Arundel 2014

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

paul
Site Admin

Re: Arundel concert anounced

Post by paul »

So the queue is forming nicely here at Arundel. Maybe 30 now in the queue. More than 1 hour to go until the doors open. I expect the song list will be that of the USA, again I probably will be wrong as I thought they may drop the American songs, but those more knowledgable than me say this is unlikely. Whatever it's going to be a great concert. I have so much more time on this occasion so I'm going to attempt an accurate detailed review, so watch this space :)
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

I'm looking forward to reading it. :)
mbbrose

Post by mbbrose »

Can't wait to read about it!
Sigi

Re: Arundel 2014

Post by Sigi »

So some of you are back from the concert? Pleaaaaase tell us about!!!! Why do you wait??? Did you collect enough of the dust, they were walking on, so you can give it to us all who had to stay at home?? Or are you all still lying at the floor of the cathedral, so you can't write????
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

I was waiting for someone else to go first, but the short term memory is going so I had better get a few words down for those unlucky enough to have missed this gem. Long term memory is somewhat better and this, my fourth Arundel concert, made me recall my first Arundel concert in 2009. None of the 2014 performers was present in 2009.

2009 featured such luminaries as Josh Madine (about six solos I think), Ben Philipp, Liam Connery, Ed Day, Stefan Leadbetter etc. Highlight for me then was Ed Day's "Mysterium" which I don't believe has ever been bettered - equalled, maybe. Fond memory is of a very young Kavana giggling during his speech. Who would have thought he would become Libera's most articulate and principal spokesman. I believe 2009 was also Tom Cully's last appearance in a white robe.

Well, a review of the 2014 Arundel concert is quite easy really. Just read the accolades that have been written about the 2014 Spring US Tour and multiply by 150%. Then add the Cathedral acoustics, the ambience, the imaginative lighting - and there you have it.

Set list was exactly the same. Participants and soloists were the same except for the absence of Dylan. Bertie did the Sanctus descant very competently and also the final Sanctus - though this time it was "Sanctus,sanctus". Henry was also absent, which meant extra work for Eoghan and Matthew RA. Mustn't forget the three Newbies: Rocco Tesei, Mark U-R and and James Menezes who contributed nicely to a limited number of songs.

In 2009 the accompaniment consisted of keyboard and violin. In 2014 we had keyboards, string quintet, clarinet, flute, recorder, French horn and percussion. Program in 2009 was a folded A4 sheet. Program in 2014 was a glossy eight page illustrated booklet with autographed copies available.

All in all a wonderful evening well appreciated by the almost full house which give two enthusiastic standing ovations.

Thanks Libera.
Sigi

Post by Sigi »

Thanx for you report! And...was it allowed to take some fotos? Maybe while standing ovations? :mrgreen:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Thanks for the write up John.

As your memory is failing can I remind you that you owe me £20 still ;-)
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Thanks John!

These writeups are the next best thing to being there. :)
Horticult2000

Post by Horticult2000 »

Amie has my report in the Libera timeline, you can read it there if you like.
Johan
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Could you post a link Johan?

I'd like to read it.
Horticult2000

Post by Horticult2000 »

tom413 wrote:Could you post a link Johan?

I'd like to read it.
Here is the link: http://libera-historicaltimelinepart7.blogspot.nl/

I do not know exactly where it brings you, but what you want is the end of part 7.

Johan
Karppoo

Post by Karppoo »

Hello!

Back in Finland and home (yesterday evening).
Here is some higlihts what I noticed.

First of all. I'd like Arundel and Arundel Cathedral very much. So cosy and beautiful place. I have never been there before.
Concert venue was quite small, but still some empty places? Before concert I met very first time Paul and I think he was with Patrick?

There is song list (copy from Mini-Angels blog, thank you Lexi) and my opinion after every songs.

1. Joyful, Joyful - very good start to concert. I think this is quite new song to me.
2. Sanctus - last "Sanctus" by Bertie - always very beautiful song and choir stands as always in this song. Bertie was brilliant.
3. Song of Life - solo by Isaac - I like this song in when I heard it from cd, but I think live version is quite confused? Isaac's voice fits really great to the song.
4. Voca Me - last "Voca Me" by Ciaran & Matthew J. - Superb! On of the best Libera songs ever! And Ciaran / Matthew were brilliants! This song is best in live!
5. Amazing Grace - solo by Ciaran - Ciarans voice fits to the song very nicely.
6. Ave Maria - solo by Tom - Just awesome! Gorgeous Tom sang with this song to one of the best ever solo singers in Libera! Amazingly good presentation about so youg boy! Thank you, Tom.
7. Salva Me - high "Salva's" by Alex M. - This is very good song to hear live. So nice to listen to high notes.
8. How Can I Keep From Singing - This song has so beautiful melodia and Libera sing it perfect.
9. Hymn to Mary - solo by Isaac - Isaac is so good Singer. I like him voice so much.
10. How Shall I Sing That Majesty - solo by Lucas & Alessandro - In many times this song is the last song on the firts half of concert. Nice to go to the interval.

- Interval -

11. Dies Irae - solo by Ciaran - So mysterious. A good start for the second half period. This time, the boys did not walk the corridor from the back to the front.
12. Gloria in Excelsis - This Song continued without a break. These two songs also fits very well together.
13. Orinoco Flow- What to say about this song? Great song - And Libera's version is brilliant. Good choreography as always in this song.
14. Dreaming of Home - This is very good new song. Hope to hear it on cd sometimes? Was it in Guildford first time?
15. How Great Thou Art - solo by Sam - Great Sam! I think it was now the fist time when I heard his solo? This song is one of the best hyms ever! I like Elvis P. very much and his version is brilliant. But Libera's version was very different. Absolutely so good. Thank you RP!
16. Stay With Me - solo by Alessandro, Lucas, Cassius - Nice to hear this song By three soloist. Great song and hand movements.
17. Wayfaring Stranger - solo by Sam - I have never heard this song before. And I can't remember about this song anything, only that Sam sang the solo...
18. Glory to Thee - solo by Tom - so nice....
19. Exultate - solo by Tom - I always think that this song is best when it is sang by "mini" Ben. But Tom is quite as good as Ben in this song.
Encore: What a Wonderful World - solo by Isaac - Thank you Isaac! And RP ! So great version of this quite well known song? If this version were shown at one of the BBC's or similar other major TV channel, then all would love this! So awesome and brilliant song to end the concert.

The best songs of the Concert: Voca Me, How Great Thou Art, What a Wonderfull World, Ave Maria....and many more... hard to say?
Thank you Libera. This was my fift concert. (3 x London 2011- 2012 - 2013, 1 x Guildford 2013, 1 x Arundel 2014). Hope to see Libera soon. Sorry my bad English... :wink:
Sigi

Post by Sigi »

Whow, thanks for your reports and links! Do you think, this concert once will be available as a video?
Horticult2000

Post by Horticult2000 »

Sigi wrote:Whow, thanks for your reports and links! Do you think, this concert once will be available as a video?
The sound may have been recorded, but there were no cameras during the concert. Only one camera went in during the rehersals, but that may have been a local affair. The concerts at St. George in London are usually recorded, but so far nothing came out to the public.
Johan
Sigi

Post by Sigi »

I wonder why. If they just would have a standing camera, I would buy the video. And to be honest: I really would be interested to watch rehearsals, just to see, how Mr. Prizemann works, and to see, how much work it might be for the boys and him. But you normally cant see those things.