Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: UK Concert Guildford May 11 2013

Post by Yorkie »

hannah_kirstin wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
Very, very similar to the link I posted above. The piano was the same & Thomas' high floaty embellishments between verses sounded very similar. Just switch in boy's voices to replace the women & it was pretty identical I reckon.
Thanks Yorkie! When I first heard it, I thought it was a treble choir featuring a soprano soloist. :wink: High time for a new album, methinks! The PCSM version isn't bad either: . Good call, RP!
You couldn't tell that version was women singing :shock:

Hmmh, I hope I don't get in to trouble for revealing this - and I won't name names so please nobody ask - but it was mentioned that the song was recommended to RP by one of the boy's mums who had seen the film & thought it would be perfect for Libera. She has a great ear I think because the more I hear it the more I like it.

When is the new album coming?
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Because I love you & I'm also a great guy (no laughing the back) I wanted to give those of you not at the concert a flavour of the intro used for Mysterium.

Imagine the hush in the darkened Cathedral as we see the hooded shapes of 6 or 7 of the older boys appear in the far distance, way back behind the stage, stop in the centre. What was going to come next? Our attention was focused, the tension palpable through the misty haze created by the smoke machine..... and what happened was not what we expected:

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

I think I'm right in saying that the chant was performed without mics and amplification so we just heard the natural voices, distant and echoing through the darkness.....

RP & the team do it again :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TufmraHIh14&feature

#sorry mods, can't seem to get the video to display correctly from my phone #
Last edited by maartendas on Mon May 13, 2013 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed video link

Mercy & Love
hannah_kirstin
Silver Member

Post by hannah_kirstin »

Yorkie wrote:Because I love you & I'm also a great guy (no laughing the back) I wanted to give those of you not at the concert a flavour of the intro used for Mysterium.

I think I'm right in saying that the chant was performed without mics and amplification so we just heard the natural voices, distant and echoing through the darkness.....

RP & the team do it again :-)
Picturing it. Haunting....Beautiful. WHEN IS THE NEXT CONCERT PLEASE!? Need this version of Mysterium on new album as well. :wink:
You are shelter from the storm
The shadows fade away
All cares pass away...
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote:
#sorry mods, can't seem to get the video to display correctly from my phone #
Just replace https in the URL with http ;)
(boy I feel nerdy right now :lol: )

Btw thanks for that description, sounds like Saturday was a real treat. Makes it exciting to look forward to news of a new album and a new concert :) (just in time to learn all the newbies' names and faces, haha)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Just a few comments from me about the event.

The concert was just perfect! I enjoyed virtually everything about it! Big thank you to Libera for this treat again!

The venue was easy to find because you can see it already from the station. It looked really good from inside, the outside was a bit rough (I think it looks better with all the lights at night) however it's located on a very nice hill. It offers a spectacular view over the lovely Guildford city.

View over Guildford

Cathedral acoustics were up to incredibly high standard and the choir did an absolutely wonderful job as many people will confirm this.

Guildford train station. (Notice the cathedral in the background)

Guildford Cathedral. Up on a green hill.

Libera Angel Voices CD was for sale at the Cathedral shop along with many other classical CDs

I was lucky to get a spot on the 2nd row, right next to the centre isle. A pretty privileged place to sit. However, it involves some serious queing! I guess it was for my extra enjoyment that the 1st row was a bit shorter and there wasn't a chair in front of me. Therefore the view was as good as for those in the front row. I was sitting almost perfectly in front of Josh (I’m truly sorry in case I was blocking his view) and his keyboard for the most part of the concert except a few songs which he played on piano.

Robert was even a bit closer to me so I could see his magic hands in action, directing the choir during the whole concert! A lot of choir members kept an eye on him for some reason. Steven was positioned slightly to the left, in charge of the second keyboard. He played the clarinet as well. The string quartet consisted of 4 very, very nice girls :)) and they were placed closer to the right side. The choir was on the stage behind them and it took most of the attention.

Cathedral interior

There was a short speech by the president of Guildfor Cathedral before the performance. To be honest I was later told that the women who gave the speech was in charge of the venue - she looked so young and modest. Anyways, they have done a great job by hosting Libera!

To be continued.
hannah_kirstin
Silver Member

Post by hannah_kirstin »

Murkskis wrote:Just a few comments from me about the event.

