago

john45 wrote:
alcesalcesobservator wrote: I can never unhear that. No. Just no. Please tell me that it is all unfounded speculation!
In the blog "Sometimes you just need to Laugh"

Reply

John Rexroad says:
April 20, 2015 at 3:16 pm

Route 66, hmm, I don’t know that one. I’ll pass along that suggestion. But as a Beach Boys fan and I know some of the Boys met Brian Wilson at the Kennedy Center Honors when they performed Love and Mercy, I’ll hope for a Beach Boys song. As a boy that grew up in Southern California, good old Redondo Beach I’d love Surfin’ USA. How many have their hometown in a Beach boys song? Or maybe Mama’s and Papa’s California Dreaming.

You never know. I’m still pushing for Bridge Over Troubled Waters. I mean is Libera not a Bridge Over Troubled Waters for so many?


Sometimes you just need to cry.
At least "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" is a pretty song. "Surfin' USA" ought to be left alone, IMO. On a separate note, if JR wants Libera to go big in America and gain publicity and whatnot, why not arrange for them to back someone like Jackie Evancho?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests