UK Concert Guildford May 11 2013

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

tom413
Gold Member

Re: UK Concert Guildford May 11 2013

Post by tom413 »

I just noticed we also don't have the set list up here yet. Want to make it as easy as possible
for Yorkie when he writes his review. :)

Dies Irae
Gloria
Song of Life
Voca me
Sanctus
I Vow to Thee My Country
Salva me
Eternal Light
I'm Dreaming of Home
How Shall I Sing That Majesty

Orange Squash time!!

Mysterium
Orinoco Flow
Far Away
The Fountain
Grateful Heart
Ave Verum
How Can I Keep on Singing
Stay with Me
Glory to Thee
Exultate
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

The concert seems to be over now. First reports coming in talk of an
increase in responsibility for Lucas and Sam.

Sam did the English solo on Ave Verum.
Lucas did Eternal Light and half of Mysterium.
I'm also pleased to report Dylan got his first solo
piece, teaming up with Lucas on Mysterium.

Knowing that Mysterium is one of Yorkie's favorites, I'll be awaiting
his report on that song in particular!
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

tom413 wrote:The concert seems to be over now. First reports coming in talk of an
increase in responsibility for Lucas and Sam.

Sam did the English solo on Ave Verum.
Lucas did Eternal Light and half of Mysterium.
I'm also pleased to report Dylan got his first solo
piece, teaming up with Lucas on Mysterium.

Knowing that Mysterium is one of Yorkie's favorites, I'll be awaiting
his report on that song in particular!
My review of Mysterium is that it was fanbloodytastic.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

I agree with Yorkie, Lucas (and Dylan) are trully worthy successors to Ralph and Stefan on this difficult and exposed song :)
All the rest was in unison, the deep harmonies sung by the others, the slow motions of the white hooded silhouettes bathed in purple-blue light, definitively one of the highlights of tonight's concert :)
Eriol

Post by Eriol »

Great concert today, really enjoyed it. It was my first Libera concert and and I loved it. The boys did really well and the show was impressive. I never expected light effects and choreography. This is the way to go nowadays I guess. Also, it was a nice surprise to find out that Josh Madine is a part of Libera again as a pianist. Altogether it was a magical experience and I can't wait till the next concert in UK which will be in Autumn as they announced.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

No reviews? Blame it on twitter, where the usual suspects are communicating in fractured sentences.
I cannot compete with Yorkie's eloquence or Patrick's thoroughness - but for those of you who cannot wait for the good stuff, here are a few lines.

From the outside, Guildford Cathedral, which dominates a hill outside the once pretty town of Guildford, has got to be one of the ugliest buildings in England. Massive, square, featureless, red-brick, thirties style ugliness. Inside, it's quite a different story, much more like a traditional English Cathedral with high vaulted ceiling, elegant columns and beautiful windows. Add the wonderful sound and spectacle of Libera performing on an imaginatively lit elevated stage and it becomes magical.

The orchestra (string quartet, percussion, keyboards, piano) were in front of the stage but did not obscure it. Neither did RP who conducted from the centre rather than his usual position to one side.

I would rate the concert as one of the very best that I have attended. Libera has certainly entered a new Golden Age and last night we were treated to even more new soloists. Lucas Wood gave a flawless rendition of "Eternal Light". His voice is very strong and clear which was even more evident in Mysterium where he and Dylan gave a performance that easily matched those by any of the former masters of this piece. As Yorkie will no doubt elaborate, the introduction by the deeper voices and the superb lighting added further "mystery" to the work. Sam Wiggin sang the English verses of Ave Verum beautifully and with great confidence. He has a warm, expressive voice. I had spotted his contributions at the Taiwan concerts. At one of the autograph sessions I had asked him if he might be due for a solo soon. "I hope so" was his modest answer.
The icing on the cake of the new song "I'm Dreaming of Home" was Tom's solo part. His remarkable control never ceases to amaze.
The other soloists - the depth of Libera's solo talent is becoming unfathomable - all performed superbly as has become the norm.
The audience was very appreciative and gave an enthusiastic standing ovation.
A most successful concert in every way. Despite it's external appearance the venue itself was excellent. An easy commute from London (including Heathrow and Gatwick) , lots of parking, onsite refreshments, helpful staff etc. I would hope it becomes a regular fixture.

