San Diego Concert

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

San Diego Concert

Post by Surpinto »

In a response post to a comment on the Libera.org blog JR has announced a concert in San Diego for July 30, 2015. This must be an enormous venue as he was saying in a different blog post that it will seat 10,000. Interestingly he is now saying that 4,000 tickets will go to members of the armed services, whereas before it was 5,000; could be a typo or a genuine change. However, he states that the concert has been booked. Anyone have any idea what the venue is?
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Re: San Diego Concert

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

Wow. J.R. sure is a mover and shaker. :shock: I wonder if the boys will get tired of coming to America?
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Yeah, no kidding! By the way, alcesalcesobservator, I like your new avatar :). Is that computer generated or an actual clay model?
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Surpinto wrote:Yeah, no kidding! By the way, alcesalcesobservator, I like your new avatar :). Is that computer generated or an actual clay model?
Thanks! I think it's an actual clay model, but I don't know for sure, since the image isn't mine.
henrylonghorn

Post by henrylonghorn »

Mr. Rexroad has re-mentioned the San Diego concert and more precisely numbered the seats to 7,000+. This will be only four days after a concert in Korea.
Hark, we hear a distant music and it comes with fuller swell
’tis the glorious song of heaven and our fears it will dispel.

Concerts attended: 8 | Last concert: NYC (2023)

https://twitter.com/HenryLiberaBlog
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOluil ... dUezvPVhDA
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Anybody have any guesses as to where he might be planning this show?
My guess was the Sleep Train Amphitheatre http://www.sleeptrainamphitheatre.net/
but it seats a bit more than 7000.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Does anyone know what has been the greatest attendance at a Libera concert?
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

TullyBascombe wrote:Does anyone know what has been the greatest attendance at a Libera concert?
Largest audience would be at Yankee stadium - but that wasn't a full concert.

Largest concert audience would probably be at the PICC in Manila which seats up to 4000.
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

henrylonghorn wrote:Mr. Rexroad has re-mentioned the San Diego concert and more precisely numbered the seats to 7,000+. This will be only four days after a concert in Korea.
The boys are going to be knackered! With all the jet setting, I wouldn't be surprised to see the tour group get smaller or have less regulars. Afterall, the boys do have family obligations and can't spend every holiday away from home.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

alcesalcesobservator wrote:
henrylonghorn wrote:Mr. Rexroad has re-mentioned the San Diego concert and more precisely numbered the seats to 7,000+. This will be only four days after a concert in Korea.
The boys are going to be knackered! With all the jet setting, I wouldn't be surprised to see the tour group get smaller or have less regulars. Afterall, the boys do have family obligations and can't spend every holiday away from home.
Yes, a very demanding schedule.
The December concerts have now also been slated for consecutive days at venues 500 miles apart.
I can't help wondering if the current push for fame and fortune might perhaps be misguided.
henrylonghorn

Post by henrylonghorn »

john45 wrote:
alcesalcesobservator wrote:
Yes, a very demanding schedule.
The December concerts have now also been slated for consecutive days at venues 500 miles apart.
I can't help wondering if the current push for fame and fortune might perhaps be misguided.
Looking back, Libera did have a large number of concerts in North America (and elsewhere) in 2011. How successful were they back then, and did the boys struggle with the schedule?
Hark, we hear a distant music and it comes with fuller swell
’tis the glorious song of heaven and our fears it will dispel.

Concerts attended: 8 | Last concert: NYC (2023)

https://twitter.com/HenryLiberaBlog
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOluil ... dUezvPVhDA
jennaluvspbr
Gold Member

Post by jennaluvspbr »

San Diego will be good for the boys there is so much they can do there I was there a bout a month a go and its hot there the foods are amazing libera will like it and enjoy the time I just hope I can see them it can be amazing for thhem
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Looking back, Libera did have a large number of concerts in North America (and elsewhere) in 2011. How successful were they back then, and did the boys struggle with the schedule?

I attended all of those 2011 shows in North America. Those tours were set up much differently than they are right now.
In 2011 Libera flew to a destination and rented a coach for all land travel. In Canada, all of the locations were fairly close to one another, a few hours
drive at most. There was a stretch of three days in a row of concerts, but the short distances between venues allowed for a more leisurely pace than is possible under the current plan. The 2011 USA tour covered a wide distance from Minnesota to Texas, but the concerts were spaced out with plenty of time in between one another. Both of these approaches; short distances with not many breaks in between and long distances with many days off, didn't seem to affect the quality of the performances or the enthusiasm of the participants.

By contrast, this December scheduling would have long distances and no breaks, combining the worst elements of those two tours.
Looking at the school term dates for next year, I see why the December 18th date had to go, it's the last day of school before Christmas break. Moving the Connecticut date to the 19th will make it possible for the kids to be there, but they could be tired considering they will be going from school straight to the airport and then flying all night.
To get to Pittsburgh for the next concert, they will either need to do an overnight coach ride or get up very early in the morning to fly. Southwest doesn't have any direct flights from Hartford. so they're looking at needing a connecting flight as well. Ideally they'd like to arrive in Pittsburgh in time for their pre-concert routine, which means the group should be at the theatre between 3:00 and 4:00pm.

As I envision it, this schedule seems rather hectic. If my guesses are fairly on target, all of the rush could negatively impact the quality of the performances, which would defeat the purpose of coming over in the first place. I hope that my suppositions are incorrect or that further adjustments are made to the schedule.
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

tom413 wrote:

As I envision it, this schedule seems rather hectic. If my guesses are fairly on target, all of the rush could negatively impact the quality of the performances, which would defeat the purpose of coming over in the first place. I hope that my suppositions are incorrect or that further adjustments are made to the schedule.
Well put. The boys really value their free time, as evidenced by their blogs, which spend more time detailing activities than concerts. We may already have seen some burn out in the Atlanta concert, which was generally reported to be low energy--not that the boys didn't perform well as usual, but that they all seemed exhausted. I hope this all works out.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

I would have to agree with the concerns noted about their scheduling. These kids are volunteers and constantly pulling them overseas on exhausting tours with many hours of travel between concerts cannot be best in the long term. It's understood that sometimes certain schedules are not going to be ideal, but I hope that it doesn't negatively impact the choristers' or their families' desire to continue in the choir.