Free concert of Libera at Armagh : 9 August 2013

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Bullehynka

Free concert of Libera at Armagh : 9 August 2013

Post by Bullehynka »

Posted just now by Libera : http://www.libera.org.uk/news/armagh_concert
We will be performing a concert at St Patrick’s Catholic Cathedral, Armagh in Northern Ireland on Friday 9th August at 19:30. Admission is free and the concert will be a Seasonal Performance, to be filmed for Christmas. All our supporters are cordially invited to attend, though we appreciate the short notice will make it impossible for many - sadly this has been caused by factors outside our control.

Because the concert is free there will be no advance tickets or reservations, but please let us know if you plan to attend, and how many others you will be bringing, by emailing armaghconcert@libera.org.uk.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Re: Free concert of Libera at Armagh : 9 August 2013

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Thanks Bullehynka - thought there had to be something more to their Ireland trip.

This is great news, one for the wish list; professionally filmed Christmas concert within an authentic cathedral setting. Could not be better. I wont' be able to go but surely somebody from the fan network will go and report back their impressions.

Note for the editors & production crew - leave your cutting tools to one side and just include everything! :wink:
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

The event is confirmed on the Weekly Armagh Parish newsletter : )

http://armaghparish.net/images/21.07.pdf
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Hmmh, all very sudden. Two weeks isn't leaving a lot of time but you never know - I'll check out flight and accommodation prices over the weekend.

I wonder why this is a Christmas concert and not a new album concert (the thing posted by Patrick says new seasonal repertoire - so new songs not on the Christmas album). Thinking about it Carol of the Bells did really well in MP3 sales last Chrimbo - I wonder if somebody thinks they missed a trick when the Christmas Album was first released and with a bit more of a push from the record company it could well have taken off. So is a re-release with some new songs on the cards?

Who do you think will be producing this? Will it be another American PBS production, a UK TV production, the record company, or Libera's own?
Last edited by Yorkie on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Is it a DVD ?
A TV show ?
A Songs of Praise special ?
Something even else ?

Maybe the answer will be given there in 2 weeks, and whatever it is it's very exiting !
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Yorkie wrote:Hmmh, all very sudden. Two weeks isn't leaving a lot of time but you never know
This should be much easier to pull off for those who are geographically close. I'm going to do what I can
to get there but flights will be tough on this notice.

Although I don't know who is producing it, I'm pretty sure it's not the PBS. Although if the PBS were
producing it, there would likely be another American tour in support of the video. 8)
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Yes still lots of clarification to how the filming is going to be presented to us. If it's for commercial release, I hope they don't over produce it and allow the ambient acoustics of the cathedral and Libera's voices come through naturally. I'm sure they know what they are doing.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Yorkie wrote:Hmmh, all very sudden. Two weeks isn't leaving a lot of time but you never know - I'll check out flight and accommodation prices over the weekend.

I wonder why this is a Christmas concert and not a new album concert (the thing posted by Patrick says new seasonal repertoire - so new songs not on the Christmas album). Thinking about it Carol of the Bells did really well in MP3 sales last Chrimbo - I wonder if somebody thinks they missed a trick when the Christmas Album was first released and with a bit more of a push from the record company it could well have taken off. So is a re-release with some new songs on the cards?

Who do you think will be producing this? Will it be another American PBS production, a UK TV production, the record company, or Libera's own?

Hmmmh!

Will also have to check flights and accommodation.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say its a recording for TV. Funny, I've been whistling seasonal songs at work. I'm already in the festive spirit. :lol:
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
Choirfan
Silver Member

Post by Choirfan »

It's a possibility for me, even though it would mean a 5 hour drive. And being a Friday would mean getting the day off to attend.

But a Christmas concert in such a lovely setting, its very tempting indeed! :D
"You are not alone"
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Perhaps these are video recordings for Songs of Praise?
Horticult2000

Post by Horticult2000 »

Yes, I guess it is for the BBC. I will be going for the first time to Northern Ireland. Anybody got advice about how to get from the airport to Armagh?
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Horticult2000 wrote:Yes, I guess it is for the BBC. I will be going for the first time to Northern Ireland. Anybody got advice about how to get from the airport to Armagh?
Sorry Johan but when I went last year I flew in to Belfast City airport and took the bus to my hotel. To get to Armagh I begged a lift from a very kind fellow fan. Can't really help I'm afraid.

Mercy & Love
Horticult2000

Post by Horticult2000 »

Sorry Johan but when I went last year I flew in to Belfast City airport and took the bus to my hotel. To get to Armagh I begged a lift from a very kind fellow fan. Can't really help I'm afraid.[/quote]

Thanks Yorky, My ticket says Belfast Int. Seems there are two airports there. Is there a train from this airport to Armagh?
Johan
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Horticult2000 wrote:Sorry Johan but when I went last year I flew in to Belfast City airport and took the bus to my hotel. To get to Armagh I begged a lift from a very kind fellow fan. Can't really help I'm afraid.
Thanks Yorky, My ticket says Belfast Int. Seems there are two airports there. Is there a train from this airport to Armagh?
Johan[/quote]

To the best of my knowledge no, there is no train station at either airport. You can get a bus into Belfast (Europa bus station) and then take a bus from there to Armagh - or you can catch a train from Belfast to Portadown and take a taxi (10 miles)

some useful handsome chap posted this

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

I don't know, it's like a bloody morgue in Libera World these days - what's up with everybody? A free concert with filming and there's barely a fart.

Anyway, lets get the ball rolling. What do you think the song line up will be? All Chrimbo songs from the 2011 album (if so which ones) or a mix of seasonal and normal Libera songs?

Looking back at the November 2011 concert the song line up was:

- Jubilate
- Libera
- Joy to the World,
- Still Still Still,
- Song of Life
- Sanctus
- Salva
- Stay With Me
- Veni Emmanuel
- Exultate
- Carol of the Bells
- Gloria
- Fountain,
- Eternal Light
- Sing the Story
- Ave Verum
- In Dulci Jubilo
- Glory to thee
- How shall I sing That Majesty
Encore
- White Christmas

I think it could be very much like that but surely there will be some changes - what could they be? Who will sing Veni if that stays in the line up?

My money would be on a mix of songs.

My only request? Carol of the Bells. Love it. Must be on the list. and Voca Me. And Mysterium.....
Last edited by Yorkie on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love