Official USA 2014 Tour

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Re: USA Spring Tour 2014

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

According to Amie Hill, the posters are out. I can't say as I particularly like the one shown, esp. the "Mean Streets of South London" bit.
http://libera-historicaltimelinepart7.blogspot.com/
dani
Diamond Member

Re: Official USA 2014 Tour

Post by dani »

What is going on with this tour ....

Libera have cancelled the show in Keswick and some other shows are also cancelled

From the site

We regret to inform you that the performance of LIBERA, originally scheduled for here on THURS., APR. 17, has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances. This was one of several theater dates scheduled for their brief American tour, and most of the others have unfortunately also been cancelled.
We regret any disappointment or inconvenience this may cause, and very much appreciate your patronage.
Lauren
Silver Member

Post by Lauren »

Keswick also sent out an e-mail to ticket buyers. The concert was cancelled due to lack of time to sell tickets. All ticket purchasers can apply for a refund.
http://www.mini-angels.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Just announced on official website http://www.libera.org.uk/news/spring_tour_update3

Red Bank and Philadelphia concerts cancelled but Mayo still goes ahead and another concert to be arranged in NYC.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
kay
Silver Member

Post by kay »

What terrible news for those who were able to get to the cancelled venues. Let us hope the remaining venues stay in tact.
I Listen To the Music Of Angels
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Very big shame but on the plus side I guess it means the boys get more down time to enjoy themselves.

This is pure speculation on my part and I don't want to upset anybody but I wonder if the reason was down to lack of ticket sales? last time I checked there weren't many sold and I'm assuming that the cost of hiring theatres(theaters to those who insist in dumbing down English :D ) means that they just can't afford to sing to an empty house. Alternatively, I wonder if somebody was supposed to sponsor the cost of the cancelled concerts but pulled out at the last minute?

I suspect the New York venue will be a church and I would guess that they would be cheaper to hire.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
phineaspgage

Post by phineaspgage »

This is heart-breaking! I was booked for all three. Although it took some major rescheduling to get off from work that week, I looked forward to bringing my 81 year old father to the Red Bank show. He lives within a mile of the venue. I was to stay with him to make the (solo) trip to Morristown, then stop in Philadelphia on my way home. With two of three canceled I cannot justify the trip, and without more lead time I have no hope of attending later shows.

I'm sorry to complain; its just such a personal letdown. I guess I'm feeling sorry for myself. I am trusting that everything is okay with Libera, else the Morristown show would not be going on.

Does anyone know why Libera schedules so many events close to the last minute? I'm happy to drive 1000 miles to see them (2800 for four shows and a church appearance on their last US tour), but I need some lead time.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

phineaspgage wrote: Does anyone know why Libera schedules so many events close to the last minute? I'm happy to drive 1000 miles to see them (2800 for four shows and a church appearance on their last US tour), but I need some lead time.
That's a shame about your dad, I'm sure he would have loved the performance. It is one of the recurring complaints that many of us have made over the years - could we not get more notice of the concerts? I think the problem for Libera is that they don't have any full time event manager or professional help. It really is just a small group of people who do this in their own time whilst holding down regular jobs and balancing a family life. I think that they do get help with tours to Japan and Asia where they are a big enough artist for the record label to get involved, but for the US & UK they are on their own.

When it comes to organising an overseas tour it just adds much more complication, takes longer, and inevitably means less lead in time before an announcement. I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't recall them cancelling concerts before (part of the reason they announce them so late is that they want to be 100% sure that it is happening so as to not let people down). I don't claim any special knowledge or relationship with Libera but from the few occasions I have chatted to people before and after concerts I'm sure there is nobody more disappointed than them that they have had to cancel these shows and 'let the fans down'.

I can only assume that something unforeseen and beyond Libera's control has happened because it costs a lot of money for their visas and two concerts (assuming the NYC one happens) hardly seems worth it. Of course they may be back in the summer for a second US tour of the year....
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
phineaspgage

Post by phineaspgage »

[quote] I think the problem for Libera is that they don't have any full time event manager or professional help. It really is just a small group of people who do this in their own time whilst holding down regular jobs and balancing a family life. [/quote]

Thanks, Yorkie, for reminding me of the humble origins and nature of Libera. It is a big part of what I love about them--ordinary kids and regular people who, through devotion to something they love, achieve a superlative level of achievement. Their performances place them at the very top of their profession (to my mind), and I cannot seem to stop myself from expecting a vast, multimillion dollar (pound) machine. I know better, of course, but just listen to them sing and tell me this is some mom-and-pop organization. Impossible.

With some time to grieve the missed opportunity and a little distance, I will accept it just wasn't meant to be. At least Red Bank is on their radar. My Dad saw the Vienna Boys Choir there some years ago and said there is really not a bad seat in the house.
labbie

Post by labbie »

LIbera have announced the New York concert:

Church of the Incarnation
209 Madison Ave.
New York, New York

Tuesday, April 15th, 2014 at 7:30 p.m.

I saw this about an hour ago. Other people may already have seen it as well.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Two concerts on back to back nights. Hopefully this puts you back in the game, phineas!

Midtown Manhattan will be a tough location for a visitor coming by car. Will have to think
about how I'm going to make this work.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

tom413 wrote: Midtown Manhattan will be a tough location for a visitor coming by car. Will have to think
about how I'm going to make this work.
Craig posted the following on the Yahoo group:

I asked the church about parking. Here is their response.

“Closest lot is on 35th Street, between Madison and Park Avenue but there are many lots on the cross streets. After 7 pm, parking is free on the street and you may find a place there.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Why not use mass transit to get to the concert? It's possible to park near the Newark Airport, take PATH into the city to the Port Authority Building, then catch the subway.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

That's what I'm likely to do Tully.

The last time Libera had a concert in Manhattan I was lucky enough to score on-street parking, but I'm not expecting
that to happen this time. I have rode the train from Newark into Penn Station and hoofed it around
midtown on a previous visit to the area. I think that's my plan for this time.

Thanks for the information and suggestions.
mbbrose

Post by mbbrose »

This will be my first concert! I am very excited to finally get to see Libera live, especially after seeing their first concert on PBS years ago. Originally I was supposed to see the concert in Keswick, but will now be seeing the one at Mayo. Luckily I was still able to get good seats, 3rd row back from the stage! I'll be keeping notes and plan to do a write up/summary of the concert.

I am very curious as to what will be on the program. Anyone else hoping to hear "I am the Day?"

Any guesses as to what we'll see on the program?