The concert was just perfect! I enjoyed virtually everything about it! Big thank you to Libera for this treat again!

To be continued.
Waiting for your full review. Excellent pics, Murkskis! Thanks for sharing. :)
You are shelter from the storm
The shadows fade away
All cares pass away...
Choirfan
Silver Member

Post by Choirfan »

What can i say that has not already been said? (I don't do twitter so i will have to do it here :lol: )

I arrived in Guildford in time for a nice lunch with my travelling companion, and also had a short walk around the quite pretty town centre before heading for the Cathedral and joining the queue at about 430pm. Already a couple dozen people there by that point. As always the time spent in the queue goes quickly as you end up on a tour of the world chatting to people from places like France, Italy, Germany, Holland, New Zealand, South Korea etc

I don't think it's been mentioned here (though maybe elsewhere) but at about 6pm came an announcement by the front doors where some had been gathered for 7 or 8 hours :shock: that we were all queuing at the WRONG place and we were directed to another entrance where there was a small enclosed area (at least we got out of the cold) So there was a bit of a stampede as people jostled for position and some of those really early arrivals (quite rightly) had to push their way through to retake their original positions at the front of the queue. This area was quite claustrophobic but at least we knew the wait was nearly over and sure enough at last the doors were opened and off we went to take our seats. I had quite a nice view on the left edge of the right aisle about 4 rows back from the front. Libera's raised stage ensured nobody's head got in the way of a clear view :lol: The Cathedral itself, while impressive in size, was a bit non descript and it seemed as if they ran out of money towards the end in decorating the place. But however i was not really there to see the building.

Another mesmerising performance by Libera which can be summed up for me in two words: Voca Me

Absolutely outstanding performance of this on the night, and worth the 30 pounds ticket price alone IMHO. Thomas DL just soars flawlessly on this one. Some of the others have picked out Mysterium as the highlight, and maybe it was the fact it was still not dark outside, or it could well have been the wine i drank at the interval, but i was not as blown away by it as i have been on other occasions (Belfast, Chester) As others have mentioned it was really great to see some of the newer boys getting solos for the first time and some other boys (Like Michael UR) getting more responsibility in some of the higher parts of the songs (such as Salva) Was a little sad to see Be Still my Soul dropped from the list as this was one of my favourites at the N Ireland concerts last November but i understand they have to try out new things and not just stick to the same old setlist.

Great to see such a big crowd there and they were very enthusiastic with even a few whoops and whistles at the end of some songs, and a well deserved standing ovation at the end. After some time of chatting with other fans after the show, it was time to leave. Just as i and my companion were heading back to the car some of the boys were coming out of the refectory area and (presumably) being collected by parents and guardians (no bus this time) So there was just a little chance to give them a little wave and praise for such an excellent show.

I always liken a Libera concert to an other-worldly experience. For me, it is two hours of pure heavenly, endorphin-producing bliss. If i were to take drugs, i think it might feel a little like being at a Libera concert. Here's to the next one in the autumn.
"You are not alone"
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Don't know where this really belongs, but it was the Guildford concert that prompted this thought.
I have always been intrigued by a conductor's role in concerts. I can understand the role in the rehearsal stages but when the orchestra or choir have "got it" does he/she really have much more to offer on the performance night?
Watching RP last Saturday I think I may have my answer. While some conductors use a baton, others a single finger, RP uses his whole hands, and what expressive hands they are.
If you can remember, before entering into what is now becoming an illustrious solo career, Matthew Jansen was well known for staring into the heavens as he sang. Not so as a soloist. On Saturday, the connection between the singer (MJ) and the conductor (RP) was uncanny. RP's hands seemed to weave a magic that was the clear focus of MJ's attention - and I believe that the intangible connection between them materially contributed to producing such outstanding performances of both " I Vow to Thee ..." and "The Fountain".
Thanks MJ. Thanks RP
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Yorkie wrote:[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

I'm Dreaming of Home, original film version. Libera's performance was very similar to this.
Libera has a tradition of doing video performances for Remembrance Day. This song would do well for that purpose. All they'd need would be a place to film at.
LuxVenit
Silver Member

Post by LuxVenit »

