Libera in Taiwan April 2013

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Libera in Taiwan April 2013

Post by Yorkie »

Yes, I know that Anglicanism is a 'Catholic' church - I regularly have that arguement with a Roman Catholic colleague who has nothing but disdain for that concept! - but the usage was clearly meaning Roman Catholic. I just thought it funny that they made such a judgement without knowing the facts :D

I accept that Korea missed out on being a part of Her Majesties Glorious Empire :shock: and therefore may lack the understanding of the benefits of the Anglican church :wink: Not that it matters what denomination or religion they follow of course, it's about much more than that although the message of Christianity is pretty fundamental to their being.

John, is point one in your post about me? I think that sums me up nicely so I guess it must be 8)
Last edited by Yorkie on Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

dani wrote:
viabuona wrote:Together with Google I translate the text
Artemis Art wrote:[簽名會] 為了給大家一個驚喜,我們暫且不公佈Libera團員訪台名單。但可以告訴大家的是,我們現場會有一款台灣限定海報,上面有此次訪台26位團員的照片,並安排在全台5場演出後有5~6名不同的團員參加簽名會喔~所以,全台跑五場音樂會的粉絲們,你們這次可以收集到完整的簽名海報喔!!
that 26 boys will be on tour.

So 12 we know from the video and then boys like

Dylan Duffy (Henry B - as i can not tell which one is in the video )
Carlos
Kavana
Kuba
Matthew J
Tiarnan
Ben F
Luke Collins
Ralph ?
Lucas wood
According to FDL's Tweets the boys singing are:

Alessandro
Anthony Blake
Anthony Kerr-Munley
Ben Fairman
Bertie
Carlos
Jude
Jakub
Kavana
Lucas
Luke Collins
Marc Alvares
Cassius
Ciaran
Dylan
Eoghan
Henry B
Isaac
Matthew J
Matthew M
Mathew R-A
Michael Menezes
Michael U-R
Oscar McFall
Sam Wiggin
Thomas D-L

No Stef or Ralph but I would think they might be about the age to be doing GCSE exams????? Not a surprise really. Josh has been seen at the venue and is helping out with keyboards,etc.

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Back to a very you g choir and the oldest boy would be 13/14 there . Stefan I think has left IMO and Ralph is year 10 so yes could be course work related .

Some new boys as well on this tour .
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

from Patrick and twitter

How can i keep from singing no soloist and was a group effort

Eoghan only back up on how shall i sing that majesty and glory to thee and Ciaran given more solo's which is great as he sounds fantastic on dies irae imo.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I did wonder why they took out Be Still My Soul but it makes sense with vertically no back row and also Mysterium and sanctissima . I assume they took out the songs that rely on the deeper mens voices :)

The reviews so far are very positive and The Moon song went over well.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

I'm not surprised that the song line up had to be changed based on the voices available - I think we thought it would be likely when we discussed it at St P's in March :D

Agree that Stef has probably left but there is a good chance that Ralph might be back in the summer. Where is Kuba though? Was he singing in the choir in March?
Last edited by Yorkie on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yorkie wrote:I'm not surprised that the song line up had to be changed based on the voices available - I think we thought it would be likely when we discussed it at St P's in March :D

Agree that Steph has probably left but there is a good chance that Ralph might be back in the summer. Where is Kuba though? Was he singing in the choir in March?

Kuba is on the tour and also Michael UR had 3 solos, Salva , Stay with me and Moon
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

dani wrote:
Yorkie wrote:I'm not surprised that the song line up had to be changed based on the voices available - I think we thought it would be likely when we discussed it at St P's in March :D

Agree that Steph has probably left but there is a good chance that Ralph might be back in the summer. Where is Kuba though? Was he singing in the choir in March?

Kuba is on the tour and also Michael UR had 3 solos, Salva , Stay with me and Moon
:oops: :oops: :oops: LOL I forgot that Kuba & Jakub were one and the same :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd seen Kuba in your list and when I wrote the names out I put Jakub and completely forgot that it was the same kid......I blame it on old age and beer.
Last edited by Yorkie on Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yorkie wrote:
:oops: :oops: :oops: LOL I forgot that Kuba & Jakub were one and the same :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd seen Kuba in your list and when I wrote the names out I put Jakub and completely forgot that they were one and the same......I blame it on old age and beer.

I just blame you being a silly billy :lol:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Fan_de_LoK has posted a concert review (first half at least) over on the French forum. Furby has also uploaded Patrick's pictures from Twitter:

Libera Passion

Here is Google translates attempt to civilise FDL's post :wink:

Well, I'll try restier snatches of memories. As I have no notes and nothing but my memory, it will be what it will be

Debut of Robert alone in the dark, for spreading the message not to take pictures, videos, switch off mobile phones ..
It launches the music played by a quartet of strings Taiwan University, and the other musicians are Steven and Josh on keyboards, percussion Simon.
RP stands in front of a desk in the corner.

During the intro music while the choir enters the dark, on both sides of the stage, and up to the first song, Matthew Dies Irae Ciaran at RA center facing the audience, others double chevron like this ---> \ \ .. / /
Parties Solos were sung by Ciaran alone, I have not seen assisted by Matthew RA. Besides Matthew RA did not do the soaring high placed behind the choir are Michael and Thomas UR resume this role, alternating songs by

Dies Irae is chained with Gloria Sung in disposition arc. There is harmony acute flies through the first verse "Gracias agimus" and every time I missed to find out who sings it. This time Lucas think I have identified this role, but to confirm tomorrow.

There was a speech presentation Ben Cassius, with Chinese words that have the crowd reacted well

Isaac did a great performance on Song of Life, isolated alone in front.

