Official USA 2014 Tour

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

tom413
Gold Member

Re: Official USA 2014 Tour

Post by tom413 »

Your first concert. How cool is that?! I remember my first show back in 2008. It's
a much more polished production now than it was then, but the quality of the
singing has been fairly constant throughout.

From what I was told, third row at Mayo should be very good seating.

I'm not optimistic about I Am The Day being performed, it' s been several
years since that one was done live. However old songs are brought back to life
all the time on these tours. There's no telling (until Tuesday) what is in store for us.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

"Robert has prepared some new surprises, which I believe will really delight the audiences."

Steven Philipp
mbbrose

Post by mbbrose »

tom413 wrote:Your first concert. How cool is that?! I remember my first show back in 2008. It's

all the time on these tours. There's no telling (until Tuesday) what is in store for us.
:D :D :D :D I'm excited to see the progress that has come with this new "cohort" of Libera. I love how the group is constantly evolving, but that the older ones move onto support roles. Great dynamic. and as for I am the Day, I don't see it happening either. The fact that I saw on a blog about a "best of" type CD being released in Asia titled I am the Day kind of got my hopes up, but it was probably a title a company chose. I'm just partial to that song because the first time I watched, that was the song that left me like this: :shock: :shock: :shock: but in a good way.

As for the seats, I'm pumped! I am rather short so I'm hoping they'll be good. Many times I end up looking at the backs of heads.

Perhaps I should bring a booster seat...hah. :wink:
mbbrose

Post by mbbrose »

john45 wrote:"Robert has prepared some new surprises, which I believe will really delight the audiences."

Steven Philipp

Very excited to see that is in store! I know it will be a memorable event regardless.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

mbbrose wrote:
tom413 wrote:Your first concert. How cool is that?! I remember my first show back in 2008. It's

:D :D :D :D I'm excited to see the progress that has come with this new "cohort" of Libera. I love how the group is constantly evolving, but that the older ones move onto support roles. Great dynamic. and as for I am the Day, I don't see it happening either. The fact that I saw on a blog about a "best of" type CD being released in Asia titled I am the Day kind of got my hopes up, but it was probably a title a company chose. I'm just partial to that song because the first time I watched, that was the song that left me like this: :shock: :shock: :shock: but in a good way.

As for the seats, I'm pumped! I am rather short so I'm hoping they'll be good. Many times I end up looking at the backs of heads.

Perhaps I should bring a booster seat...hah. :wink:
Just be glad your not stuck behind me!

Make sure you introduce yourself to Tom, John, Patrick, Lauren, Yuki et al - it's all part of the experience to meet with other fans and they'll look after you. Just don't believe anything they tell you about me (especially not the umbrella story).
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
mbbrose

Post by mbbrose »

wasn't there a concert tonight? the LIbera by Candlelight in NYC. Did anyone get to that one? I would be curious to hear what they've got in store for tomorrow!!! ahhhh it's like the night before christmas I can't sleep! too excited for tomorrow night

I know there are a few blogs that people write that seem to be rather up to date but I haven't kept up with what they are called...ooops. any suggestions on blogs to follow in addition to this forum?
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Mini Angels by Lauren & Lexi - you'll meet them tomorrow. Lots of info on Twitter about last night...

Mercy & Love
mbbrose

Post by mbbrose »

Yorkie wrote:Mini Angels by Lauren & Lexi - you'll meet them tomorrow. Lots of info on Twitter about last night...

great! thank you!
mbbrose

Post by mbbrose »

I saw a picture of the program and was curious about the new titles so i looked some up on youtube. perhaps RP has arranged some existing pieces for libera.

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

This sounds like something libera would do.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

mbbrose wrote:I saw a picture of the program and was curious about the new titles so i looked some up on youtube. perhaps RP has arranged some existing pieces for libera.