The choristers for tonight's show

Marc Alvares, Henry Barrington, Anthony Blake, Ciaran Bradbury-Hickey, Jude Collins, Luke Collins
Kavana Connery, Tom Delgado-Little, Dylan Duffy, Ben Fairman, Matthew Jansen, Anthony Kerr-Munley,
Isaac London, Alessandro MacKinnon-Botti, Matt Madine, Eoghan McCarthy, Oscar McFall, Michael Menezes,
Alexander Montoro, Kuba Niedermaier-Reed, Cassius O'Connell-White, Matthew Rangel-Alvares, Carlos Rodriguez
Bertie Smart, Michael Ustynovych-Repa, Sam Wiggin, Lucas Wood

Newbies: Shay Balsekar, Gabriel Collins, Alexander Gula, Timothy Lee, James Menezes, Phillip Russ,
Eoin Shan, Camden Stewart, Roccco Tesei, Jamie Trinder, Mark Ustynovych-Repa

Returning Favorites: Liam Connery, Daniel Fontannaz, Ralph Skan
That's quite a list! I've just one question though, and I've highlighted it. Was Kavana there and you just gave him Liam's last name by mistake? That's what I'm guessing, as Kavana and Liam are pretty difficult to mix up, even if you're in a hurry, but I'm curious anyway. You didn't list him under "returning favorites" either, but I don't think he'd technically left yet...? No big deal, just wondering. :)
“My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary.” ― Martin Luther
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

LuxVenit wrote:
The choristers for tonight's show

Marc Alvares, Henry Barrington, Anthony Blake, Ciaran Bradbury-Hickey, Jude Collins, Luke Collins
Kavana Connery, Tom Delgado-Little, Dylan Duffy, Ben Fairman, Matthew Jansen, Anthony Kerr-Munley,
Isaac London, Alessandro MacKinnon-Botti, Matt Madine, Eoghan McCarthy, Oscar McFall, Michael Menezes,
Alexander Montoro, Kuba Niedermaier-Reed, Cassius O'Connell-White, Matthew Rangel-Alvares, Carlos Rodriguez
Bertie Smart, Michael Ustynovych-Repa, Sam Wiggin, Lucas Wood

Newbies: Shay Balsekar, Gabriel Collins, Alexander Gula, Timothy Lee, James Menezes, Phillip Russ,
Eoin Shan, Camden Stewart, Roccco Tesei, Jamie Trinder, Mark Ustynovych-Repa

Returning Favorites: Liam Connery, Daniel Fontannaz, Ralph Skan
That's quite a list! I've just one question though, and I've highlighted it. Was Kavana there and you just gave him Liam's last name by mistake? That's what I'm guessing, as Kavana and Liam are pretty difficult to mix up, even if you're in a hurry, but I'm curious anyway. You didn't list him under "returning favorites" either, but I don't think he'd technically left yet...? No big deal, just wondering. :)
Kav was there, it is just a typo on his surname :D (Liam returned to the line-up) & Kav has been there continuously since about 2008 (don't quote me on that date though!).

Mercy & Love
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Oops! Really sorry to have messed up Kavana's last name.
I certainly know better. :oops:

It doesn't appear that I can edit the post or I would correct.
Kavana is still a Crossley and still going strong in Libera.

Yorkie is correct; Kavana's first concert was in Buffalo, the first stop
of the first American tour, in April 2008.
LuxVenit
Silver Member

Post by LuxVenit »

Thanks for the clarification. I figured that's what you meant, but I had to be sure. I got a kick out of watching Kavana in Minneapolis 2 summers ago, and he seems like such a great kid. With the older boys being back and Kavana being kind of in the middle there, I dunno, it's cool to me, especially when every concert could potentially be a boy's last in this type of choir.
“My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary.” ― Martin Luther
Karppoo

Post by Karppoo »

Hi!

This was my third Libera Concert. We were in London in November years 2011 & 2012. I think Guildford was the best, or my first one (Christmas concert, very hard to say). I'm very happy because Mysterium was sang in Guildford. I liked very much Isaac London's and Mathew Jenssen's solo parts. But all boys sing very well. All the mysterious music, lights was very nice and Cathedral very beautiful.

I wonder, which countries there were people to watch Libera? We 2 x Finland.
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

Hi Karppoo! When did you arrive to the cathedral? I was trying to spot you, but without any success.

Anyway, does anyone remember or have written down who sang the duet in The Fountain with Matthew? I'm desperately trying to refresh my memory before writing a review.