Ciaran placed alone in front of the stage on Voca me, but from memory he does not sing solo, there are several, they are 4 if I remember correctly.
I really need to take notes me
The high flights were made by Thomas.

Sanctus, if any great classic, sung by great circle arc through the whole heart, with three roles a little more particular, right after Dylan is very long and soft "Saaannctus" on the verses, Thomas made the upper parts of the chorus, and Matthew J on the last verse solo.

I think there is the speech of Cassius and Michael Moose with UR (I think). Were presented older (Kavana, 14 years) and younger (Mark 9). End of speech presenting Matthew J who stands behind them both.

I wov to thee my country once again a very beautiful performance by Matthew J on this song. I have already said, but I love the rising crescendo then decrescendo down on this song, first Matthew alone, then a group of four or five around him, and then all at once the chorus, then the group restricted on the end, and Matthew J alone on the last sentence.

Salva Me, with the difference that it is not Matthew RA at the bottom for the soaring high but Thomas (UR or Michael? I doubt there ...)

Eternal Light: Dylan duo Jude front of the stage, sang simultaneously as long as I can remember.

How Shall I Sing That Majesty, with Eoghan singing simultaneously with Dylan, but possibly with two others to check tomorrow. In any case most solo single. Lighting simpler than seen on other shows, I have not noticed the beautiful reflections or they can do sometimes.
The organ backdrop is very nice but its dark wood and attenuated the effects of backdrop.

Intermission

Many thanks to Patrick & Furby
Last edited by Yorkie on Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

So i guessed right about Matthew and Eoghan and voice change happening it would seem. A shame as Matthew was great on the high salva's but both boys must be 13/14 now.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Yorkie wrote: John, is point one in your post about me? I think that sums me up nicely so I guess it must be 8)
"Broad" , as in wide, yes, a dubious virtue which we share.

I wish you were here to provide one of your eloquent reviews for the absent faithful. The concert was certainly deserving of your literary prowess. Just a few words from me (others will probably have more to say later):

Matthew Jansen must surely be at his peak. I cannot imagine a more moving performance of "I vow to thee... " or a more able successor to take on King Ralph's "The Fountain". Matthew's range and the richness of his more mature tone is unbelievable. I have said in the past that "The Fountain" might be due for retirement, but as long as Matthew J is around, long may it continue.
Michael U-R - what a talent. He has taken over all the high notes (Salve etc) from the steadfast Matthew R-A who now has joined the middle/back row. Thank you Matthew R-A for gracing so many concerts with your wonderful treble voice - and welcome Michael to your new role.
Ciaran too has blossomed into a leading soloist and a confident speaker. His presentation about choral gymnastics was priceless.
Isaac, Thomas, Eoghan, Cassius and Jude performed their well established solo roles to perfection as usual with great support from Dylan, Lucas and others..
I am aware that every Libera performance is an ensemble achievement and even though they may not get an individual mention, every boy counts.
This was most apparent in the hit of the evening "The Moon Represents My Heart" sung in Mandarin. The emotional response of the audience was palpable - reminded me of the Bayan Ko moment in the Philippines. It was reflected in the joyous expressions of the boys, knowing that they had touched the hearts of their audience.

Thank you boys.
Thank you RP
Thank you Libera.

I
Last edited by john45 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

thank you for the review :mrgreen:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

john45 wrote:
Yorkie wrote: John, is point one in your post about me? I think that sums me up nicely so I guess it must be 8)
"Broad" , as in wide, yes, a dubious virtue which we share.
:lol:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on tonight's concert John, much appreciated (and you do me far too much credit I fear). Very interesting to hear about Matthew J continuing to blossom - I thought his performances of I Vow To Thee at last years concerts were great so to hear he has improved again is fantastic news. I have been know to say (if anybody cared to listen & often if they didn't!) that I'm not overly keen on Libera versions of 'classic' British hymns, but hearing this last year was very moving; definitely an Olympic level performance so I can only guess at the heights reached last night.

Nice to hear about Ciaran and Michael U-R, Guildford can't come quickly enough now (assuming I attend of course). I guess it isn't a surprise about Matthew R-A but I'd like to join you in sending our thanks and I hope he remains with the group for many years to come to provide those deeper notes that are essential to the Libera sound. Perhaps the big shock is how well Moon seems to have gone down in a live performance because it didn't grab me from the brief snippets we have heard. However, if it got a Bayan Ko style reaction, I can imagine how powerfully emotional that would have been.

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yorkie wrote: :lol:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on tonight's concert John, much appreciated (and you do me far too much credit I fear). Very interesting to hear about Matthew J continuing to blossom - I thought his performances of I Vow To Thee at last years concerts were great so to hear he has improved again is fantastic news. I have been know to say (if anybody cared to listen & often if they didn't!) that I'm not overly keen on Libera versions of 'classic' British hymns, but hearing this last year was very moving; definitely an Olympic level performance so I can only guess at the heights reached last night.

Nice to hear about Ciaran and Michael U-R, Guildford can't come quickly enough now (assuming I attend of course). I guess it isn't a surprise about Matthew R-A but I'd like to join you in sending our thanks and I hope he remains with the group for many years to come to provide those deeper notes that are essential to the Libera sound. Perhaps my biggest surprise is how well Moon seems to have gone down in a live performance because it didn't grab me from the brief snippets we have heard. However, if it got a Bayan Ko style reaction, I can imagine how powerfully emotional that would have been.

I am still amazed that Moon does not have the offical video out yet, Patrick or somebody on twitter said only about 50% full tonight and so why have they not released the video to help promote themselves - what is the point after the tour ends as its not made for the Western market ?!