This sounds like something libera would do.
Yes, it's the same song (as you probably know by now).
Last edited by Yorkie on Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Headlines from the NYC concert:

24 boys
1. Marc Alvares
2. Shay Balsekar
3. Henry Barrington
4. Ciaran Bradbury-Hickey
5. Gabriel Collins
6. Timothy Lee
7. Thomas Delgado-Little
8. Dylan Duffy
9. Ben Fairman
10. Alex Gula
11. Matthew Jansen
12. Isaac London
13. Matthew Madine
14. Eoghan McCarthy
15. Alessandro MacKinnon-Botti
16. Michael Menezes
17. Alex Montoro
18. Kuba Niedermaier-Reed
19. Cassius O'Connell-White
20 Matthew Rangel-Alvares
21. Bertie Smart
22. Camden Stewart
23. Sam Wiggin
24. Lucas Wood

Set list
1. Joyful, Joyful - NEW SONG
2. Sanctus
3. Song of Life
4. Voca Me
5. Amazing Grace
6. Ave Maria
7. Salva Me
8. How Can I Keep From Singing?
9. Hymn to Mary -
10. How Shall I Sing That Majesty?
11. Dies Irae
12. Gloria In Excelsis
13. Orinoco Flow
14. Dreaming of Home
15. How Great Thou Art
16. Stay With Me
17. Wayfaring Stranger
18. Glory to Thee
19. Exultate
Encore: What a Wonderful World

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Fan_de_LoK has posted a review on the French sister forum, Libera Passion, and has given permission for me to repost it here (using Google translate for you non Francophone's - but he accepts no responsibility for Google's accuracy!).

Well, I finished my suitcase, let's go for some souvenir of the concert while supplies last Smile
As I did not take written notes, it will be memory, so sketchy and potentially error-prone ...

Regarding singers, not really new since 3 additions of this tour were mini-boys St George,
+ Shay Balsekar,
+ Timothy Lee,
+ Camden Stewart,

And we note the absence of four names:
- Anthony Blake,
- Jude Collins,
- Kavana Crossley,
- Carlos Rodriguez,

In the presentation speech choir, the youngest was quoted as Alex Gulla (8 years) and Dean Henry (14 years).
Cassius was the speaker introduced himself as being very old (laughter in the church) as it is entered in the choir at the age of 7 years and it was there 5 years ago. He presented Isaac as a "middle-age" (laughter in the church) from the top of its 11 years.

Regarding the songs,
Joyful Joyful is the Ode to Joy, the European anthem, Beethoven's 9th.
Everyone here knew immediately what song it was, Joyful Joyful lyrics speak to everyone, but on my side I could not associate words to this song.
'Gloria in Excelsis' is not a novelty, it's the classic 'Gloria' as sung in concerts for years.
Wayfaring Stranger, Amazing Grace, How Great Thou Art and Ave Maria are new or returns.

Small number of viewers, I evaluated 200 maximum. Compositions varied enough, people of the parish, locals, U.S. come from afar, and some foreigners including Indonesians came in a group, at least 4 Europeans, Canadians, at least 4 Japanese.

Atmosphere and lighting:
The lights were quite different from previous concerts. It was a concert "By Candlelight" (light candles). Many candles were placed around behind the boys and many chandeliers were lit, it gave a nice warm Smile
As far as I remember the boys were lit exclusively white, with varying intensities depending on the songs or stanzas sung. Behind them there were shades of colors projected onto the alcove and the arch framing the altar but with intensities much more sober and tenuous than usual.

The boys have sung from the ground in front of the first pews. The raised stage of the altar could not be used, already close and occupied in part by the keyboard of the organ.
The first ranks had a good view of the choir because they were near us but the view was obstructed be enough for people behind ....

On the left a cello, 3 violins, a percussionist with many instruments, on the right a flute, a horn, one that I could not see, then Josh and Steven with keyboards.

Joyful Joyful started by an unknown intro me and the first words OK, it is the Ode to Joy. No particular soloist as far as I remember, it was sung in chorus with some harmonies and high notes. They were arranged in two rows in a circular arc.

The first song was not chained to the second as usual, then there was applause.

Sanctus
Very classic, song lighthouse. Dylan always long for harmony that accompanies the verses "Benedictus" and Tom for the high notes growing chorus.
Note that the final "Saaaanctuuuuss" was sung by Bertie Smart ... so it was back instead of Matthew J. Bertie had not appeared on stage since a year after the Taiwan-Korea 2013 tour.

Speech, Ben and Cassius I think, to present the choir, the youngest, the oldest. They finished with Isaac (age 11) who stood behind them, and came forward to the next song.

Solo Song of Life by Isaac
He stood in the center front of the stage.

Voca Me No lights in black light, not spectacular visual effects, since Candlelight Smile
Tom has set back behind the other on the steps of the stage of the altar and sang all the high flown.