John
Last edited by john45 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Thanks John and others who provide great insights for those not able to attend the concerts. Good to know Mysterium was back and with capable new soloists. Did they use the organ, from my memories the organ always gives a little something extra to this song, but then again I'm struggling to remember if it was used in Edinburgh St Mary's 2009 which still ranks very high for me, mainly because of Ed's vocals that night.
Eriol wrote:Great concert today, really enjoyed it. It was my first Libera concert and and I loved it. Altogether it was a magical experience and I can't wait till the next concert in UK which will be in Autumn as they announced.
Glad you enjoyed your debut concert, always nice to gain a new recruit caught up in the libera web ;) If their next UK concert is going to be autumn, that points towards either a summer excursion overseas, or less likely a low-key summer choir holiday in the UK with no public events. Still a more or less certain guarantee of at least one more UK concert this year is always a good thing.

Liam's return to 'white robed' duties as thrown a spanner in the works, after Josh took the record for 'oldest' performing member. He still holds the record, but I think if Liam is still singing with libera in November this year he may overtake Josh. I'll have to do the calculations later on.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Thanks John!

Reading comprehensive reviews is one of the best ways for us shut-ins to
keep abreast of all of the changes, large and small, that occur from concert to concert.

I am very happy to hear you, Yorkie and FDL all liked the performance
of Mysterium. Hopefully this bodes well for it being a part of the
summer tour.

Was it your understanding that there will be a return to Guildford in the fall
or just to England? It was unclear to me reading those fractured sentences.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

I'm Dreaming of Home, original film version. Libera's performance was very similar to this.
Last edited by maartendas on Sun May 12, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link format

Mercy & Love
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

That's great that Libera is putting out new songs! Prehaps it'll be on the CD?
hannah_kirstin
Silver Member

Post by hannah_kirstin »

Thanks for the short review, John45! Waiting for longer ones...anyone? :)
Happy to hear the solos have been well-distributed and many young ones get the chance to shine as well.
Hope they keep doing Mysterium so I can finally hear it live!
You are shelter from the storm
The shadows fade away
All cares pass away...
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

Now on the way home. Yes, really a great concert and one of the best I ever participated and with a lot of highlights! 

The first
  • time with 41 boys on stage
  • solo by Dylan
  • solo by Sam
  • time they sung 'I'm Dreaming of Home ' 
A big surprise was when I realised the improvements in the boys voices since last November at St Georges. Special Isaacs one.
I liked also the introit to 'Mysterium', the 'Kyrie Eleison' sung in the style of gregorian chant by the biger boys ( Liam, Daniel, Ralph).
My highlights of this concert are Sam's solo in 'Ave Verum' followed by 'Eternal Light' with Lucas.
But now need to catch the train.
hannah_kirstin
Silver Member

Post by hannah_kirstin »

Just listened to Scala's version of 'I'm Dreaming of Home' I'm so in love with it! How was Libera's rendition of the song?
The shadows fade away
All cares pass away...
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

hannah_kirstin wrote:Just listened to Scala's version of 'I'm Dreaming of Home' I'm so in love with it! How was Libera's rendition of the song?
Very, very similar to the link I posted above. The piano was the same & Thomas' high floaty embellishments between verses sounded very similar. Just switch in boy's voices to replace the women & it was pretty identical I reckon.

Mercy & Love
hannah_kirstin
Silver Member

Post by hannah_kirstin »

Yorkie wrote:
Very, very similar to the link I posted above. The piano was the same & Thomas' high floaty embellishments between verses sounded very similar. Just switch in boy's voices to replace the women & it was pretty identical I reckon.
Thanks Yorkie! When I first heard it, I thought it was a treble choir featuring a soprano soloist. :wink: High time for a new album, methinks! The PCSM version isn't bad either: . Good call, RP!
The shadows fade away
All cares pass away...