Amazing Grace For me my first great moment of emotion.
If I remember correctly they are again arranged in two arcs, hands behind his back.
The song was cut 4 parts. The first is sung by the whole choir in perfect unison, with an intensity any shower, and the words that come over there, believe me emotion take you by the throat. A second even sweeter, with some singers on the words and others who are behind long oouuuuoouu harmonies and different instruments part, especially violins, join the piano and gives emphasis. Third party with Ciaran who makes one or two steps forward and sings a few lines as a soloist with piano accompaniment, and finally an energetic final with all the choir and instruments.

Speech From Ciaran who continued on his previous solo Advanced, and Cassius.
This was partly the speech on white dresses as worn by monks and hood, but the joke hood folded up to the chin

Ave Maria (Schubert) Solo Tom.
Tom sang the first part alone, in the center, facing the audience, accompanied by instruments.
For the second part Tom was always the soloist, the others were accompanied by harmonies
Sweet and powerful voice of Tom works wonders on this song Very Happy
Everyone sang along Amen final by letting decrease slowly.

Salva Me
High flights were sung by one of the new, I'm not sure of myself, I think it was Alex Montoro. It was located on the steps behind the other, like Tom on Voca Me
On this song I remember being shocked by anything, it is the pervasive this battery.
Yes, the percussionist played drums and powerful, bass drum and cymbals and all. To my taste it was disproportionate and harmful to the song. I hope he will mute tomorrow.

How can I keep From Singing
Sung by the choir, not solo on this song it seems

Speech by the two smallest of the group, Alex Gula and Gabriel, who came to place before the two small microphones center. Speech about having to learn a lot, lyrics, travel, etc..
They concluded with Isaac on the next song.

Hymn to Mary Solo by Isaac.
Isaac came to stand in front of the two small microphones, far ahead of the public Smile (We suspected a little, we had noticed a mark on the ground before starting Wink )
Isaac sang alone, accompanied by instruments, but without the participation of others.
I did not know the song and I had difficulty holding I admit. I'll have to hear again, I know nothing you say Embarassed

How Shall I Sing That Majesty
Two boys came to stand in front of the center, turned 3/4. To the left I do not know Embarassed (Alessandro perhaps), right Lucas. The other arcuate around.
Energetic song to mark the end of the first part.
Each of the two sang a solo verses and choruses by the whole choir course.

The intermission was short. CDs and DVDs are available for sale, as well as programs, small posters ...

Dies Irae Solo Ciaran
They came from both sides of the stage and are stored in double chevrons, with Ciaran in the \ center \. / /
Ciaran sang the first verse alone. I remember that it was supported by Matthew J was a time but I do not know since when Ciaran alone (plus solo Matthew at the concert, by the way).
Each return of the chorus, the rank of a step behind and form a line supervisor Ciaran \. /
On the second verse there were several singing with Ciaran, 4 or 5 but do not ask me that Wink

On the chorus there is usually an intense red light that pops to mark the day of wrath, the Dies Irae, but then because of the atmosphere Candlelight, red was little support and indeed quite attenuated.

Gloria chained continuously with Dies Irae.
Tom (I think) for high sustained notes.

Speech Alessandro and Cassius (I think) to present the Moose mascot.

Orinoco Flow Layout usual: they are divided into 5 groups and stand in two rows. A group in the center, two on each side. The movement of live bands always makes me think of moving vessels sandstone waves (lyrics) Smile

Dreaming of home
Sung by the whole choir, with high notes at the end, it seems to me Tom.

How Great Thou Art Solo Sam Wiggin on the first verse.

Speech Ciaran who presented the sketch of vocal exercises and scales sung to warm up the voice, always with a good response of the public who applauded at each stage.

Stay with me always available in two rows aligned facing the audience, and slow hand movements that cross and uncross front and back.
Tom stood behind and made the high notes.
Note that the lyrics usually sung solo by Cassius lately have been by other. If I remember correctly, there was Alessandro located on the far left, followed by Lucas located a little to the right. Cassius it was always at the center of the first row and sang the latest "Stay with me".

Wayfaring Stranger
according to it was explained to me it is very well known in the USA song, a Negro Spiritual.
Solo: Sam Wiggin.
Sam was just before the center of the scene, the other forming a large arc framing behind.
Sam sang the first verse alone, almost a cappella with just sustained notes behind him.

On the second verse, part of the choir sang with Sam while others doing harmonies. On the third verse everyone sang power then Sam finished only on the last sentence.
Sam's deep voice is great on this song Smile
I hope it will not be restricted to the USA and they sing in Arundel Smile
A Youtube video like me who did not know the song:

Glory to Thee Solo by Tom
, who took over that previous Eoghan sang.
They are always cut into 5 groups based on stage, hands clasped in prayer. On the final gun is always the cutting 8. Knowing a few words can track where each group is Smile

Speech Ben who thanked the audience and announced the last song.

Exultate Solo by Tom. Robert always makes the flutterings and big smiles on his chair so that his singers give the bouncing energy to the song.

Reminder after sustained applause and standing ovation

What a Wonderful World Solo by Isaac.
first verse sung alone, with instruments accompaniments, then gradually the choir joined him.
It was not just a recitation of words, there were many carvings of early phrases sung by the choir and ended with superb Isaac alone, bridges vocals and harmonies! Isaac and finished alone as he had begun.

A new lot of applause Smile

A very successful concert Smile

No Meet & Greet, the church was not necessarily the place to afford it and it should not be either too late they go to bed because tomorrow is new day together! Very Happy

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Lexi and Lauren have updated their blog with a review of last nights concert:

Mini-Angels NYC review

Mercy & Love
mbbrose

Post by mbbrose »

Just crossed the state line into New Jersey!!! Seeing all of these updates are making me even more excited for my first concert!...and also taking the sting off of all these turnpike toll fees... :D
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Back home in the boonies, having survived an exploding tire (that's a tyre, Yorkie) in Worcester, Massachusetts and a close encounter with a Moose (not the cuddly kind) near Bangor, Maine, it's time to reflect on two more outstanding Libera concerts. Lauren and Patrick have provided all the details of the program ( that's programme Yorkie) and the participants, so no need to repeat .

The concert had a distinctly American flavour. "Amazing Grace" has never been a favourite of mine but Libera's interpretation has changed all that - especially the penultimate verse sung with such intense emotion by Ciarin.

It was wonderful to hear more of Sam's rich and expressive voice. Like Ralph before him he has great range. Both "How Great thou Art" and "Wayfaring Stranger" emphasized the mellow tones of his lower range - but as he demonstrated a week earlier at the St. Philip's Passiontide service (and also at the latter part of "How Great…" ) his high register is equally impressive.

What can one say about Isaac? Always full of surprises. Just as he blew us all away with "Danny Boy" in Seoul and "Hymn to Mary" in Manila, he knocks us for six with "What a Wonderful world" in New York City. How can a perfect voice get better? I can assure you it does.

Then there were the voices heard solo (at a concert) for the first time. Alessandro imparts his delightful personality into his very pleasing voice in "Stay With Me". Alex Montaro joins the illustrious list of "Salve Me" soloists (including Liam Connery, Matthew R-A, and Michael U-R). We also hear for the first time from Bertie (nice to see him back) accompanying Dylan for the final Sanctus.

Lauren mentions reflecting on Daniel when hearing "Stay with Me". For me, in many ways it will always be Daniel's song, but such is the genius of RP that a slight adaptation can make it different but equally enjoyable. Well done Cassius, Lucas and Alessandro.

I think I could detect a hint of wistfulness in Eoghan's smile as Thomas D-L opened "Glory to Thee". Who could forget the crystal quality of Eoghan's treble voice in its prime - but who could wish for a more able successor than Thomas D-L ?

Thomas once again excelled. He contributed to almost every song with his descant skills. His solo of the very difficult Schubert's "Ave Maria" was outstanding. His control in the solo part of "I'm Dreaming…" never ceases to amaze.

As usual, the speeches were all delivered perfectly and with great confidence. They are a very important way of connecting with the audience - and the audiences clearly connected, applauding enthusiastically. Special mention goes to the eight year olds, Alex and Gabe. Can you imagine yourself at eight years old standing in a spotlight before an audience of over six hundred total strangers and delivering from memory a speech of several lines word perfectly?

This has been a cherry picking reflection, and though not every boy has been mentioned it should be remembered that every concert is very much a team effort and all are worthy of congratulations.

Thanks to all.
Last edited by john45 on Sun May 11, 2014 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.